2021-2022 hunting thread

markstanco

This how you do it gents. Awesome. The FIL is prob dipping in peroxide as we speak. He is going euro as well. Great deer [mention=680]deadshank[/mention]

Nice. I skipped doing a euro with mine this year. I feel like I’ve done this without taking the face off before. Just boil all day and then take it to a car wash sprayer to clean it up and get out all the inside stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12 hours ago, hookemATL said:

I just feel like it’s going to happen this weekend. I’m prepped and ready to help guide my buddy to get his first deer. He is practically giddy about the opportunity and that gives me a lot of satisfaction.  Just hoping for a fun and memorable experience. Go team go!

That's the most fun for me these days.  Introducing new people to the experience.  

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Probably a pen bred deer that escaped a high fence.  Looks like a long yearling.  Let him age and see what you got.

Yep, keep him close if you can.  Even the "losers" usually end up being great deer.   

An acquaintance used to use the "rejects" from those places on their place for company hunts.  Big high fenced place, but the "culls" off those big time breeder ranches go for like $2500 or something paltry (in that world).  They would be 150-160" 3 yos that the ranch was hoping would be well in excess of 200+".   So they were trash to the breeder.  These guys would buy up 20-30 of them up cheap and let the coonasses and other assorted oilfield trash come shoot them.  Worked out great for them, garner a few million a year in business for a $2500 deer, some beers, and occasionally some friendly company.  I shot a couple over the years that made it past the first year two and turned into some really nice deer.  Over the years, many would get lost, and they had a pretty solid herd.  I know many hate high fences but this place was 2500 acres all in and shit gets lost in 2500 acres even with big fences around it.  I miss that place, and not even for the hunting.  Just riding around drinking beer all day in the high rack, and seeing some just jaw dropping deer.  Every now and then they'd say, fuck it you think you can make that shot, take it.  I have sads now.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Yep, keep him close if you can.  Even the "losers" usually end up being great deer.   

An acquaintance used to use the "rejects" from those places on their place for company hunts.  Big high fenced place, but the "culls" off those big time breeder ranches go for like $2500 or something paltry (in that world).  They would be 150-160" 3 yos that the ranch was hoping would be well in excess of 200+".   So they were trash to the breeder.  These guys would buy up 20-30 of them up cheap and let the coonasses and other assorted oilfield trash come shoot them.  Worked out great for them, garner a few million a year in business for a $2500 deer, some beers, and occasionally some friendly company.  I shot a couple over the years that made it past the first year two and turned into some really nice deer.  Over the years, many would get lost, and they had a pretty solid herd.  I know many hate high fences but this place was 2500 acres all in and shit gets lost in 2500 acres even with big fences around it.  I miss that place, and not even for the hunting.  Just riding around drinking beer all day in the high rack, and seeing some just jaw dropping deer.  Every now and then they'd say, fuck it you think you can make that shot, take it.  I have sads now.

People who rag on high fences grind my gears.

On the right sized place, deer probably rarely see a fence.  I have mentioned this before, but we have a 650 pasture high fenced from the rest of the place.  There are around 20 or so Red Stag in it.  At times, you can drive around and hunt that pasture for weeks and not see shit.  And that's 650 acres where we know there are 20+ very large and large-horned animals.

2 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

At times, you can drive around and hunt that pasture for weeks and not see shit.  And that's 650 acres where we know there are 20+ very large and large-horned animals.

Spot on.  These dudes ended up getting hammered by TPWD for all kinds of sketchy shit (well deserved) and sold the place off.  But they would ride that place 24 hours a day.  And still be surprised at deer that would randomly pop up. And I’m not talking about nice natives, I’m talking some moose looking shit that hadn’t been seen for years. Couple thousand acres of thick brush is thick brush no matter what fence is around it.  Even with the dirtbags who ran the place, it was a great place 

*nighttime stuff wasn’t hunting WT, just general substance abused riding and sometimes shooting whatever exotic popped up.  When I was there anyhow.  Who knows with those fuckers. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

Probably a pen bred deer that escaped a high fence.  Looks like a long yearling.  Let him age and see what you got.

Not sure exactly how I feel about that.  I am hunting Medina county.  It was some of the breeding farms out near Hondo that first CWD was observed in WT. I am not in the containment zone, but not that far away. 

• Hook 'Em 2

11 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Not sure exactly how I feel about that.  I am hunting Medina county.  It was some of the breeding farms out near Hondo that first CWD was observed in WT. I am not in the containment zone, but not that far away. 

Once it's mature, shoot it.  Take it in and have it tested.  Profit.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, RMac5 said:

That’s a nice deer, what do you reckon he is, 3 1/2?   I always like to ask to try and get better at aging.

Yeah. I hope that guys getting some pussy. 

I’d defer to the far more knowledgeable here, but I think 3.5 is probably right. Def not 4. Maybe younger.  Has a rack that in shape at least looks a bit in form like the 10 pt I took off a few years ago. 

Edited by Anastasis

7 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

I’d defer to the far more knowledgeable here, but I think 3.5 is probably right. Def not 4. Maybe younger.  Has a rack that in shape at least looks a bit in form like the 10 pt I took off a few years ago. 

3.5 yo max.  Maybe 2.5.  Definitely not 4.5 yo. 

He is primed for poontang as his tarsal glands are dark   Get to work, young’n!!!

He could be a winner with time, food and rain.   

Edited by deadshank
  • Hook 'Em 3

3 hours ago, Anastasis said:

He's young.  @deadshank is spot on.  I'd put him in the 2.5-3 range.  Set up some speakers around the feeders and pump in the romantic bootie music before a trigger happy neighbor pops him.  

• Hook 'Em 2

10 hours ago, Anastasis said:

I worked briefly for ground zero, and I would not be surprised if the owners of the place tried smuggling in deer from up north. They were the kind of folks who had no compunction against stepping on the little man to get just a little bit richer.

As far as high fence breeding places go, it's not a bad deal if you are some kind of executive who only gets one weekend a year to go hunting. If you have the money to pay, you are pretty much guaranteed get a nice deer,  but if you have one particular deer in mind you are going to have to work for it.

Still, it's an interesting business. They keep the deer in pens and bottle raise them because they are worth so much money, but they are still wild. The whole purpose of bottle raising them is to keep them from getting spooked and running into the fence and breaking their neck. Once they are mature, they dart them before the season starts, measure them, and then put a color coded button in their ear based on the score. That way the guide can easily tell them how much money they will have to spend to shoot whichever deer walks out in front of their blind.

10 hours ago, deadshank said:

Wonder why bucks lose weight during the rut?   This video was sent to me from one of the guys in our camp.  He said this buck covered near 2 miles of sendero looking for a hot doe while he was watching him.  

If you could only get nasty during a select period of time.  I’d be hustling….

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/11/2021 at 10:07 AM, deadshank said:

Wonder why bucks lose weight during the rut?   This video was sent to me from one of the guys in our camp.  He said this buck covered near 2 miles of sendero looking for a hot doe while he was watching him.  

Me back in day at Dallas Nite Club at 1:45am. 

• Like 1

This weekend wasn't a total bust. I saw the deer I wanted to shoot but he was hiding out in the brush and my only shot would have been north of 200yds.

I saw that two younger 8s that I was praying nobody would shoot have made it this far. They both have prototypical racks perfect symmetry. Just perfect hillcountry deer. Hope they can breed for 2 more seasons but I doubt they survive their 4th year.

We are covered up with deer. 5 years of feeding and light hunting has made it a great place to hunt.

Oh and I killed one pig and hit another in the ass but never found it. Great weekend of peace and quiet.

• Hook 'Em 3

32 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

That sucks and happens to virtually everyone at least once.  Those industrial tornado tie-downs need to be the next move.  Anchor that SOB down nice and tight.  

I did have 2 trailer home anchors actually.  I should have buried them deeper and will next time.   

• Hook 'Em 1