2021-2022 hunting thread

markstanco

We had committed to a night hunt for hogs only to find out that they had been clearing cotton finally these last 2 days…

Got lucky and had 1 lone hog come check out the feeder. Shot him through the head and blew out his lower mouth. Follow up shot while he was running hit him in the gut and he couldn’t get away after that. Sad that I can’t get his cutters.

23c007edf48e08e92279a6cc3d5aa72b.jpg

Funny thing is, that’s not the pistol I used… used my galil but when we walked in to find it, I wanted my green dot with magnification.

At first I thought this was the massive Razorback that has been on cam all fall. This was #2, he’s not as big but just as nasty.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Fortunately I had presence of mind enough to take a cups of ice with me to the blind. 

Bought a cool flask in Wimberly last summer.  Little man goes everywhere with me now.  No ice, but still does me well.  

And always pack a plastic grocery bag and a small pack of baby wipes.  Too many times, coming home minus socks, shirts, etc.  F all that.  It's a blind, not hiking up the side of a mountain.  I have a little 5.11 MOAB single strap bag with all my gear in it.  Knives, gloves, binos, tourniquets, scissors, Tylenol, etc.  

• Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Y’all have some outstanding deer. 

Thanks.  When we got the joint 8 years ago it was a drought-ridden, over hunted graveyard.  Crickets wouldn’t even jump.  

The drought ended, we shot all the turd merchants and passed on the good bucks that were left.   

We are fortunate to have the place and members that aren’t egomaniacal one-uppers that have to shoot a big buck every year. .  

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, deadshank said:

Thanks.  When we got the joint 8 years ago it was a drought-ridden, over hunted graveyard.  Crickets wouldn’t even jump.  

The drought ended, we shot all the turd merchants and passed on the good bucks that were left.   

We are fortunate to have the place and members that aren’t egomaniacal one-uppers that have to shoot a big buck every year. .  

You probably already said, but where are you located?

Proof that deer management works over the long haul.

1 hour ago, deadshank said:

I hope you realize I know it’s not by accident. It’s absolutely apparent the work (and $$$) y’all pour into that place. And it shows. I’ve been a regular guest on a few really well managed places and it’s always so cool to see the big guys pop in semi regularly.   We’re lucky in that no one here is super mad at the horns. Sure everyone would love to get something, but no one is killing young/potential bucks just to have something on the ground that year.  I always seem to have a bunch of really nice 3 yos that go deep into the unknown but we’re not shooting them.  Like to think they’re just really deep out in the thick stuff. 

• Hook 'Em 2

7 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

I hope you realize I know it’s not by accident. It’s absolutely apparent the work (and $$$) y’all pour into that place. And it shows. I’ve been a regular guest on a few really well managed places and it’s always so cool to see the big guys pop in semi regularly.   We’re lucky in that no one here is super mad at the horns. Sure everyone would love to get something, but no one is killing young/potential bucks just to have something on the ground that year.  I always seem to have a bunch of really nice 3 yos that go deep into the unknown but we’re not shooting them.  Like to think they’re just really deep out in the thick stuff. 

When we bought our place 4 years ago there were maybe 7 doe coming to the one feeder they had and you would maybe see 2-3 younger bucks. I have fed, watered, supplemented protein here and there, and planted some small plots. This year we are finally seeing the fruits of our labor. This week I had 23 doe/yearlings coming to one feeder and 8 or so 2-3 yr old bucks at another feeder. The third feeder has another little family unit of 7 doe/young bucks/yearlings that roll through. We have two doe that have dropped twins 2 years running and we have made it clear they won't get shot until they get really old. They stay at the center of the property basically between the water and the feeder. We took the one 7 pt deer I posted this year and my fil killed that old 8. That was it. Next year I will start phase 2 of the program and start harvesting doe and bucks to keep the balance. It has been alot of work for very little meat so far but things are looking bright into the future when I can pass this place on to my kids. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, TexasEd said:

Got out of the blind and three doe walked in behind me and two small bucks in front as I was was leaving. 

Last time I took my son out to brother’s place near Briggs 35 years ago, we saw nada while in the blind.

Later when we headed home and locked the gate, there must have been almost a dozen of them out in the lane and across the neighbor’s fence to see us off. Lol

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, RMac5 said:

What a great time for the young men, I’m sure they will never forget it. The 28g is my favorite shotgun by far.

We quail hunted this last week and I took my .410.  There will be a 28 or 410 OU on my very near future.  What a good time.  We are covered up in them this year. 

• Hook 'Em 1

31 minutes ago, RMac5 said:

They are a blast for sure. Are the 410 shells spendy? I know the 28g can be hard to find and expensive. I want the Ceaser Guerini Ellipse Curve in 28G pretty fn bad.

Yes, they are, and always have been notably more expensive for some reason. Same with 28. Love me some CG, and then throw some titties on it? Perfect. 

I passed on a really nice CG 20 in a divorce sale once that I’m still a bit upset about 

• Hook 'Em 2

23 w/ a feels like of 10 here @ the ranch. Little buddy heater is going in the blind. Any of you Surly 1%’s on here own a dozer for the ranch ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah my folks have one. When we were really clearing cedar I could push down and pile over 500 cedar trees a day. Really works best to use the dozer to push the brush into small piles and then use a skid steer with grapple to shuttle the small piles to a larger burn pile area. Cab machines are the only way to work brush fires; I’ll never go back to open machines.

1ab24db9b8c32dbd810aceb3b562e831.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

Well, we finally got our trailer mounted Tank Blind out to the lease for the last two weeks. I built this unit for a guy outta Alberta, Canada, but you can't move them across the border unless you have a Federally issued manufacturer's license. I had over $10k in the trailer, and he had paid $6500 for the blind. I was going to sell it at a loss, but CHIEF Jr. talked me into keeping it. It was the biggest and baddest one we ever built. So I bought the blind from him, and gave him a "good luck, and sorry". Here is one like it, I had built earlier, but he put in extra windows, had it insulated, and added a shooting bench, gun rack, window screens, and a bunch of other shit:

Tankblindtrailer.jpg

CHIEF Jr. sat in it on the first morning with it about 70 degrees inside, looked at me, and said he will probably never go back to sitting outside unless it is hot. It is huge, and has great visibility. Holds three guys and a weiner dog easily:

Jeffrey-Tank.jpg

With two people , you can take a nap in the floor and watch the feeder out the bottom window:

Jeffreysleepingtankblind.jpg

We set it at one location last week, didn't see anything but a young broke off 12, and a buck that needed to be culled (which CHIEF Jr. shot), we moved it to a new location between the morning and afternoon hunt, that no one was hunting since you could not see anything without some elevation.

CHIEF

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2