The Watch Fanatic Thread

cabowabo

1 minute ago, HoustonHorn said:

I wear a lot of earth tones outside of work. I also love straps. But in a "sports" watch I want a bracelet. Some of the rubber/sailcloth options are ok too, but leather can't go swimming in the ocean with me.

One other thing I will add is that I didn't even pay attention to the quick change bracelet on the Overseas, but damned if I don't use that shit all the time. Never really the leather, but I go between steel and rubber regularly. I use rubber when out on the bike or boat.

Just now, G650 said:

One other thing I will add is that I didn't even pay attention to the quick change bracelet on the Overseas, but damned if I don't use that shit all the time. Never really the leather, but I go between steel and rubber regularly. I use rubber when out on the bike or boat.

Yes, that is definitely badass and surprised it really isn't something other brands haven't implemented in some fashion.

Just now, G650 said:

Yeah, I feel ya.

I'm reminded of this when you say things like "brown suits!" or "no beltloops!" or "only boots!"

I bet we would get along over beers and taste in a lot of areas but sartorially we are miles apart.

Also I want your VC when you are dead.  

Signed,

IWC, Rolex and Tudor Guy

7 minutes ago, huge said:

I'm reminded of this when you say things like "brown suits!" or "no beltloops!" or "only boots!"

I bet we would get along over beers and taste in a lot of areas but sartorially we are miles apart.

Also I want your VC when you are dead.  

Signed,

IWC, Rolex and Tudor Guy

Indeed. I try to get along with everyone over beers. You are gonna have to fight my son for the VC.

I think you'd be hard pressed to turn down some of these gorgeous browns though. There's some nailhead's in the Holland & Sherry Portofino book that pop in brown.

52591820_570782443331376_252266851450043

• Like 1

Just now, huge said:

Id wear that with notch lapel and no pant cuff and oxfords...

Not a bad call. I've been mostly peak lapels the past 5 years but my last linen I had done notch and flat front/no turn ups as well.

I'd start a suit fanatic thread but I think only you, me and @52-80would post.

56 minutes ago, G650 said:

Leather in Va. is strictly a winter use strap.

12 hours ago, huge said:

He's right on all 3 counts.

I like my peak lapel but rare can wear them (in work setting).  Though the olive jackets, brown windowpanes, heavy twills, donegals,s, etc, I can get away with without people looking askance.  The British colleagues are especially at home with it.

3 minutes ago, G650 said:

Great watch, but I would hold out for a later model with maltese cross bracelet.

For that price I'd sacrifice the Maltese falcon...  That's a good looking watch, and at that price point it's hard to complain.

Edited by Onboard 2.0

Ok, I'm back in the market. Will be finishing a huge project Friday, and just got my bonus. Budget of $10K, and I've been saying for almost 2 years my next would finally be a Rolex because I don't have one, and the value just keeps climbing (either the Sub or a GMT).... or do I say to hell with that, and get something else? For reference, I work in Finance at a tech company, so 95% of the time, I'm wearing jeans and a golf shirt, so a sport watch would be of best use. Currently in the arsenal are a Sinn 956 Klassik, Speedmaster, Tag Calibre 6, some cheaper watches and a Hamilton military birth year watch. I know I've had a very similar post before, but this time I'm actually ready to pull the trigger. 

Typically I would hunt for months, but damn it, I've got the itch. Not certain I want to pay full retail, but if something were on C&C or somewhere else for a decent price, I might buy in the next few days. 

7 minutes ago, JSB said:

Ok, I'm back in the market. Will be finishing a huge project Friday, and just got my bonus. Budget of $10K, and I've been saying for almost 2 years my next would finally be a Rolex because I don't have one, and the value just keeps climbing (either the Sub or a GMT).... or do I say to hell with that, and get something else? For reference, I work in Finance at a tech company, so 95% of the time, I'm wearing jeans and a golf shirt, so a sport watch would be of best use. Currently in the arsenal are a Sinn 956 Klassik, Speedmaster, Tag Calibre 6, some cheaper watches and a Hamilton military birth year watch. I know I've had a very similar post before, but this time I'm actually ready to pull the trigger. 

Typically I would hunt for months, but damn it, I've got the itch. Not certain I want to pay full retail, but if something were on C&C or somewhere else for a decent price, I might buy in the next few days. 

wait for another's year of bonus and get a lange saxonia.  nobody says you cant wear a dress watch with jeans.

but if you get the rolex it wouldnt be wrong

Love the Explorer II, but don't know if I want to do the white face. The IWC, I may have to see in person again, also a big fan of Zenith... the fifty fathoms, I've honestly never seen in person.

3 years ago, I probably would have gone with a Zenith, IWC or maybe Panerai (like the $5Kish price range) because I thought Rolex was too "I have money but don't really know watches", but fuck man, even in 3 years, the price of a rolex has gone up like 50%+ and I wonder if I need to get in while they are still around $10K

I'm not a huge rolex guy, but was about to suggest a coke/pepsi pre ceramic GMT for under 10k, but fuck they are 11k now.   This one has both bezels and asking is 11k- so maybe you can get it closer to 10k.   If you are okay with an older watch.   They will always be cool.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=679712

Not suggesting that particular one, im not an expert on rolex - just an example.

Edited by Mr. Drummond

Nice and timeless watch. Can't go wrong with that era of Rolex sport models. I'm sure you know but don't screw with the tritium dial - part of the value is originality. If I ever get rid of my Sub from the same time period the GMT is on the list. The only thing I would change is a jubillee bracelet but that is one fine watch

3 hours ago, Mr. Drummond said:

There is a batman bezel for the 16710?  i thought just pepsi or coke for pre-ceramic.

awesome watch !!! 

Pretty sure it was just Black, "Coke", "Pepsi", and "Root Beer" on the two tone for the 16710. I think the Batman was introduced as the first two colored bezel in the ceramic era after Rolex initially said it couldn't be done with ceramic. 

if you didnt want to spend 5k on a grand seiko, this green seiko prospex is also pretty stunning in color, imo

Seiko-Prospex-SPB105-Green.jpg

its 1k usd retail.  which is fair for prospex, although a tad high for 6r15 movement which used to sell for 500 or so

• Like 3

This could just as easily (and perhaps more appropriately) go in the Affordable Watches thread, but the continuity and timing seemed more appropriate to put here.

Another green-faced Seiko with a 6R15 that's a bit more affordable (Alpinist, SARB017) - generally about $500, though it's been discontinued.

It's pretty small (38mm) don't bother looking for one if you're a gigantic mutant freak.

I just got around to putting a new Strapcode bracelet on it and it really looks like what the watch should have come with (at least in my opinion) instead of the terrible stock faux alligator strap.

It's impossible to do justice to the sunburst face with pictures, but I tried... 19a03870596a0fdb60a7b98a79eaf6d4.jpgc57955e82d60c594795bc2cecd039c49.jpga36a5c93fb6b9d32425518b73ca5535e.jpg3a20855f7fd17e972d9d849943cc1faf.jpg

• Like 1