The Watch Fanatic Thread

cabowabo

15 hours ago, tokamak said:

Any of y'all ever fuck with solar movements? I've been looking for a Seiko diver to be my weekend/pool/whatever watch. Was originally thinking auto but they seem to really be pushing the solar option at the price point I'm looking at (<$200). I must admit that the whole no service, no winding thing appeals to me. Do they work pretty well in practice?

I have 3 and have not had any issues whatsoever with any of them.  All have been great watches.   

Seiko SNE109

Image result for SNE109

Citizen AT4008-51E

Image result for AT4008-51E

Citizen BN0151-09L

Image result for BN0151-09L

Edited by BigDHornfan
  • Like 1

On 1/16/2019 at 6:40 AM, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Raise your hand if you chortled when you read this.

On 1/15/2019 at 7:26 AM, Onboard 2.0 said:

A former collection of 20+ says Hey, My name's Onboard and I'm a watchaholic.....

Checking in here. I thought I was done a year ago, then lost my Magrette, decided I needed to replace it, ended up buying two relatively inexpensive watches, and deciding that I finally needed to add a Rolex to the collection. I'm finishing a major project at work at the end of May, after which, I will finally decide on the model of Rolex I need, and then, like clockwork, I will decide that I finally need to pull the trigger on a Nomos, Glashutte, or IWC because I've always really liked their offerings, plus REASONS  

2 hours ago, JSB said:

Checking in here. I thought I was done a year ago, then lost my Magrette, decided I needed to replace it, ended up buying two relatively inexpensive watches, and deciding that I finally needed to add a Rolex to the collection. I'm finishing a major project at work at the end of May, after which, I will finally decide on the model of Rolex I need, and then, like clockwork, I will decide that I finally need to pull the trigger on a Nomos, Glashutte, or IWC because I've always really liked their offerings, plus REASONS  

I'd be doing a Glashute Original if I had the watch bug right now.

• Like 2

Yacht Master II, imo

• 2 weeks later...
19 hours ago, Cajun said:

I plead ignorance, just curious.  

I haven't read the whole thread, or much of it for that matter, so I'm assuming that huge is anti-Rolex or somethings just not right with that model.

It’s ginormous. And kinda busy, yeah. Not exactly the classic Rolex look. I’m sure it’s the Rolex of choice for rappers and NFL players right now.

All that said, I was still kinda half-serious. The complication IS pretty cool, IMO. And the look doesn’t bother me, I think it’s kinda unique. If it was 40 mm people would probably think about it completely differently.

4 hours ago, tokamak said:

It’s ginormous. And kinda busy, yeah. Not exactly the classic Rolex look. I’m sure it’s the Rolex of choice for rappers and NFL players right now.

All that said, I was still kinda half-serious. The complication IS pretty cool, IMO. And the look doesn’t bother me, I think it’s kinda unique. If it was 40 mm people would probably think about it completely differently.

Ah, ok, now it makes sense.  I know nothing about the YC2.

I have this one and was wondering if I was some kind of doucher for it.  

rolex-yacht-master-40-platinum-dial-stai

10 hours ago, Cajun said:

Ah, ok, now it makes sense.  I know nothing about the YC2.

I have this one and was wondering if I was some kind of doucher for it.  

rolex-yacht-master-40-platinum-dial-stai

I've got the classic Yachtie too, but in rhodium face.

The two watches are so far apart they might as well be from completely different manufacturers  

This?  I mean it's not my preference and it's definitely a busier face, but I'd certainly recognize it right away as a Rolex.  I've gotta be missing something.  The gigantic "Yacht Master II" on the dial is douchey though.  Reminds me of the giant Longhorn emblem in center field at the Disch.  Leave that giant, in your face crap to aggy... 

rolex-yacht-master-ii-white-dial-18k-whi

Edited by Cajun

Just got my 118 series President back from service.  $1400.  Sort of pissed about the cost.  It has been 12 years since new but was thinking it would be 1/2 that much.  My Cartier is 35 years old and still runs pretty good.  It loses a few minutes a week but I am scared to send it in.

25 minutes ago, Gladeite said:

Just got my 118 series President back from service.  $1400.  Sort of pissed about the cost.  It has been 12 years since new but was thinking it would be 1/2 that much.  My Cartier is 35 years old and still runs pretty good.  It loses a few minutes a week but I am scared to send it in.

$1,400?  Holy shit.  

On 1/28/2019 at 6:05 AM, Cajun said:

This?  I mean it's not my preference and it's definitely a busier face, but I'd certainly recognize it right away as a Rolex.  I've gotta be missing something.  The gigantic "Yacht Master II" on the dial is douchey though.  Reminds me of the giant Longhorn emblem in center field at the Disch.  Leave that giant, in your face crap to aggy... 

I'd wear that biyatch,.

On 1/28/2019 at 7:05 AM, Cajun said:

It's very very heavy handed.  Is it 40 or 43 mm ?  I think the bezel over powers the face, and the proportions are all off,  and the "YACHT MASTER " across the bezel screams LOOK AT MEEEEE !!! .  It oughtta light up.  They should have quit with Yacht master I.

• Like 1

I'm in the market for a new watch and think that I'm going to make a leap up this time around.  Thanks to this thread on TOS, I started with the Maratec mid pilot and then got a SKX007 that I'm still wearing every day.  But the SKX is losing more than a minute every day and is looking a little beat up these days.  I'm having a hard time figuring out what I want and what will be a good fit for me as I don't ever take my watch off.  I put an Isofrane on the SKX and very rarely take it off unless I'm playing golf.

I had my mind made up on a Seamaster Aqua Terra GMT for the longest time, but I got cold feet and now I've started looking again and have been running down the rabbit hole on a bunch of different brands/styles.  I like the looks of Nomos' stuff, but they do seem a little delicate and some of the comments upthread have spooked me a bit.  There are a few different Sinn options that I like, but not being able to try one on anywhere makes that a little tough.  I really like the blue faced Milgauss but have always thought that I would stay away from Rolex when I made a big purchase - mainly to do something a little different.  I'm drawn to the Panerai Luminor watches, but I'm not sure if they would look too big on my wrist.  The main one I've been looking at is not as thick as the SKX, but probably would wear a little bigger with the crown guard and pillow shaped case.  The IWC below is more than I want to spend, but damn it looks fine.

GMT - https://www.jomashop.com/omega-watch-23190432204001.html

Nomos - https://www.jomashop.com/nomos-watch-271.html

PAM - https://www.jomashop.com/panerai-watch-pam00537.html

IWC - https://www.jomashop.com/iwc-watch-iw500705.html

I know I'll probably have to change up my watch wearing habits if I spend this much, but do you guys have any other ideas or things I should be considering?  You a-holes are the reason why I even became interested in watches, so I'd appreciate any other thoughts.  Also, would Jomashop be a decent place to buy?  I'll probably look for whatever I end up deciding on used first, but I don't know if I'll be able to find what I'm looking for on watchuseek.

I can fap to all four of those.  

Hey Huge, or anyone, have you sold anything on Watchuseek?  I'm still eventually going to get around to offloading some stuff, but I've noticed on there that...I guess at least the ones I've seen...point to their WuS history/posting/etc to help vouch for themselves.  I have none.  Would that be a problem, you think?

On 1/28/2019 at 6:39 AM, G650 said:

I've got the classic Yachtie too, but in rhodium face.

The two watches are so far apart they might as well be from completely different manufacturers  

While shopping for my DSSD (because I wanted a 44mm watch). The only other Rolex option I remember seeing that carried the larger case was the YMII in 43. But I never saw the II with a white face/blue marker that carried a matching stainless bracelet and bezel. First time for everything I guess.

i only remember seeing them with a white face/blue marker. And a matching blue bezel with a gold/stainless bracelet?

13 hours ago, MadBurgerMaker said:

I can fap to all four of those.  

Hey Huge, or anyone, have you sold anything on Watchuseek?  I'm still eventually going to get around to offloading some stuff, but I've noticed on there that...I guess at least the ones I've seen...point to their WuS history/posting/etc to help vouch for themselves.  I have none.  Would that be a problem, you think?

Yes I have sold several.  It helped that it was always cheaper watches.  Never anything over $1000.  People will also point to their ebay rep for vouching.

It's easy to build your rep buying rather than selling.  Sending money to strangers over the internet tends to make you trustworthy I guess.

I'm in the market for a new watch and think that I'm going to make a leap up this time around.  Thanks to this thread on TOS, I started with the Maratec mid pilot and then got a SKX007 that I'm still wearing every day.  But the SKX is losing more than a minute every day and is looking a little beat up these days.  I'm having a hard time figuring out what I want and what will be a good fit for me as I don't ever take my watch off.  I put an Isofrane on the SKX and very rarely take it off unless I'm playing golf.
I had my mind made up on a Seamaster Aqua Terra GMT for the longest time, but I got cold feet and now I've started looking again and have been running down the rabbit hole on a bunch of different brands/styles.  I like the looks of Nomos' stuff, but they do seem a little delicate and some of the comments upthread have spooked me a bit.  There are a few different Sinn options that I like, but not being able to try one on anywhere makes that a little tough.  I really like the blue faced Milgauss but have always thought that I would stay away from Rolex when I made a big purchase - mainly to do something a little different.  I'm drawn to the Panerai Luminor watches, but I'm not sure if they would look too big on my wrist.  The main one I've been looking at is not as thick as the SKX, but probably would wear a little bigger with the crown guard and pillow shaped case.  The IWC below is more than I want to spend, but damn it looks fine.

I know I'll probably have to change up my watch wearing habits if I spend this much, but do you guys have any other ideas or things I should be considering?  You a-holes are the reason why I even became interested in watches, so I'd appreciate any other thoughts.  Also, would Jomashop be a decent place to buy?  I'll probably look for whatever I end up deciding on used first, but I don't know if I'll be able to find what I'm looking for on watchuseek.

IWC all the way. Check out the DavidSW site. He had one last weekend that I think was pre-owned but the price was good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info!  I requested some additional information on the IWC from DavidSW - that looks to be a pretty good value.

What are your thoughts on a white faced watch of that size - will it be too "loud" on my wrist?  I've read on some of the forums that it wears big because of the 14mm thickness and I wonder if those are just purists or if the concerns are valid.

Regulated means the movement was adjusted for timekeeping purposes.  It doesn't necessarily include any kind of service.  But service typically means lubrication and possible replacement of a weakened mainspring or balance spring or both.  Which would seem to be things one might want to do before or with regulation.

https://timekeeperforum.com/forum/threads/adjustment-and-regulation.21105/

Edited by TwiceHorn

On 1/30/2019 at 4:57 PM, The Royal We said:

IWC or PAM.  I love Omega, but not a huge fan of that particular watch.  Nomos is completely outclassed in that group.

21 hours ago, The Royal We said:

Thanks for the info!  I requested some additional information on the IWC from DavidSW - that looks to be a pretty good value.

What are your thoughts on a white faced watch of that size - will it be too "loud" on my wrist?  I've read on some of the forums that it wears big because of the 14mm thickness and I wonder if those are just purists or if the concerns are valid.

There is a solution, go try one on.  In Houston I would recommend Zadok on Post Oak.

18 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

IWC or PAM.  I love Omega, but not a huge fan of that particular watch.  Nomos is completely outclassed in that group.

They're not even in the same universe of watchmakers.  NOMOS is a Frankenstein watch co.  Not that there's anything wrong with that, but the comparison ends at them all being watches.

I'm going to try on the IWC tomorrow.  I live way out in the sticks, so getting to a shop to try something on is a little more difficult for me.

In general though, if someone has good rep on WUS and on ebay, you guys feel comfortable with making a big purchase from someone?  I know it's not a big deal, but I don't think I'd be comfortable with it without reading so much from you guys on buying used/from a random dude on the internet...

From what I have been reading on other forums there is a distinct shortage of Rolex sports models. Apparently most dealers have Datejusts and other similar. On the other hand I haven't liked many of the Rolex line in last few years - too big and too much added bling. Very happy with my older Sub