The Watch Fanatic Thread

cabowabo

Got the Pelagos back from Zadok.

Saved me $900 by not sending to the Rolex assholes. They were able to re-solder the face legs without distorting the face itself. That and a service was around $500.

Cheers!
e3023791183cd9ec97bc5e6d5b013b0d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 4

1 hour ago, huge said:

Got the Pelagos back from Zadok.

Saved me $900 by not sending to the Rolex assholes. They were able to re-solder the face legs without distorting the face itself. That and a service was around $500.

Cheers!
e3023791183cd9ec97bc5e6d5b013b0d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

what did you do or how did it get messed up?

what did you do or how did it get messed up?

Dropped it at a buddy’s ranch on the stone kitchen floor and broke the “feet” off the face. So the face would rotate in the watch but it still kept time. I’ll see if I can find a picture.

043b5ff643b0640343d06fafd28b5fb8.png

Edit: here it is in January 2017. I waited too long to fix it, wearing the IWC and various Glycine/Seiko/Casio in the meantime.

Rolex center in Dallas wanted $1400 for a new face and service. Because of course they did.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Sam Lin said:

That's actually kind of neat. It would rotate with the hands, or just randomly rotate?

Random.  You could shake it and it would spin.  Probably not the best thing for your movement.  Although I just about shit my pants the first time I noticed.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I had not realized this thread was here or at the other site until recently.  I'm not a huge watch freak, but  as a daily watch I wear a Sinn 104.  It is to me just a great watch both mechanically and in style.  I'm German and appreciate the German made (even with Sinn's Swiss movement in it).  I had mentioned to another poster that I was getting the itch for a more formal watch and just recently I pulled the trigger on a new Sinn 6099 which is one of the Frankfurt models.  I like how the 41 mm sits on my wrist and I like with most Sinns that the dial isn't too cluttered so that i can readily see the time.  Below is my new piece, and then a picture of it playing with my 104.  I told my kids it was their Christmas present to me.

Sinn2.jpg

Sinn1.jpg

I enjoy looking at y'alls pictures. Hopefully some of you like and wear Sinns I much as I do.

PS: Here is better picture of the 6099 I had found online without the glare from my phone camera for those looking at it.  Really a pretty piece.

Sinn-6099.jpg 

Edited by Whitman
  • Like 5

48 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

my sinn brother...good call on the frankfurt.  love the bracelet on it. 

its no MVMT though

Yea, the Frankfurt series comes with both a strap and a bracelet and I'll probably keep the bracelet oni it  I think Sinn's Fine Link is much more attractive than their H link.  I guess it depends upon the watch.  i was thinking about going in another direction with either a copper or blue face model , but couldn't stop drooling on this series and think it is a good complement to my 104.......of course unless I add a MVMT .....lol.

On 12/15/2018 at 1:00 PM, Whitman said:

I had not realized this thread was here or at the other site until recently.  I'm not a huge watch freak, but  as a daily watch I wear a Sinn 104.  It is to me just a great watch both mechanically and in style.  I'm German and appreciate the German made (even with Sinn's Swiss movement in it).  I had mentioned to another poster that I was getting the itch for a more formal watch and just recently I pulled the trigger on a new Sinn 6099 which is one of the Frankfurt models.  I like how the 41 mm sits on my wrist and I like with most Sinns that the dial isn't too cluttered so that i can readily see the time.  Below is my new piece, and then a picture of it playing with my 104.  I told my kids it was their Christmas present to me.

Sinn2.jpg

Sinn1.jpg

I enjoy looking at y'alls pictures. Hopefully some of you like and wear Sinns I much as I do.

PS: Here is better picture of the 6099 I had found online without the glare from my phone camera for those looking at it.  Really a pretty piece.

Sinn-6099.jpg 

A fellow sinner!   I absolutely love my 103 A Sa b.  

Related image

• Like 1

They have both German and English.  When setting it, it will stay on the one you want skipping the other language.  I keep mine on English. Might change it someday when I feel like marching into Poland.

Regarding the bezel of the 104 & 103, it is what is called a countdown bezel.  Slide it to when you are supposed to be there and it will tell you how many minutes left.  Note: this doesn't work for wives.  Still add 15 minutes to your planning.

8 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Like the Sinn 103, I have one.  what I don't like, unless its now been changed, is the bezel is unidirectional and really more just fashion instead of function.

My 104 goes both ways (just like your mom).

The 6099 inset/interior bezel is really just another time zone setting and is set up on hour clicks and controlled by that stem on the left..  It also goes both ways (just like your mom).

Edited by Whitman

1 hour ago, Whitman said:

They have both German and English.  When setting it, it will stay on the one you want skipping the other language.  I keep mine on English. Might change it someday when I feel like marching into Poland.

Regarding the bezel of the 104 & 103, it is what is called a countdown bezel.  Slide it to when you are supposed to be there and it will tell you how many minutes left.  Note: this doesn't work for wives.  Still add 15 minutes to your planning.

My 103 only has German days on it.  It's a limited edition of only 500 pieces so I guess they didn't add the english days to it.

44 minutes ago, BigDHornfan said:

My 103 only has German days on it.  It's a limited edition of only 500 pieces so I guess they didn't add the english days to it.

Nice.  Having one just a little different is sweet.  I like your blue face for a change up too.  I was looking at one, and also at Nomos' Ahoi Atlantik (more of my German fetish I guess) if I get another wild hair might go in that direction.

On 11/2/2018 at 11:10 AM, utxmike05 said:

Picked up an Omega Nato for my Speedy...might send it back. This model sits pretty high on the wrist with the strap under it. This is the Olympic model Broad Arrow.

983cd394e33f67f5962e26e6eee75294.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Needs more sub-dials. I thought 3 was enough, but looking at your watch, I think the Speedy could use a calendar wheel, altimeter and thermometer. 10 dials would be slick.

17 minutes ago, Superhero said:

Needs more sub-dials. I thought 3 was enough, but looking at your watch, I think the Speedy could use a calendar wheel, altimeter and thermometer. 10 dials would be slick.

I know right!  I heard the next version will have a jackass-meter, get your pre-order in.

Olympic rings bruh...do you even love your country?  I wanted a rare model, not the speedy everyone has. 

41 minutes ago, Whitman said:

There was talk earlier in this thread about James Bond's watches and his switch from Rolex to Omega.  I found this article recently going thu each one. I can't vouch for it's level of accuracy, but it does have a picture of Halle Berry.

https://www.watchtime.com/featured/watches-james-bond/ 

There's a website called James Bond Lifestyle or something like that that has them all as well, though not as well one as this.

One of the problems with buying a new watch, is that unless you are saturated or tapped out, you start to look around more at different ones or similar ones or even complimentary ones to what you may recently purchased.  With buying that new Sinn 6099 mentioned above , and it being the holiday season, I have had an opportunity to look and read about many out there.  My German fetish is fairly pure and I have had for daily wear my Sinn 104 for awhile, but while researching for my 6099 purchase, I came across another watch maker, Nomos-Glashutte.  The minimalist design of these is just fascinating and quite a change from my Sinns.  Take a look at this picture I found online:

nomos.jpg 

Wow is that beautiful to me (the watch, not the hairy beast wearing it) and such a contrast to my others.  Has anyone here had a Nomos and can give feedback?  They make their own movement and reading about them it seems they are well thought of.  I am about as far from a snob as possible, but it also appears that Nomos markets a bit differently than other luxury watch brands in that you can buy them anywhere, even thru Amazon (though the price isn't the best).  What sayeth the Surly Watch Mafia?   And no, I can't justify the purchase of an A. Lange & Sohne to satisfy any of my German desires. LOL. 

Checking in with my 956 on an ammo pouch strap. I love the strap but may need to switch it up to the bracelet or black strap for the holidays. Seems stupid, but for some reason I feel like cold weather needs something metal or black

4ed8921d926edc3e1595083a882af320.jpg
634b7ec23c01cb238818dce3a97ee304.jpg

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Whitman said:

One of the problems with buying a new watch, is that unless you are saturated or tapped out, you start to look around more at different ones or similar ones or even complimentary ones to what you may recently purchased.  With buying that new Sinn 6099 mentioned above , and it being the holiday season, I have had an opportunity to look and read about many out there.  My German fetish is fairly pure and I have had for daily wear my Sinn 104 for awhile, but while researching for my 6099 purchase, I came across another watch maker, Nomos-Glashutte.  The minimalist design of these is just fascinating and quite a change from my Sinns.  Take a look at this picture I found online:

nomos.jpg 

Wow is that beautiful to me (the watch, not the hairy beast wearing it) and such a contrast to my others.  Has anyone here had a Nomos and can give feedback?  They make their own movement and reading about them it seems they are well thought of.  I am about as far from a snob as possible, but it also appears that Nomos markets a bit differently than other luxury watch brands in that you can buy them anywhere, even thru Amazon (though the price isn't the best).  What sayeth the Surly Watch Mafia?   And no, I can't justify the purchase of an A. Lange & Sohne to satisfy any of my German desires. LOL. 

Nomos is good.  They have an aesthetic they adhere to (Bauhaus) and do much of their work in-house.  That's something you won't get in the Swiss world until you're in 5 digit territory.  They offer many case sizes which is really refreshing. 

Some of my colleagues who aren't "watch people" have Nomos because it's supporting small scale independent businesses. 

The nice thing about Nomos is offering horsehide strap.  Very fit for purpose.  I have a Ludwig and a sundial as a trinket (check it out).

The other guy with Sinn 956....fucking fantastic

2 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

Nomos is good.  They have an aesthetic they adhere to (Bauhaus) and do much of their work in-house.  That's something you won't get in the Swiss world until you're in 5 digit territory.  They offer many case sizes which is really refreshing. 

Some of my colleagues who aren't "watch people" have Nomos because it's supporting small scale independent businesses. 

The nice thing about Nomos is offering horsehide strap.  Very fit for purpose.  I have a Ludwig and a sundial as a trinket (check it out).

I need to go see one in person at a dealer, because if I decide it do it, the dial color from looking at pictures is all over the place.  I like what that pic I found shows, but then I also see pictures of it (the same model which looks to me like the Tangente 38 Datum #130) which are almost pure white.  I don't want a pure white one.  And then the price has quite a range depending upon country and dealer.

9 minutes ago, 52-80 said:

It really is.  I wish I could get a Sinn and a Nomos to go on vacation together and make a baby.   

14 minutes ago, Whitman said:

I need to go see one in person at a dealer, because if I decide it do it, the dial color from looking at pictures is all over the place.  I like what that pic I found shows, but then I also see pictures of it (the same model which looks to me like the Tangente 38 Datum #130) which are almost pure white.  I don't want a pure white one.  And then the price has quite a range depending upon country and dealer.

It really is.  I wish I could get a Sinn and a Nomos to go on vacation together and make a baby.   

Most dials are silver, so it won't be pure painted white.  I'd also buy it direct from the website, then it drops the VAT, and you have a small chance of it skipping getting charged customs altogether. 

Any other importer is surely going to add mark-up

Thanks, that was my first nice watch purchase I picked myself. Fell in love as soon as I saw one. My wife got me a watch for a wedding gift but it was before I really got into watches and it was a Tag Calibre. Not a bad watch by any means and actually keeps really really good time, but I wouldn’t pick it again now that I know more about what is out there.

Here is my current stable, with the next likely to be an Explorer II

5b741d44f71e59073b36ff62394a2c5d.jpg

L-R

Speedy, Seiko that was my first auto, a Mercer auto, Hamilton from my birth year, Sinn 956, Vostok Amphibian, Maratac, Tag Calibre 6
  • Like 2