The Watch Fanatic Thread

cabowabo

Just now, dcbc said:

Cool.  I've got my grandad's late 1800s (presumably) pocket watch as well.  Not in nearly as good of condition as yours and not functioning unfortunately. 

I was surprised how many parts were available, and not very expensive. Maybe your watch guy can fix it up for you.

• Like 1

Just now, Chewbacca said:
4 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:
Nah, 18k/SS Datejust Jubilee.  I know some rich thought- and taste-less mofos that have no interest in watches and that is their huckleberry.  The only Day Date I can think of is platinum and I think he gave it some thought.  The all gold Day Date is a boomer watch.

Jubilee is for old folks. Screams grandpa to me.

I don't disagree.  It's basically the thoughtless prestige watch of a half-generation or so behind the President.

Got a coworker whos not flashy in anyway, and not even a watch guy at all.  But once in a while - like 1 day a month, he'll just walk in with a PP Nautilus slapped on his wrist.  

Asked him about it once - "oh that, its just something i inherited from my father".

Damn, I think my dad gave me a set of wrenches once.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I don't disagree.  It's basically the thoughtless prestige watch of a half-generation or so behind the President.

And I think I have the explanation for it.  Early GenXer or late Boomer gets the 18K/SS DJ from parents for graduation or some such, while mummy and daddy have Presidents or the same DJ, maybe with diamonds, especially mummy dearest.

1 hour ago, G650 said:

Pretty much. I know a lot of Gen Xer's that have them though. One of my customers project managers wears one. He's late 40's, always in khakis, button down shirt. Gold Day Date is just about the exact watch you'd think that kind of person would have on.

All gold Rolex's will always be in with the sunvisor crowd.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I wanted nothing to do with Rolex, primarily because of the smaller sizes they made, as well as the Jubilee bracelet.  But when I saw this, I was smitten.  I wear it almost every day.

m126300-0001.png?impolicy=upright-majest

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

Nah, 18k/SS Datejust Jubilee.  I know some rich thought- and taste-less mofos that have no interest in watches and that is their huckleberry.  The only Day Date I can think of is platinum and I think he gave it some thought.  The all gold Day Date is a boomer watch.

I actually don't see many of those. I know they sell a shed load, but I don't know who actually wears them. To be honest I can't remember the last one I saw in the wild.

Just now, Chewbacca said:
12 minutes ago, G650 said:
I actually don't see many of those. I know they sell a shed load, but I don't know who actually wears them. To be honest I can't remember the last one I saw in the wild.

That's because you don't hang out with retirees.

Twice Horn was saying the Gen X ers had the 18k/SS Datejusts. I don't see many in the wild. I see plenty of gold or platinum Day Dates on people of all ages.

4 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:
4 hours ago, G650 said:
Twice Horn was saying the Gen X ers had the 18k/SS Datejusts. I don't see many in the wild. I see plenty of gold or platinum Day Dates on people of all ages.

Yep. I only see the gold Datejusts on the wrists of olds. Always fluted bezel with jubilee bracelet.

It's a huge status symbol for some of those guys that have made it.

6 hours ago, G650 said:

That's bizarre.  The 18k/SS DJ was a staple at UT in the 80s and 90s.  They are somewhat less common than they used to be, but still more common than Day Dates round here.  I can think of exactly one person under 60 with a Day Date and it's platinum.

Edited by TwiceHorn

4 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

That's bizarre.  The 18k/SS DJ was a staple at UT in the 80s and 90s.  They are somewhat less common than they used to be, but still more common than Day Dates round here.  I can think of exactly one person under 60 with a Day Date and it's platinum.

Dude, sitting next to gold Day Date at the bar right now, what are the chances?! Ha!

On 8/31/2018 at 9:37 AM, dcbc said:

Cool.  I've got my grandad's late 1800s (presumably) pocket watch as well.  Not in nearly as good of condition as yours and not functioning unfortunately. 

I've got a few old Elgin pocket watches and a couple of wrist watches that were my great grandfathers.

These two don't work:

05_A8_E80_E_1430_4556_874_C_C534_B3_B6_F

This one does:

4_B925_D19_50_E7_41_DA_9_BEB_3_BBD671_BA

973_D4657_557_C_4052_931_F_2_DAF53626_FA

• Like 1

The watch I'm most interested in finding out about is this one.  I could only find one "Amex" watch, and that is a WWI hunter case wrist watch.  Not much info on Amex or Amex movements on the googles.  It's not in good shape but it belonged to my mom's dad, who fought in WWI (he was born in 1889).  I'd take the back off and see if I could get a serial number off the movement, but that wouldn't do much good if there's no database.

035_CD67_C_1233_4_CC3_968_F_086_C69993_B

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

The watch I'm most interested in finding out about is this one.  I could only find one "Amex" watch, and that is a WWI hunter case wrist watch.  Not much info on Amex or Amex movements on the googles.  It's not in good shape but it belonged to my mom's dad, who fought in WWI (he was born in 1889).  I'd take the back off and see if I could get a serial number off the movement, but that wouldn't do much good if there's no database.

For some reason, I don't think its worth fifty bucks in Philadelphia.

15 hours ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

That watch told him when the bombardments were going to lift and shift.

37 minutes ago, RDCanecutter said:

That watch told him when the bombardments were going to lift and shift.

To be clear that watch isn’t the hunter case watch I referred to, the trench watch was the only Amex I could find online. 

http://www.cjbalm.com/watches/watch475.htm

The watch I have might just be a 1920s cheapo, but I just found it interesting there isn’t much info on that maker at all.  

Edited by Judge Roybeanbag

22 hours ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

If there's no serial number or database available, a good way to infer a watch's provenance is physical inspection of the case: 

Remove the bracelet or strap.  Flip the case on it's face.  Unwind the crown and pull it out to maximum stop.  Bring the watch up to your nose and give it a good sniff: 

If it smells like shit, it's been smuggled in someone's ass.

On 8/31/2018 at 4:13 PM, Chewbacca said:
On 8/31/2018 at 12:15 PM, G650 said:

Yep. I only see the gold Datejusts on the wrists of olds. Always fluted bezel with jubilee bracelet.

You must not golf? Lots of young money went gold Rolex, not because they didn’t have the cash for a true high end watch. But because had they dropped $150,000+ for a true signature piece that they saw at the Geneva show, their friends most likely wouldn’t have a fucking clue what it is. And would, out of naivety, think it to be a knock off. Where is the fun in that? Like em or hate em, everyone knows Rolex’ place in the watch world. 

You must not golf? Lots of young money went gold Rolex, not because they didn’t have the cash for a true high end watch. But because had they dropped $150,000+ for a true signature piece that they saw at the Geneva show, their friends most likely wouldn’t have a fucking clue what it is. And would, out of naivety, think it to be a knock off. Where is the fun in that? Like em or hate em, everyone knows Rolex’ place in the watch world. 
I do not do country clubs and only golf a few times a year. You are correct there.

On 9/7/2018 at 5:16 PM, HoustonHorn said:

Great looking watch and the best of the three for sure.  I have the Lander GMT and have been wearing it more than the rest of my small collection combined.  

Found this for my dad at a jeweler friend in Houston. Got a good deal on it. Previously owned by a 90 year old man who wore it 4 times. My dad had wanted a new one to replace his blue face submariner for over 3 years.

https://imgur.com/a/gX1hbOV

He called me last night and said he was getting his blue submariner two tone serviced and asked me if I wanted it. I was speechless. Will update with pics when I get it!

• Like 2