Same shit, same results

Spankytoes

16 minutes ago, nineliveslost said:

I expected a 9 and 3 season. BUT with no blow outs. This was a blow out 

4 loses and I am angry 

5 and I am beyond pissed and dejected 

6 and I'm apocalyptic

The way they played last night and im expecting a 7 and 5 year with a shit bowl game

If you get angry with 4 losses, you had unrealistic expectations going into the season.

That's OK. You're a fan.

We're probably going to lose to OU and Iowa State. 

Keep your eye on Fort Worth.

4 minutes ago, Herminator said:

In the Card vs Casey conversation I wonder if Card is a better practice player than Casey. There is definitely a ‘scrappiness’ to Casey’s game that you probably don’t see in practice. Case in point the horrible pick 6 he threw in the Spring Game. Maybe Sark and company will wake up to the fact about the better game day competitor. 

Of course Card's a better practice player than Casey. It's easy to be a badass when you're assured of not getting hit by the other 11. When it's a game situation and that all goes away, it's a different story. Casey probably doesn't practice well but he shows on the field he's a great player every time he gets a chance. I said it on the game thread, when the OL breaks down and the passing lanes aren't working, do you think Card or Casey is going to get you the first down and advance the drive?

• Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Of course Card's a better practice player than Casey. It's easy to be a badass when you're assured of not getting hit by the other 11. When it's a game situation and that all goes away, it's a different story. Casey probably doesn't practice well but he shows on the field he's a great player every time he gets a chance. I said it on the game thread, when the OL breaks down and the passing lanes aren't working, do you think Card or Casey is going to get you the first down and advance the drive?

All of that is why Hudson Card probably lost his starting job.

At least I hope he did.

One thing I’ll never understand about Texas…

Why can everyone get pressure with 3 down against us, but we can never get any?? Not With Strong, Herman and now it seems like Sark..

Iowa St, OKlahoma, WVU, hell even K-State gets pressure but we have to bring extra people just to get hurries. 

Arkansas really ran 3 down and it was nothing we could do, I just don’t understand, obviously one of y’all pissed off the football Gods,

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Casey's first scoring drive advanced on a late hit on Casey on third down after a pass to Brewer  that had no chance in fucking hell of making a first down even if he would have caught it. I don't give a shit who starts at qb but this Casey " great player" ridiculous crap is just retarded.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Mitch Hedberg said:

I’ve mentioned this same sentiment for several years also. Entitlement, and at the same time victimhood, are the calling cards of the woke society at large and Austin is at the forefront. If not consciously then subconsciously, that thinking does not lend itself to pulling yourself up by the bootstraps when the going gets tough. And if you think we are soft now wait until NIL really kicks in. Not trying to make this a CR discussion, I’m just grasping at straws with how consistently top 10 classes and coaches who supposedly know their Xs and Os when hired can suddenly create a steaming pile of shit when mixed together. And we could just all be overreacting to a coach in his 2nd game who hasn’t had one recruiting class yet that got his shit pushed in with what he has to work with. I don’t think he thinks he can win with either QB. Like every other coach we have to give them the requisite 3 years. Fuck it. I think I woke up drunk. Gonna be a long season. I’m too old for this shit.

I'm almost positive this isn't the real Mitch Hedberg.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, D3zii said:

One thing I’ll never understand about Texas…

Why can everyone get pressure with 3 down against us, but we can never get any?? Not With Strong, Herman and now it seems like Sark..

Iowa St, OKlahoma, WVU, hell even K-State gets pressure but we have to bring extra people just to get hurries. 

Arkansas really ran 3 down and it was nothing we could do, I just don’t understand, obviously one of y’all pissed off the football Gods,

Woke culture. Oh, and Austin.

2 hours ago, kevwun said:

Ha, you're talking about woke culture but don't want to make this political.  Next time your wife makes mashed potatoes, stick your dick in them and then tell her you don't want to talk about the mashed potatoes and see how that works out for you.

As I said above, this is a stupid. If your wife makes shitty mashed potatoes, is it because of woke culture? No. She sucks at cooking. If your diagnosis of the problems with UT football align perfectly with your political views, you probably aren't really talking about football.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

I’ve mentioned this same sentiment for several years also. Entitlement, and at the same time victimhood, are the calling cards of the woke society at large and Austin is at the forefront. If not consciously then subconsciously, that thinking does not lend itself to pulling yourself up by the bootstraps when the going gets tough.

41 minutes ago, Pancho said:

What is a “woke society?”

He spelled it out pretty fucking clearly, I'd say. Which part don't you understand?

• Hook 'Em 1

This is a stupid, lazy take. UCLA just got into a brawl with LSU and kicked their ass. Austin has nothing, absolutely NOTHING, on LA when it comes to distractions, not caring about football, etc. In the early 2000s, USC had celebrities at practice, on the sidelines during games, etc. They still kicked the crap out of everyone for a couple of years (until VY). Austin is a great town but football players are revered everywhere and have been for decades. There are distractions everywhere. Austin isn't special in that respect. If you're looking for the problem, start with the coaches. Teams reflect their coaches.
Pete Carroll managed that USC team perfectly with regards to the distractions. He embraced them and made them USC's identity, then gave the team the attitude that they were the premier college football team in the nation, so they better act like it. USC and UCLA, in the modern era outside of the Pete Carroll years, have been plagued by the same thing that Texas has: a lot of players don't go there with football as their top priority.

Quandre Diggs hinted to it back when he was here. Some Texas players don't love football. And I think the attitude of "all D1 football programs have distractions" is a lazier take than mine. People aren't moving from California in droves to Tuscaloosa. Clemson isn't a popular vacation destination. Some of the biggest media festivals in the US aren't happening in Columbus. Austin is a destination and a primary motivator for some players. We even crow about that. We need a coach who can manage the Austin lifestyle, not just use it as a recruiting gimmick.

One of our best players in history was a 3 star who loved football and Austin was just a bonus. We keep trotting out top 10 recruiting classes who consistently lose, year over year, to teams filled with those type players. I think Mack post-09, and every coach after him, have used Austin's attractiveness as a crutch in recruiting and it has put a lot of fool's gold on the field.
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Eastwood said:

Pete Carroll managed that USC team perfectly with regards to the distractions. He embraced them and made them USC's identity, then gave the team the attitude that they were the premier college football team in the nation, so they better act like it. USC and UCLA, in the modern era outside of the Pete Carroll years, have been plagued by the same thing that Texas has: a lot of players don't go there with football as their top priority.

Quandre Diggs hinted to it back when he was here. Some Texas players don't love football. And I think the attitude of "all D1 football programs have distractions" is a lazier take than mine. People aren't moving from California in droves to Tuscaloosa. Clemson isn't a popular vacation destination. Some of the biggest media festivals in the US aren't happening in Columbus. Austin is a destination and a primary motivator for some players. We even crow about that. We need a coach who can manage the Austin lifestyle, not just use it as a recruiting gimmick.

One of our best players in history was a 3 star who loved football and Austin was just a bonus. We keep trotting out top 10 recruiting classes who consistently lose, year over year, to teams filled with those type players. I think Mack post-09, and every coach after him, have used Austin's attractiveness as a crutch in recruiting and it has put a lot of fool's gold on the field.

Also, football is not the top priority at the University of Texas.  

I was mind-numbingly shitfaced last night.

I don’t think Austin and the university culture will absolutely preclude us from winning ever again. However, it is a somewhat logical way to explain the way some of our players have acted in the past decade or so. The entitled sentiment that “you’ve made it” once they set foot on the 40 acres. There is lack of anger and passion after a loss. There is a general lack of focus and professionalism which either falls on the coaches or they just can’t seem to overcome the distractions that come with the university. That atmosphere can set it’s roots anywhere, not just Austin. A guy like Nick Saban would be great to cleanse that type of cancer from the program. The university would just have to give him enough latitude to do so, which is obviously the catch.

• Hook 'Em 1

Or maybe we should face the fact that outside of the Mack Brown 00s, Texas is exactly what we are now, average to mediocre. Great in the 60s then it started to wain (similar to 2000s to present) as our rival got better, decent in the early 80s followed by mass mediocrity, two bright spots in the 90s (1990, 1995). The modern era of Texas football has been massively mediocre yet we feel we're God's gift to football. We're not multiple losing seasons bad as Tennessee but we're close. 

Edited by mdmost

5 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Or maybe we should face the fact that outside of the Mack Brown 00s, Texas is exactly what we are now, average to mediocre. Great in the 60s then it started to wain (2000s to present), decent in the early 80s followed by mass mediocrity, two bright spots in the 90s (1990, 1995). The modern era of Texas football has been massively mediocre yet we feel we're God's gift to football. We're not multiple losing seasons bad as Tennessee but we're close. 

Too many people in our fan base don't really understand that the best Mack Brown years were outliers. The mid-80s to the mid aughts were a wasteland of heartache and disappointment with glimmers of hope sprinkled in from time to time, see 1990 and 1996.

Edited by David Dennison

Also, football is not the top priority at the University of Texas.  
Specifically, playing football is not the top priority of the University of Texas with regards to the football team. If the team turns a hefty profit, the admin could care less about what happens on the field.

My theory does have an outlier, though, and that's Texas A&M. Players go to College Station to play football, but rather than dealing with the Austin style distraction, they have to deal with a rabid fan base that will essentially squeeze them to death like Lenny from Of Mice and Men. Hard to focus on football when the fans won't even let you breathe.

Just now, Eastwood said:

Specifically, playing football is not the top priority of the University of Texas with regards to the football team. If the team turns a hefty profit, the admin could care less about what happens on the field.

My theory does have an outlier, though, and that's Texas A&M. Players go to College Station to play football, but rather than dealing with the Austin style distraction, they have to deal with a rabid fan base that will essentially squeeze them to death like Lenny from Of Mice and Men. Hard to focus on football when the fans won't even let you breathe.

They are also dealing with and 82 year old monkey on their back.

Y’all need to stop over thinking things. Programs that win have good coaches. We hire mediocre and bad head coaches. 

6 minutes ago, Burntcowboy said:

Biggest concern is OL. Hopefully Flood has some Magic’s fairy dust

second biggest is our DL. I think the lack of rest hurt them as well

third concern is WR. Even when Card had time it didn’t seem like our receivers could get open consistently 

No, the biggest concern is head coach. Until we get a good one, the rest is irrelevant. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kevwun said:

Ha, you're talking about woke culture but don't want to make this political.  Next time your wife makes mashed potatoes, stick your dick in them and then tell her you don't want to talk about the mashed potatoes and see how that works out for you.

Woke culture can be about and the result of a lot of things besides politics. But remind me never to eat the mashed potatoes at your house. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, softlynow said:

Y’all need to stop over thinking things. Programs that win have good coaches. We hire mediocre and bad head coaches. 

No, the biggest concern is head coach. Until we get a good one, the rest is irrelevant. 

We might have a good one. We also might not. We won't know for a long time.

Yeah but now we're fully down the Tennessee road of averaging a new head coach every 3.5 years. You can't build a culture up when you keep missing on the hire every time. We keep missing on the hire because our fan base, donors, and environment are not conducive to building a great football culture. It speaks volumes that Urban opted for one of the worst franchises in the NFL instead of possibly ruining his legacy coming to Texas. Maybe we never had a chance at him. I don't think we'll have many chances at any actual great head coaches because what goes along with this job is not worth it. 

Just now, Burntcowboy said:

Shouldn’t we give him more than 2 games

Bro, we're Texas. We don't give you more than 2 games before you're a failure and we're starting threads about firing you. 

Just now, Burntcowboy said:

Shouldn’t we give him more than 2 games

He gets 3 years. Doesn’t mean he’s going to turn it around. I hope I’m wrong, but good coaching almost always shows up immediately. Maybe not by winning most games year one, but in manufacturing close losses and a few wins when outmatched in personnel. There was zero evidence of that last night, and plenty of evidence of a lack of ability. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

We might have a good one. We also might not. We won't know for a long time.

Know for sure? True. Not til at least game 2-3 next year, and maybe longer. Know from history that a guy with his track record has the look of a failure here? Absolutely. If there’s a bet to be made here, say o/u 3.5 years the percentages say take the under on Sark’s time here. 

8 minutes ago, Eastwood said:

I've lived here in aggyland for 30 years and see players  out and about all the time and I don't see people asking for autographs or anything, I don't think it's any different than other college towns, it's not like they all have to just fly in for games like Johnny fuckhead.

I’ve mentioned this same sentiment for several years also. Entitlement, and at the same time victimhood, are the calling cards of the woke society at large and Austin is at the forefront. If not consciously then subconsciously, that thinking does not lend itself to pulling yourself up by the bootstraps when the going gets tough. And if you think we are soft now wait until NIL really kicks in. Not trying to make this a CR discussion, I’m just grasping at straws with how consistently top 10 classes and coaches who supposedly know their Xs and Os when hired can suddenly create a steaming pile of shit when mixed together. And we could just all be overreacting to a coach in his 2nd game who hasn’t had one recruiting class yet that got his shit pushed in with what he has to work with. I don’t think he thinks he can win with either QB. Like every other coach we have to give them the requisite 3 years. Fuck it. I think I woke up drunk. Gonna be a long season. I’m too old for this shit.

Hey dipshit, "pulling yourself up from your bootstraps" is an ironic saying that caught on with morons too stupid to get the sarcasm. It's literally impossible to pull oneself up from their boot straps, if you are leaning into the mentality that you're going to pull yourself up from your boot straps to right your wrongs, you are purposefully buying into the impossible.

It's funny how hypocritical those who bitch about "woke culture" are. You are weeping about entitlement, because you think you're entitled to watch a bunch of 19 year olds run around for your pleasure and to give you victories by osmosis. And that because you didn't get to feel slight tingle in your tiny dick while riding the accomplishments of some kids you'll never even meet face to face, you're now the victim of this big bad "let's stop beating up black people" culture, said without a hint of irony. Get fucked.

You woke up drunk because you're a miserable alcoholic riddled with brain damage and the early stages of dementia. You are indeed too old for this shit, I recommend a bleach IV to fix that.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Fuck You 4

2 hours ago, Texasrocks said:

Our D-line has to be the biggest disappointment of the year so far. They were supposed to be one of the best in the country and so far they stink. Bo Davis is a great recruiter, but he's doing less with more than any other position group. The O-line is worse, which was expected. Still, there's no sign they've improved since last year. The secondary was also supposed to be a strength, but it's hard to gauge how they were doing because the game plan sucked.

Not happy with Kwiatowski trotting 2 d-lineman and 2 "jack" or whatever he calls his undersized defensive ends that are only out there to pass rush. It was the 2nd half and we had 2 guys in there to stop the rush. Wtf. That's why they mauled us. Aside from the fact that our all-conference (/s) D-tackles played like pussies. 

59 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

If you get angry with 4 losses, you had unrealistic expectations going into the season.

That's OK. You're a fan.

We're probably going to lose to OU and Iowa State. 

Keep your eye on Fort Worth.

TCU is a loss. Arkie is no better than the 6th best team on our schedule and they cornholed us. The only penciled in wins are Rice and Kansas. 

5 minutes ago, softlynow said:

Know for sure? True. Not til at least game 2-3 next year, and maybe longer. Know from history that a guy with his track record has the look of a failure here? Absolutely. If there’s a bet to be made here, say o/u 3.5 years the percentages say take the under on Sark’s time here. 

That sounds about right. Texas can afford to gamble and lose. 

I've lived here in aggyland for 30 years and see players  out and about all the time and I don't see people asking for autographs or anything, I don't think it's any different than other college towns, it's not like they all have to just fly in for games like Johnny fuckhead.
It's a mental squeeze. They presented Jimbo with a national championship plaque with the date empty, for Christ's sake.

On the wins front, I expected 8-4 this season with no expectation as to how the losses looked. I think this loss was as bad as it was because he hung onto Card way too long. If he pulled Card middle of the 2nd, we have a ballgame. Let's see if he makes that mistake again.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Herminator said:

In the Card vs Casey conversation I wonder if Card is a better practice player than Casey. There is definitely a ‘scrappiness’ to Casey’s game that you probably don’t see in practice. Case in point the horrible pick 6 he threw in the Spring Game. Maybe Sark and company will wake up to the fact about the better game day competitor. 

I definitely think card looks better in practice. Especially when it’s a non pressure situation and he’s relaxed. Card has all the tools but you could tell on his first drop back his feet looked really choppy and panicky AF! I keep waiting for him to get up and we see a huge doo doo stain on his icy whites. Fuck so embarrassing last night.

Another thing non Texas fans don’t get is the “we can just tell sark won’t be the guy”. The wheels of being unprepared and not focused shouldn’t happen the second game of your tenure. I told a arky fan if we come out out and go 3 and out after a halftime of adjustments to go through and you don’t attack what the defense is doing you are showing me your time here will be short. Mind blowing how bad we looked to start the third. So bad I was literally wishing we still had Herman.

• Hook 'Em 1

I mean yeah it’s game two, and much remains to be seen about how the Sark era will play out. But it took Sark two weeks to fail harder than Mensa ever did in four years, so for someone who never liked or understood the hire to begin with this sure doesn’t make me see it any different. If we’d let Herman have another season to try and get over the hump we’d be in a better position than we are today. Better because we wouldn’t have just been utterly crushed for 60 minutes by a team that sucks, and because we’d still be in a position to fire a middling coach and get a good one if that opportunity came up. We’re stuck with Sark for 3-4 years at least.

Maybe Sark will put it all together here, anything’s possible. I just can’t see any reason to think it will happen.

6 minutes ago, Thermos H. Christ said:

I mean yeah it’s game two, and much remains to be seen about how the Sark era will play out. But it took Sark two weeks to fail harder than Mensa ever did in four years, so for someone who never liked or understood the hire to begin with this sure doesn’t make me see it any different. If we’d let Herman have another season to try and get over the hump we’d be in a better position than we are today. Better because we wouldn’t have just been utterly crushed for 60 minutes by a team that sucks, and because we’d still be in a position to fire a middling coach and get a good one if that opportunity came up. We’re stuck with Sark for 3-4 years at least.

Maybe Sark will put it all together here, anything’s possible. I just can’t see any reason to think it will happen.

Didn’t Mensa lose to a MD team that didn’t even have a coach?

Edited by Spankytoes

10 hours ago, Eastwood said:

Careful, now. Hinting that maybe Austin and the UT campus might be the problem because recruits are coming to Texas more to party and live the Austin lifestyle rather than play football will get you shouted down on this board. I've been saying that for a couple years now and it always was met with hostility. But let's be honest, there's a lot in Austin that is offered to young superstars and those things don't hinge on winning or losing.

Texas football players have been way too comfortable for a while, now.

I'm not sure they're coming for that express purpose, but the environment would seem to push them in that direction.

12 hours ago, hookem48 said:

Sark doesn't want his qb running, he has said it a million times, he wants his offense run. Thompson looked better because he took off running immediately a couple times and it was also garbage time.  I think you're going to be worried.

I agree. I don't think there was this huge difference between the 2. Casey played a little better but it's not like he lit it up. I think if 2 guys are pretty close you go with younger. Doesn't matter anyway our line sucks so you could have Colt back there and it wouldn't matter that much. 

6 minutes ago, Spankytoes said:

Didn’t Mensa lose to a MD team that didn’t even have a coach?

Yeah but we were at least in the game and looked like we could win it if we’d just get our shit together. Tom Herman absolutely lost games and very nearly lost games to teams who never should’ve been competitive with us. He just didn’t get blown the fuck out by anybody. He never trotted out a team that didn’t look like they belonged on the field with the opponent.

The team we trotted out last night had absolutely no chance of even making it a contest with a basement dwelling Arky team that has won 3 conference games in 3 years, led by a position coach.

Yes, yes, yes.

Herman had some great games. Strong had some pretty strong ones. ArKansas came out ready. But great coaches are consistent and sustainable. Really, the truly elite are rare. Kelly at Notre Dame is probably top 5 right now, but he isn’t elite. And he could have been 0-2 with a loss to Toledo and a crappy FSU team.

It’s way too early to give up on this staff, but that was the most disappointing performance in quite awhile.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Looks to me like the team was a bit out of shape. The D wasn't ready for a test like this. That said, had Casey started this game, they would have had a lot more rest, and likely we would have won the game. It is far from time to panic. What really matters is how Sark adjusts his schemes to compensate for weaknesses. He's a good coach with good Asst. Coaches. 

Also looks like the team needed a leader on offense. Somebody to rally around. Watching Card's shit show didn't help anybody give the extra 20% a championship team needs. Under Casey, Sark's Offense took off. We will need a QB who runs, and Casey needs to stay healthy. Card was way to green to be running this O. His long passes were abysmal. Casey won't make those shit throws, and we're going to be scoring a lot very soon, assuming the receivers can begin catching balls.

2 hours ago, OU Sucks said:

Sark is the non-asshole version of Turtle Tom -- change my mind.

1) Bad personnel decisions:
Turtle: Keontay over Bijan and RoJo; not using RoJo at the goal line
Sark: Card over Casey and not switching until it was way too late; not using RoJo at the goal line

2) Bad play calling:
Turtle: Trying to hammer Sam in at the goal line on 4 straight attempts
Sark: Trying to hammer K. Robinson in at the goal line on 3 straight attempts; Trying to hammer Bijan through on a 4th and 2 when everyone knew it was coming and when our OL was severely outmatched

3) Not planning around our weak OL

4) Poor in-game decisions:
Turtle: Not taking the points on chip-shots
Sark: Trying to take the points on 50+ yard FG attempts.  Could we at least try Bert Auburn?

5) Personality:
Turtle: Asshole
Sark: Too nice; won't even confront the refs over late cheap shots against our QB and multiple missed targetings

Pretty good analogies.  We saw this early, but it became a pattern.

Add in, poor staff hires.

Sarkisian isn't locked into this pattern as Herman appeared to be after accumulating a bunch of data points.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

Looks to me like the team was a bit out of shape. The D wasn't ready for a test like this. That said, had Casey started this game, they would have had a lot more rest, and likely we would have won the game. It is far from time to panic. What really matters is how Sark adjusts his schemes to compensate for weaknesses. He's a good coach with good Asst. Coaches. 

Also looks like the team needed a leader on offense. Somebody to rally around. Watching Card's shit show didn't help anybody give the extra 20% a championship team needs. Under Casey, Sark's Offense took off. We will need a QB who runs, and Casey needs to stay healthy. Card was way to green to be running this O. His long passes were abysmal. Casey won't make those shit throws, and we're going to be scoring a lot very soon, assuming the receivers can begin catching balls.

first Casey scoring drive, 3rd and 9 at midfield, Brewer goes out to the left flat, 3 defenders go with him and that's where Casey goes with the ball, even if Brewer catches it it's a 4 yard gain at best, we get bailed out when a defender tackles Casey 2 seconds after he throws the ball. The rest of the drive is Casey running the ball. Sark's offense didn't take off. Herman's offense took off.

I pretty much felt like from the get-go that it was going to take half a season to dial the team in right. That doesn't make watching last night any easier, but we should give the team the proper chance to right the ship. If this ends up being the only ugly loss and it serves to wake them up? .. Then I probably won't be mad about it for very long.

• Hook 'Em 4

13 minutes ago, hookem48 said:

first Casey scoring drive, 3rd and 9 at midfield, Brewer goes out to the left flat, 3 defenders go with him and that's where Casey goes with the ball, even if Brewer catches it it's a 4 yard gain at best, we get bailed out when a defender tackles Casey 2 seconds after he throws the ball. The rest of the drive is Casey running the ball. Sark's offense didn't take off. Herman's offense took off.

Give this guy some time. Casey hit several clutch passes. He moved well in the pocket and he knew when to turn upfield. Is he Vince Young durable? Doubt it, but he's quick and picks up first downs. Vince knew when to get out of bounds. Casey needs to figure that out. Keep your fingers crossed. We might be seeing the dawn of the Casey Thompson era.

• Hook 'Em 2