Same shit, same results

Spankytoes

19 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

Sure, but Urban wasn’t the coach at Ohio St last year…we weren’t trying to hire him away, he wasn’t coaching. Are you suggesting that Texas shouldn’t have tried to hire him? 

Also - what are the “easy answers” Texas has been looking for? Trying to see if the best coaches would like to work there? I mean, why wouldn’t they ask? Wasn’t Urban an “easy answer” for Ohio St? Seems like easy answers often have great potential to be the best answers, no?

I never said Texas was trying to hire Urban away. I gave the example of Texas thinking they could hire Saban away from Bama. Sure, Urban was just working for Fox Sports at the time. I guess I was just accidentally correct in thinking he’d never take the Texas job after winning a national championship at tOSU, going undefeated against Michigan, and making himself a legend in his home state.

”We’re Ohio State!” means every bit as much up here as “We’re Texas!” means down there. The difference is that you all don’t seem to get that. 

27 minutes ago, mdmost said:

This was why I was a little worried about Sark's hire. There's a lot of risk and a whole of upside to the move. But he's also not the guy I see instilling a culture that we need. Maybe winning is all we need. We definitely need an offensive mind to win in the Big 12. He also brings SEC experience which we're obviously going to need now. But is he the alpha we need as head coach? That's my worry. He's very low key and cerebral. Maybe that works but he wasn't my first choice. And yes it very early and very unfair to push the panic button. But that tends to happen after you get blown out for the first time in forever in game 2 of the new guy's tenure.

We got lucky in the hire or we didn't. It's really no more complicated than that.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I never said Texas was trying to hire Urban away. I gave the example of Texas thinking they could hire Saban away from Bama. Sure, Urban was just working for Fox Sports at the time. I guess I was just accidentally correct in thinking he’d never take the Texas job after winning a national championship at tOSU, going undefeated against Michigan, and making himself a legend in his home state.

”We’re Ohio State!” means every bit as much up here as “We’re Texas!” means down there. The difference is that you all don’t seem to get that. 

Ok, but you indicated that Texas’s problem has been trying to chase “easy choices.” What does that mean? I am sure that “we’re Ohio St” does mean the same thing - that was my point, that every prominent AD has that element, and that it isn’t unique to Texas, and thus isn’t Texas’s primary problem for the rut the football program is in. 

Just now, Hank Chinaski said:

Ok, but you indicated that Texas’s problem has been trying to chase “easy choices.” What does that mean? I am sure that “we’re Ohio St” does mean the same thing - that was my point, that every prominent AD has that element, and that it isn’t unique to Texas, and thus isn’t Texas’s primary problem for the rut the football program is in. 

Is it really a problem, though? There don't seem to be any negative consequences for Texas trotting out a mediocre football program. 

That's one of this program's biggest problems. It never has to deal with fallout associated with putting out a shitty product. We all keep consuming Texas football to such an extent that a program which has been thoroughly mediocre for over a decade now still makes more money than the programs that have the most success on the field.

We really are the Dallas Cowboys of college football. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 2

Just now, David Dennison said:

That's one of this program's biggest problems. It never has to deal with fallout associated with putting out a shitty product. We all keep consuming Texas football to such an extent that a program which has been thoroughly mediocre for over a decade now still makes more money than the programs that have the most success on the field.

We really are the Dallas Cowboys of college football. 

Being top 2 in revenue for the last 10 years while having the worst decade in program history says it all and why we won’t see significant changes to structure and line of thinking. 

WE’RE TEXAS!

3 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Being top 2 in revenue for the last 10 years while having the worst decade in program history says it all and why we won’t see significant changes to structure and line of thinking. 

WE’RE TEXAS!

But it's not like CDC is hoarding the money and using it to eat at the French Laundry or Texas Roadhouse?  He's reinvesting in the infrastructure.  Urban told us no...twice.  Who was the next best option?  And don't say Dabo, we had our shot there but we hired Charlie.  

8 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

But it's not like CDC is hoarding the money and using it to eat at the French Laundry or Texas Roadhouse?  He's reinvesting in the infrastructure.  Urban told us no...twice.  Who was the next best option?  And don't say Dabo, we had our shot there but we hired Charlie.  

The comment was more along the lines of what Dennison is saying. Until our athletic department sees loss in revenue nothing will change 

10 minutes ago, Poe It Up said:

Having a lot of money isn’t unique to Texas, though. Most blue bloods make more money than they know what to do with, so congrats I guess? That seems besides the point to me anyway. I mean, for one, aren’t they embarrassed they suck so much at their jobs? 

Except other blue bloods don’t value that more than winning. The money is a byproduct 

14 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Well Sark pulled Card and has Casey as the starter in game 3 after a terrible performance. So that's a little different of a result than the previous administrations that would keep forcing a guy back out there. 

I felt like Sark put Casey as a surrender move. He had given up on the game by then.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Except other blue bloods don’t value that more than winning. The money is a byproduct 

I've asked this before, but what does that mean in practice? What more should they be doing? 

If the choice is money or winning, of course they're going to choose money. But it's not an either/or thing; in fact, winning likely leads to even more money.

Just like you guys (and every person in Texas), the UT power brokers have dipshit Aggie and SEC neighbors/friends/employees that they have to deal with. Of course they want to win. By all accounts, they were willing to give Urban the world. So how do you show you really want to win? 

Cheating?

9 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

I've asked this before, but what does that mean in practice? What more should they be doing? 

If the choice is money or winning, of course they're going to choose money. But it's not an either/or thing; in fact, winning likely leads to even more money.

Just like you guys (and every person in Texas), the UT power brokers have dipshit Aggie and SEC neighbors/friends/employees that they have to deal with. Of course they want to win. By all accounts, they were willing to give Urban the world. So how do you show you really want to win? 

Cheating?

Well, I can tell you on facilities they dropped the ball. While A&M had barber shops and Oregon had PlayStations, we had water jugs and cinder blocks. Media members would step foot into the press box and think it was a joke because it was so outdated. It’s run like a fucking Landry’s. 

Also, yes cheating would help.

3 hours ago, Landomatic said:

Assuming that's all true (I think you're right about some version of it all, BTW), what does it say to you that he still said no?

Is it possible the AD was willing to give him everything he wanted except the one thing he really wanted/needed to say yes, which was complete control?

Is it possible the decision makers had an arrogance about them throughout the process that made Urban feel like he wasn't really going to have that much say in anything?

Is it possible that there were waaaaay too many chiefs and not nearly enough indians at UT for Meyer to ever really feel like he could be successful there?

Is it possible that Urban took one look at the entitled "We're Texas" culture of the entire institution (from the "big cigars" who think money should be able to buy them anything, to the "woke culture" who put more time and energy into whining about shit like being forced to sing a song that might hurt someone's feelings than they do into football, to everyone in between) and realized that it won't ever translate to sustainable success on the field?

Only a handful of people know for sure.  Maybe it was a request (that we denied) for "complete" control, whatever that actually means.  Or maybe @WhatTheBuck is right about how Urban felt he got to the mountaintop at tOSU and there was nothing left for him in CFB.  Or maybe it was the BMDs, or the LHN time commitment, or whatever.  Only UM knows and I haven't heard him comment on it.

If you believe the "reporting," CDC wasn't driving the bus on the hire anyway, it was a handful of others.  So yeah any of those possibilities you wrote above are just that, possible.  Or not.  I see a ton of people lashing out at the AD because they are angry with a bad loss, when 1) I don't see the AD as the root cause of the issue, and 2) I can't point to anything the AD would have done differently in the past 18 months or so (prior to that, sure).

Texas' issues, in ranked order of importance since 2009:

1. Mack Brown burnt the house down on the way out and fucked us, and has been actively trying to fuck us ever since to preserve his notion of his "deserved legacy" by badmouthing us all over the place.  This had mostly diminished a decade later but really reverberated through the program for the 5-6 years after he left.
  2. Unprofessionalism in the AD from 2009 - 2017 leading to easily avoidable poor hires in the head football coach.  This lead to Charlie Strong and Tom Herman.
  3. Bad luck in hiring.  Hindsight is 20/20 but wow Strong looks bad in the rearview mirror.  Herman looks like about what you'd expect, a mid major coach over his head.  Jury still out on Sark IMO.
  4. Texas HS football/7 on 7 - the model for TXHSFB creates amazing skill players that are picked up by top programs around the nation.  I don't believe the lines are at the same level of quality anymore.  This continues to be an issue and will continue to be until we regularly reach outside of the state for line recruits.  We'll see how this changes.
  5. Bad recruiting - we've brought in a lot of softies especially in the O-line.  Another big reason for Sark...
  6. Bad development - players have actually regressed when they got on campus.  Big reason for the Sark pick...
  7. Lack of NFL picks - related to everything above

32. Facilities - no where near as big as people make it out to be

89. Austin's distractions - waaaay down the list

534. Woke Culture - IMO this barely registers.  The Eyes controversy wasn't generated or driven by the players, it was a few loud voices on campus.  Unfortunately the players got dragged into it and everyone shoved a mic in their face.

More and more I'm landing in the @David Dennison camp that getting the right guy is a fortuitous combination of luck and timing.  You need the right guy and the right time at the right place.

• Hook 'Em 4

6 minutes ago, Horn of Gabriel said:

Only a handful of people know for sure.  Maybe it was a request (that we denied) for "complete" control, whatever that actually means.  Or maybe @WhatTheBuck is right about how Urban felt he got to the mountaintop at tOSU and there was nothing left for him in CFB.  Or maybe it was the BMDs, or the LHN time commitment, or whatever.  Only UM knows and I haven't heard him comment on it.

If you believe the "reporting," CDC wasn't driving the bus on the hire anyway, it was a handful of others.  So yeah any of those possibilities you wrote above are just that, possible.  Or not.  I see a ton of people lashing out at the AD because they are angry with a bad loss, when 1) I don't see the AD as the root cause of the issue, and 2) I can't point to anything the AD would have done differently in the past 18 months or so (prior to that, sure).

Texas' issues, in ranked order of importance since 2009:

1. Mack Brown burnt the house down on the way out and fucked us, and has been actively trying to fuck us ever since to preserve his notion of his "deserved legacy" by badmouthing us all over the place.  This had mostly diminished a decade later but really reverberated through the program for the 5-6 years after he left.
  2. Unprofessionalism in the AD from 2009 - 2017 leading to easily avoidable poor hires in the head football coach.  This lead to Charlie Strong and Tom Herman.
  3. Bad luck in hiring.  Hindsight is 20/20 but wow Strong looks bad in the rearview mirror.  Herman looks like about what you'd expect, a mid major coach over his head.  Jury still out on Sark IMO.
  4. Texas HS football/7 on 7 - the model for TXHSFB creates amazing skill players that are picked up by top programs around the nation.  I don't believe the lines are at the same level of quality anymore.  This continues to be an issue and will continue to be until we regularly reach outside of the state for line recruits.  We'll see how this changes.
  5. Bad recruiting - we've brought in a lot of softies especially in the O-line.  Another big reason for Sark...
  6. Bad development - players have actually regressed when they got on campus.  Big reason for the Sark pick...
  7. Lack of NFL picks - related to everything above

32. Facilities - no where near as big as people make it out to be

89. Austin's distractions - waaaay down the list

534. Woke Culture - IMO this barely registers.  The Eyes controversy wasn't generated or driven by the players, it was a few loud voices on campus.  Unfortunately the players got dragged into it and everyone shoved a mic in their face.

More and more I'm landing in the @David Dennison camp that getting the right guy is a fortuitous combination of luck and timing.  You need the right guy and the right time at the right place.

Lol, the ghost of Mack Brown is #1? GTFO, lol.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Horn of Gabriel said:

Reading is hard: "In order of importance since 2009"  Yeah, his fucking the program in his last few years and where that got us was pretty important.

Lol, of all the reasons since 2009, you ranked the ghost of mack brown #1 of importance. Maybe you intended something different, but that's what you wrote. And it's regarded. you do realize he left end of 2013. We're on our 3rd coach since... a lot of shit has happened since 2013. Maybe he's #5 or #8, but #1? 7 years after he left?

Lol.

I'm no MB defender, but never go full regard.

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Horn of Gabriel said:

This is the right answer. LSU lucked into Saban and the prior decades of mediocrity magically disappeared. The same thing happened with Alabama. OU lucked into Stoops. Hire the right guy and all the rest works itself out. Hire the wrong guy and facilities, boosters, etc. aren't going to help you.

58 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

You're gonna be all shits and giggles when we roll into Dallas 4-1.

Then the darkness comes again.

nah, i've been "show me" since Charlie flamed out in season 1.  At least I got 2 OU wins and an SECSEC bowl game asswhipping out of him and Tom.

20 minutes ago, Texasrocks said:

This is the right answer. LSU lucked into Saban and the prior decades of mediocrity magically disappeared. The same thing happened with Alabama. OU lucked into Stoops. Hire the right guy and all the rest works itself out. Hire the wrong guy and facilities, boosters, etc. aren't going to help you.

Saban was a known quantity when Alabama hired him.

dickmuncher was a coin flip. 

Urban was not really luck after what he had done at Utah.  reasonable bet.

Dabo was a complete shot in the dark.

On 9/12/2021 at 6:35 AM, CurlyDumps said:

I have no idea about this Arkansas team. Pittman seems to have made good coordinator hires. But I do know that Chad Morris results from two years ago don’t matter, and how they looked for 3 quarters vs. a team they had little interest in beating (Rice) also means fuck all in college football.

Exactly. No idea why people think seasons from 2+ years ago mean anything when rosters are so different from year to year under a different coaching staff. It's not really Arkansas' fault that the SEC decided to replace easy wins on the schedule last year with two top 10 teams like Florida and Georgia to make the record look worse than it should have been. We ended up in the same bowl game as TCU. We weren't the worst team in the SEC last year like some keep spouting and I'd argue we would have ended up with the same (or better) record as Ole Miss if we had their schedule, who was getting top 25 love all preseason for some reason when we beat them last year.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/13/2021 at 11:35 AM, Hank Chinaski said:

Bad quote. I never said “easy choices.”  I said “easy answers.” And yes, it was a reference to a Grateful Dead song. But it was accurate. Texas has made efforts to hire established championship coaches like Meyer and Saban and in the mean time has hired their assistants. Do you think Texas would’ve hired Charlie Strong if he hadn’t been an assistant on an Urban Meyer national championship team at Florida? Was it just his success at Louisville that so dazzled the administration that got him the job? Come on.

Again, I don’t know how Sark will do and it’s waaaaay too early to make predictions. He’s a former assistant of two championship coaches, both Carroll and Saban, so who knows?

I don’t care whether Texas beats OU or vice versa. I don’t care who wins the Big 12. If Sark succeeds? Great. I’m a college football fan and I’m just interested in what happens. But if Sark doesn’t succeed then isn’t there someone more Texan who could lead the program? Maybe develop your own coach instead of buying one off the rack?

Meyer was an obvious hire for tOSU. He’s a Buckeye, got his start in coaching at tOSU, keeps a poster of Woody on his wall, and basically auditioned for the job while calling a game on ESPN. He made numerous references to what he would do if he was coaching freshman Braxton Miller (who got thrown into the starting spot because Terelle Pryor was suspended over Tattoogate, and interim head coach Luke Fickell who was roasted by Buckeye fans at the time is currently being talked about as a candidate for the USC job.)

Again, I’m not predicting failure for the Sarkisian regime. I have no idea and I’m only watching as a casual observer. Just sharing my thoughts. 

19 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Bad quote. I never said “easy choices.”  I said “easy answers.” And yes, it was a reference to a Grateful Dead song. But it was accurate. Texas has made efforts to hire established championship coaches like Meyer and Saban and in the mean time has hired their assistants. Do you think Texas would’ve hired Charlie Strong if he hadn’t been an assistant on an Urban Meyer national championship team at Florida? Was it just his success at Louisville that so dazzled the administration that got him the job? Come on.

Again, I don’t know how Sark will do and it’s waaaaay too early to make predictions. He’s a former assistant of two championship coaches, both Carroll and Saban, so who knows?

I don’t care whether Texas beats OU or vice versa. I don’t care who wins the Big 12. If Sark succeeds? Great. I’m a college football fan and I’m just interested in what happens. But if Sark doesn’t succeed then isn’t there someone more Texan who could lead the program? Maybe develop your own coach instead of buying one off the rack?

Meyer was an obvious hire for tOSU. He’s a Buckeye, got his start in coaching at tOSU, keeps a poster of Woody on his wall, and basically auditioned for the job while calling a game on ESPN. He made numerous references to what he would do if he was coaching freshman Braxton Miller (who got thrown into the starting spot because Terelle Pryor was suspended over Tattoogate, and interim head coach Luke Fickell who was roasted by Buckeye fans at the time is currently being talked about as a candidate for the USC job.)

Again, I’m not predicting failure for the Sarkisian regime. I have no idea and I’m only watching as a casual observer. Just sharing my thoughts. 

I mean, ok. My point is that Saban and Meyer were “easy answers” for Bama and Ohio St. They were also the correct answers. Why is it a problem if Texas attempts to hire them but not if other schools attempt to hire them? And unless Texas is only making coaching changes on the off-chance that they say yes, what is the problem with attempting to hire them? Wouldn’t it be dumb not to?

As for “developing your own coach” - like who? Doesn’t this only work if it is a guy who worked with a very successful departing coach (Riley, Day)? I suppose Dabo fits this description, though I can’t say I know anything about his career before coaching at Clemson. I guess we were kinda trying that approach when our last successful coach was here with the Muschamp “coach in waiting” thing, but Mack hung around too long. Somehow we weren’t seeking continuity with the Strong or Herman regimes. I suppose Texas could have rolled the dice on a lesser name (many on here were advocating for Traylor, and I would not have hated it). I also currently have no reason to think that he’d be better for the job than Sark. In a sense, Sark is a departure from the last 2 hires in that he wasn’t a head coach coming from a non P5 school. He has HC experience but hasn’t been one in a while. 

Edited by Hank Chinaski

On 9/13/2021 at 6:34 PM, dcar00 said:

Saban was a known quantity when Alabama hired him.

dickmuncher was a coin flip. 

Urban was not really luck after what he had done at Utah.  reasonable bet.

Dabo was a complete shot in the dark.

Thats the reality that most people generally understand but don't really want to accept so they point to a bunch of other shit to blame. Culture, facilities, revenue are all a distant second to getting the right head coach. Say what you want about OU and tOSU, but they have have had a tremendous run since 01 because they didnt swing and miss on coaching. Stoops had no experience and could have well turned out like Muschamp, but as it turns out he was a good coach. Alabama was mired in suck until Saban got there. Clemson had a 20 year run of mediocrity until Dabo took over. Other bluebloods like USC, Texas, Mich, are currently mired in shit because of terrible hires at the head coach position. Some of those hires were considered homeruns and still failed (Harbaugh, Herman).

USC is a great example. Plenty of history, blueblood etc....

image.png.b4dcea1055df4863d2a19226f252cb6c.png

Pete Carroll was like USC's 4th or 5th choice and considered a "meh" hire coming off a 20 year stretch of mediocrity, but he worked out for USC and they were immediately the "it" program for awhile. Its not like USC just started to prioritize winning in 2001. When Carroll left for Seattle, am I to believe they decided they didnt want to win anymore? No, they made bad hiring decisions. 

Hiring head coaches is a crapshoot. Sometimes you get it right, sometimes you get it wrong. What you don't want is to get it wrong 3,4 times in row. Sark is on the clock in that regard. I laugh at the concept that Texas doesnt prioritize winning (but did in the early 2000's). Either Sark wins or he doesnt. CDC and the power brokers made their call, and now we see if they were correct. 

• Hook 'Em 2

On 9/13/2021 at 6:28 PM, David Dennison said:

You're gonna be all shits and giggles when we roll into Dallas 4-1.

Then the darkness comes again.

If you would have told me before the season we’d be 4-2 coming out of Dallas, I probably would have taken it. Especially if we are competitive against OU. I thought 4 of our 5 most likely potential losses on the season were in the first half of the schedule. 

• Hook 'Em 1

At least one of the apparent problems for Sark was also a problem for FUPM Brown: not hiring and actually using an OC. The HC job has become a full-time plus job, and the HC needs to have a competent OC who not only will, but actually can, run the Offense. It's HC's job to develop the overall strategy, but it's the assistants' jobs to implement the necessary tactics. FUPM had GDGD, who was basically a .500 OC when working for anyone not named Brown, but was an award-winning OC when he did what Mack told him to do and actually had the best quarterback around. Fortunately, it only took Mack a year and a half to tell GDGD to "let Vince be Vince". Mack was so petulant when Boom made him fire GDGD that he convinced the cigars to not hire Boom's choice to replace Greg, Dana Holgorsen, on the basis that he was divorced, preferred to live in a hotel, was known to drink copious amounts of alcoholic beverages, and chase young skirts when he wasn't gambling - some of which might offend the purer of our fanbase; then had his own choice walk away, shaking his head and mumbling "fish rot from the head, down". Settled for Harsin but saddled him with The Maj, and spent his last three years torpedoing the entire program. Which turned out to be something he was actually competent at.

Sark does not have an OC, he has a line coach with that title, but doesn't actually run the offense (at least, not the passing part, which allegedly is Sark's main strategic element), so Sark has at least half the offense to run in addition to the 100-hours-a-week job of HC, while the OL coach is still trying to find five or eight big guys who can not only learn the proper techniques but also remember which ones to use on what plays, and has the RB Coach, a holdover from MensaTom, as his Run Game assistant. Apparently there is no Pass Game assistant, neither the QB coach nor the other MensaTom assistant, who still apparently is not able to coach the WR's how to get open regularly, nor how to catch the occasional passes that get near enough to get their hands on.

It seems that it's going to come down to whether Sark hires an assistant who can function as OC and Pass Game coordinator. Or maybe he doesn't, and winds up befriending his old support group from UW and USC, both of which fired him.

And stay the fuck off my lawn.

• Rage+1 2

13 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

At least one of the apparent problems for Sark was also a problem for FUPM Brown: not hiring and actually using an OC. The HC job has become a full-time plus job, and the HC needs to have a competent OC who not only will, but actually can, run the Offense. It's HC's job to develop the overall strategy, but it's the assistants' jobs to implement the necessary tactics. FUPM had GDGD, who was basically a .500 OC when working for anyone not named Brown, but was an award-winning OC when he did what Mack told him to do and actually had the best quarterback around. Fortunately, it only took Mack a year and a half to tell GDGD to "let Vince be Vince". Mack was so petulant when Boom made him fire GDGD that he convinced the cigars to not hire Boom's choice to replace Greg, Dana Holgorsen, on the basis that he was divorced, preferred to live in a hotel, was known to drink copious amounts of alcoholic beverages, and chase young skirts when he wasn't gambling - some of which might offend the purer of our fanbase; then had his own choice walk away, shaking his head and mumbling "fish rot from the head, down". Settled for Harsin but saddled him with The Maj, and spent his last three years torpedoing the entire program. Which turned out to be something he was actually competent at.

Sark does not have an OC, he has a line coach with that title, but doesn't actually run the offense (at least, not the passing part, which allegedly is Sark's main strategic element), so Sark has at least half the offense to run in addition to the 100-hours-a-week job of HC, while the OL coach is still trying to find five or eight big guys who can not only learn the proper techniques but also remember which ones to use on what plays, and has the RB Coach, a holdover from MensaTom, as his Run Game assistant. Apparently there is no Pass Game assistant, neither the QB coach nor the other MensaTom assistant, who still apparently is not able to coach the WR's how to get open regularly, nor how to catch the occasional passes that get near enough to get their hands on.

It seems that it's going to come down to whether Sark hires an assistant who can function as OC and Pass Game coordinator. Or maybe he doesn't, and winds up befriending his old support group from UW and USC, both of which fired him.

And stay the fuck off my lawn.

He's probably giving some of that duty to Milwee I am sure.  Milwee was going to Ark State as OC prior to jumping ship to Texas if i remember correctly.

1 hour ago, westexhorn said:

He's probably giving some of that duty to Milwee I am sure.  Milwee was going to Ark State as OC prior to jumping ship to Texas if i remember correctly.

Fine, make Milwee OC/QB/PassGamer and let him roll with it. He wont always see eye-to-eye with his HC, but hopefully they'll be good together and Sark can off-load that part (although, of course, never completely).