Culture

Pancho

I mean, i've always thought the city of austin has a lot to do with it. There are so many distractions in the city, hero worship by the fans, the press, alumni. Progressively, college culture coddles these kids, let's them make excuses, allows them to blame others, or their circumstances, or history, blah blah for whatever is happening to them today. I think that limits accountability.

Additionally, coaches don't come here to win championships, they come here for their payday. Mack Brown made what, $450K a year when he first got here in '98? His performance coaching is what got him up to $5 million per year. Coaches today get that right off the bat. It's ridiculous.

I think there's rot from head to toe at UT. You saw how the University negotiated with the band to play the fucking school song. What do you think is going on behind closed doors with the players to get them to learn their drills?

44 minutes ago, mchookem said:

i've been making that Dallas Cowboys analogy for several years...biggest money-making 'brand' in the sport for no discernible reason, long past the days of 'greatness'. it makes no sense and yet here we are. again.

It's because of the market they are in. Texas is a beast of a market for football and the Cowboys and Longhorns control that market.

1 hour ago, bschoolprof said:

It's 99% coaching. Mack came in, took Mac II's players and immediately improved the program and the "culture."  Since he left, we've hired 1 terrible coach and 2 mediocre ones, resulting in terrible to mediocre football.  We're really not much different than OU before Stoops got there or Bama before Saban.

Fans overweight bullshit like culture and strength coaches.  It's head coaching. Period. 

This. Except I’d argue it’s 100%. We’re always theory crafting about what the bigger, deeper issues are. I’d love to hear some examples of programs that stacked hardware for years on end despite mediocre coaching because of some deeper “culture” advantage.

8 minutes ago, ChickenNuggets said:

I mean, i've always thought the city of austin has a lot to do with it. There are so many distractions in the city, hero worship by the fans, the press, alumni. Progressively, college culture coddles these kids, let's them make excuses, allows them to blame others, or their circumstances, or history, blah blah for whatever is happening to them today. I think that limits accountability.

Additionally, coaches don't come here to win championships, they come here for their payday. Mack Brown made what, $450K a year when he first got here in '98? His performance coaching is what got him up to $5 million per year. Coaches today get that right off the bat. It's ridiculous.

I think there's rot from head to toe at UT. You saw how the University negotiated with the band to play the fucking school song. What do you think is going on behind closed doors with the players to get them to learn their drills?

Said every older generation in history.

Good grief.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

Year after year it’s the same soft baby shit no heart culture.    What do you think would have happened if someone submarined Bryce young’s knees yesterday.  Or DJ uguglgkfllali knees. His linemen would have went ape shit. Someone would have gotten dealt with.  Our linemen watched didn’t even say shit to the ref. Didn’t say shit to the def. they were scared soft bitches afraid of violence.  Too many people on this team are afraid of violence. We have no pipe hitting insult my manhood killers. There’s likely a few and you can see it in the young guys but this team like every year prior is ok with getting smacked. These dudes would watch another man fuck their wife and not deal with it.  That’s how soft this shit is 

This right here is part of the problem.

• Hook 'Em 1

39 minutes ago, mdmost said:

That's not true for OU though. It all goes in cycles. OU led college football in the 50s under Wilkerson. Then DKR came in and revolutionized the game with the Wishbone. We dominated the 60s. Then Switzer came in and had a hand in driving DKR out of football. Then Akers didn't pan out fully and the dye was cast until Mack stepped foot in Austin. The problem is OU has hit on their hires. They had the luxury of promoting their coordinator who already knew how to maintain their winning culture. So it's no wonder why OU hasn't skipped a beat while having markedly less resources than Texas. We've had now 3 head coaches with 3 different ideas about football culture since Mack fell asleep on the job. None of them were capable of instilling a winning culture. Sark has a chance but early returns aren't positive. 

OU recruits future NFL draft picks at Oline, we don't

• Like 1

That guy's a fucking idiot. 
I'm not giving up on Sark yet, it's only his 2nd game with a room full of previous regime recruits. Texas has lacked 4 things since it fell apart.
1) Dominant top 2 or 3 QB in the country. We can't even get a top 10 guy. Ehlinger was a nice story but just a decent QB. Nobody before that was even decent other than one game from Ash against Ole Miss. 
2) Stout offensive line. 2005 and 2006 had this. Steadily got worse after and now it's the biggest weakness on the team. 
3) Stout defensive line. This team should have that. Yesterday they got pushed around and it's so disappointing. 
4) Excellent special teams
Until those get fixed, and maybe a move to the SEC and jettisoning the joke that is LHN will help, this program will be 9-10 win ceiling hovering around 7-8. I think Sark and the staff he brought in can get us to that ceiling but they have to at least get better lines and find a top QB. 

I partially agree but unfortunately Charlie and Herman both had head-scratching early losses that were indicative of their future here. We just didn’t get beat, we got dominated in ALL phases and coaching. Completely dominated. Sark is seeming to have that scary dear-in-the-headlights puppy face that Mack had while playing OU from 00-04. That nice coach thing won’t work in the SEC.

Also, we need a midwestern pipeline of O-linemen. We haven’t had a good O line recruiting class(that hit) since 03 or 04. We need some blue collar Midwestern mentality to hopefully help our “soft” culture in the trenches. I’m shocked how badly the D line got whipped. They looked poorly conditioned too(last week too).

Hopefully Sark learned from his past personal adversity to take a look at in the mirror and find a way to never let a whipping like this happen again especially to a mediocre opponent. Hopefully he’s not too fragile to handle the fallout from this loss either.

I’m concerned.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Tom Chairman said:

Oh good...another thread

It's a message board.  You'll see threads on occasion.  Threads are definitely pesky.  That's why there'll be a new forum where threads aren't allowed -- just blank space.  The forum will be called "The Void."  You're gonna love this new forum, however you'll be entirely unable to express that.

• Haha 5
  • Drool 1

34 minutes ago, ButtFumble said:

The State of Texas for all the talent in football produces shit for linemen and coaches are scared to recruit out of state because they are scared to piss of Texas HS coach dickheads and get double top secret banned from recruiting that school

Texas HS coaches feel their players deserve a spot on a Texas university football team and they will shit on the ones that do not take their head cases and "starz" yet they do not have the same desire or ability to do that to out of state programs because they still want to get their players as many options as possible

no Texas college coach has had the balls to step up and challenge that and to say "fuck it we will build a team with mostly out of state talent if that is how you want it"

that goes double with the soft ass 7 on 7 football culture with small lineman that get pushed around in college that prevails at the high school level

7 on 7 is the worst thing that ever happened to football, now get off my lawn

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

Just now, Stunns38 said:

I partially agree but unfortunately Charlie and Herman both had head-scratching early losses that were indicative of their future here. We just didn’t get beat, we got dominated in ALL phases and coaching. Completely dominated. Sark is seeming to have that scary dear-in-the-headlights puppy face that Mack had while playing OU from 00-04. That nice coach thing won’t work in the SEC.

Also, we need a midwestern pipeline of O-linemen. We haven’t had a good O line recruiting class(that hit) since 03 or 04. We need some blue collar Midwestern mentality to hopefully help our “soft” culture in the trenches. I’m shocked how badly the D line got whipped. They looked poorly conditioned too(last week too).

Hopefully Sark learned from his past personal adversity to take a look at in the mirror and find a way to never let a whipping like this happen again especially to a mediocre opponent. Hopefully he’s not too fragile to handle the fallout from this loss either.

I’m concerned.

We have no idea yet if Arkansas is mediocre. 

12 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Said every older generation in history.

Good grief.

Yeah, and they're right.  

Is there any doubt that there's been an increasing spiral from self-sufficiency into gaping vagina but-our-feelings mentality in a straight line from Greatest Generation --> Boomers --> Gen X --> Millennials --> Gen Z?

Edited by TexArcher
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Edwards Limestone said:

It’s almost like hiring unproven head coaches isn’t a winning strategy. Who knew?

We’ll do the same thing in 3 years all over again. Our administration and athletic dept is run by complete morons. 

Of course. Because, although we have the most money, we don’t want to “be like that” and spend the money. It’s much better just to have it. Meanwhile, aggy spends like there’s no tomorrow and can’t actually pay their bills, but they have no problem with spending it. We get the worst return on our investment of any FBS program. We’re dumbasses. 

• Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, ChickenNuggets said:

Additionally, coaches don't come here to win championships, they come here for their payday. Mack Brown made what, $450K a year when he first got here in '98? 

No. Mackovic made something like that. Mack was paid much better from the start. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, hookem48 said:

how many oline recruiting battles are us vs OU anymore? Maybe I'm wrong but it seems they go all over the country to get their oline recruits, we go about 100 miles.

You are correct. I have the controversial opinion that Texas high school recruits are vastly overrated. I'd much prefer we go outside of the state to get OL and other players. The better OL in this state go elsewhere because they want to make it to the NFL. We haven't developed OL talent since VY left. The best we've done is Connor Williams. But if we go outside of the state, the pussy entitled high school coaches in this state are all aghast.

• Hook 'Em 4

2 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

I know what you're saying, but when 8-4 sounds about right for Texas, for the 12th year in a row, everything is fucking turrible.

We've been here before. We'll get through it. Then we'll succeed wildly and fall back to mediocrity.

Any Texas fan over 40 knows how this story goes.

Or you know, lacking recruiting chops to land top level talent and settling for backup options that are shitty evals that leave you with CJones, Okafor, Angilau, and to a lesser extent Majors, Kerstetter as your "best" options without even mentioning the real scrubs like Ghirmai.  Other talent like Karic, Hookfin, Tyler Johnson would potentially satisfy a Herman offense but the coaches from Bama on offense want the body types they are comfortable with, who coincidentally are just bodies and no talent for their positions.  Either that or they need each several years to gain competency in what is envisioned of them, so one summer and 2 games leaves us with what we saw last night.  Conner instantly in the 2 deep tells you how bad some of our past OL evals have been.  The development was obviously lacking but it always always starts with the eval.  The overall recruiting class ranking means jack shit.  Go look at OL recruiting over the past decade seriously it's ass especially if you're Flood and Sark and want to play like they did at Alabama

• Rage+1 1

3 minutes ago, ChickenNuggets said:

Yeah, I did a search, data might be questionable, but it looks like his first year was $750K. So.... might point kinda still stands?

Kind of. Mack did earn pay raises, no doubt. His time here also coincided with huge increases in pay across CFB. 

I just remember because it was a huge step up In pay from Mackovic to Mack.

Edited by Tex Pete

The slow vanishing of dynasty inner city football programs in favor of suburban / exurban football factories where a ton of the kids

A) don't need football to make a life for themeselves; they have fallback. They might be kinda dull, but their fallbacks are not apartment complexes in the hood.

B) could be forgiven for kinda dialing it back in college. How much more thrilling can it be in front of larger crowds? Do you really want to put the work in to make it to the NFL, where best case scenario, you play ten years, make a fortune, but trade that for mushy knees and a smooth brain? How much hotter can your college GF be over the tail you were already pulling in HS? 

I think North Shore might be the closest thing left to a Yates or a Carter from back in the day, and guess who is putting the most players in the league? It ain't Southlake Carroll or Stephenville. And when I was in HS, it wasn't just Yates in Houston, it was also Madison, Sterling, Worthing, Washington and later Willowridge. Aldine Eisenhower was the Acres Homes juggernaut and won a USA Today NC.  Now those players get dispersed into the suburban football factories and I think they get spoiled there, same as the White kids. Or, and this is much sadder, the kids left behind in the old neighborhoods are in such hell zones football can't succeed. 

I believe there is a sweet spot where you can have a drive to succeed brought on by the desperation of poverty, but that poverty can't be too terrible, or India would win everything at the Olympics. There needs to be social order, safe places to play and practice, adequate nutrition. You had that in the '80s in Third Ward but now that much of the Black middle class has moved to Pearland and Missouri City, not so much. 

Yeah the Strong era was a failure but one of his minor successes was in bringing out of state kids. Quite a number of times when the D would make a play, it would be a dude from SC blowing up the middle, two dudes from Florida in the backfield causing a fumble, and then another from Louisiana scooping it up or another Floridian picking off a pass. Where would we have been without Poona Ford, to name one?

It's similar to baseball -- suburbanites have taken the sport and made it almost cost-prohibitive for any kid to play whose parents are pulling in $200k ....And so MLB gets ever more international as the number of hungry Americans is choked off at the little league level with rare exception. You've got to be a true prodigy and pick up some street agent types, I imagine. 

Seems like California is going through the same shit....It's a national issue having much to do with gentrification and football is just one of the symptoms. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

The slow vanishing of dynasty inner city football programs in favor of suburban / exurban football factories where a ton of the kids

A) don't need football to make a life for themeselves; they have fallback. They might be kinda dull, but their fallbacks are not apartment complexes in the hood.

B) could be forgiven for kinda dialing it back in college. How much more thrilling can it be in front of larger crowds? Do you really want to put the work in to make it to the NFL, where best case scenario, you play ten years, make a fortune, but trade that for mushy knees and a smooth brain? How much hotter can your college GF be over the tail you were already pulling in HS? 

I think North Shore might be the closest thing left to a Yates or a Carter from back in the day, and guess who is putting the most players in the league? It ain't Southlake Carroll or Stephenville. And when I was in HS, it wasn't just Yates in Houston, it was also Madison, Sterling, Worthing, Washington and later Willowridge. Aldine Eisenhower was the Acres Homes juggernaut and won a USA Today NC.  Now those players get dispersed into the suburban football factories and I think they get spoiled there, same as the White kids. Or, and this is much sadder, the kids left behind in the old neighborhoods are in such hell zones football can't succeed. 

I believe there is a sweet spot where you can have a drive to succeed brought on by the desperation of poverty, but that poverty can't be too terrible, or India would win everything at the Olympics. There needs to be social order, safe places to play and practice, adequate nutrition. You had that in the '80s in Third Ward but now that much of the Black middle class has moved to Pearland and Missouri City, not so much. 

Yeah the Strong era was a failure but one of his minor successes was in bringing out of state kids. Quite a number of times when the D would make a play, it would be a dude from SC blowing up the middle, two dudes from Florida in the backfield causing a fumble, and then another from Louisiana scooping it up or another Floridian picking off a pass. Where would we have been without Poona Ford, to name one?

It's similar to baseball -- suburbanites have taken the sport and made it almost cost-prohibitive for any kid to play whose parents are pulling in $200k ....And so MLB gets ever more international as the number of hungry Americans is choked off at the little league level with rare exception. You've got to be a true prodigy and pick up some street agent types, I imagine. 

Seems like California is going through the same shit....It's a national issue having much to do with gentrification and football is just one of the symptoms. 

So Texas is going to be Texas. We'll be really good every now and then, but we'll be OK most of the time.

4 minutes ago, Snacks said:

Yep. Have to.  Have to build a program with an offensive line.  We're not flipping a switch on the OL. It will take time.  I accept it.

so we try to recruit olineman for a different offense now and hope they can run Sark's in 2 or 3 years and we flip the switch then?