Culture

Pancho

Something I heard for years by both fans and people inside belmont- the SEC is a bad cultural fit for Texas. Anyone who has ever uttered those words is a huge fucking pussy.

The culture fit thing has nothing to do with anything you said. You’ve apparently never read texags, tigerdroppings, or piggy posters in various Arkansas related threads over the past week or two. I envy you.

6 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

From Bryant to Saban….

Dubose is obviously their worst coaching hire unless you want to count price who was hired then fired and never coached a game 

Shula didn’t do too bad

5BF0624A-F2CA-4D1C-A6E3-4ACDDED6945F.png

To be fair to Mike Price, pussy is still undefeated 

1 hour ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Maybe Sark was proving a point to TX HS coaches in this game, that TX OL recruits are undersized and soft and will not hold up in the SEC. So you are on notice to change quickly or don’t bitch when we stop recruiting them as we head to the SEC full time. 

that's some 4d checkers right there....

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

15 hours ago, gmr548 said:

The culture fit thing has nothing to do with anything you said. You’ve apparently never read texags, tigerdroppings, or piggy posters in various Arkansas related threads over the past week or two. I envy you.

No I haven’t. Why would I? How does it matter at all? 

2 hours ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Maybe Sark was proving a point to TX HS coaches in this game, that TX OL recruits are undersized and soft and will not hold up in the SEC. So you are on notice to change quickly or don’t bitch when we stop recruiting them as we head to the SEC full time. 

It's a good thing for Bama that they never recruit Texas high school offensive lineman. They'd never be able to move the ball.

• Rage+1 1

3 hours ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Yea I'm gonna guess that getting your ass beat isn't the optimal way to make a point to THSFCs

Edited by Surly Bevo

It's a good thing for Bama that they never recruit Texas high school offensive lineman. They'd never be able to move the ball.

No joke. Alabama must feed those kids gun powder. Texas - here’s some marshmallows and ice cream. Bama - here eat these bullets and sleep on this concrete floor.
  • Drool 1

On 9/14/2021 at 4:01 PM, bullet said:

Interesting thoughts.  DKR got a lot of those small town kids.   Small town kids and inner city kids do tend to be hungrier.

I suspect if you did studies on success in business, you would find the highest achievers were the richest and the poorest.  The richest had the resources and the time to focus.  The poorest were hungry.  And the upper middle class, while maybe having the highest average, would have the fewest exceptional performers.

Goldman Sachs seeks out high-achieving lower middle class kids....Works for them. 

2 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Goldman Sachs seeks out high-achieving lower middle class kids....Works for them. 

Same reason CIA still recruits directly out of high school for jobs that those of us with graduate degrees couldn't sniff.  

On 9/13/2021 at 7:13 PM, Apex73 said:

They are just soft and have been for some time now.  Sure there are a few exceptions every year but for the most part they play soft.  They give up too quickly when they get down.  They lack physicality.  It's like when they get to Texas they feel like they've made it.  You can say all day that culture isn't the problem and that it's the coaching but we are on coach 3 since mack and we keep getting the same results.  

No joke, there is only so much coaches can do to fix softness in a football team.  They need the players to step up and hold each other accountable...The older players need to be leaders, and need to be hungry to win...Hopefully, they have some players like that on this team because to bounce back from a loss like this you need those guys to be vocal and get the team working harder to be better..

3 hours ago, Azbadlands said:

No joke, there is only so much coaches can do to fix softness in a football team.  They need the players to step up and hold each other accountable...The older players need to be leaders, and need to be hungry to win...Hopefully, they have some players like that on this team because to bounce back from a loss like this you need those guys to be vocal and get the team working harder to be better..

If something is soft, you can make it hard. - Charlie Strong

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Lobo said:

Same reason CIA still recruits directly out of high school for jobs that those of us with graduate degrees couldn't sniff.  

The CIA isn’t as organized as you’d think. Most of the people there act like anyone else working for the government. Waiting for a pension, making sure to spend enough so they don’t have a budget cut etc. 

Had a high school classmate work for them (actually went to UT) who told me about it (was actually involved in the Wikileaks and Vault 7 stuff) 

/csb

18 hours ago, TexasBeta said:

No joke. Alabama must feed those kids gun powder. Texas - here’s some marshmallows and ice cream. Bama - here eat these bullets and sleep on this concrete floor.

No. Alabama doesn't normally start FR-HS and RS-FR on OL...  and they don't normally keep moving around underperformers trying to find a spot.

So, this is going to take a few years, but the plan is simple (I've laid it out somewhere on Surly, but again...)

1. Recruit BIG STRONG dudes to play OG. Put them in the S&C program with the goal of Big, Strong, Flexible... I'm not overly concerned with their feet, but they can't wear brick shoes.

2. Recruit BIG LONG STRONG dudes to play OT. Put them in the S&C program with the goal of Strong, Flexible, Footwork, and Good Weight.. 

3. Recruit a couple of SMART STRONG dudes to play C. It's possible some of these are OG dudes who aren't as big, but I wouldn't aim for it.  Put them in the S&C program with the same goals at OT, on a smaller frame.

Plan on not seeing these cats for 3 years... yes, some will play in year 1 or 2 because depth, but the goal is to stash them for growth and learning.

What not to do:  

1. Recruit 18 tall and slow Wide Receivers.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 9/18/2021 at 2:51 PM, Shaggy3.0 said:

Our problem is simple. We're not serious about winning.  We're too interested in just being Texas.

yep.  we went from Urban Meyer to 7WS.    We're Cal.   we'll be fighting Vandy and Missouri in the SEC if we stay with this loser.

• Rage+1 1

Just watch Worhy. I really felt for that guy. He was a banged up and refused to quit. He is everything Longhorn fans want to see in the players they root for. He is also a starter with the shortest time around the program, that tells you all you need to know about the culture

• Hook 'Em 4

38 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Just watch Worhy. I really felt for that guy. He was a banged up and refused to quit. He is everything Longhorn fans want to see in the players they root for. He is also a starter with the shortest time around the program, that tells you all you need to know about the culture

Well, RoJo is a fucking warrior and he has a long time in the program.  Bijan has two years. So "culture" is not inevitable.  

19 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Well, RoJo is a fucking warrior and he has a long time in the program.  Bijan has two years. So "culture" is not inevitable.  

Bijan and Worthy are both young. Rojo is the exception among the upperclassmen. The fact your reply mentions 2 other players makes my point 

8 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Bijan and Worthy are both young. Rojo is the exception among the upperclassmen. The fact your reply mentions 2 other players makes my point 

I don't disagree with your point.  Just a couple of additional data points.  It does show that individuals are able to transcend whatever the culture is.

Just now, TwiceHorn said:

I don't disagree with your point.  Just a couple of additional data points.  It does show that individuals are able to transcend whatever the culture is.

There are probably a few more. The problem is you have to lift the cushions on the couch to find them 

• Hook 'Em 1

Rojo is Rojo in spite of whatever culture he exists in.  Kid who was a QB who willingly agreed to become an RB when that position was a wasteland and then when a stud supplanted him has continued to play hard in whatever he has been asked to do.  We need like 15 more of him in the program.  

On 9/15/2021 at 8:50 AM, Brisketexan said:

Correct. I’m the parent of a college age son. If he was a real NFL-potential talent, there are a crapload of programs I’d want him to look at over Texas. My loyalty to my kid trumps my university 100% of the time.

No fucking shit.  Daughter (8th grade) plays on a top ECNL soccer team and with ODP.  OU is sniffing around, and god dammit it, if they offered her a full ride and a chance to play D1 soccer……there’s always grad school to “come home”

13 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

No fucking shit.  Daughter (8th grade) plays on a top ECNL soccer team and with ODP.  OU is sniffing around, and god dammit it, if they offered her a full ride and a chance to play D1 soccer……there’s always grad school to “come home”

Edited by GeorgetownLaw