Culture

Pancho

It’s really not that deep. We need better players on our OLine and to give the right coach time to instill his scheme. We’re skullfucking in pretty much every other sport at the moment. This is game 2 for Sark with 1st year QBs, bad OLine, and inconsistent WRs. Give the man atleast a season to figure this shit out

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

If that's the case why do schools like Ohio St consistently have success regardless of who they hire at HC? You'd think by just random chance they'd fuck up a hire every now and then, but they consistently fall ass backwards into head coaches who can consistently muster 10 wins seasons multiple times throughout their stay in Columbus. 

Earl Bruce was a perennial 9-3 coach until 6-4-1 got him fired in 1987. He was 5-4 against Michigan, went 5-3 in bowl games but never won the Rose Bowl (lost twice). He won zero national championships.

John Cooper was there from 1988 to 2000. He won the Big Ten three times, went 3-8 in bowl games (Holiday, Rose, Sugar wins), went 2-10-1 against Michigan, and won zero national championships.

So Ohio State, while good, wasn't always the current version of Ohio State after Woody Hayes.

Edited by David Dennison
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

It isn’t just good fortune….there is more too it to consistently do it as well as they have, same with Oklahoma, Bama, and others. 

Your hypothetical with the names you mentioned that we hired is stupid. They wouldn’t hire those guys. 

I agree, good fortune was getting Urban. 

Alabama had a 10 year run after Stallings where they hired and fired Mike DuBois, Fran, Mike Price, and Mike Shula. They were lucky Saban was at a job he absolutely hated.

• Drool 1

2 minutes ago, ultimaton said:

Alabama had a 10 year run after Stallings where they hired and fired Mike DuBois, Fran, Mike Price, and Mike Shula. They were lucky Saban was at a job he absolutely hated.

We’re going on 30-40 years bud outside of Mack. This isn’t just a 10 year thing, since DKR/Akers something changed in our program and it’s drastically fucked us. 

• Hook 'Em 2

It's 99% coaching. Mack came in, took Mac II's players and immediately improved the program and the "culture."  Since he left, we've hired 1 terrible coach and 2 mediocre ones, resulting in terrible to mediocre football.  We're really not much different than OU before Stoops got there or Bama before Saban.
Fans overweight bullshit like culture and strength coaches.  It's head coaching. Period. 

Just want to point out Mack got pantsed 2 out of his first 3 games here. We weren’t ranked but he did have a decent OLine and a pretty good RB to begin his tenure as well as Opie at qb after Walton went down.

Personally, I am going to try and withhold judgment about where this thing is going for a few more games.

Hopefully last night was rock bottom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Hook 'Em 1

We’re going on 30-40 years bud outside of Mack. This isn’t just a 10 year thing, since DKR/Akers something changed in our program and it’s drastically fucked us. 

Mack was coach for like 15 of those seasons so, no, our walk “in the dark” isn’t three or four decades long.
  • Hook 'Em 2

Too many pages, didn’t read. Could’ve already been said.

I watched they aggy game yesterday. I don’t like them as much as the next person. And they will lose games this year. Plus they were shitty on offense.

But i noticed jimbo always coaching up the qbs and/or cussing them during the game. I didn’t notice this with sark. Granite, I haven’t noticed it with the last Texas coaches either. Card had some obvious mistakes but why wasn’t sark coaching him up? I’m sure there were other coaches doing that and sark could’ve done it too just not caught on camera.
The OL not standing up for the qb with the cheap shots. They were also on their backs half the time so How could they know lol.

Nobody going to card or card going to the team to calm each other down. What do we expect. There’s not a winning culture. Players are more use to losing than winning so I guess what do we expect.

It’s only one game. We’ve heard that for about 10 years now. Maybe this time hopefully the coach actually makes adjustments. But not looking good if the defense or offense didn’t do it in the second half. Just like Herman, they want to run their offense when we don’t have the personnel.

Fuck it,lets crowd source the next hire. Make UM say no again and again. Lulz.

Oh well. Being a longhorn fan is a hell of a drug that I can’t give up. I’ll still support these losers and cling onto any hope there is for sark. We can’t be down forever so I’ll just wait until then. At least I get to do it with you fuckers.

1 minute ago, C-Man said:

Mack was coach for like 15 of those seasons so, no, our walk “in the dark” isn’t three or four decades long.

04-09 was peak Mack. Up until 2004 he was getting he was on the hot seat and couldn’t win the big game. 

he still only won 2 conference titles over his career because he consistently got dicked by Stoops. 

2 minutes ago, C-Man said:

His last four seasons are part of the current darkness. I would argue his first two were part of the post Akers darkness. So he had nine great years. They were a lot of fun.

For 4 decades you can count on one hand seasons that anyone on this bored would consider an outstanding success. 

The university itself, the city itself, has nothing to do with this. Talent evaluation, coaching and athletes do. Does the head coach at Texas get pulled in many directions due to boosters, etc? Sure. But James Franklin doesn’t even attend some practices and has had arguably more success than Texas over the last 8 or whatever years. That’s not a major issue either imo. 

Texas needs a perfect coach and perfect timing to win. 

7 minutes ago, The Ace of Aces said:

For 4 decades you can count on one hand seasons that anyone on this bored would consider an outstanding success. 

The university itself, the city itself, has nothing to do with this. Talent evaluation, coaching and athletes do. Does the head coach at Texas get pulled in many directions due to boosters, etc? Sure. But James Franklin doesn’t even attend some practices and has had arguably more success than Texas over the last 8 or whatever years. That’s not a major issue either imo. 

Texas needs a perfect coach and perfect timing to win. 

We also need better players.

2 hours ago, mdmost said:

No, OU develops future NFL draft picks at OL, we don't. 

I was just about to say this when I saw your post. Kyle flood is a pretty good OL coach. You can’t however, expect him to unfuck what herb hand did while also teaching 5-8 kids how to block correctly for the first time in their college careers all in one offseason. Somehow we have to stop expecting every staff to do anything…at all…that resembles blOwU, bama, Ohio state, or clemson lol. We need to strive for Kansas state right how, fundamental football with no bonehead plays or turnovers. We played bad and got our asses kicked, if we play solid football we probably still lose but more like 28-21. This is going to take 3-4 years of patience and balance. Which my liver can’t take so I won’t be around when we finally turn the corner for good hahaha. 

54 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

Again, I'd fall back on good fortune in hiring coaches.  They went from Tressel to Luke Fickel, who led them to 6-7.  They then hired one of the greatest college coaches of all time, and now have Day.  We'll see how that plays out. There are some chinks in the armor (no racist).  If they had Charlie Strong, and David McWilliams, and Tom Herman, they would be shitty to mediocre.  

Man you can go all the way back to Woody Hayes. They have never wandered around in the wilderness for a decade like we've routinely done over the past 40 years. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn

4 hours ago, XYZ said:

Yes, the “We’re Texas” culture is a problem. Michigan has the same problem.

Michigan is 51-22 under Harbaugh, we're on our 3rd coach since he was hired. We would fucking kill for that record right now. Michigan's problem is they can't beat Ohio State our problem is we can't beat anyone.

Edited by Michael Knight

We clearly need more mouth breathing, nothing else matters in life football culture, players and fans.

the problem is the University of Texas degree is just too damn good. You can care about more than football. 

im joking of course, but there is something real about having a chip on your shoulder, and having the mentality of an underdog. I think of it similar to an up and coming fighter that has nothing and no money and they fight with their life on the line. We need to find that mentality to drive us. Vince had that. And we haven’t since he left

2 hours ago, mdmost said:

You are correct. I have the controversial opinion that Texas high school recruits are vastly overrated. I'd much prefer we go outside of the state to get OL and other players. The better OL in this state go elsewhere because they want to make it to the NFL. We haven't developed OL talent since VY left. The best we've done is Connor Williams. But if we go outside of the state, the pussy entitled high school coaches in this state are all aghast.

With NIL Sark shouldn't give a shit if the HS coaches are pissed. Texas still puts out QB and skill position talent that other big time universities take and make into stars. Whatever their HS coach thinks won't make a shit when we're offering them a chance to play in the SEC and make bank. Need to import linemen and LB from other states. Hopefully Sark gets that 

3 hours ago, squeegeedegg said:

Or you know, lacking recruiting chops to land top level talent and settling for backup options that are shitty evals that leave you with CJones, Okafor, Angilau, and to a lesser extent Majors, Kerstetter as your "best" options without even mentioning the real scrubs like Ghirmai.  Other talent like Karic, Hookfin, Tyler Johnson would potentially satisfy a Herman offense but the coaches from Bama on offense want the body types they are comfortable with, who coincidentally are just bodies and no talent for their positions.  Either that or they need each several years to gain competency in what is envisioned of them, so one summer and 2 games leaves us with what we saw last night.  Conner instantly in the 2 deep tells you how bad some of our past OL evals have been.  The development was obviously lacking but it always always starts with the eval.  The overall recruiting class ranking means jack shit.  Go look at OL recruiting over the past decade seriously it's ass especially if you're Flood and Sark and want to play like they did at Alabama

I'd argue (and Texas history validates) you go after the 5 start OL talent but if you can't get it you avoid any and all 4 stars and go after underrated 3 stars.

4 stars in Texas particularly just means they are 6-6 to 6-8 300lb guys who suck and are lazy and have gotten away with it because they over match guys every game. If they were actually good they would be 5 stars.  3 stars are the guys that just get bunched up typically because they don't play on a powerhouse team.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

I'd argue (and Texas history validates) you go after the 5 start OL talent but if you can't get it you avoid any and all 4 stars and go after underrated 3 stars.

4 stars in Texas particularly just means they are 6-6 to 6-8 300lb guys who suck and are lazy and have gotten away with it because they over match guys every game. If they were actually good they would be 5 stars.  3 stars are the guys that just get bunched up typically because they don't play on a powerhouse team.

you pay 5 stars whatever it takes to get them here, that's what the fuck you do

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Hermanator said:

With NIL Sark shouldn't give a shit if the HS coaches are pissed. Texas still puts out QB and skill position talent that other big time universities take and make into stars. Whatever their HS coach thinks won't make a shit when we're offering them a chance to play in the SEC and make bank. Need to import linemen and LB from other states. Hopefully Sark gets that 

Lmao our culture and ineptitude has fucked NIL too. 

Players and fans have the same problem - 100% arrogant and believe our own bullshit, 0% grit and drive.

No passion or desire. Just arrogance, entitlement, and expectation.

The contrast between Texas and Arkansas - fans, stadium atmosphere, player attitudes, couldn’t have been clearer.

A tale as old as time, kids are wimps and lack any character. Unlike me and my parents. And lets ignore who raised them. /Geoffrey Chaucer

We lost. We have problems. All summer most were jizzing themselves over QB practice reports and ignoring the root fucking problem.

Sark got his ass handed to him. He can either learn from it and focus on the fundamental problems with the team or join the unemployment time in 3-4 years.

6 hours ago, David Dennison said:

I came to terms with it a long time ago. That's why I still get mileage from 2005. The previous national championship came the year before I was born.

Texas will have breakout success every now and then. If we get really lucky, it will be a national championship. But we are never going to be Alabama. Football isn't that important to the university. Plus, we make gobs of money without having to be Alabama.

Who gives a shit about money. Alabama is who we need to model ourselves after when it comes to football. It disgusts me to think that we have people in power at Belmont and have fans who want us to be Cal. Thankfully, joining the SEC and the real possibility of being humiliated on a week by week basis will drive that stupidity away. We are a southern school where football is king and we can model on how to succeed by copying Bama and Georgia - peer schools that we have much more in common with academically and culturally than Cal.

Edited by Macklemore

2 hours ago, David Dennison said:

Like everything in life, getting a good coach is mostly luck. That's hard for people to accept.

This. Every program in college football cycles through failed coaches until they stumble into the right one. This was my fear going back to the end of the Mack Brown era. It's a game of Russian roulette but it takes 4 years to drag the body out of the room and start a new game.

4 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

Sark isn't exactly racking up recruiting stars in this class so let's hope he's evaluating future stars on the field. 

This is exactly what I am talking about.   Chasing stars.   I don't give a shit about stars anymore.  Winning the recruiting bowl game over the past decade has lead to fuck all on the field.  

5 hours ago, mdmost said:

But if we go outside of the state, the pussy entitled high school coaches in this state are all aghast.

Fuck these twits. It was a good tactic by Mack to pretend they were the forefront of all success at Texas and most of them were dumb enough to believe that horseshit. 

2 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

We need a football only AD that only answers to CDC and the coaching staff. His job is to ensure other people within our athletic department fall in line and do whatever it takes to pass any and all NIL deals, tell compliance to go fuck themselves, and shitcan that cunt Plonsky. 

Yeah, we need more bloat in our athletic department.  Sure.  

I think the real problem isn't the evaluations and the nO-line, it is the janitor.  Maybe he is using lightbulbs that are low-frequency and they are giving the players headaches and making them nauseated.  Or maybe it is the turf?  Or maybe the players are broken up of the current political divide within the nation?  Or whatever horseshit distraction excuse for not addressing the fundamental of football.  Line play.   

3 minutes ago, Nivek said:

Yeah, we need more bloat in our athletic department.  Sure.  

I think the real problem isn't the evaluations and the nO-line, it is the janitor.  Maybe he is using lightbulbs that are low-frequency and they are giving the players headaches and making them nauseated.  Or maybe it is the turf?  Or maybe the players are broken up of the current political divide within the nation?  Or whatever horseshit distraction excuse for not addressing the fundamental of football.  Line play.   

It wouldn’t be bloat. It would literally eliminate the bloat for the football program. It would have its own system that is separate from everything else and we wouldn’t have to worry about all the dipshits in the AD. It also creates a fall guy scenario which would help us setup a system that we need going forward in the sec. urban Meyer literally wanted this setup and tbh it makes a lot of sense. 

Edited by BurntOrange&White

7 hours ago, mdmost said:

I'd love to pull Michael Griffin away from the LHN and ask him his honest thoughts about the culture and mental makeup of the average Texas player. I can't help but think how angry he must get watching this team year after year given what his teams were able to accomplish because they weren't tissue soft.

I mean we've been having this same discussion since Mack was here. Charlie was going to restore the toughness of Texas. Herman was going to make them tough and hungry like the Houston players. 

This discussion dates back to Fred Akers. 

45 minutes ago, Macklemore said:

Who gives a shit about money. Alabama is who we need to model ourselves after when it comes to football. It disgusts me to think that we have people in power at Belmont and have fans who want us to be Cal. Thankfully, joining the SEC and the real possibility of being humiliated on a week by week basis will drive that stupidity away. We are a southern school where football is king and we can model on how to succeed by copying Bama and Georgia - peer schools that we have much more in common with academically and culturally than Cal.

Pre-Saban Alabama had one really good year in 2+ decades.  They wandered the wilderness forever after Bryant. 

3 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Well, we’ve been doing so for 15 years or so, all while having a bad case of “loving the smell of our own farts.”

It’s only been 11 years since we played in the NC, and got fucked out of it the year before that.  

Solid decade of “Alamo Bowl is Our Ceiling” though.  

• Hook 'Em 1

We gotta stop all this Alabama talk, Saban is the GOAT. That means he’s not able to be copied. Vince Lombardi, Tom Landry, that cock holster Belichik….these are guys you borrow ideas from but never believe you’ll be them. Let’s step out of the forest of ass to mouth we’ve wandered and shoot for 9 quality wins. Then next year let’s win 9 games again while playing a little bit better football. Year 3 if sark, PK and company are worth something long term we should be able to push some people around and notice differences in the attitude during the games. A quick fix would have been possible in 2014 right after Mack…nowwwww…we are in a full on burn it the fuck down and start over mode.  I’m here for 9-10 wins and I’ll gladly eat my crayons like a regard along the way. One thing I’ll say about bama, Georgia and clemson…they don’t have to work as hard at culture anymore. Their juniors and seniors set the tone so all that hard work is focused on teaching and recruiting. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

We gotta stop all this Alabama talk, Saban is the GOAT. That means he’s not able to be copied. Vince Lombardi, Tom Landry, that cock holster Belichik….these are guys you borrow ideas from but never believe you’ll be them. Let’s step out of the forest of ass to mouth we’ve wandered and shoot for 9 quality wins. Then next year let’s win 9 games again while playing a little bit better football. Year 3 if sark, PK and company are worth something long term we should be able to push some people around and notice differences in the attitude during the games. A quick fix would have been possible in 2014 right after Mack…nowwwww…we are in a full on burn it the fuck down and start over mode.  I’m here for 9-10 wins and I’ll gladly eat my crayons like a regard along the way. One thing I’ll say about bama, Georgia and clemson…they don’t have to work as hard at culture anymore. Their juniors and seniors set the tone so all that hard work is focused on teaching and recruiting. 

Alabama has hired the two greatest coaches in the history of the sport. 

• Hook 'Em 1

The issue with the culture is no one is accountable for poor play. The same shitty OL that barely got Robinson to a 5 yard average against a Sun Belt team, played nearly the entire game against Arkansas. To me this is most glaring problem, if you aren't be held accountable for your shitty play, other players notice it.

Frankly, unless Flood massively changes the OL, then expect a few more of these games this season. TCU, OU, and ISU are going to skull fuck this current iteration of the OL.

• Rage+1 1

3 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

The issue with the culture is no one is accountable for poor play. The same shitty OL that barely got Robinson to a 5 yard average against a Sun Belt team, played nearly the entire game against Arkansas. To me this is most glaring problem, if you aren't be held accountable for your shitty play, other players notice it.

Frankly, unless Flood massively changes the OL, then expect a few more of these games this season. TCU, OU, and ISU are going to skull fuck this current iteration of the OL.

I wonder if the athletic department would notice it if the fans ever held them accountable.

I guess we'll never know.