This is who Steve Sarkisian is.

lilMAC25

5 minutes ago, hookem48 said:

when did we sit on the lead? We were running the same offense but OU started bending us over on the oline.

But today why no jet sweeps, why no Ro-Cat to spice up our offense with the pressure that they were getting? It's like we thought we were comfortable with the lead and thought we could let the game play out with a heavy dose of Bijan up the middle and 3rd and long passes. I know this weighs heavy on the defense, but all gas, no brakes mean we stay creative on offense.

Take out the Xavier desperation touchdown tying score, we put up 3 fucking second half points.

8 minutes ago, hookem48 said:

when did we sit on the lead? We were running the same offense but OU started bending us over on the oline.

We barely ran the ball in the 2nd half and put the ball in Casey's hands way too much. We brought Keilan Robinson in once and didn't use him. We brought Roschon in and didn't use him. Just lots of creativity went out the window in the 2nd half. I was screaming from the upper deck to give the ball to Bijan and it never seemed to happen. Maybe it did and I missed it in the oppressive heat and delirium of losing the 21 point lead. 

Edited by mdmost

17 hours ago, lilMAC25 said:

He’s a middling HC. Fantastic OC, middling HC.

This post here received negs from people I’ve never even seen post hahaha! I’d also like to know if that whole first page has the most negs total of any thread’s first page because that would be awesome. I’m really not sure what you thought was going to happen but man you can’t afford to take that chance again lulz. 

Just now, JohnnyRage said:

But today why no jet sweeps, why no Ro-Cat to spice up our offense with the pressure that they were getting? It's like we thought we were comfortable with the lead and thought we could let the game play out with a heavy dose of Bijan up the middle and 3rd and long passes. I know this weighs heavy on the defense, but all gas, no brakes mean we stay creative on offense.

Take out the Xavier desperation touchdown tying score, we put up 3 fucking second half points.

Bijan couldn't even run, you think Rojo is spicier than Bijan? jet sweeps when we were getting blown off the ball into the backfield every play? Sark may end up sucking as head coach but he knows what he's doing on offense.

4 minutes ago, lilMAC25 said:

Nick Saban is a sample of 1.

maybe 2 if you want to shoe horn Davo into the argument.

there are literally hundreds of others who did the same and then failed miserably at bigger better recruiting schools.

You are correct. However, if you look at the who you understand why it worked or did not. For example, Herman was the snake oil salesman. He went to tOSU and stole Urban Meyer's offense without the feel Urban had for it. He then stumbled into the absolute PERFECT situation for said offense at UH of a dynamic former wide receiver at QB who rushed for 1300 yards in 2015 with no injuries. However, anyone who knows football could see that they lost games they weren't supposed to to also rans during his tenure at UH. We also did not know what type of recruiter he was as he was never anywhere long enough to know that. UH looked exactly how we looked. Played well against big opponents but lost some head scratchers.

Snake oil salesmen like Sweeney can work, you just have to land good coordinator hires. Mack made it by like this for awhile.

Tacticians who land at good schools that recruit for themselves by brand usually do well. Urban is a tactician. Saban is a tactician. Riley is a tactician.

They just need to be good enough at recruiting to get us up in to single digits perennially, because at the end of the day players win games.

• Hook 'Em 3

7 hours ago, victory88 said:

Last year they went up big on us and we came back.  This game is always that way.  Same thing happened in 2018 but we made a few more plays and that was the difference.  Today ou made those plays.  Caleb Williams is fucking good.  This one just stings because we all thought we had this game won being up 21.   

Team needs to regroup and show up for osu bc there’s a lot of football to be played and we still control our own destiny with regards to making it to the big 12 championship game.   With that said our fan base is a bunch of bitches quitting on this team after a close loss in a tough game.  Let’s go drop 50 on osu next week and keep improving.

unfortunately, I never thought we had the game won(I thought we had a chance to win it had we matched OU's 2nd half opening drive FG with a TD) because our D sucks shit through a straw again for something like the 9th time in the last 11 years.  I was hoping PK was gonna change that but based on what happened in the 2nd half against Tech/TCU/OU I'm not hopeful.

Steve and PK got one for the record books though so there's that.  the good news is you can't lose after being up 21 if you don't get up 21.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, mdmost said:

We barely rushed in the 2nd half and put the ball in Casey's hands way too much. We brought Keilan Robinson in once and didn't use him. We brought Roschon in and didn't use him. Just lots of creativity went out the window in the 2nd half. 

You're talking about 2 running backs that need holes to run through,  there were no holes to run through, Bijan was our only hope running the ball.

1 minute ago, hookem48 said:

Bijan couldn't even run, you think Rojo is spicier than Bijan? jet sweeps when we were getting blown off the ball into the backfield every play? Sark may end up sucking as head coach but he knows what he's doing on offense.

Yes, I think Whittington can run, and Xavier can run, and Roschon can run, and Keilan can run. To not show them different looks and directions was bad news.

13 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

It depends on where that data was accumulated. For example, Saban was an average coach at Mich State. Now he is the greatest coach to ever put on a headset at Bama. Why the difference? Recruiting pools matter. The school name matters. It's hard to win at a school that has no recruiting pool and no name history. Especially if you aren't the snake oil salesman some coaches are.

Complete institutional buy-in and commitment to the football program matters. The winners in college football these days (last decade or so) have that, with few exceptions.

18 minutes ago, hookem48 said:

didn't he take over a winless team at Washington? seems that would probably hurt your overall win loss record.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/coaches/steve-sarkisian-1.html

which season in this screams “he’s gonna break out?

8-4 at Washington?

or 

9-4 at USC?

• Fuck You 1

27 minutes ago, lilMAC25 said:

note: I’m still not advocating to fire Sarkisian.

Then this thing is all just a passive aggressive thread that has no fucking point.  Oh boo fucking hoo this is who Steve Sarkisian is, BUT I'm not calling to fiire him yet, nope nope nope....just pointing out he is a middling HC with a tinge of as it is now and shall ever be.

Fucking pussy, shit or get off the pot.  At least whoever started the fire Tom Herman thread had nuts.  

2 minutes ago, lilMAC25 said:

8-4 at Washington?

or 

9-4 at USC?

you talked about his overall record, I asked if he took over a winless team at Washington. When did I say a fucking thing about him breaking out?

33 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

Sark’s ability to win here will be based on one thing and one thing only.  His ability to recruit, especially O line and D line.  I am pissed about yesterday but I don’t blame Sark at all.  This is a Herman team at this point and if you look at the players on our O and D line it is Texas Tech level.  The main reason our offense is good this year is because Sark is a good play caller in spite of the O line and also we happen to have a running back that is a mix between Emmit Smith and Barry Sanders in the backfield.  He makes plays that most if not all other RB’s in the country would take for a 2 yard loss because there are 3 guys waiting in the backfield because of poor O line play.  Think how bad this offense would look without Bijan.  Same issue with the defense.  PK may suck but the guys he is playing are about as effective as if they put me out there.  Guess what, if you are not fast enough and strong enough you won’t be able to tackle the guy that is bigger and stronger than you.  Our D line gets absolutely swallowed up almost every play.  No pass rush, can’t set an edge, can’t shed a block.  It’s not because they haven’t been taught correctly or the coordinator isn’t calling the right plays it’s just that they aren’t good enough.  We could have won yesterday in spite of this but OU has better players and they played to their level after the first 5 minutes of the game.  I don’t follow recruiting as close as others on here but if Sark doesn’t have the commits yet he needs to hit the portal and bring in every possible lineman that can help this team asap and let the new recruits on each line develop for a few years.  Then maybe I can go back to not having to kick my dog every Saturday night out of rage that the UT football team ruined my weekend.

100% this.

I don't give one flying fuck about stud recruits coming in on the skill position side of things until I see pipe swingers being installed on the lines, especially the O-Line.  What we have now is pure comedy.  I could round up a few dudes down at Gold's Gym right now who could push them around and confuse the shit out 'em.  They are beyond terrible.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

Fucking pussy, shit or get off the pot.  At least whoever started the fire Tom Herman thread had nuts.  

In fairness, I think whoever started the fire Sark threads got perma-banned, or were told they would be. So, this may have been OP's best/only option.

Edited by Landomatic
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Cajun said:

100% this.

I don't give one flying fuck about stud recruits coming in on the skill position side of things until I see pipe swingers being installed on the lines, especially the O-Line.  What we have now is pure comedy.  I could round up a few dudes down at Gold's Gym right now who could push them around and confuse the shit out 'em.  They are beyond terrible.

we've been recruiting to play 7 on 7 for years, it's got to fucking stop. fucking pussy ass football.

• Hook 'Em 1

Too early for conclusions on Sark- negative OR positive.  Those defending Sark under the guise that he needs time to replace Herman players and recruit his own are correct.  But it is also true that Sark was a plan B hire after an aggressive pursuit of our Plan A and real reason for letting Herman go in the 1st place (Urban Meyer) so it isn’t ludicrous to wonder if Sark is just the next Strong or Herman.  It just isn’t fair to draw conclusions yet.  

5 minutes ago, lilMAC25 said:

8-4 at Washington?

or 

9-4 at USC?

You’re leaving out that he was a 30 year old functioning alcoholic and basically was so fuckin talented that people overlooked him being hammered all the time. He’s now sober, has some demons that he’s battled, and is in his mid 40’s. He’s hired an excellent staff and is now at a school that recruits well even when we blow. Context matters dick head. 

• Hook 'Em 8

2 minutes ago, lilMAC25 said:

I don't know what "break out" means. We aren't some garbage-tier program without the potential to recruit highly or pay for assistants or whatever. We don't need a transformative god, we need a guy who instills a winning culture.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, A’Dam Psycho said:

Sark needs to go after every O-Lineman in the portal this off-season. Every single one. All of them. Make them say no. Even if they don’t have a chance to start, show the guys that are here that we ain’t fucking around.

Every offensive lineman, defensive lineman, and physical linebacker that can shed blocks should absolutely be the target in the portal. 

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, Cajun said:

100% this.

I’m literally at Gold’s right now.  AND I am a madden champ.  Just sayin…

• Haha 1

After rewatching the game highlights, it’s hard to criticize the offensive play calling. Maybe a sweep or end around to K. Rob would’ve helped in the third quarter, but there wasn’t much time to work with after Grinch adjusted.

What still baffles me is our inability to adjust to the run game up front. Is Pete K that scared to death by the pass? If he is, all he is doing is letting teams stay two dimensional against us. That is not how you stop a team. Stack the box, bring your bigger linemen in, and play 4 DL sets. I’m not a DC, so someone please help me out with this. What the fuck is PK trying to accomplish?

25 minutes ago, hookem48 said:

You're talking about 2 running backs that need holes to run through,  there were no holes to run through, Bijan was our only hope running the ball.

Sark never adjusted.  IMO, we should have schemed a few more QB runs or told Casey to take off once it was apparent the OL was folding. Or run the RoCat. I know he doesn't want the QB to run but it helps slow the rush.

fuck do something vs. watching your OL get mauled.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, USNALonghorn said:

If he is, all he is doing is letting teams stay two dimensional against us. That is not how you stop a team. Stack the box, bring your bigger linemen in, and play 4 DL sets. I’m not a DC, so someone please help me out with this. What the fuck is PK trying to accomplish?

You presume we have DBs who can handle that.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, lilMAC25 said:

8-4 at Washington?

or 

9-4 at USC?

What does the below record scream?

6-5-1

6-6

7-5

6-6

9-2

Overall 34-24-1

That is Nick Saban at Michigan State.  His LSU record wasn’t unreal either but he did have that 13-1 National Championship season.  Once Saban got to Alabama and was able to get unreal recruiting advantages over everyone else suddenly he is a genius.  Listen, Saban is a fantastic coach but college football is a sport where you can be a decent coach and still have success (See Mack Brown, great recruiter and good not great coach but with the talent he amassed he was able to win a lot)  Sark may or may not be the guy but your comment of “which season in this screams he’s gonna break out” is idiotic.  I am guessing you would have been screaming at LSU when they hired Saban with the above record that he shouldn’t have been hired.  Is Sark going to be the next Saban?  I doubt it but if he could figure out how to load his teams with 5 star players at every position every year I think he could be great.    

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, USNALonghorn said:

After rewatching the game highlights, it’s hard to criticize the offensive play calling. Maybe a sweep or end around to K. Rob would’ve helped in the third quarter, but there wasn’t much time to work with after Grinch adjusted.

What still baffles me is our inability to adjust to the run game up front. Is Pete K that scared to death by the pass? If he is, all he is doing is letting teams stay two dimensional against us. That is not how you stop a team. Stack the box, bring your bigger linemen in, and play 4 DL sets. I’m not a DC, so someone please help me out with this. What the fuck is PK trying to accomplish?

Hide his secondary. Make them drive the field slowly as opposed to Splosives. Hope for a negative play.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, dcar00 said:

Sark never adjusted.  IMO, we should have schemed a few more QB runs or told Casey to take off once it was apparent the OL was folding. Or run the RoCat. I know he doesn't want the QB to run but it helps slow the rush.

fuck do something vs. watching your OL get mauled.

Casey had lanes and left some first downs on the field when we needed them, was that Sark flat out telling him not to take off? I don't know.

3 minutes ago, USNALonghorn said:

1 minute ago, bad_teammate said:

You presume we have DBs who can handle that.

Making them beat you with the run gives you a chance that they trip and fall down on their own, blow an assignment, or the rb just misses the hole. Our LB’s as a group are awful. Our DL has no depth. We took away their deep threat passing attack as best as we could. Jett bush played a shit pile of snaps. Let that sink in. 

6 minutes ago, USNALonghorn said:

OU's been killing us with the counter for 20 fucking years.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

3 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

6-5-1

6-6

7-5

6-6

9-2

Overall 34-24-1

That is Nick Saban at Michigan State.  His LSU record wasn’t unreal either but he did have that 13-1 National Championship season.  Once Saban got to Alabama and was able to get unreal recruiting advantages over everyone else suddenly he is a genius.  Listen, Saban is a fantastic coach but college football is a sport where you can be a decent coach and still have success (See Mack Brown, great recruiter and good not great coach but with the talent he amassed he was able to win a lot)  Sark may or may not be the guy but your comment of “which season in this screams he’s gonna break out” is idiotic.  I am guessing you would have been screaming at LSU when they hired Saban with the above record that he shouldn’t have been hired.  Is Sark going to be the next Saban?  I doubt it but if he could figure out how to load his teams with 5 star players at every position every year I think he could be great.    

Profile pic and all that… even the pro coaches get too much credit for winning and losing.  But I agree it’s a more level playing field.  
The college game is basically going semipro.  Annoying but what can we do? 

1 minute ago, hookem48 said:

Casey had lanes and left some first downs on the field when we needed them, was that Sark flat out telling him not to take off? I don't know.

yep. Sark preaches it.  I;m sure he doesn't say 'no running at all' but when your OL is a disaster you need to give the D something to think about with the QB.  we needed to chew clock with first downs and they adjusted to stopping Bijan.

We tried to win the game by running Bijan in the second half and they completely shut us down.  not having Okafor was a big problem.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, WinningIsHard said:

Making them beat you with the run gives you a chance that they trip and fall down on their own, blow an assignment, or the rb just misses the hole. Our LB’s as a group are awful. Our DL has no depth. We took away their deep threat passing attack as best as we could. Jett bush played a shit pile of snaps. Let that sink in. 

Making them beat you with the pass gives you a chance to capitalize on the freshman throwing a pick, dropping the snap (lol), or a lineman missing a blocking assignment. This cuts both ways. Probably boils down to DC personal preference I guess.

Screen passes to a RB don't really seem to be part of the offense, and we probably don't have linemen who could get out in space without falling over their own dicks but I would have liked to see us try one.  Whittington going down hurt probably more than we realize.  He demands a lot more attention than Moore, et al.  

On defense as has been said ad naseum our LBs are straight trash.  The line isn't that good particularly in the pass rush but on run plays their main job is maintain position, seal off running lanes and let the LBs clean up.  I'm not going to fault a lineman for not making the tackle every time we he has held his position but still has an Olineman engaging him.  That's where our JAG-FUCK LBs are supposed to come in. 

2 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

We tried to win the game by running Bijan in the second half and they completely shut us down.  not having Okafor was a big problem.

When you have a much worse OL and much worse DL than your opponent, you don't usually win.

Kind of annoying how inevitable that kind of thing is.

• Hook 'Em 4

8 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Hide his secondary. Make them drive the field slowly as opposed to Splosives. Hope for a negative play.

this is correct. the problem is that we gave up 8.3 a carry so they were getting splosives via the run as well because we essentially have 3 walk on's playing a shit ton of snaps on D.

6 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

6-5-1

6-6

7-5

6-6

9-2

Overall 34-24-1

Everyone always wants to use this once-in-a-lifetime, lightning in a bottle example when discussions like this come up. Meanwhile, there are hundreds, literally thousands of examples that go the other way.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, hookem48 said:

how the fuck anyone thought that game was over after 3 minutes is just amazing.

Yuuup.  Honestly, we held on to our lead longer than I thought we would, and the deplorable defense holding them to field goals a couple of times had a lot to do with it.  But they were hanging by a thread.

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, USNALonghorn said:

Making them beat you with the pass gives you a chance to capitalize on the freshman throwing a pick, dropping the snap (lol), or a lineman missing a blocking assignment. This cuts both ways. Probably boils down to DC personal preference I guess.

Those are good points but Kennedy brooks is a jag. If you had to bet which personnel would beat you guaranteed it’s Caleb Williams with some pretty damn good receivers. The hope is that the weaker part of their offense can be managed for 4 quarters. Now if you take some of the rb’s they’ve had in the past…then I’m probably in agreement. Peterson or mixon would have pushed our shit in.