NCAA Hoops 2021-22

shadow_operative

I will say this about K-State they look much better than they did a few weeks ago. 

They were a couple plays away from wins over Texas, Tech and Kansas in the last couple of weeks. I don’t think anybody is going to enjoy playing them. 

I forgot they also choked the TCU game or they could have gone 4-0 during this stretch. I thought K-State was going to be the auto-win for everyone in the Big 12 but it’s not looking that way. 

Edited by texasstrong12

On 1/23/2022 at 1:25 PM, texasstrong12 said:

The next 5 games for Kansas based on NET: 

#13 Tech

#9 Kentucky

@ #29 Iowa State

#4 Baylor

@ #18 Texas

Jesus, that's brutal. 

I'd be just fine if they split their last 4, with wins at home.

1 hour ago, texasstrong12 said:

Sounds like Chris Mack is done at Louisville. I did not see that hire failing so badly. 

Especially given how it started.  They reached a #1 ranking within his first couple years there. Unless you're a really elite coach college basketball is a volatile endeavor.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

It's going to be amusing to me if Louisville hires somebody like Will Wade or Bruce Pearl after firing Pitino. 

How delightful that Auburn may begin the process of losing their coach during their first week ever ranked #1. 

And fuck Bruce Pearl in the goatass to death. 

3 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

It's going to be amusing to me if Louisville hires somebody like Will Wade or Bruce Pearl after firing Pitino. 

Meh, its Louisville. It wouldnt shock me if they brought back Pitino and installed Petrino for compliance oversight. They give no fucks.

2 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

Almost all the advanced metrics look similar to this. It's a dreadful conference outside of the top 3 teams in UCLA, Arizona and USC. 

Those scores on the bottom 5 of the Big 12 are ridiculous. I know the Big 12 has a bit of an advantage with fewer teams, but it's still ridiculous. According to this rating, the bottom 5 of the Big 12 are rated almost twice as high as the second place B1G. The middle 5 are better than the ACC and Pac 12 top 5.

I wonder how the middle 5 are calculated? I guess it would be rounded up? So 3/4/5/6/7? That's a pretty big advantage for comparative purposes to have the 3rd best team included as part of the middle rankings. 

The other interesting thing is that the SEC is rated better among the top 5, competitive with the middle 5, and then the bottom drops out with the bottom 5. But again, part of it is having more teams in the conference, too.

I also like how Gonzaga helps the West Coast be competitive with the power 6 conferences in the top 5, but then the middle and especially the bottom 5 crater the conference's overall score. 

In any case, the most impressive part is the showing by the bottom tier Big 12 teams. Which anyone who follows this conference knows all too well. It's a freaking meat grinder. 

Thanks for sharing, texasstrong12. That was very interesting.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

ok fine Mr. Fancy Numbers guy.  You win.

Yeah how dare he back up his arguments with facts and data instead of his fee fees like you're doing?

I get you wanna feel good about your win. You should, you have a really good team that's playing really well. 

It is a fact that the PAC is weak outside of a few teams and Arizona does seem to be overrated.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, ztejas said:

Does anyone actually believe that Auburn is the best team in the country?

When they are "on" they are very, very good.

But, they also have the ability to go very, very cold (30% from floor last night) and thus can lose to a lot of teams like they almost lost to Missouri last night. The Tigers shoot a lot of threes, 28 last night and only made 6. If hot they can win it all but, they could also be an upset victim the first weekend of the tournament, as can be said for many teams.

5 minutes ago, Underdog said:

Hard to believe that’s the same team that kicked Gonzaga’s ass this season?  Starting to wonder if there’s some internal strife going on with Bama.  

And beat UH and Tennessee and LSU.  But also lost to Iona, Memphis (blown out), Davidson, Missouri, Miss St and now UGA.  And only lost to Auburn by 4. 

So by the way they play, I fully expect them to beat Baylor.  Talk about bipolar. 

10 minutes ago, Js1 said:

And beat UH and Tennessee and LSU.  But also lost to Iona, Memphis (blown out), Davidson, Missouri, Miss St and now UGA.  And only lost to Auburn by 4. 

So by the way they play, I fully expect them to beat Baylor.  Talk about bipolar. 

Seems that way with pretty much every team.

Heck, every five minutes this season I see a different Pitt team. One stretch they look like they don't want to be there and then they look pretty decent.  

Illinois has been pretty snakebit with player injuries, suspensions, and COVIDs so far this season, but you can add them to the pile of "anywhere between the Final Four and a First Round Exit" teams - seems like there's a lot more of that going around this season than I can remember. 

Using metrics to compare entire conferences is tricky though. Remember how dominant the B1G looked going into the tournament last season, and how unimpressive the PAC12 seemed? The B1G got the shit kicked out of it, and the PAC romped. I'm not exactly breaking new ground when I say this, but the style of play in the tournament (especially recently?) tends to reward the faster, leaner, gentler PAC-style teams and hurts teams from the more physical conferences like the B1G and BIG12. Officiating in both of those leagues is frustrating trash, which probably significantly complicates things when playing the finesse-style teams at tournament time, too. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

Illinois has been pretty snakebit with player injuries, suspensions, and COVIDs so far this season, but you can add them to the pile of "anywhere between the Final Four and a First Round Exit" teams - seems like there's a lot more of that going around this season than I can remember. 

Using metrics to compare entire conferences is tricky though. Remember how dominant the B1G looked going into the tournament last season, and how unimpressive the PAC12 seemed? The B1G got the shit kicked out of it, and the PAC romped. I'm not exactly breaking new ground when I say this, but the style of play in the tournament (especially recently?) tends to reward the faster, leaner, gentler PAC-style teams and hurts teams from the more physical conferences like the B1G and BIG12. Officiating in both of those leagues is frustrating trash, which probably significantly complicates things when playing the finesse-style teams at tournament time, too. 

I do think the B10 was overrated last year but the tournament isn't really that accurate of a reflection of who the best teams in the country are. It usually weeds out pretenders and gets most of the best teams to the later rounds but the SS is never actually the best 16 teams in the country. 

Imagine if you put all 30 NBA teams in a single elimination tournament with 2 teams getting byes in the first round. You'd have wacky shit happen every year. 

As a sports fan I obviously enjoy MM but as a basketball fan I've never thought it to be a great selector for a champion. On paper at least. I think the best team in the country wins more often than not - or maybe 50/50ish.

• Hook 'Em 1

SMU has been rolling winning 12 of our last 13 - sitting right behind UH for 2nd in the American. Up to 54 in kenpom and 57 in NET (before tonight's 20 point win @USF). Unfortunately we were atrocious in non-con and the AAC is down this year so we probably can't lose more than 2 or 3 games down the stretch to have a shot at making the tourney. But - we have 2 in hand against UH. Split those and take care of the rest save maybe one and Ponies should be a tournament team. If not - we can always fuck around and try and win the tourney. 

Kendric Davis is really, really good and I'd imagine on some national short lists for individual awards - but I don't really follow the rest of the country enough to know. 21/4/5 on 47/40/87 splits plus 1.5 steals to 2.3 turns. Numbers have been down so far in conference but rest of the squad has picked him up. I wouldn't be surprised if frosh Zhuric Phelps out of D'Ville finds an NBA roster in a few years. 

(If you're in Dallas go watch 'em play for me. Moody is an awesome venue. The crowd however may leave something to be desired.)

Edited by ztejas