NCAA Hoops 2021-22

shadow_operative

9 hours ago, ztejas said:

As a sports fan I obviously enjoy MM but as a basketball fan I've never thought it to be a great selector for a champion. 

if anyone cares to do the legwork, go add up how many tourney appearances have been made by the following coaches:

Tom Izzo - 1 title

Rollie Massimino- 1

Lute Olson- 1

Tubby Smith- 1

Jim Boeheim- 1

Bill Self- 1

Coach Cal- 1

Mark Few- 0

Bob Huggins- 0

Guy Lewis- 0

Eddie Sutton- 0

Lou Henson- 0

John Chaney- 0

Rick Barnes- 0

winning the NCAA Tourney is arguably the most difficult achievement in sports. 

9 hours ago, ztejas said:

As a sports fan I obviously enjoy MM but as a basketball fan I've never thought it to be a great selector for a champion. 

if anyone cares to do the legwork, go add up how many tourney appearances have been made by the following coaches:

Tom Izzo - 1 title

Rollie Massimino- 1

Lute Olson- 1

Tubby Smith- 1

Jim Boeheim- 1

Bill Self- 1

Coach Cal- 1

Mark Few- 0

Bob Huggins- 0

Guy Lewis- 0

Eddie Sutton- 0

Lou Henson- 0

John Chaney- 0

Rick Barnes- 0

17 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

Tom Izzo - 1 title

Rollie Massimino- 1

Lute Olson- 1

Tubby Smith- 1

Jim Boeheim- 1

Bill Self- 1

Coach Cal- 1

Mark Few- 0

Bob Huggins- 0

Guy Lewis- 0

Eddie Sutton- 0

Lou Henson- 0

John Chaney- 0

Rick Barnes- 0

Este. It's a crapshoot. Sure you get 2018 Villanova's that rightfully just fuck everyone up en route but then you get 2011? UConns that had to win to get in that then somehow take home the trophy. 

Not bitching about the format at all. Just making the point the tourney doesn't always reflect who the best teams were/are. 

On 1/26/2022 at 10:14 PM, ztejas said:

Este. It's a crapshoot. Sure you get 2018 Villanova's that rightfully just fuck everyone up en route but then you get 2011? UConns that had to win to get in that then somehow take home the trophy. 

Not bitching about the format at all. Just making the point the tourney doesn't always reflect who the best teams were/are. 

Tis the reason its the greatest sporting event going in the US.

11 minutes ago, Wally Pryor said:

Bilas knows a lot about basketball and he used to be a solid color guy. But his ongoing anti-ref stance has become tiresome over the years. Yeah, they occasionally suck but they're also human and miss calls. Bilas seems to seize upon and indulge in the latter and it's gotten old. 

I think that's part of being a major personality as an announcer. It becomes about them, rather than the game itself. Heck, Dukie V has been a horrible announcer for almost two decades but, they kept pushing him out there, same, to a lesser degree, with Lee Corso.

• Hook 'Em 1

Holy Shit.  Watching the Oregon - Oregon State game...Oregon player steals the ball right before halftime, launches the ball with a second on the clock from the top of key...at the opposite end of the court...and banks it in.  Never seen a shot like it.  BTW, Oregon's court is FUGLY.

Edited by 83Horn

Watching Tulane @ Houston because I have nothing better to do. Pretty pedestrian game from the #6 team in the country so far. Didn't realize Ron Hunter was Tulane's coach now, still remember that insane 3 pointer his son made to beat Baylor in the NCAA tourney when he was the coach at Georgia State.

Also, their crowd is abysmal. You'd think it'd be easier to drum up fan support in a city that big for a good basketball team.

Edited by Brian Fantana

46 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

Watching Tulane @ Houston because I have nothing better to do. Pretty pedestrian game from the #6 team in the country so far. Didn't realize Ron Hunter was Tulane's coach now, still remember that insane 3 pointer his son made to beat Baylor in the NCAA tourney when he was the coach at Georgia State.

Also, their crowd is abysmal. You'd think it'd be easier to drum up fan support in a city that big for a good basketball team.

You haven't lived in Houston, then.

The city did support Phi Slamma Jamma really well, but nothing since then, basketball or football. Even the Run and Shoot years with Andre Ware and company weren't really supported city wide.

The UH President, Renu Khator has done an amazing job of beginning the transformation of UH from a commuter school to more of a research university. A huge part of that effort has been investing a tremendous amount of money in athletics as a way to connect graduates with the school. Tilman Fertitta has helped provide a lot of the funds. Still, basketball support is lagging behind what has happened in football, and even football support isn't what you'd see at a place like Texas Tech. 

Honestly, both Texas and Texas A&M have always had a lot more support in the city than UH, which is a big reason why both schools never wanted UH in the Big 12. I imagine the conference affiliation will be a big boost for them, so we'll see if that helps. Also, Sampson is obviously a damn good coach. If they can keep him, they'll at least solidify themselves as a conference contender every year, the same way he did at OU. He's not someone who requires the 5*s for his style of play, which tends to be on the ugly side. And he's always going to do well in the portal.

27 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

Watching Big East as a primer, St. John's at Georgetown (on campus and there are empty seats in the high-school like bleachers). It is 57-44, St. John's with 14:39 to play. The Hoyas are 0-8 in conference.

I asked my GTown grad buddy when Ewing was gonna get the axe and he got testy and said "Oh yeah just let me call up the AD and ask" 🤣

It's wild how far that program has fallen, they needed to fire his ass last year at the earliest

4 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

I asked my GTown grad buddy when Ewing was gonna get the axe and he got testy and said "Oh yeah just let me call up the AD and ask" 🤣

It's wild how far that program has fallen, they needed to fire his ass last year at the earliest

$4,000,000 per year does not buy what it used to buy.

34 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

I would imagine there will be some negative regression on Arizona's side and positive on UCLA's side in the 2nd half. No way they shoot 60% again in the 2nd.

Juzang being on the bench with fouls has really hurt them

And so it is.  But I laugh at those who said Arizona sucked after the last game.  They are a damn good team