Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

30 minutes ago, Machinator said:

IT

Reveal hidden contents

By: Joe Cook and Eric Nahlin

We know the board is uniquely focused on the 2020 class. Now you have something to read to take your mind off of it while we go back to trying to cultivate news for the Humidor.

Joe is up first.

REUBEN FATHEREE

In between playing summer basketball and taking basketball or other football visits, the 2021 offensive lineman from Richmond Foster made the trip to Texas for the Heat Wave.

“It was pretty nice,” Fatheree said. “I actually got to speak to Coach Tom Herman about some things. I got to explore the whole Forty Acres and everything. The pool party was actually pretty fun. We got to play some basketball.”

Basketball has recently been at the forefront for Fatheree. He hopes to play in the EYBL Peach Jam in mid-July, and has seen both the football and basketball side of several schools.

On Saturday, the 6-foot-8, 299 pound Fatheree told IT he hasn’t had much contact with Shaka Smart and the Longhorns basketball program. He mentioned he’d like to play basketball in college, but explicitly said a school doesn’t have to offer him the opportunity to play basketball and that it wouldn’t be a deal-breaker for him.

“I would like for the possibility, but if it’s not going to happen it’s fine,” he explained.

Though he hasn’t started speaking with Texas basketball coaches, he has a relationship with Texas offensive line coach Herb Hand and enjoys interacting with him.

“It’s amazing,” Fatheree said. “He treats his players like a father-like figure. He’s an amazing person. He can get things done, and he will coach you up to be the best player you can be.”

The next step for Fatheree is to play basketball at the Peach Jam, followed by releasing his top schools list. Fatheree told IT Saturday he anticipated Texas making that list.

BRIEF COFFEY and DAVIS NOTES

2021 Kennedale defensive back JD Coffey also made the trek down to Austin. He told IT he enjoyed the unique opportunity to bond with Texas players and coaches outside of the football field. He explained he has a “great relationship with Coach Naivar” and that he planned “to stay in touch with him for sure.” He wants to decide after his upcoming junior season. Texas is in a good early position for Coffey.

2021 Everman tight end Juan Davis received the Lil’Jordan Humphrey comparison from the Texas coaches. He didn’t have a lot to say, but gave positive marks to the job the Texas coaches have done recruiting him. When asked what school is recruiting him the hardest, Davis replied “the school recruiting me the hardest is Texas. Only Texas.”

TONY GRIMES

One of the best 2021 corners in the country used the summer to visit schools all over the country, including Texas, Texas A&M, and Oklahoma.

After his trip to Austin, Virginia Beach (VA) Princess Anne CB Tony Grimes gave Texas glowing remarks.

“Amazing, it was amazing being down here,” Grimes said. “I came down here and off the interstate, the first thing I saw was Texas. It was beautiful.”

Grimes traveled with his father first to Norman to see Oklahoma. They then drove south to see Austin before heading to College Station.

The uniqueness of Texas pursuing a player from Virginia wasn't lose on Grimes.

“They don’t really recruit in (my) area,” Grimes said. “A lot of people from Texas play at Texas, some from Georgia, some from the West Coast. They’re treating me right so far.”

Interactions with the players stood out to Grimes, but he noted there’s a coaching connection he’s steadily building.

“Coach Washington is the man,” Grimes said. “Me and him have a good connection.”

Schools from around the country are recruiting what could be the top corner for the class of 2021, but Texas will have a chance to see Grimes in-person again. He plans to make a return trip this fall for a game.

By: Eric Nahlin

MORE ON GRIMES

Joe gave you the particulars from Grimes, but I wanted to offer his father Deon's impressions as well. Grimes is going to be coveted by every school in the nation. That sort of demand will make him a difficult pull for every school but he's one you get in line for to take your shot during the speed-dating portion of early recruiting.

Here's Grimes working against kids a year older.

That Twitter handle belongs to Grimes' father. Here's what he had to say about the swing through Texas.

Whats good my dude? A&M Is always an awesome visit. We expect nothing less from them.... 1st class all the way. Texas!!! :oops:Was incredible!! Real talk!! More than the history and prestige of the university; the coaching staff, in particular Coach Jason Washington and Coach Herman were amazing!! We are people people... just like they are interviewing us, we are interviewing them. This is a business; but you can feel and see the genuine love they have for their players. The players will tell you what you need to know without even asking them a question. Great staff!! We get more love from the residents that live in Texas than our own state. Even the players in Texas show Tony mad love.

Sounds like the first rounds of interviews went well. They've been to A&M a few times and every time they return to College Station the staff needs to be angling for a visit as well. That's in addition to trying to get Grimes to campus as often as possible.

Pulling out-of-state five-star corners will be rough sledding but the staff is taking its shot with a legitimate "Texas-type" kid.

LATRELL NEVILLE

If you don't recall, Neville and Grimes are cousins and have discussed playing together. I'm not sure that will happen but Texas is chasing both. Here's a little background from late April.

Neville wasn't able to make it to the Heat Wave last Saturday but did come in the day before. He was heading home to New Orleans for his grandmother's birthday bash. I don't know if it was a bash, but with it being Louisiana I have my suspicions.

A likable, outgoing kid, Neville has been taking the process seriously from the beginning. He's been a well-known prospect for over a year now but he'll need a big junior year to earn his reputation. I'm guessing he'll have that.

Here are the takeaways from our recent conversation:

Texas: He mentioned Herman thanked him for making it to Texas before traveling to NOLA. Herman underlined how big of a priority he is for the class. Neville spoke most glowingly about S&C. "Out of all the schools I've been to, I think Yancy McKnight is the best." That's high praise, because these are the schools he's been to.

Top suitors: Other schools he mentioned as visiting were Alabama, LSU, Georgia, and A&M.

Cutting his list: Neville will trim his list to six on July 4th. Texas will make the cut.

Davis: I asked what he thought of the potential of playing opposite Quaydarius Davis. He got a little animated and said, "ooh, we'd be double trouble. Who do you stop?"

2021 QUARTERBACK

Katy Tompkins dual-threat quarterback Jalen Milroe made a quick turnaround to Austin after a private visit recently. After that initial visit he received an offer. Last Saturday he met with Tom Herman. Private intel tells us it went well. UT seems to be in the top-three along with Alabama and A&M. One thing I've heard is, that while he knows he's a great fit for the offense, he wonders if he'll be developed as a passer rather than treated as a dual. Those are easy concerns to alleviate and will only be made easier by Ehlinger's progress since arriving.

I've been doing my homework on both Milroe and Preston Stone from Parish Episcopal School. That homework has led me to favor Stone by a decent margin. While Milroe is a better physical fit for what we've seen thus far of the offensive direction, Stone is indeed in the 205 pound range after a spring of hard work in the weight room. He's actually benching 265 pounds, which offers some reassurances towards durability. As a runner he's not as fast as Milroe, but he can make people miss and has decent quickness. The Manziel comparisons are off to me because Manziel had absurd quickness that led to escapability that would translate everywhere except law enforcement. I think Stone's quickness translates to buying time in the pocket and taking free yards in the quarterback run game.

I know that Milroe is competitve with leadership and I now believe the same of Stone. I would have liked to see Stone end up at a 6A school but for people named Preston private schools are public. I don't fault him for not wanting to ride the bench behind nepotism at Highland Park. Should have gone to Prestonwood who plays 6A ball, imo.

Stone gets the nod because he's an uncommon passer. Both have good arm strength but Stone makes all the throws with ease. He's accurate on the run. He can drive the ball; he can throw it with pocket speed and from different arm slots. He has good pocket presence, an innate feel for pressure, and keeps his eyes downfield. On the other hand, Milroe is trying to nail down repeating one arm slot, and isn't as accurate on the move.

I do have some concerns about how long Stone would stick around if he didn't win the job, but roster turnover sets up well for him to come in for at least a year and give it a go.

I think both will recruit well but I think Stone has a bit of brashness to him, similar to Ehlinger, that players -- specifically offensive skill -- will gravitate towards.

That's my take on 2021 quarterbacks. Lock up Stone, push for Savion Byrd, and try to create momentum in the 2021 class and see if it reassures any 2020 players on the fence.

You know it's bad over there (probably everywhere except Hookem 247, those fucking brainless slugs) when the article leads off with passive aggressive shots at the reader-base and then moves immediately into "look at this hopefully placating shiny object."

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 1

TFB on Fatheree: https://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2019/06/open-post-weekend-june-28th-30th/

Reuben Fatheree | Two-Sport Star?
– CJ Vogel

At 6-foot, 8-inches and 299 pounds, it’s easy to see why 2021 Richmond Foster OL Reuben Foster is one of the most highly coveted prospects in the state.

Foster was on campus for the Heat Wave this past weekend and shared with us his top moments from his time on campus.

“It was pretty nice,” said Fatheree following the Heat Wave. “I actually got to speak with Head Coach Tom Herman about some things, I got to explore the whole 40 Acres and everything. And the pool party was actually pretty fun, we got to play some basketball.”

The basketball side of things is interesting. Fatheree has been taking visits for not only football recently, but basketball as well, making his recruiting process a bit different than your average offensive tackle.

“It’s been a blessing first of all, but I mean it’s been pretty awesome too. I’ve gotten to explore both sides and see what everything is like. I get to see what the coaching staff is like, how they treat their players and how they prepare their players.”

Fatheree said he would love to play both football and basketball at the next level “if it is a possibility,” though he added he had not yet heard from men’s basketball head coach Shaka Smart. Though don’t think Texas’ chances are any less due to the basketball side of things not coming around yet.

“I would like for the possibility but if it’s not going to happen, it’s fine.”

Most schools so far have been rather open to Fatheree being able to play both sports, so it will be interesting to see what the Longhorns decide to do with the two sport star.

Fatheree, like most, is big on the relationship built between him and his position coach, and so far, Coach Herb Hand is doing a great job at establishing that relationship.

“It’s amazing because he treats his players like a father-like figure,” said Fatheree. “He’s an amazing person and he will coach you up to be the best player you can be.”

The next step for Fatheree will be to release a top schools list, likely starting at 10 schools, before cutting it down to 3-5.

Texas is certainly expected to make the first cut.

What’s interesting is Fatheree added he plans on taking all five official visits for football and has the option to add five more official visits for basketball as well. Which, if my math is correct, would allow him 10 OVs, something he is seriously considering doing.

19 hours ago, futureman said:

I thought high school camps used 185# for bench reps.  this kid just finished his sophomore year of high school and 26x225 is a good number for OL at the fucking NFL scouting combine. 

I think he got held back 4 or 5 years. 

• Like 1

NCAA

Big Changes Brewing in Spring FB Recruiting Rules

by Tracy Pierson. Jun 28, 2:39 PM

It looks like college football recruiting is going to change pretty dramatically next spring.  The NCAA is on the verge of restructuring the spring recruiting period starting in 2020, with the new model including eight new regional combines conducted by the NCAA.  The last several years of spring football recruiting has consisted of the Evaluation Period, which runs from April 15 to the end of May, when coaches could go out to high school and JUCO campuses to see prospects in person; and a series of camps during the month of June. The camps consisted of those conducted by the school itself, but also satellite camps on other campuses in which coaches from other schools could attend. 

If the NCAA follows through with a proposal it's considering -- and that looks likely -- the June satellite camp period could be going away, however.   The new structure will feature eight regional combines from March 1 to May 31. For eight weekends during that period, a combine will take place somewhere in the country that coaches can attend. They will be at NFL stadiums in different regions, and be invite-only (we aren't certain as to how the invite process would work at this time). This way coaches can theoretically go to all eight combines and see the best recruits from eight different regions of the country.

We have been told that, initially, at least for the 2020 spring, the camps will include just seniors-to-be, but then expand in subsequent years to also include more combines for underclassmen. The data from the combines -- the testing results and such -- will be available to all college coaches, even those that don't attend.  It's uncertain as of this time if media will be allowed to attend the combines.  This will take the place of the June satellite camp season, which was problematic in many ways. First, many programs were manipulating the camps unfairly. For instance, a program would have coaches from other schools on campus for a camp, but then sneak in a "pop-up camp" a few days before in which the more elite prospects would participate.

This would keep those elite prospects from the eyes of the coaches from other programs. This was happening while the host program would also use some coaches from other programs as guest instructors at the camp, thus also saving the expense of paying for camp coaches.  Sending coaches to many different camps all over the country in June is an expensive endeavor, one that many non-Power-Five programs were struggling to afford.  Also, June used to traditionally be a month when coaches snuck in a vacation and, in recent years, with June filled with camps, it's been more difficult to do that.  The programs will still be able to run their own institutional camps in June, according to what we've been told. 

The new NCAA-run combines, though, will probably present some issues themselves. Running from March 1 to May 31, that's about 13 weekends in which eight of those will be taken up by the combines. Most college programs conduct their spring practices during this time and often conduct practices on weekends. More than likely, programs will have to pack more practices into the weekdays to free up the weekends for its coaches to attend the NCAA combines. The Spring Evaluation Period, too, which runs from April 15 to the end of May, will have to be considered in scheduling. UCLA, as an example, waited until it had concluded its spring practices at the end of April before its coaches went out in May to see prospects at their high schools during the Spring Evaluation Period. And remember, spring practices are scheduled around the spring academic calendar. Having the NCAA combines from April through May throws another considerable wrench into what is already a fairly tightly-packed period from March through May.

The NCAA has been notorious for instituting different ideas and concepts into the recruiting process without seemingly much foresight into their impact. The new NCAA-run combines could very well be an improvement for college football recruiting in spring, or perhaps another shot in the dark by the NCAA.

https://247sports.com/college/ucla/Article/Big-Changes-Brewing-in-Spring-FB-Recruiting-Rules-133139517/Amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Edited by LTtxfan

6 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

NCAA

It looks like college football recruiting is going to change pretty dramatically next spring.  The NCAA is on the verge of restructuring the spring recruiting period starting in 2020, with the new model including eight new regional combines conducted by the NCAA.  The last several years of spring football recruiting has consisted of the Evaluation Period, which runs from April 15 to the end of May, when coaches could go out to high school and JUCO campuses to see prospects in person; and a series of camps during the month of June. The camps consisted of those conducted by the school itself, but also satellite camps on other campuses in which coaches from other schools could attend. 

If the NCAA follows through with a proposal it's considering -- and that looks likely -- the June satellite camp period could be going away, however.   The new structure will feature eight regional combines from March 1 to May 31. For eight weekends during that period, a combine will take place somewhere in the country that coaches can attend. They will be at NFL stadiums in different regions, and be invite-only (we aren't certain as to how the invite process would work at this time). This way coaches can theoretically go to all eight combines and see the best recruits from eight different regions of the country.

We have been told that, initially, at least for the 2020 spring, the camps will include just seniors-to-be, but then expand in subsequent years to also include more combines for underclassmen. The data from the combines -- the testing results and such -- will be available to all college coaches, even those that don't attend.  It's uncertain as of this time if media will be allowed to attend the combines.  This will take the place of the June satellite camp season, which was problematic in many ways. First, many programs were manipulating the camps unfairly. For instance, a program would have coaches from other schools on campus for a camp, but then sneak in a "pop-up camp" a few days before in which the more elite prospects would participate.

This would keep those elite prospects from the eyes of the coaches from other programs. This was happening while the host program would also use some coaches from other programs as guest instructors at the camp, thus also saving the expense of paying for camp coaches.  Sending coaches to many different camps all over the country in June is an expensive endeavor, one that many non-Power-Five programs were struggling to afford.  Also, June used to traditionally be a month when coaches snuck in a vacation and, in recent years, with June filled with camps, it's been more difficult to do that.  The programs will still be able to run their own institutional camps in June, according to what we've been told. 

The new NCAA-run combines, though, will probably present some issues themselves. Running from March 1 to May 31, that's about 13 weekends in which eight of those will be taken up by the combines. Most college programs conduct their spring practices during this time and often conduct practices on weekends. More than likely, programs will have to pack more practices into the weekdays to free up the weekends for its coaches to attend the NCAA combines. The Spring Evaluation Period, too, which runs from April 15 to the end of May, will have to be considered in scheduling. UCLA, as an example, waited until it had concluded its spring practices at the end of April before its coaches went out in May to see prospects at their high schools during the Spring Evaluation Period. And remember, spring practices are scheduled around the spring academic calendar. Having the NCAA combines from April through May throws another considerable wrench into what is already a fairly tightly-packed period from March through May.

The NCAA has been notorious for instituting different ideas and concepts into the recruiting process without seemingly much foresight into their impact. The new NCAA-run combines could very well be an improvement for college football recruiting in spring, or perhaps another shot in the dark by the NCAA.

https://247sports.com/college/ucla/Article/Big-Changes-Brewing-in-Spring-FB-Recruiting-Rules-133139517/Amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Hate this. And their goes some part of the advantage of being a staff of strong evaluators. 

26 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

NCAA

This seems dumb 

2 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Hate this. And their goes some part of the advantage of being a staff of strong evaluators. 

I agree here comes the ncaa trying to organize something that they have no fucking clue about. It's going to be a cluster and less kids will be getting evaluated. 

4 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

NCAA

Seems to royally screw over the non-"top" kids, no?

2 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Do we have any insight into how this recruitment is going? I don't trust early perroni crystal balls for shit, but Bellaire hasn't exactly been kind to us. I thought he had been more positive about UT lately but that could be nothing other than wishing on my part. 

Just now, SydneyCarton said:

Do we have any insight into how this recruitment is going? I don't trust early perroni crystal balls for shit, but Bellaire hasn't exactly been kind to us. I thought he had been more positive about UT lately but that could be nothing other than wishing on my part. 

I think Roach said recently that he's interested in the SEC.

Edited by Machinator

2 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Think he has some Ohio stink in his blood, ND and aggie/sec seem to round out his top schools.

12 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

A&M, Texas, Ohio State, Georgia, and Michigan seem to be the favorites, with A&M possibly leading, but it's early 

6 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Hoping we can land at least 1 of Foster/Conner/Jackson to be a Guard with potentially Brock at C and Brock-Byrd at Tackle.

Not sure where Conner plays, has a few years to prove his feet. 1 of Foster or Jackson to go along with those 3 you mentioned would be great. I refuse to believe Hand would ignore Foster but perhaps we really did/are screwing that recruitment up.

1 minute ago, Goodman said:

Not sure where Conner plays, has a few years to prove his feet. 1 of Foster or Jackson to go along with those 3 you mentioned would be great. I refuse to believe Hand would ignore Foster but perhaps we really did/are screwing that recruitment up.

If we miss on Foster, doesn't sound like it will be Hand's fault.

5 minutes ago, Goodman said:

I don't know if it's "screwing it up", so much as making a conscious choice to deprioritize kids who want to be dual-sport in college. Now whether that's smart is a different question.

I don't love Jackson's build, but he probably deserves to be a 5* at this point. I'd probably have Foster in there too, after he held up against Bresee last week despite being an underclassman guard. Tommy Brockermeyer and Byrd are easy 5*s for me.