Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

12 hours ago, Spider2YBanana said:

I'd be happy with Stone or Milroe, but Stone looks to have the better throwing mechanics, so I'm a little biased. Also he's a 5*, and I love sipping aggy tears. 

Anyone know where he may end up if we take Milroe instead?

So when evaluating 16 year old prospects who shouldn't be playing for 4 years or more, you rank them based on whether or not they have already developed the most easily coachable thing? Interesting. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, Huckleberry said:

So when evaluating 16 year old prospects who shouldn't be playing for 4 years or more, you rank them based on whether or not they have already developed the most easily coachable thing? Interesting. 

I also stated that it's because I'm biased about his ranking, and in another post I said I wouldn't care who we took because the coaches have proven to develop whomever they land. Stone looks to have better throwing mechanics, yes, but that doesn't mean he is the better athlete. Plus like you said, they're 16, so Stone could drop faster than Gunnell. Hence why I was asking what people thought. 

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

Landon Jackson isn’t a b-backer, he’ll be DL all the way. 

Davis is 6’4, 217 before his junior year in HS. I don’t think size will be a concern. 

We use our primary TE pretty traditionally. Obviously, the more versatility, the better but I don’t think there’s much question about how we use TE in our base 11 personnel. 

I do think Herman wants to be able to run more 12 personnel, which is why taking Wiley and Liebrock was great and Mcree and Davis would be a great class.

Now that defenses are adjusting to spread and going lighter, the next move for offenses is to be able to run heavy personnel, but have the skill versatility to run 4 wide without subbing. Basically what the Pats did to win the Super Bowl. 

Once he has the personnel for it, I think Herman would like to have Wiley be lined up at inline TE, with guys Liebrock/Davis as a move piece that can start in the backfield at H-Back and be motioned out to the slot if the defense lines up heavy or stay In as a blocker if the defense tries to run a dime look.

Guys like Liebrock and Davis are perfect for that second TE role.

It’s such a drastic difference between watching a program under Herman as opposed to Strong. Herman certainly has some faults but there’s no doubt in my ind he’s one of the best offensive minds in college football , even if he doesn’t yet get the same notoriety as Lincoln Riley, and Herman being on the cutting edge of new offensive trends, like 2 TE sets, is going to pay real dividends.

Really a great post  @Burt Macklin   Thanks!!

giphy.gif

2 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

Herman certainly has some faults but there’s no doubt in my ind he’s one of the best offensive minds in college football , even if he doesn’t yet get the same notoriety as Lincoln Riley, and Herman being on the cutting edge of new offensive trends, like 2 TE sets, is going to pay real dividends.

when he won the championship at bucknut state he had two TEs that went about 6’6” 255 and used both of them extensively.  jeff heuerman and nick vannett.  hopefully liebrock and wiley can turn into that. 

7 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Guessing this is the “more good news” that Super K alluded to. Hoping it’s Milroe

Given that Sayles told the aggy board that Davis would probably commit to us "soon. Real soon.", I'm guessing it's him. Sayles doesn't have much incentive to keep it quiet since Davis doesn't hold an aggy offer.

18 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Guessing this is the “more good news” that Super K alluded to. Hoping it’s Milroe

It's either Davis or Milroe.  If we're going off clues then it's more likely Milroe.  All the Davis smoke just started yesterday and the TFB talk of "more good news" was around the time the Milroe smoke started happening and picks were coming in.

• Like 1

On 7/20/2019 at 8:51 AM, Dbeasy said:

Besides physical tools what about intelligence, leadership and work ethic. Are they both solid in those areas?

I’ve heard that Milroe’s character/intangibles are off the chart great 

27 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

If we're going off clues then it's more likely Milroe.  All the Davis smoke just started yesterday and the TFB talk of "more good news" was around the time the Milroe smoke started happening and picks were coming in.

This isn't the good news they were alluding to earlier. Gotta be Davis.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Machinator said:

This isn't the good news they were alluding to earlier. Gotta be Davis.

If I'm 995, this is the perfect time to talk about how it "could" be and AZ or CA 5 Star.

Mehringer gets Wilson to shut it down, Drayton's tough love and inability to connect to a young RB pays off or TO is playing chess by getting Flowe to announce after 6 months of visit talk.

40 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Isn't Blackshire the one that'd dead set on SEC-SEC-SEC?

He was thought to be a big LSU lean for a long time, and then Bama recently took the lead after a June visit 

If we get a bunch of DFW guys in the boat including Byrd, I bet they can work on getting us at least in the top group here 

34 minutes ago, Fud said:

He was thought to be a big LSU lean for a long time, and then Bama recently took the lead after a June visit 

If we get a bunch of DFW guys in the boat including Byrd, I bet they can work on getting us at least in the top group here 

Beat LSU and a lot of guys SEC bias may dissipate

2 minutes ago, thepop said:

CB for Davis. Looks like it’s him.

For a guy we constantly drag (for somewhat good reason), Warehime does get his work done early. Liebrock/Wiley, Hullaby, McRee/Davis - all pretty low excitement recruitments.

I assume this and Gilespalooza were all timed to make Drayton look bad and I am here for it.

4 minutes ago, texifornia said:

For a guy we constantly drag (for somewhat good reason), Warehime does get his work done early. Liebrock/Wiley, Hullaby, McRee/Davis - all pretty low excitement recruitments.

I assume this and Gilespalooza were all timed to make Drayton look bad and I am here for it.

The flip side is that Liebrock is the only one that was a competitive recruitment and Beck seemed like the primary guy there.

2 hours ago, Fud said:

good thing we got Sampl......

shit