Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

3 hours ago, TheWellofInformation said:

Wonder who the OL Coach at Katy Taylor thinks is a better OLmen 

Foster or Conner 

Foster's buzz is about blocking Bryan Breese at some Rivals Camp.

Did Breese really do much at Clemson this year 

I have watched games at Taylor for the past 4 years and feel Conner is better.

1 hour ago, RGBIII said:

TFB

***Haven’t gotten the ok from my source to release the name but am told another entrant to the portal is likely to come in the next few days. Likely Monday or Tuesday.

***Player is a freshman. I’m told he hasn’t let the coaches know but does already have a spot and has begun moving out. So, while the coaches may be able to convince him to stay, I don’t imagine it will be easy

Goddammit The Big Lebowski GIF - Goddammit TheBigLebowski TheDude -  Discover & Share GIFs

TFB
***Haven’t gotten the ok from my source to release the name but am told another entrant to the portal is likely to come in the next few days. Likely Monday or Tuesday.
***Player is a freshman. I’m told he hasn’t let the coaches know but does already have a spot and has begun moving out. So, while the coaches may be able to convince him to stay, I don’t imagine it will be easy

I’ve got a secret, I’ve got a secret.

31 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Nahlin on the transfer

It’s a surprising name and not ideal, but also not someone you saw much of this season and probably wouldn’t see much of next year either.

I have no fucks to give about most of the players’ commitment this team right now. Hell, I don’t even know why I continue visit this thread (I must like you guys). Until Pee Wee Herman and his smug ass smile are walking out the door for the last time, none of it really matters to me.

Watching the 3A State title game replay with Hallettsville and Jonathan Brooks looks insanely good.  I know the level of competition is probably underwhelming, but they could not stop him in the first half.  Kid has unbelievable balance.  Made a couple nice plays as a LB too.  There's definitely something there.  

Gerry:

IT Recruiting Matters: What possibilities remain in the 2021 class

The hay is pretty much in the barn for the class of 2021. With that being said, the Longhorns still have a top target remaining to make a decision, and a trio of positions that need to be filled.

Here is an early look at top prospects that are still on the board, and could be in play in January.

L.J. Johnson, RB, Cy-Fair
5-10, 205, 4.5
The Aggies appear to be trending for Johnson according to those at Cy-Fair that have a read on Johnson’s recruitment. With that said, Texas also remains confident about their ability to eventually land the four-star running back. Johnson can opt to be a January enrollee if he has a decision made, and then just enroll at Texas A&M or Texas.

https://www.hudl.com/profile/10421054/JohnathanLJ-Johnson

Keithron Lee, WR, Bryan Rudder
5-10.5, 175, 4.5
Lee has been a lean to Texas for the last couple of weeks, to the point of some considering him a silent commitment in the last week. Texas Tech, Ole Miss, Tennessee and others continue to put up a good fight. Lee could make a public commitment to the school of his choice in the next 7-8 days. This is a recruitment the Longhorns need to close.

https://www.hudl.com/profile/10348732/Keithron-Lee

Austin Uke, OT/G, Dallas Parish Episcopal
6-3.25, 275, 81-inch wingspan
Herb Hand finally offered Uke a couple of weeks ago. The good news for Texas is there is time to work on Uke, but Stanford, USC and Florida State have been way ahead as of a few days ago.

https://www.hudl.com/profile/12646169/Austin-Uke

Garfield Lawrence, DE, Tyler Legacy
6-4, 250
Lawrence is a stud on senior video, and there is a reason IT had him ranked much higher than anyone else prior to the season. This guy has long term football potential. Lawrence is committed to Kansas, but chose to wait until February to sign. This will end up being a great decision by him. Texas has been monitoring Lawrence for a year now. Texas should have offered Lawrence long ago, and should offer him now.

https://www.hudl.com/profile/10172242/Garfield-Lawrence

David Abiara, DE, Mansfield Legacy
6-4, 240
The long-time Notre Dame verbal remains unsigned after an off the field issue slowed his recruitment. Prior to the incident, Notre Dame, Texas and SMU were battling it out for the all-around terrific talent at DE. If Texas were to re-engage, the Longhorns would be high on the list due to academic/football combination. Oklahoma could also be in play here, once again.

https://www.hudl.com/profile/10157165/David-Abiara

Keith Cooper, DE, Dickinson
6-4, 225, 83-inch wingspan
Cooper shows flashes of what he can become on senior tape. Right now, he has Arizona State, UCLA, Penn State, Ole Miss, Kansas State and Indiana as the six schools he is expected to choose from in January. Texas has been monitoring Cooper all season.

https://www.hudl.com/profile/10304591/Keith-Cooper

Shakari Denson, CB, Claxton High (GA)
5-10.5, 170, 4.55
Denson has been contacted by Texas, but there is yet to be a push by the Longhorns. One look at the tape of the one-time Michigan State verbal, and it’s easy to say that Denson may be the most underrated cornerback prospect in the 2021 class. Along with offers from Michigan State and Virginia Tech, Clemson and Mississippi State have shown serious interest of late.

https://www.hudl.com/profile/10676009/Shakari-Denson

Alton McCaskill, RB/ATH, Conroe Oak Ridge
6-1, 210, 4.55
Should Texas miss on L.J. Johnson, the staff should be working on McCaskill as a second RB in the class. Currently, Oklahoma State, USC, Vanderbilt, Ole Miss, Houston and Kansas State remain in the mix for the talented athlete that could play RB, or project to OLB long term at the next level.

https://www.hudl.com/profile/10990536/Alton-McCaskill

K.C. Ossai, LB, Conroe Oak Ridge
6-1, 240
Ossai remains committed to Arizona, but has decided to wait until February to sign. Ossai’s senior tape is better than a player with one Power 5 offer. There will be more.

https://www.hudl.com/profile/10275618/KC-Ossai
  • Hook 'Em 2

9 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

I’m just hoping it’s not Broughton, Dorbah or Crawford.  I guess Dorbah might not fit the description if you assume he’s in the hunt to replace Ossai next year.  

Some were guessing Broughton. IT has reported he’s having issues maintaining passion for the game. I saw his mom joking about the portal yesterday on Twitter. I don’t think it’s him because he’s a legacy but it’s something to keep an eye on. 

3 minutes ago, ChemicalHorn said:

Yeah wouldn’t be shocked if it were Owens (did he RS?) or Caldwell if he feels like he’s already gotten passed up.

Gotta think Owens burned his RS on kick coverage. See him out there frequently.

Could be Caldwell. Feel like that's a misleading use of "freshman" even if technically true

20 hours ago, RGBIII said:

TFB

Nm.   (Probably a DB??)

Edited by LTtxfan
same posted earlier

6 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Nm.   (Probably a DB??)

Yes. whos a freshman. Alford, Crawford, Thompson, Barron, Caldwell are the options. Im guessing Barron or Caldwell. Cant see it being Alford Crawford or Thompson. Barron flaked on Baylor already and Caldwell is steadily getting passed on the depth chart

1 hour ago, RGBIII said:

Yes. whos a freshman. Alford, Crawford, Thompson, Barron, Caldwell are the options. Im guessing Barron or Caldwell. Cant see it being Alford Crawford or Thompson. Barron flaked on Baylor already and Caldwell is steadily getting passed on the depth chart

Barron got out of his LOI after Rhule accepted the Panthers HC job after he had signed. I wouldn't call that flaking on Baylor.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, Schulz2.0 said:

Barron got out of his LOI after Rhule accepted the Panthers HC job after he had signed. I wouldn't call that flaking on Baylor.

Fair. Flaking is harsh but it does show that he didn’t exactly “go through the process” of being locked in to texas, we were the backup after Rhule left. No blame at all on him, and really any kid that transfers this shit show as much as it sucks

5 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

Fair. Flaking is harsh but it does show that he didn’t exactly “go through the process” of being locked in to texas, we were the backup after Rhule left. No blame at all on him, and really any kid that transfers this shit show as much as it sucks

Im not even sure we offered Barron before he initially signed with Baylor. We weren’t his backup plan, he was ours.

• Hook 'Em 1

SIAP...

Friday morning recruiting notes to take you into the weekend

ByMIKE ROACH 

—There was some thought Ishmael Ibraheem might sign today, but that looks like it won't happen. Those around the four-star cornerback were planning for a last-minute ceremony, but it appears Texas wants him to hold off until February. The main reason is to resolve the pending court case against him. Ibraheem has a mid-January court date and it's expected that he's let off with a light punishment considering the charge is a misdemeanor and he's a first-time offender. If everything checks out, Ibraheem should be set to sign in February and join the class. There has been constant communication between the Texas staff and the Ibraheem camp on this and I expect it to be resolved. A source at Texas said they felt good about where things are right now.

—If Texas can add some punch to this class moving forward it will have to be with a guy like LJ Johnson. The four-star running back from Cy-Fair is one of the biggest targets on the board for Texas, but the pursuit is getting tougher. I spoke to a source near Johnson who acknowledged Texas still seemed to have a slight edge, but the Aggies would be tough to hold off. A&M assembled a strong offensive line group in this class and added friends of Johnson like Tunmise Adeleye and Bryce Foster. The Longhorns still have a few things working in their favor including a good relationship with Stan Drayton and Brandon Harris and he has an interest in Austin as a city and Texas as an academic school. The Aggies hold a commitment from Miami (Fla.) Central RB Amari Daniels already but are looking to add more. The next month will be a bloody battle between a Texas program hoping to get a big win and an A&M program with all of the in-state momentum right now.

Keithron Lee appears to be headed to February as well. I mentioned last week that there was some optimism Texas could reel him in this week and get him signed, but it appears they will have to head into January looking to close the deal. I checked with someone near Lee recently who was still bullish on the Texas chances to close the deal and land the highly-productive Bryan Rudder receiver. We will do a full reset of the board on Monday in The Stampede.

https://247sports.com/college/texas/Article/Ishmael-Ibraheem-LJ-Johnson-Keithron-Lee-Friday-morning-notes-Texas-Longhorns-Football-Recruiting-157248128/

• Hook 'Em 2

On 12/18/2020 at 3:31 PM, RGBIII said:

Per TFB, Super K said it's Xavion Alford.