Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

2 hours ago, texifornia said:

https://247sports.com/player/dorian-singer-46086807/

Based on the tweet, we're offering at WR. Best offers are Utah and Iowa State.

The kid is from Minnesota. Moved to Phoenix to play his senior year due to COVID. He's getting offers now that his senior tape is out. The Utah and Iowa State offers should be a good sign.

Edited by Schulz2.0
  • Hook 'Em 2

9 hours ago, RGBIII said:

Used to live on this board...so apathetic now that I don’t even know who the fuck this is. Thought Lee was on board and he was the only receiver we were taking

don't feel bad, Texas offered yesterday and the same day he got CB'd

his reported offers make me sad

6LMEjgNb

his cell phone # is in his twitter bio if anyone wants to ask for the low down: https://twitter.com/dorian_singer1HUDL: https://t.co/RXdXlhP0ss?amp=1

Edited by NoName

Bobby:

As Texas offered a scholarship to a highly talented yet under the radar high school receiver from Arizona yesterday, I was reminded of the quality job overall that the Texas personnel department has done for Tom Herman and his assistants.

Uncovering players like that is easier said than done.

Yet there has been ample dysfunction and mostly disappointing results in recruiting this year.

On the way to getting a player’s signature, the Texas assistants have too often been out-recruited or out-maneuvered for most of the state’s elite targets. Some may say it’s a lack of winning on the field, but too many of these recruiting battles were lost before the football season even began.

Frankly, some of the assistants are poor recruiters. Offensive line coach Herb Hand simply doesn’t connect with recruits well enough. In a year where OL recruits in-state were plentiful, the Horns hit below the Mendoza line.

Likewise, Jay Boulware has done very little on the recruiting trail this cycle, his first in his return to Austin. The tight end staff position is typically manned by a strong, haymaker recruiter. That’s clearly not Boulware, who also was a minus recruiter while at OU. Even receivers coach Andre Coleman seems to be a little wishy-washy with the receivers he is pursuing (see the loss of JJ Henry to Ole Miss) and that impacted his recruiting haul.

There are other macro factors to consider besides winning and individual recruiters.

Some of that has to do with the timing of scholarship offers.

Herman mandates that any in-state offer be a committable one. It’s an understandable decision from a coach not wanting to make enemies with high school coaches. However, it has caused unnecessary delay and irreparable harm in multiple recruitments.

Texas, and whoever is leading the program next, must streamline its approach to in-state offers. There needs to be greater urgency or Texas will continue to come up short.

And finally, it’s not the personnel department’s problem if they recommend and present a player to be offered to the coaching staff and an assistant coach won’t sign off on the offer or the head coach won’t overrule them.

There are a lot of problems with Texas recruiting right now. Not just a single one.

Winning would help. Better recruiters would help. A more streamlined and urgent process would help.

Every single one of the factors above are the responsibility of the head coach to address and overcome.

• Hook 'Em 5

1 hour ago, Dbeasy said:

I’ve been told Burton has always hated Texas. I’ve never subscribed to a 9.95r service, so I don’t know much about Burton. He clearly hates Herman with a passion. Is he always so negative about Texas or is this just a Herman thing?

Burton’s a dumbass in many ways and has been mailing it in to a comical point on actual recruiting coverage for a long time now, but he still has great sources within UT.  He usually takes a conservative stance on things, so he can come off as a bit of a downer, but he is more loyal to Texas than just about any other 9.95er out there. IIRC, He got sideways with UT a bit after Mack left because he was a Mack simp and that’s where all his contacts were and how he got his info and benefitted during the Mack run, but he seems past that now and has clearly maintained the best high-level sources out of all 9.95ers. IT being able to steal Burton away right before this coaching search was huge for them. 

• Hook 'Em 2

20 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Did this really need to be posted in three separate threads?

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

I’ve been told Burton has always hated Texas. I’ve never subscribed to a 9.95r service, so I don’t know much about Burton. He clearly hates Herman with a passion. Is he always so negative about Texas or is this just a Herman thing?

Bobby Burton loves UT-Austin. BBA 1992

I'm the dumb bitch motherfucker of an alumnus that you hate with a passion. I do everything within my bowels to fuck UT-Austin at the Rag paper. My wife won't touch me, so it's the only way I can get the attention I rightfully deserve.

36 minutes ago, Ravishing Rick said:

Any chance we can slide in on Dematrius Davis at QB since Auburn canned Gus?  He could go down as the most accomplished Texas HS qb ever if North Shore wins its third straight title (which is looking likely)...

I am not a Kyler Murray fan, but he is pretty much the most accomplished TXHSFB QB ever?

42-0, 3 State Championships at Allen, Gatorade National Football Player of the Year

also, Davis has officially signed with Auburn?

Edited by NoName

8 hours ago, NoName said:

I am not a Kyler Murray fan, but he is pretty much the most accomplished TXHSFB QB ever?

42-0, 3 State Championships at Allen, Gatorade National Football Player of the Year

also, Davis has officially signed with Auburn?

Touche.  Davis could be the most accomplished quarterback taller than 5'6"