Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

1 minute ago, JPETERMAN said:

I'm not sure that would have been as easy of a slam dunk as you think.  They absolutely hated Herman and I'm sure that factored in significantly, along with the fact that they didn't want Hand coaching them.  But, clearly getting drafted is their main concern, which is understandable.  Nothing we hypothetically we would have done last offseason would have changed how they viewed Alabama.  So whoever we had hired as Head Coach and offensive line coach last season, it still wouldn't be able to compare to the factory that is Bama in regards to getting kids drafted. 

There is a lot of other stuff that Bama has in place that Sark will hopefully try to replicate, whether it be strength and conditioning,   the mental coaches they employ, the nutrition, etc. etc.  I mean let's face it, they are a machine.  Just getting rid of Herman doesn't make us = to Bama in the Brocks eyes I don't think.  I honestly think Bama was a pretty easy choice for them, and having a different head coach at Texas wouldn't have been enough to overlook all their perceived benefits of going to Alabama.

Wrong, if Herman wasn’t the coach they wouldn’t have entertained any other school. Herman is the sole reason, the rest is just hand waving

• Hook 'Em 3

Agree to disagree.  I don't know them personally.  But Blake sure seemed to enjoy all the attention.  I can pretty much guarantee they still take a ton of trips to other campuses and more than likely get wooed and pitched and still end up at Alabama rather than take on faith that a 1st year Coach XYZ at Texas is finally going to be the correct hire and turn things around.  This was a business decision for them.  Pure and simple. All that other garbage was a smokescreen.  "Oh we want to go someplace with great academics, blah blah blah"....   Yeah right.  If any of that were true, they never end up at Bama no matter who the Texas coach is.  There are better combination of academic and football schools available if that was the case.  This was pure and simply about getting to the next level.  And Bama was the choice.

2 hours ago, RGBIII said:

Supposedly a lot of recruits are really pissed about it. No way Saban let’s these kids out of their LOIs either. Who knows what happens with Milroe and Earle if this move is made earlier and without question, if Herman was not the coach this season the brocks would have signed with texas

just when they thought they were away from Texas, the Longhorns hire their OC.  It's gotdam funny is what it is.  Sadistically funny.  Because so much also hinges on what happens with the Championship.  Saban could lose multiple assistants so they effectively committed to Bama and Saban, who may or may not hang around the next few years.  He's talked about how he hates everybody poaching his staff and he has to get tired of beginning with different pieces all the time.  

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, maninblack said:

He's not handling things well

Not handling things well? Or just not handling things the way the BMD’s want him to? Those are two different things 

i have a feeling certain BMD’s (young or old) are being whiney cunts about all of this. 

I’m sure I just stated the obvious. 

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, texifornia said:

I could have just read War and Peace at this point instead of the amount yall have written about the Brockermeyers.  They're signed, Herman's fired, give it a fucking rest.

Show me on the doll where Blake touched you. Was it on your LDE?

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, texifornia said:

I could have just read War and Peace at this point instead of the amount yall have written about the Brockermeyers.  They're signed, Herman's fired, give it a fucking rest.

I disagree and see it more as a barometer of things. Did the Brocks commit to the school or the coach? I think it is pretty obvious that it was the coach. Now the coach (assuming we get Alabama's OL coach in addition to Sark) is at Texas. So give me reasons why the Brocks should attend Alabama over Texas? They gave Saban their word? They trusted him? That's a boy's answer. A boy who goes chasing coaches on the word of a man who wouldn't even tell you where to start.

9 hours ago, RGBIII said:

Supposedly a lot of recruits are really pissed about it. No way Saban let’s these kids out of their LOIs either. Who knows what happens with Milroe and Earle if this move is made earlier and without question, if Herman was not the coach this season the brocks would have signed with texas

I don't think it matters what Saban wants, right? Especially with the Covid transfer rule...It will apply for all of 2021, right?

Edited by BurntOrange&White

34 minutes ago, Bevo said:

So give me reasons why the Brocks should attend Alabama over Texas? They gave Saban their word? They trusted him? That's a boy's answer. A boy who goes chasing coaches on the word of a man who wouldn't even tell you where to start.

Alabama is always good at football and gets players drafted.

Texas is not always good at football and doesn't consistently get players drafted.

14 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Alabama is always good at football and gets players drafted.

Texas is not always good at football and doesn't consistently get players drafted.

Yeah, but that is coach dependent. It isn’t like there is something special in the water. If the coaches go somewhere else, they will get players drafted at the new school. Only reporters would say stupid shit like Texas is soft and base it on Mack Brown from a decade ago. 

9 hours ago, RGBIII said:

This is the frustrating part.  If they were okay with Sark and knew Urban wasn't coming... you get this shit done before NSD!  Once again, we shoot ourselves in the fucking foot.  I hope we still go after Earle and Milroe.  They will be able to get out of their LOI just like Bru was able to when Kliff left.  

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, victory88 said:

This is the frustrating part.  If they were okay with Sark and knew Urban wasn't coming... you get this shit done before NSD!  Once again, we shoot ourselves in the fucking foot.  I hope we still go after Earle and Milroe.  They will be able to get out of their LOI just like Bru was able to when Kliff left.  

Keeping through NSD means no one in the current class gets vultured in the serious upheaval part, especially since Sark has to do his day job through Tuesday and there's no staff in place right now. Positives and negatives.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, victory88 said:

I don't think they knew that Urban wasn't coming.  I think Urban probably strung Texas along for a little while because he hadn't really decided if he wanted to coach college again of give the NFL a try.

And the chances of anyone flipping, even if Herman had been fired and Sark agreeing to take the job immediately, are pretty fucking low.

The idea that the Brocks, or Earle, or Milroe would have immediately flipped to Texas now that Herman was out are pretty fucking low - its all wish-casting at this point.  The idea that any assistants would have been named/hired before the CCG are even lower. 

• Hook 'Em 3

(Mike Farrell) Mind of Mike: Herman's in-state recruiting failures loom large in dismissal

The Mind of Mike is a dangerous place. Here are the latest thoughts from Rivals National Director Mike Farrell about the firing of Tom Herman at Texas.

TEXAS SURPRISES EVERYONE

Wow, just wow! Just when you thought Tom Herman's job was safe after Texas' blowout bowl win over Colorado, he is gone and it appears Steve Sarkisian is the choice to replace him. I can say I am truly surprised at how quickly this turned. Herman was thought to be out the door if the Longhorns had lost to Oklahoma State the same week he lost a commitment from five-star 2022 quarterback recruit Quinn Ewers.

But Texas won that game, had a fairly strong end to the season and Herman seemed to be safe after Urban Meyer turned down overtures from Texas officials. What are we to think now? With a massive buyout, Texas is taking a hit here and essentially admitting that it made two awful hires in a row in Charlie Strong and Tom Herman. The timing of this is odd.

HERMAN LOST TOO MUCH ON AND OFF THE FIELD

What doomed Herman? The simple answer is too many bad losses and average recruiting. Herman went 32-18 at Texas, which is not a good mark for a blueblood program that should have a decisive recruiting advantage in a talent-laden state. He was 22-13 in the Big 12, a conference that is widely recognized as a step below the SEC, Big Ten and perhaps even the ACC. Losing to Maryland, TCU and Texas Tech in his first season wasn't a great start, but losses to Iowa State (twice), Baylor and again TCU in the last couple of years really helped seal his fate. Heck, even the Longhorns' lucky, overtime win over Texas Tech this past September hurt his status. The only in-conference loss that should be somewhat palatable at Texas is an occasional setback against arch-rival Oklahoma. That's about it. That wasn’t happening.

I thought Herman was the right hire when Texas won out over LSU and others for his services after the 2016 season. I expected Herman to have led the Longhorns to a Big 12 title and an appearance in the College Football Playoff by now. With his work under Urban Meyer at Ohio State and his proven ability to recruit the state of Texas during his time with the Buckeyes and as the Houston head coach, this appeared to be a smart hire.

HERMAN FAILED AT IN-STATE RECRUITING

From a recruiting perspective, too many high-profile prospects ended up out-of-state under Herman’s watch. That was never more pronounced than during the 2021 recruiting cycle, with Longhorn legacies Tommy and James Brockermeyer spurning Texas for Alabama. That was simply embarrassing for Herman. Ewers' commitment led to talented 2021 signal caller Jalen Milroe to bolt for the Crimson Tide. And Texas was never in it for elite prospects like Bryce Foster, Camar Wheaton, Donovan Jackson or Tunmise Adeleye.

In Herman's first year recruiting at Texas, Lone Star State products Marvin Wilson, Walker Little, Baron Browning, Jeffrey Okudah, J.K. Dobbins and CeeDee Lamb all got away. Excuses could be made because it was a transitional class for Herman but losing prospects like Jaylen Waddle, Theo Wease, DeMarvin Leal, Kenyon Green, Erick Young, Demond Demas, Jaxson Smith-Njigba, Jaylon Jones and others added up. How could Herman recruit so poorly at Texas? I have no idea.

SARKISIAN IS A CURIOUS CHOICE TO REPLACE HERMAN

Steve Sarkisian is expected to be named the new head coach and he certainly has experience after stints at Washington and USC. However, his USC tenure ended in controversy due to off-field issues. Sarkisian has apparently righted the ship and has led the Alabama offense to amazing heights over the last two seasons, but I’m not sold on this hire at all. Can Sark recruit the state better than Herman? I’m not so sure.

Sarkisian will inherit a talented and young roster led by emerging star running back Bijan Robinson. The 2021 recruiting class has some studs, mainly five-star candidate Ja’Tavion Sanders. Would Ewers, who committed to Ohio State following his decommitment from Texas, take another look at the Longhorns because of how Sark has worked with Mac Jones at Alabama? That’s doubtful considering Ryan Day’s work with quarterbacks but Sark will push.

Recruiting must improve and the development of key commitments is also a must as players like Caden Sterns, B.J. Foster and others never improved enough. Sark has an uphill climb but he’s still being handed the keys to a Lamborghini.

• Rage+1 2

2 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Farrell 100% typed that article pantsless and one-handed

That guy just loves trolling our fanbase, and for all I can guess the only reason he does it is because he always gets a strong reaction for his effort. Does he have a real axe to grind regarding the Texas program?

5 minutes ago, golfclap said:

He’s a mega-Sooner. 

He's regarded.  Can't even keep his insults straight.

What doomed Herman? The simple answer is too many bad losses and average recruiting.

...but I’m not sold on this hire at all. Can Sark recruit the state better than Herman? I’m not so sure.

• Hook 'Em 2

FYI from the comments on the BON negative recruiting article:

https://www.burntorangenation.com/2021/1/3/22212055/tom-herman-fired-players-negatively-recruiting-texas-longhorns?fbclid=IwAR3nYylix4C9ko2jxHBw5VeuOyXL0hsRsty-yI435imDLeqwvdX2PJ0-dJA

Let’s be honest let’s put the names out.
Sam Elghinger 
Jake Smith 
Keontay Ingram
Xavoin Alford
JaQuin Jackson

More truths will be coming out its 2021 lol

1 minute ago, 6th Street said:

https://www.burntorangenation.com/2021/1/3/22212055/tom-herman-fired-players-negatively-recruiting-texas-longhorns?fbclid=IwAR3nYylix4C9ko2jxHBw5VeuOyXL0hsRsty-yI435imDLeqwvdX2PJ0-dJA

Sam Elghinger 
Jake Smith 
Keontay Ingram
Xavoin Alford
JaQuin Jackson

Good thing Sark won't need to kick anyone out of the program - all five players will likely be gone by next year anyways

12 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

Sam Elghinger 
Jake Smith 
Keontay Ingram
Xavoin Alford
JaQuin Jackson

Dude needs spell check

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

Sam Elghinger 
Jake Smith 
Keontay Ingram
Xavoin Alford
JaQuin Jackson

Dude got one name right. And it was "Jake Smith".

• Hook 'Em 4

You have to ask yourself a QB that has been with a Coach for 4yrs

Even tho Sam wasnt Tom’s favorite he always lifted him up to the Media always song praises. Sam on the other hand was always trying to be slick when it came to Tom it started with the injury shit Sam went on his own and said he was hurt Tom kept saying he wasnt. You never undermine your coach and medical staff going rogue like that especially to the press. 2nd it was the "song" we dont need to discuss this again but Sam’s mother was one of the 130 emails sent to Hartzell. How do you think the players in the locker room felt about there "leader" mother saying that they need to stand up straight and sing a song? Lastly has Sam said anything since Tom got fired? No good words like his 4yr head coach has given him time after time? Sam isnt the guy people think he is. Jake Smith is just a follower in my book crying over playing time so oh well I understand why he says things. The black recruits that I named well there transfer bound and once again we know why they decided to negative recruit against us.

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

It's been intimated for months that Sam did not like Herman. I wonder if Sam had any influence on Ewers decommitting? I'm sure our shitty season had much to do with it but would be interesting to know.

Look at the results at OSU and the 2022 class they're putting together and it was a pretty clear choice for Ewers

My feelings are that the narrative of Sam Ehlinger and the real Sam Ehlinger are two very different things. The narrative is that he's this amazing--and I hate this phrase--"leader of men" who motivated his teammates yada yada. TBH I literally never saw this, other than his play on the field at times, which was nothing to sneeze at. He certainly led by example and laid it all on the line physically. But that's just a person that wants to win. And simply wanting to win does not a leader make. All the players want to win. Leadership is something else.

That said, Sam's hate for Herman was palpable and honestly I think it affected his play. He felt hamstrung by the play calling usually from the second series through the last series of the third quarter. This was the same story every damned game. Only in desperation did the handcuffs come off and that was where Ehlinger shined. But the point of leadership is doing it through adversity. And Sam's demeanor, body language, and play--those things we can glean through the television screen, were in my opinion, always pretty bad in during the second act of each game when the play calling became lackluster. The team fed off of Sam's vibe. There was rarely a game over the last four years--and there were exceptions, sure--where Sam and the offense looked engaged for the duration of the game. Defense: different story. They were always engaged whether or not they were getting shelled. I think it's because they had better leaders even when play calling was hindering them. So it's a good comparison. Orlando was an anchor, but those players continued to play their asses off. Herman was an anchor on the offense and the players often phoned it in. Sam included.

Edited by THUJONE
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, THUJONE said:

My feelings are that the narrative of Sam Ehlinger and the real Sam Ehlinger are two very different things. The narrative is that he's this amazing--and I hate this phrase--"leader of men" who motivated his teammates yada yada. TBH I literally never saw this, other than his play on the field at times, which was nothing to sneeze at. He certainly led by example and laid it all on the line physically. But that's just a person that wants to win. And simply wanting to win does not a leader make. All the players want to win. Leadership is something else.

That said, Sam's hate for Herman was palpable and honestly I think it affected his play. He felt hamstrung by the play calling usually from the second series through the last series of the third quarter. This was the same story every damned game. Only in desperation did the handcuffs come off and that was where Ehlinger shined. But the point of leadership is doing it through adversity. And Sam's demeanor, body language, and play--those things we can glean through the television screen, were in my opinion, always pretty bad in during the second act of each game when the play calling became lackluster. The team fed off of Sam's vibe. There was rarely a game over the last four years--and there were exceptions, sure--where Sam and the offense looked engaged for the duration of the game. Defense: different story. They were always engaged whether or not they were getting shelled. I think it's because they had better leaders even when play calling was hindering them. So it's a good comparison. Orlando was an anchor, but those players continued to play their asses off. Herman was an anchor on the offense and the players often phoned it in. Sam included.

I agree for the most part, but from insider reports and social media activity it looked like his teammates definitely loved him. Not a fan of the narrative that he was alienated from the team.

1 hour ago, crash_davis said:

You have to ask yourself a QB that has been with a Coach for 4yrs

Even tho Sam wasnt Tom’s favorite he always lifted him up to the Media always song praises. Sam on the other hand was always trying to be slick when it came to Tom it started with the injury shit Sam went on his own and said he was hurt Tom kept saying he wasnt. You never undermine your coach and medical staff going rogue like that especially to the press.

1) This is laughable. Herman has thrown the players under the bus multiple times in post-game pressers, and that includes Sam.

2) If a player is hurt, he's going to say he's hurt, especially when it's Sam who's gutted through injury multiple times. Herman is the one undermining Sam by claiming he's healthy - the sources were all but unanimous in saying that Sam was injured during the season.

October 2nd

Sam Ehlinger has been limited all week in practice with a right quadriceps contusion near the knee and also took some damage to his off (left) hand against Texas Tech that has made taking snaps difficult, but Ehlinger will play Saturday against TCU, sources told Horns247. “It’s pretty nasty,” one team source said of Ehlinger's knee. "And his left hand looks like it was slammed in a car door." Initially, there was speculation Ehlinger had a knee sprain (a slight tear of some meniscus). But sources said it was a deep right quadriceps bruise near the knee that swelled up and turned purple. “It’s gonna be a pain tolerance issue for Sam on Saturday,” the source said

October 31

Quarterback Sam Ehlinger was very limited in practice last week with a painful left calf contusion, which has impacted Ehlinger's ability to run and step into throws, a source close to the situation told Horns247.com. Ehlinger played through a quadriceps contusion suffered against Texas Tech that limited him in practice for TCU and OU, sources said. Texas then had an off-week for Ehlinger to heal up, and then he took a helmet to his left calf against Baylor that "severely limited him" in practice last week, the source said. "Sam's playing through a lot of pain," the source said. "It's definitely affected his ability to run and step into throws. But the guy doesn't complain. He's a warrior."

Oh, and friendly reminder that Herman left an injured Keaontay Ingram out on the field against West Virginia, and Ingram scored a TD on a sprained ankle during that drive. In short, "Exlonghornplaya" is a liar feeding the cabal of Sam-haters on this board what they want to hear.

• Hook 'Em 6

To add on to the previous post, this was from November.

Joseph Cook: Everyone is playing through pain at this point, especially Sam Ehlinger

The hits, scrapes, dings, bumps, and bruises for any individual player accumulate as a football season carries on. That was on display for the Texas Longhorns against Oklahoma State when Joseph Ossai, who began the game in a shoulder brace, abandoned the protective measure at some juncture. He may have been feeling some pain but he obviously felt well enough to whip Cowboy offensive linemen on a consistent basis.

Ossai isn’t the only player fighting through pain. The offense is placed on Sam Ehlinger’s shoulders week after week. He does it with his arm and his legs, the latter of which has him leading Texas in rushing attempts. Sacks play into that statistic, which means even more hits on the Texas quarterback. The Longhorn offensive line allows 2.67 sacks per game, a mark that is sixth in the ten-team Big 12 Conference.

Ehlinger takes hits at a very steady rate and those hits have him looking less than 100 percent on the field of late. That isn’t stopping Ehlinger from playing with 100 percent effort. According to Ehlinger, he’s not injured, but hurting, and hurting is no excuse for him to not be on the field.

“Part of being a good football player is being able to play through pain,” Ehlinger said Monday. “That’s just part of it. That’s the way it goes. When you choose football, you choose the most physical sport besides maybe rugby and some other sports. For the most part, the most physical sport. In order to excel at that sport, you have to be able to have a physical toughness to you.” These aren’t injuries, which Ehlinger described as “a structural damage to your body” that can only worsen in playing a game. This is what comes with the territory of playing football.

Ehlinger has been remarkably durable despite the accumulation of hits he’s taken throughout his career. He’s on pace to lead the Longhorns in rushing attempts for the second time in his four-year career. There being a three-way split among Longhorn running backs does contribute to him leading the team in carries, but it serves as more evidence of what he is asked to do and what his body goes through week after week.

Ehlinger recorded a carry 13 times against Oklahoma State and tallied -9 yards. Five Cowboy sacks for a loss of 37 yards obviously plays into that stat line, but it speaks to the number of hits Ehlinger took on the way to Texas’ overtime win. For the fourth-year quarterback, it’s just part of the job. Playing hurt is what he knows, and what he seems to do well.

“Sam’s hurt all the time,” Texas head coach Tom Herman said Tuesday. “This is a guy that plays the game very physically, and he’s going to be banged up, bumps and bruises, body is going to be sore, and he doesn’t mind. That’s the way he plays, he knows that’s the way he plays, and he knows that’s how he’s going to feel on Sundays and Mondays. He’s pretty used to this.”

Of course, others in the Longhorn locker room are experiencing what Ehlinger discussed with the media. Any player who plays not just on Saturdays, but on Saturdays and five other days during practice knows the risks associated with playing football and the physical beating that comes with it. Ehlinger does it while front and center. Others follow his lead. It’s all Texas can ask for from the fourth-year quarterback.

Edited by satyanash

10 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Oh, and friendly reminder that Herman left an injured Keaontay Ingram out on the field against West Virginia, and Ingram scored a TD on a sprained ankle during that drive. In short, "Exlonghornplaya" is a liar feeding the cabal of Sam-haters on this board what they want to hear.

I'm picturing this board's dumbest posters furiously typing in maroon robes.

From Gerry:

Spoiler

IT has learned Texas head coach Steve Sarkisian and Cy Fair running back L.J. Johnson have had their first conversation within the last 24 hours according to a source in the Houston area.

Johnson has graduated from Cy Fair High, and is expected to enroll at either Texas or Texas A&M this month. Stan Drayton being retained has kept Texas in the mix and given Coach Sarkisian an opportunity. Texas has remained in the race vs. trending Texas A&M due to the strong relationships with Drayton, Bryan Carrington and Brandon Harris.

Edited by Machinator
  • Hook 'Em 5

Gerry Hamilton

Gerry Hamilton

ESPN Recruiting Analyst

Staff member
IT has learned Texas head coach Steve Sarkisian and Cy Fair running back L.J. Johnson have had their first conversation within the last 24 hours according to a source in the Houston area.

Johnson has graduated from Cy Fair High, and is expected to enroll at either Texas or Texas A&M this month. Stan Drayton being retained has kept Texas in the mix and given Coach Sarkisian an opportunity. Texas has remained in the race vs. trending Texas A&M due to the strong relationships with Drayton, Bryan Carrington and Brandon Harris.

2 minutes ago, Machinator said:

From Gerry:

Hide contents

I checked out of recruiting after the Tech game because I knew it did't matter at that point.  

Who, aside from LJ are we still hoping for this cycle?, or is there a summary in last 20 pages I could be pointed to?  

I want to get back on the train now that we have a actual coach and our human-bot, Machintor, has returned.

1 minute ago, Babytime said:

I checked out of recruiting after the Tech game because I knew it did't matter at that point.  

Who, aside from LJ are we still hoping for this cycle?, or is there a summary in last 20 pages I could be pointed to?  

I want to get back on the train now that we have a actual coach and our human-bot, Machintor, has returned.

Unfortunately, I checked out at the very same time. My assumption is LJ or bust, given that our floor is Brooks.

• Hook 'Em 1