Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

10 hours ago, RGBIII said:

After almost being ready to make the decision, Cain stalled one last time and Herman “blew his top” on him in a phone call. From that moment, the decision for Cain to move on and pick Penn State became easy and left a bad taste in the mouth of Cain’s parents.

This is pretty much verbatim what ctj told us over a year ago re: Cain recruitment.

• Hook 'Em 5

73E36AC5-8DA9-452D-9356-3DA5FA25595A.thumb.png.57b7fc8cd125528b351ed570fe181977.png

The kid is extremely talented on both sides of the ball, but with Davis and Helm also in this class (with Davis I see as more of a TE than any other position), I feel like Sanders should be working at Jack

If you look at Davis and Sanders, both being ATH and projecting to TE/Jack, Sanders is the better pass rusher and Davis is the better TE imo.
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Mason Ramsey said:

The kid is extremely talented on both sides of the ball, but with Davis and Helm also in this class (with Davis I see as more of a TE than any other position), I feel like Sanders should be working at Jack

If you look at Davis and Sanders, both being ATH and projecting to TE/Jack, Sanders is the better pass rusher and Davis is the better TE imo.

Sanders may love offense but being a top 5 rush end pays a lot more than a top 5 TE

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, totallynotabuttpirate said:

I've been out of the game since OU, what's the word on LJ? 

According to TFB, it's between aggies and Texas. Supposedly it's a "head vs heart" struggle for him. He loves Texas but recent aggy success has him thinking them. I believe Gerry said he thinks we may have a slight lead. He was supposed to enroll in January but will sign in February.

tldr: Basically no one knows shit except it's down to us 2.

• Hook 'Em 2

IT Recruiting Matters: L.J., C.J. and 2022 nuggets

Inside Texas is going to take everyone on a bit of whip around today with nuggets and the latest covering Texas recruiting, a key note in 2022 WR recruiting, a number of nuggets.

Closing time for L.J. Johnson:
From a source in the Houston area, the recruitment of L.J. Johnson is seemingly trending towards the Longhorns since the hire of Steve Sarkisian and the news likely that Alabama offensive line coach Kyle Flood will be joining Sarkisian. Texas and the Cy Fair running back have spoken daily since the hiring of Sarkisian. Those that have spoken with Johnson are Sarkisian and Drayton together on a call, as well as chats with Drayton separate, Bryan Carrington and Brandon Harris. The long standing relationships with Drayton, Carrington and Harris are huge here if the Longhorns win out over Texas A&M. In the days leading up to the dismissal of Tom Herman, Herman had tried to reach out to Johnson, but Johnson never called him back. Texas A&M was trending at that point. Oklahoma continues to try and work their way back into the recruitment following the loss of Camar Wheaton to Alabama, but it doesn't seem likely. In a recruitment that has swung back-and--forth between the Longhorns and Aggies in recent weeks, Texas looks to be trending favorably this week.

Keithron Lee all Texas:
Inside Texas caught up with Keithron Lee this morning. When asked about his commitment to the Longhorns, Lee said …

“It is one-hundred percent.”

Lee has yet to speak with Sarkisian, but has been studying the Alabama offense, and is excited the possibilities for him as a receiver. Lee has maintained contact with Andre Coleman.
  • Hook 'Em 5

14 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:
IT Recruiting Matters: L.J., C.J. and 2022 nuggets

Inside Texas is going to take everyone on a bit of whip around today with nuggets and the latest covering Texas recruiting, a key note in 2022 WR recruiting, a number of nuggets.

Closing time for L.J. Johnson:
From a source in the Houston area, the recruitment of L.J. Johnson is seemingly trending towards the Longhorns since the hire of Steve Sarkisian and the news likely that Alabama offensive line coach Kyle Flood will be joining Sarkisian. Texas and the Cy Fair running back have spoken daily since the hiring of Sarkisian. Those that have spoken with Johnson are Sarkisian and Drayton together on a call, as well as chats with Drayton separate, Bryan Carrington and Brandon Harris. The long standing relationships with Drayton, Carrington and Harris are huge here if the Longhorns win out over Texas A&M. In the days leading up to the dismissal of Tom Herman, Herman had tried to reach out to Johnson, but Johnson never called him back. Texas A&M was trending at that point. Oklahoma continues to try and work their way back into the recruitment following the loss of Camar Wheaton to Alabama, but it doesn't seem likely. In a recruitment that has swung back-and--forth between the Longhorns and Aggies in recent weeks, Texas looks to be trending favorably this week.

Keithron Lee all Texas:
Inside Texas caught up with Keithron Lee this morning. When asked about his commitment to the Longhorns, Lee said …

“It is one-hundred percent.”

Lee has yet to speak with Sarkisian, but has been studying the Alabama offense, and is excited the possibilities for him as a receiver. Lee has maintained contact with Andre Coleman.

Love hearing Carrington and Harris involved. Coleman is just being a pro, I guess.

• Hook 'Em 2

17 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

In the days leading up to the dismissal of Tom Herman, Herman had tried to reach out to Johnson, but Johnson never called him back. Texas A&M was trending at that point. 

And this is why the outrage from the national media, i.e. Joey Galloway is completely stupid.  Giving Herman more time to turn it around was never really an option.  I'll take a 1-2 day hit in the headlines all day long for not being fair or giving him enough time to turn things around.  Things would only have gotten worse by retaining him, as you all know.  But seeing the above is still pretty shocking tbh.

• Hook 'Em 1

35 minutes ago, JPETERMAN said:

And this is why the outrage from the national media, i.e. Joey Galloway is completely stupid.  Giving Herman more time to turn it around was never really an option.  I'll take a 1-2 day hit in the headlines all day long for not being fair or giving him enough time to turn things around.  Things would only have gotten worse by retaining him, as you all know.  But seeing the above is still pretty shocking tbh.

I haven’t paid attention. Has there been some sort of media blowback about Herman? What’s the Galloway story?

7 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

What’s the Galloway story?

https://247sports.com/Article/Texas-Longhorns-recruiting-Steve-Sarkisian-Tom-Herman-Joey-Galloway-develop-players-158571007/

"The question is when you say recruiting, and it makes me wonder how attractive this Texas job is," Galloway said this week. "Since Mack Brown was there they've been in a struggle. Charlie Strong only got three seasons to get it done; then you got Tom Herman gets four seasons to get it done. When you're talking college football, and it takes time to recruit, within three years you have to hit home runs right now, young guys that can come in and play. They're not giving people a chance to develop players.

"It's like college football, not just a Texas, but everywhere is trending in that direction where you got three or four years to get it done. It takes longer than that when you're a program like Texas that has struggled for years. It takes longer to flip that roster."

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I haven’t paid attention. Has there been some sort of media blowback about Herman? What’s the Galloway story?

When news broke that Herman was getting canned Saturday, Galloway was the most outspoken that I saw on the halftime shows etc. with his initial take about how you have to give coaches time for them to win because they need a chance to get their players in place, blah blah blah.  Said Texas was impatient because we only gave Herman 4 years, after only giving Strong 3.  It just isn't fair to them.  Basically implied we should have kept Mack Brown and we just  have unrealistic expectations.  That kind of crap.

Thanks. Yeah, I’m of the opinion that, in today’s CFB world, if you’re haven’t gotten it done by year 3, you’re not going to get it done. Might be some exceptions, but I’ll stick with that premise. National guys can talk to people around a program and get a feel. Either Galloway didn’t do his homework before that rant or he didn’t want what he knew getting in the way of a good rundown. Another year of Herman and we’re looking at a two class average of probably 50-ish. 

When I first heard it, it sounded like he was more upset about Strong (real dumb). I think he kept trying to lower the number of years Strong actually got. Look objectively at the situation when either were fired, and it is abundantly clear they both had to go to avoid desert wandering for years longer.

Edited by KYHorn

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Thanks. Yeah, I’m of the opinion that, in today’s CFB world, if you’re haven’t gotten it done by year 3, you’re not going to get it done. Might be some exceptions, but I’ll stick with that premise. National guys can talk to people around a program and get a feel. Either Galloway didn’t do his homework before that rant or he didn’t want what he knew getting in the way of a good rundown. Another year of Herman and we’re looking at a two class average of probably 50-ish. 

It felt like was told to be the bad cop so there'd be a "debate" with him and Jesse Palmer.

• Like 1

The narrative/insinuation of national media types that Charlie Strong wasn't given enough time is fucking infuriating.  He was the worst coach IN THE HISTORY OF TEXAS FOOTBALL.  

He wasn't on the brink of being better or developing anyone. He was even worse in year 3 than he was in year 1.

GTFOH

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Tylerocks said:

The narrative/insinuation of national media types that Charlie Strong wasn't given enough time is fucking infuriating.  He was the worst coach IN THE HISTORY OF TEXAS FOOTBALL.  

He wasn't on the brink of being better or developing anyone. He was even worse in year 3 than he was in year 1.

GTFOH

They clearly didn't watch any of our games under Strong.  

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

He is apparently under the impression that a coach only deserves to be fired if the roster is devoid of talent. Galloway was also recruited in a time where high school prospects didn't develop Twitter induced hive-mind which would have destroyed any of Herman's subsequent classes.

2 minutes ago, Tylerocks said:

GTFOH

Hell  South Florida even realized he had to go after 3 years.    Nice guy.  WAY over his head.   Galloway clearly has no feel for it and is just talking off the top of his head.  Still annoying.

• Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, JPETERMAN said:

When news broke that Herman was getting canned Saturday, Galloway was the most outspoken that I saw on the halftime shows etc. with his initial take about how you have to give coaches time for them to win because they need a chance to get their players in place, blah blah blah.  Said Texas was impatient because we only gave Herman 4 years, after only giving Strong 3.  It just isn't fair to them.  Basically implied we should have kept Mack Brown and we just  have unrealistic expectations.  That kind of crap.

I've heard the same argument from Ohio State fans. But if you ask them if their team continued to lose to their rivals if they would keep their head coach, they pause. No way any top programs would accept such results. It is just blather.

• Hook 'Em 2

12 minutes ago, JPETERMAN said:

The national TV guys don't know as much about one particular school as average guy that reads the recruiting board from his school.

There are probably 50 guys on this board that know more about Texas recruiting than Galloway,  Herbie or any of the ESPN talking heads.