Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

2 minutes ago, TexasFan21 said:

With Banks coming, he was the lead recruiter for Wheaton. Curious to see if that pushes him to OU or we get him unexpectedly.

Much better chance of Wheaton decommitting if Banks was his position coach or something like that. Don't think there's any real reason to believe he and Banks were especially close (aside from Banks apparently being his main contact with the Bama coaching staff).

3 minutes ago, TexasFan21 said:

With Banks coming, he was the lead recruiter for Wheaton. Curious to see if that pushes him to OU or we get him unexpectedly.

which fits with Sark's scheme better? Wheaton or LJ? I certainly think Wheaton would fit in better in Austin than Tuscaloosa 

Sounds like Urban's staff should take place fairly quickly in JAX, so LJ should have all the information he needs regarding if Drayton is staying or leaving in time for him to make an educated decision.  So either A) Drayton stays which seems likely and probably helps us with LJ, or B) he leaves which probably means we lose LJ, but then use Banks to go hard after flipping Wheaton. 

I wrote earlier that losing Drayton might be a win/win long term for all parties involved.  I think we could probably find a better recruiter at the RB Coach position, but given we have Banks, that isn't as high of a priority as it was previously.  Plus, Carrington won't have to carry the load for recruiting 4 position groups anymore, he can probably be more effective on specific targets where necessary.   I'm kind of still indifferent either way, but I guess leaning towards hoping Drayton stays since Bijan seems to really like him and he does appear to be regarded as a quality coach on the field.  Recruiting will be much easier going forward with this staff and hopefully improved on field results as well.  

35 minutes ago, JPETERMAN said:

Sounds like Urban's staff should take place fairly quickly in JAX, so LJ should have all the information he needs regarding if Drayton is staying or leaving in time for him to make an educated decision.  So either A) Drayton stays which seems likely and probably helps us with LJ, or B) he leaves which probably means we lose LJ, but then use Banks to go hard after flipping Wheaton. 

I wrote earlier that losing Drayton might be a win/win long term for all parties involved.  I think we could probably find a better recruiter at the RB Coach position, but given we have Banks, that isn't as high of a priority as it was previously.  Plus, Carrington won't have to carry the load for recruiting 4 position groups anymore, he can probably be more effective on specific targets where necessary.   I'm kind of still indifferent either way, but I guess leaning towards hoping Drayton stays since Bijan seems to really like him and he does appear to be regarded as a quality coach on the field.  Recruiting will be much easier going forward with this staff and hopefully improved on field results as well.  

Drayton is staying unless he's offered a metric fuckton of money

It sounds like it's been a head vs heart thing plus the fact that he supposedly has some of his inner network pushing aggy.  But we have a new coach that has proven he can utilize a rb correctly, and we kept Drayton whom he likes, and LJ and Bijan are apparently close.  It seems like we should have the momentum.  He had every reason to pick a&m up until this point, but hasn't.  I think this ends in our favor hopefully.  We'll see.   

57 minutes ago, Bruh Man said:

Wells says Wheaton has comparable burst/speed to Jamaal Charles....

LOL.  No.

Charles ran a 10.18 100 meters, a time that would have placed him second in the 100 meters in the 1984 Olympics. He reached 80% of his top speed in 4 steps.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1824572-jamaal-charles-chiefs-rb-wows-with-olympic-speed-athleticism-on-sports-science

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

LOL.  No.

Charles ran a 10.18 100 meters, a time that would have placed him second in the 100 meters in the 1984 Olympics. He reached 80% of his top speed in 4 steps.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1824572-jamaal-charles-chiefs-rb-wows-with-olympic-speed-athleticism-on-sports-science

Comparable and the same are different things. He'd be the fastest top end RB we've had since that's for sure. 

5 minutes ago, Fud said:

That name gets thrown around way too often, and it’s not an apt comparison here 

I’ll never understand why so many Texas people compare RBs to Charles. If anything, we should understand better than others just how unique of a player he was. Almost no one is comparable to him. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, lemonandaturd said:

Brooks is going to get some good run next year when Bijan is gassed.  That will be some next level horror for Grinch and company.  

Brooks will take a year or two to develop himself with the better competition he will see in college vs his level of high school football. If he’s patient I think by the time he’s a RS Sophomore he could be very good in Sarks scheme. 

Edited by BurntOrange&White

9 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Lemon turd strikes again. 

Sark is not Mack.  He is not going to let Brooks stand on the sideline against OU with his helmet under his arm.  When Bijan is gassed, you will see Brooks early and often.  The TxHS football player of the year is not a scrub despite your early misevaluation.     

1 minute ago, lemonandaturd said:

Sark is not Mack.  He is not going to let Brooks stand on the sideline against OU with his helmet under his arm.  When Bijan is gassed, you will see Brooks early and often.  The TxHS football player of the year is not a scrub despite your early misevaluation.     

RoJo is almost certainly going to be a better P5 running back next year and it's weird you don't think that.

• Hook 'Em 5

10 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Someone forgot to take a drink from the lemon turd punch bowl. 

Just because I called you out in the Jonathan Brooks thread for being a clueless dumbass about his natural  3A talent, you have started a vendetta.  Fuck off pussy/cunt.  

Edited by lemonandaturd

Small school.  Whittington was awesome as a QB running it too.  Brooks can be great.  He's got balance and vision.  That is a great skillset.  But what used to be a hole in his games vs small school teams, isn't going to be a hole going forward.   It's not his fault or a sign that he can't figure it out.   It's just going to take time to adjust.