Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

15 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

That's putting it mildly. He nearly died and the chronic pain drove him to alcoholism.

I read the book “The Punch” years ago about this incident. It was unbelievably sympathetic to the other guy. Can’t remember his name and not googling. I want to say it was Kermit Washington. Anyway, it effectively ended the other guy’s career. Of course, it probably should have. Tomjanovich was leaking brain fluid and near death before getting a lucky break with the right doctor at the right hospital. 

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I read the book “The Punch” years ago about this incident. It was unbelievably sympathetic to the other guy. Can’t remember his name and not googling. I want to say it was Kermit Washington. Anyway, it effectively ended the other guy’s career. Of course, it probably should have. Tomjanovich was leaking brain fluid and near death before getting a lucky break with the right doctor at the right hospital. 

I did as well and then you hear about Washington embezzling from his charity in the last couple years I believe and realize how full of shit Feinstein is/was 

His name was indeed Kermit Washington.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kermit_Washington

He's currently doing time in club fed for embezzlement too.

2 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Thoughts on Garfield Lawrence?

http://www.hudl.com/v/2EnwLn

2 hours ago, Viper said:

IT reported Ja'Tavion Sanders is starting out at TE, so taking Lawrence seems like a must

Is he really an edge rusher? Just from his body type, he looks to project more as an interior guy at the next level to me. 

And for fuck's sake, if you're ever making a recruit's highlight film feel free to put the little arrow or circle or whatever you use to identify a player BEFORE the ball is snapped instead midway through the play. No wonder the kid ended up committed to Kansas.

Edited by Mitch Cumsteen
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

TFB

Spoiler

I get the sense that there is a gentleman’s agreement in place between Sark and Saban and that Sark will not try to flip Camar Wheaton.

As of late last week, Sark had not reached out to Wheaton’s camp and, again, my sense is it’s out of respect for Saban.

As you know though, Sark is working to bring LJ Johnson in and I know it seems some have closed the book on Texas a bit. I personally still think Texas is alive in this one.

• Hook 'Em 5

21 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Is he really an edge rusher? Just from his body type, he looks to project more as an interior guy at the next level to me. 

And for fuck's sake, if you're ever making a recruit's highlight film feel free to put the little arrow or circle or whatever you use to identify a player BEFORE the ball is snapped instead midway through the play. No wonder the kid ended up committed to Kansas.

Guys like Hamilton have compared him to Hassan Ridgeway. He's 6-4, 250 right now with a lot of room to add bulk. 

8 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

TFB

Reveal hidden contents

I get the sense that there is a gentleman’s agreement in place between Sark and Saban and that Sark will not try to flip Camar Wheaton.

As of late last week, Sark had not reached out to Wheaton’s camp and, again, my sense is it’s out of respect for Saban.

As you know though, Sark is working to bring LJ Johnson in and I know it seems some have closed the book on Texas a bit. I personally still think Texas is alive in this one.

"Moar clix plz"

27 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

TFB

Hide contents

Purely hypothetically, how would they respond if Wheaton started calling the coaches?  Esp. if LJ committed to the agroids?

Would they still tell him not to call .... ?

3 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Purely hypothetically, how would they respond if Wheaton started calling the coaches?  Esp. if LJ committed to the agroids?

Would they still tell him not to call .... ?

Assuming TFBs speculation has any merit, I think if he is actively trying to reach out to Texas and get away from Bama any agreement goes out the window.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, RGBIII said:

TFB

Hide contents

My first impulse was to neg this lol. His roster is full of Texas star athletes and he just won another title. Saban doesn’t need any help to land Wheaton. It’s one thing to respect saban but no way should you ever give that mother fucker anything. 

Meme Cockroach GIF by MOODMAN

Horns 247 / Mike Roach / Mike at Night: Odds and ends to start the week

Spoiler

Mike at Night: Odds and ends to start the week

MikeRoach

—Texas has been keeping in contact with Tyler Legacy DL Garfield Lawrence. I spoke to a source at Legacy who said a Texas staffer reached out to Lawrence last week. As I mentioned during the season, Lawrence was one of the best prospects I saw on the field in a dominant performance against Mesquite High earlier in the year. The previous staff felt Lawrence was a great player but wasn’t a fit as an edge rusher. If Texas engages, they would probably be the heavy favorite with Houston on him the hardest at the moment and Boston College also in the conversation. He and Mansfield Legacy DE David Abiara are a bit redundant, so an offer to Lawrence would mean Texas is heading in a new direction there.

—I checked with a source near Four-star Parish Episcopal OL Austin Uke today to see where things are headed. As I reported in The Stampede, Uke is starting to boil things down to Stanford, Oklahoma, Texas and Penn State. The source I spoke with said that there isn’t really a school Uke is leaning toward at this point. As he tries to figure out which school is the best fit for him, Kyle Flood and the Texas staff will have an opportunity to pull off a needed win in crunch time at a vital position of need.

—It sounds like any hope Texas has of getting Xavier Worthy is running away. When I originally reported about him a few weeks ago, I talked about how it would take Texas some time and hurdles to do so. Worthy’s biggest issue is that he wanted to be able to enroll early at Michigan, and it sounds like he will be able to do that in the next week. It was always a bit of a longshot, but it sounds like the door is closing now.

• Hook 'Em 2

16 minutes ago, Getafix said:

Meme Cockroach GIF by MOODMAN

Horns 247 / Mike Roach / Mike at Night: Odds and ends to start the week

Hide contents

Mike at Night: Odds and ends to start the week

MikeRoach

—Texas has been keeping in contact with Tyler Legacy DL Garfield Lawrence. I spoke to a source at Legacy who said a Texas staffer reached out to Lawrence last week. As I mentioned during the season, Lawrence was one of the best prospects I saw on the field in a dominant performance against Mesquite High earlier in the year. The previous staff felt Lawrence was a great player but wasn’t a fit as an edge rusher. If Texas engages, they would probably be the heavy favorite with Houston on him the hardest at the moment and Boston College also in the conversation. He and Mansfield Legacy DE David Abiara are a bit redundant, so an offer to Lawrence would mean Texas is heading in a new direction there.

—I checked with a source near Four-star Parish Episcopal OL Austin Uke today to see where things are headed. As I reported in The Stampede, Uke is starting to boil things down to Stanford, Oklahoma, Texas and Penn State. The source I spoke with said that there isn’t really a school Uke is leaning toward at this point. As he tries to figure out which school is the best fit for him, Kyle Flood and the Texas staff will have an opportunity to pull off a needed win in crunch time at a vital position of need.

—It sounds like any hope Texas has of getting Xavier Worthy is running away. When I originally reported about him a few weeks ago, I talked about how it would take Texas some time and hurdles to do so. Worthy’s biggest issue is that he wanted to be able to enroll early at Michigan, and it sounds like he will be able to do that in the next week. It was always a bit of a longshot, but it sounds like the door is closing now.

I guess Mike’s been too busy putting his ear to the streets to check Twitter. Worthy tweeted 4 hours ago that he’s not enrolling early. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

20 hours ago, RGBIII said:

I like Lawrence a lot. Developmental guy with a staff that can actually develop...yes please. If Sanders is at TE, I would take Lawrence and Abiara

8 hours ago, BERT said:

I read this as Lawrence of Arabia. Damn my brain 

Damn you!

Now I am imagining that entire quote in the voices of the main characters of LOA.

• Haha 1

Twinkie titties

Mentioned Xavier Worthy a couple weeks ago as a guy to keep an eye on if he wasn't able to enroll early at Michigan. Looks like he in fact did not enroll this week with the other guys.

A Rivals100 member out of California, Worthy almost flipped to Alabama at the last minute before signing with Michigan in December. There's been speculation that if he was not able to enroll at Michigan in January, he could try to get out of his LOI and re-open his recruitment. If that happens, I'd expect Texas will receive consideration. 

At first it looked yesterday like he was going to enroll, but Worthy tweeted this last night and wasn't included in a video Michigan put out welcoming the early enrollees.

• Hook 'Em 2

37 minutes ago, BornOrange said:

Damn you!

Now I am imagining that entire quote in the voices of the main characters of LOA.

Since I'm less refined, I've got the sounds of Officer Clark from Hollywood Knights singing stuck in my head. "Lawrence, Lawrence of Arabia. He was an English Guy. He came to fight the Turkish."

Damn me!

• Haha 1