Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

2 minutes ago, CHIEF said:

Dude, quit being a fuckstick, that is absolutely not what he meant. For fucks sake.

CHIEF

Then what the fuck else should we infer from that post CHIEF? There are no reports of Sterns being a bad locker room guy. Was his play suspect? Hell yeah. Nothing about him in the locker was said other than he opted out as a team captain, which was said about a lot of the opt-outs.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, USMCHorn said:

Then what the fuck else should we infer from that post CHIEF? There are no reports of Sterns being a bad locker room guy. Was his play suspect? Hell yeah. Nothing about him in the locker was said other than he opted out as a team captain, which was said about a lot of the opt-outs.

What did Sark say about opt out guys, he said let's call them what they are, quitters. You don't opt out as a captain, you are a leader. I agree, you got a free education, you owe it to the school, your fellow teammates, coaches, and fans to finish what you started, I feel the same way about Cosmi. We don't know for certain if he was telling recruits not to come to Texas, but it is certainly possible. He showed such promise as a freshman, looked like a sure first rounder, now, he is a projected third rounder. Who do you think he blamed for not developing him? Is he right to blame them? Yes. Do you think it may have caused him to have some animosity towards Texas and the coaching staff? Absolutely.

CHIEF

• Hook 'Em 7

9 hours ago, Lonestar88 said:

In the games I saw, he played a decent amount. Not as much as offense but enough to know he was beast on defense too. 247 has his junior year defensive stats as 39 tackles and 11 sacks. I don’t know if that’s accurate either but it sounds a lot closer to reality than what’s on Max preps. It’s pretty hard to find accurate high school defensive stats online.

This was the pick 6 his senior year btw. Ironically posted by Max Preps.

[Surly]Needs to work on ball security.[/surly]

6 hours ago, Sgt. Slaughter said:

Even if he was, can you blame him? Most of us probably share a similar viewpoint on Herman and the way he ran the program.

Yes I can. You can be disgruntled, but sharing that with recruits is shitty, and bad for your teammates.

(I have no idea if Sterns was one of the guys dissing UT to recruits by the way, though I did hear he wasn't a stellar influence on team focus/morale - anyway he's gone now, so I hope he gets drafted and has a good career)

Edited by texifornia
  • Hook 'Em 4

6 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

I think the fact that he could never be content was what was toxic to the locker room. Everyone had an opinion. At some point, people have to shut the fuck up or leave. 

He's one of those "energy taker" types. Nothing will ever be good enough for him or his opinions so he just drives pessimism and negativity IMO.

• Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I have a close relative that played HS ball for a while with Sterns and stayed in touch with him over the years via visits and texts. I had the benefit of reading some of those texts this past summer and fall. Fuck Caden Sterns for life and I hope he fucking fails at everything his bitchass attempts. He was poison to this program and did as much damage as any player, woke or otherwise, ever. Gary Shaw and Ron Weaver have nothing on Caden Sterns. Fuck him. 

Schitts Creek Comedy GIF by CBC

that's pretty damning.

29 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

For me, it's a toss up between Sterns and Eagles. Neither of them have any business declaring early for the draft. Eagles decision makes LJH's look like a thesis paper. 

Correct me if I’m wrong but I don’t think LJH had a choice. Was gonna get popped for weed

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Sterns is addition by subtraction. I didn't realize he still had advocates here.

He has people who remember his freshman year and recruiting ranking. Using the what have you done for me lately metric when assessing players is the only thing the football board does better than the recruiting board. The only thing.

• Hook 'Em 1

Closer to being on topic: Gerry said this about Eric Gray:

"Also of note from the portal ... People close to Tennessee RB Eric Gray have already attempted to reach out to the Texas staff. Gray wouldn't be coming into Texas to be the featured back, so that is something that could stop Gray and Texas cold. Gray has always had a strong interest in Texas dating back to his high school recruitment."

2 minutes ago, Machinator said:

"Also of note from the portal ... People close to Tennessee RB Eric Gray have already attempted to reach out to the Texas staff. Gray wouldn't be coming into Texas to be the featured back, so that is something that could stop Gray and Texas cold. Gray has always had a strong interest in Texas dating back to his high school recruitment."

Is Gray better than Rojo? If so, you gotta try and bring him in

2 minutes ago, Machinator said:

For all of the backs Alabama has had over the last 10 years, they typically feature one at a time. Gray being 2019 would put him behind Bijan in that regard, unless you used him like Whittington, which Gray's skillset would allow

5 minutes ago, Thiefery said:

Sounds like even being the primary backup might be an issue. Gerry's follow-up:

"Guess the best way I can put it is ... he rushed for 775'ish yards at Tennessee and had 1,000 all-purpose yards as the featured back. Would he be willing to go from that to battling it out to be the No. 2 back at Texas? Could be a hang up if Texas decided they wanted him."

16 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

He has people who remember his freshman year and recruiting ranking. Using the what have you done for me lately metric when assessing players is the only thing the football board does better than the recruiting board. The only thing.

Football board does a better job of not bumping dumbass threads for 1 tweet. So get fucked idiot.

3 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

Football board does a better job of not bumping dumbass threads for 1 tweet. So get fucked idiot.

Gosh, I'm sorry that following Texas football recruiting gives you such anxiety. It sounds to me like you should toddle on back to the football board and doom post with the rest of the malcontents. Always appreciate your visits, we'd love to have you back when you get that sandy furburger under control.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

Gray is a good player, but at this point, I'm perfectly content winning or losing with LJ, and then just going all in on the 2022 backs regardless. Save the scholarships unless it's a true need position that will give a noticeable upgrade to what is on campus, and let this fucking staff start earning their money on the trail. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Wherever Gray ends up, he’ll probably thrive. I made the mistake of watching a few of their games over the past two years, and the combination of Jim Cheney, an overrated o line coupled with poor coaching by Will Friend, and terrible QB play from Guarantano did him in. I can’t believe Haynes King almost committed there.

58 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I have a close relative that played HS ball for a while with Sterns and stayed in touch with him over the years via visits and texts. I had the benefit of reading some of those texts this past summer and fall. Fuck Caden Sterns for life and I hope he fucking fails at everything his bitchass attempts. He was poison to this program and did as much damage as any player, woke or otherwise, ever. Gary Shaw and Ron Weaver have nothing on Caden Sterns. Fuck him. 

Man, you have tentacles everywhere gathering info. 

What I heard about him in High school besides being dinged up a lot was that he had to be talked out of kneeling when the original Kaep stuff started, so that side of him for better or worse has always been there. 

Sterns is addition by subtraction. I didn't realize he still had advocates here.
Maybe the biggest play of the year. 3rd and 8 for TCU. We get the ball back I'm confident we win. Let em get 20, 40, 60 who cares. Never let em get 8.5. Sterns with the tackle at 8.5 yards. First down. Game over. It wasn't about size or speed. It was about want to, instincts and understanding of the game. Maybe the comments above explain a little something.

7 minutes ago, Had Enough said:
1 hour ago, Machinator said:

Maybe the biggest play of the year. 3rd and 8 for TCU. We get the ball back I'm confident we win. Let em get 20, 40, 60 who cares. Never let em get 8.5. Sterns with the tackle at 8.5 yards. First down. Game over. It wasn't about size or speed. It was about want to, instincts and understanding of the game. Maybe the comments above explain a little something.

Yeah well, 3rd and 17 can quickly become 6 for him as well.

Edited by IDIOTsavant

1 hour ago, Thiefery said:

I think we have six spots left for signees and incoming transfers combined. That shrinks to five if they let Ibraheem sign, and then to four if LJ picks Texas. Then two if they take Lawrence of Abiara. Then one if they take Uke. Is RB depth what you potentially want to use your last spot on? 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, texifornia said:

Yes I can. You can be disgruntled, but sharing that with recruits is shitty, and bad for your teammates.

(I have no idea if Sterns was one of the guys dissing UT to recruits by the way, though I did hear he wasn't a stellar influence on team focus/morale - anyway he's gone now, so I hope he gets drafted and has a good career)

I get it, I get it. I just feel like we hold these kids to a higher standard than they probably deserve. I guess I’m seeing it in the scenario of me not liking my job and a friend asks me if he should take a job offer there. Me dissuading him is me trying to protect his best interests based upon my experience, but I guess if I went on to contact all the possible new hires is a different story.

Moral of the story, I agree with you depending on the scope of the conversation.

Edited by Sgt. Slaughter
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Fud said:

I think we have six spots left for signees and incoming transfers combined. That shrinks to five if they let Ibraheem sign, and then to four if LJ picks Texas. Then two if they take Lawrence of Abiara. Then one if they take Uke. Is RB depth what you potentially want to use your last spot on? 

I'd imagine the Gray transfer/LJ signing would be an either/or thing?

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Fud said:

No, Texas needs a GT OT. Karic, Kerstetter, Jones, and Okafor need help.

I've thought all along that Sanders would end up at DE, but after watching him in person last week he doesn't possess natural pass rushing skills and I think would take significant time to make an impact on D. On the other hand he appears to be an above average route runner (especially for his size), is a matchup nightmare, has great hands and is extremely hard to bring down after the catch. From what I saw Ryan lined him up exclusively at outside WR so I assume he'll need a lot of work to develop his blocking, but he would make an immediate impact as a flex TE.

Edited by elguapo

12 minutes ago, Sgt. Slaughter said:

I get it, I get it. I just feel like we hold these kids to a higher standard than they probably deserve. I guess I’m seeing it in the scenario of me not liking my job and a friend asks me if he should take a job offer there. Me dissuading him is me trying to protect his best interests based upon my experience, but I guess if I went on to contact all the possible new hires is a different story.

Moral of the story, I agree with you depending on the scope of the conversation.

Your illustration makes more sense if you, as the employee working at the company, were a whiny cocksucker that didn't pull his own weight, was constantly a victim of some outside forces for your own failure, and consistently stole everyone's else's lunches out of the break room fridge. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

Your illustration makes more sense if you, as the employee working at the company, were a whiny cocksucker that didn't pull his own weight, was constantly a victim of some outside forces for your own failure, and consistently stole everyone's else's lunches out of the break room fridge. 

Or you’re your own boss and are so riddled with self-hate because every time you look in the mirror you see remnants of your father who left you to pursue his dreams as a Vegas show girl.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Sgt. Slaughter said:

Or you’re your own boss and are so riddled with self-hate because every time you look in the mirror you see remnants of your father who left you to pursue his dreams as a Vegas show girl.

I'm not going to lie, I have no idea what your post means but I enjoyed the shit out of it. I hope your father isn't Elizabeth Berkley. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I'm not going to lie, I have no idea what your post means but I enjoyed the shit out of it. I hope your father isn't Elizabeth Berkley. 

Hopefully his father doesn't actually fuck like a spastic fish.

Edited by Bevo14

Texas looks really good with Abiara and Lawrence both. Lawrence does NOT have meaningful off-field issues, so my bad. They allegedly will take both if both will come. I continue to think these guys are JAGs, but other folks paid to cover the sport think highly of both.

Texas is also in pretty good shape with Uke and would take him.

They're going to take a TB in 2021 if they can. 

Savell Smalls, whenever he comes up if he hasn't already, is more of a JAG than his rating implies, supposedly. I didn't follow his performance at UW. 

No one is bullish on Gray who follows this stuff. 

They'll put the work in on the portal, but they want high impact guys or it isn't worth it. 

This is all being piecemealed, since the staff hasn't been able to come together and even form consensus opinions on guys or numbers yet. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

Gerry's (non)-update on Uke:

*The Texas staff continues to have communication with Parish Episcopal 2021 OT/G Austin Uke. Texas joins Stanford, Oklahoma, Penn State, Northwestern and Florida State as the main schools in contention. Uke does not appear to be in a rush to make a commitment, which is good new for the Longhorns staff. Steve Sarkisian and Kyle Flood are heavily involved in Uke's recruitment.