Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

41 minutes ago, satyanash said:

D-line class was always going to look depressing once Turner, Smith, and Jackson chose A&M, blOU, and LSU respectively. At least it's not as bad as the O-line list.

This right here is the grandmaster at work. 

Not his Yojimbo, but still a fine example of the form.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 5

40 minutes ago, canadianhorn21 said:

EJ update on Worthy

Reveal hidden contents

Hey guys, just to drop in. Xavier told his fellow commits that he was going to land in Michigan today and has now gone dark on them. He tweeted what Jason posted, took a SnapChat of himself at an airport this morning then dropped an Instagram pin indicating that he was still at home. He plays more games than any other recruit I've ever covered.

It's Bru McCoy 2.0

Banks roll into Fresno with a duffel bag and a ticket to AUS yesterday?

58 minutes ago, satyanash said:

D-line class was always going to look depressing once Turner, Smith, and Jackson chose A&M, blOU, and LSU respectively. At least it's not as bad as the O-line list.

Yeah. I bet this O-line class has you like:

spacer.png

Edited by Bevo14
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, satyanash said:

Such terrible results for the NSD1 2021 Class  plus no momentum for recruiting in the 2022 Class, THANK GOD MENSA GOT FIRED!!

So glad that SARK will be the first Head Coach of TEXAS in the new facilities !!!  🤘

• Hook 'Em 1

Mike at Night: 2021 and general stuff

Spoiler

— So far, the feedback I've heard from coaches on the potential staff has been really strong. I asked about Joseph in particular with a few Dallas coaches, and I was told he's got an easygoing but magnetic personality. He can fit in just about anywhere he recruits and he's got a great reputation as a coach. One person I spoke with said he asked around about Joseph and heard nothing but good things about his coaching and development ability.

— Nick Harris spoke with a source near four-star running back LJ Johnson tonight.  As we reported earlier today, multiple sources expect Johnson to take a student visit to Texas later this week.  While the source Nick spoke with didn't have any specifics on that, he did tell us that he expects Johnson to push this decision all the way until signing day.  This source said that nothing has been decided and Texas is still very much in play.

— I also asked some coaches I know about Pete Kwiatkowski. One source I spoke with applauded the hire and said this was the type of mood Texas needed to make rather than waiting for Saban to move on from Pete Golding. Kwiatkoski has a fantastic reputation with just about everyone in the business. One high school coach I spoke with was impressed with how well Sarkisian has done pulling this staff together on somewhat short notice.

— The Longhorns offered Tyler Legacy defensive end Garfield Lawrence today.  As I wrote about last night, I think an offer from Texas would change things in that recruitment.  In talking to a source near Lawrence, Texas should be considered an immediate favorite.  I've entered a 247Sports Crystal Ball pick for Texas.  I also reported that an offer for Lawrence could mean Texas would go in a different direction from Mansfield Legacy defensive end David Abiara.  Texas has also re-offered Abiara meaning they are all in on finding defensive line possibilities.  My thought was that Abiara and Lawrence are a bit redundant, but the staff doesn't see things that way.

— In monitoring any last minute offers that could go out, I've heard that Gilbert (AZ.) Highland outside linebacker Ammon Allen is a name to watch.  One of the best unsigned prospects left out west, Allen is a guy Texas has been evaluating for a while.  Though he's somewhat of a tweener between safety and linebacker and still a bit of a project, Allen's film shows great potential for him to grow into a strong linebacker prospect.

• Hook 'Em 3

7 hours ago, Dummy said:

Hide contents

— So far, the feedback I've heard from coaches on the potential staff has been really strong. I asked about Joseph in particular with a few Dallas coaches, and I was told he's got an easygoing but magnetic personality. He can fit in just about anywhere he recruits and he's got a great reputation as a coach. One person I spoke with said he asked around about Joseph and heard nothing but good things about his coaching and development ability.

— Nick Harris spoke with a source near four-star running back LJ Johnson tonight.  As we reported earlier today, multiple sources expect Johnson to take a student visit to Texas later this week.  While the source Nick spoke with didn't have any specifics on that, he did tell us that he expects Johnson to push this decision all the way until signing day.  This source said that nothing has been decided and Texas is still very much in play.

— I also asked some coaches I know about Pete Kwiatkowski. One source I spoke with applauded the hire and said this was the type of mood Texas needed to make rather than waiting for Saban to move on from Pete Golding. Kwiatkoski has a fantastic reputation with just about everyone in the business. One high school coach I spoke with was impressed with how well Sarkisian has done pulling this staff together on somewhat short notice.

— The Longhorns offered Tyler Legacy defensive end Garfield Lawrence today.  As I wrote about last night, I think an offer from Texas would change things in that recruitment.  In talking to a source near Lawrence, Texas should be considered an immediate favorite.  I've entered a 247Sports Crystal Ball pick for Texas.  I also reported that an offer for Lawrence could mean Texas would go in a different direction from Mansfield Legacy defensive end David Abiara.  Texas has also re-offered Abiara meaning they are all in on finding defensive line possibilities.  My thought was that Abiara and Lawrence are a bit redundant, but the staff doesn't see things that way.

— In monitoring any last minute offers that could go out, I've heard that Gilbert (AZ.) Highland outside linebacker Ammon Allen is a name to watch.  One of the best unsigned prospects left out west, Allen is a guy Texas has been evaluating for a while.  Though he's somewhat of a tweener between safety and linebacker and still a bit of a project, Allen's film shows great potential for him to grow into a strong linebacker prospect.

https://247sports.com/player/ammon-allen-46100744/

• Like 1

1 minute ago, USMCHorn said:

Yup. We basically signed a legit 5* TE. 

you know i came into this expecting that he would mostly be a defensive player, but as far as i can tell he basically played no defense his senior year - and his jr yyear if we are honest. maxpreps lists him as having 14 total tackles last year and 12 total tackles this year vs 54 as a soph.

really interesting all the way around, he must have played almost all of his snaps on offense (60 something catches there vs 14 tackles on defense)

doesn't appear to have been recruited as an offensive player at Texas his 247 listed recruiters were primary of Giles, secondary of Ash and was recruited by Karl Scott (P) and Jeff Banks (S) from Bama.

all of that said, he may enjoy playing offense but he would earn significantly more money in the NFL as a DL. top 5 DL makes $$$ vs top 5 TE.

either way glad he is going to be on campus.

11 hours ago, Dummy said:

Hide contents

So if LJ is going to wait until Signing day....then I guess he is no longer enrolling early?  Which obviously would be hard with classes starting this week but anyways....

2 minutes ago, TexasRenegade said:

So if LJ is going to wait until Signing day....then I guess he is no longer enrolling early?  Which obviously would be hard with classes starting this week but anyways....

Nobody knows. Perroni said that both schools might let him in a week later than when enrollment ends or whatever, and some thing if he can't decide he might wait. Or maybe he announces this weekend. 

7 minutes ago, TexasRenegade said:

He's got a couple more 3-hour Jimbo zoom calls to get through first.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Don Hornleone said:

Forgive me for my tardiness to this topic, but how in the hell did Quay Davis “end up” at Kansas. Is there some info I missed out on as to why he went form us to SoCal, to Kansas? Grades? Personality? 

It has been said that he has at least one child already, but I've never seen any other specifics about his supposed myriad "off the field" issues

• Hook 'Em 1

Forgive me for my tardiness to this topic, but how in the hell did Quay Davis “end up” at Kansas. Is there some info I missed out on as to why he went form us to SoCal, to Kansas? Grades? Personality? 

He and his family went on the heralded Mark Mangino restaurant tour while on a visit and fell in love with Lawrence. Fupa is undefeated n such.

Edited by Sgt. Slaughter

https://www.surlyhorns.com/board/index.php?/search/&q=Quay Davis&quick=1&type=forums_topic&item=227

1 hour ago, Fud said:

Nobody knows. Perroni said that both schools might let him in a week later than when enrollment ends or whatever, and some thing if he can't decide he might wait. Or maybe he announces this weekend. 

This Friday is the fourth day of class, which is the last day that students can register/pay tuition/enroll in a class without needing a bunch of approvals. 

February 3rd is the last day a student can add a class without rare or extenuating circumstances. 

I'm sure they'll pull whatever strings they can for him but I'd expect that 2/3 is the hard deadline for him to enroll. Would be hilarious if he just comes for a student visit this weekend and never leaves. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Such terrible results for the NSD1 2021 Class  plus no momentum for recruiting in the 2022 Class, THANK GOD MENSA GOT FIRED!!

So glad that SARK will be the first Head Coach of TEXAS in the new facilities !!!  🤘

Do you have some sort of condition where you involuntarily capitalize words?

25 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

This Friday is the fourth day of class, which is the last day that students can register/pay tuition/enroll in a class without needing a bunch of approvals. 

February 3rd is the last day a student can add a class without rare or extenuating circumstances. 

I'm sure they'll pull whatever strings they can for him but I'd expect that 2/3 is the hard deadline for him to enroll. Would be hilarious if he just comes for a student visit this weekend and never leaves. 

Right, but Perroni said that both schools have said that they can pull strings to let him in a little late if they have to 

14 minutes ago, Fud said:

Right, but Perroni said that both schools have said that they can pull strings to let him in a little late if they have to 

I know. I'm just providing context as to what those strings are. I'd bet they can get the dean and registrar to approve him enrolling after Friday but the Feb. 3rd deadline would be tougher. 

11 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

He might immediately be the best edge rusher, too.  That’s more of an indictment of what else we have there,  though, unless Dorbah sat even though he was better than guys in front of him.   I feel better about Wiley at TE next year than anyone we have at Jack / rush end.

This is nonsense. Sanders is a developmental prospect at DE. Obviously has a high ceiling, but he doesn’t even play DE full time in HS. He would absolutely not be our best pass rusher next year. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

This is nonsense. Sanders is a developmental prospect at DE. Obviously has a high ceiling, but he doesn’t even play DE full time in HS. He would absolutely not be our best pass rusher next year. 

Did he play any defense this year? It doesn't show any defensive stats on 247.

22 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

He might immediately be the best edge rusher, too.  That’s more of an indictment of what else we have there,  though, unless Dorbah sat even though he was better than guys in front of him.   I feel better about Wiley at TE next year than anyone we have at Jack / rush end.

he has something like 30 TOTAL tackles in the last 2 years of high school.

today, he isn't the best edge rusher in his class much less on the 40.

• Hook 'Em 1