Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

Mike Roach: 2021 DE Shemar Turner recaps Texas visit

Shemar Turner is up to over 30 offers. The four-star prospect from DeSoto picked up a pair of new offers recently, and he’s hearing from an impressive list of programs. “Today I got Michigan and Georgia,” he said. “I’m hearing the most from Georgia, Florida, Texas, TCU, and Texas A&M.”

Turner was in Austin last weekend to visit the Longhorns. He spent some time with new Texas defensive coordinator Chris Ash who pitched Turner on playing the role of a former Ohio State great that Ash coached.  “It was good,” he said. “I got to meet the new DC. Coach Ash is a great coach. He said he’s going to play me like Nick Bosa. It’s going to be pretty easy coming in and working it out.”

Turner feels the switch to a new defense will benefit his skill. Turner feels that he can make an impact as an edge rusher. “This year they’re going to be a 4-3,” he said. “They are going to have someone coming off the edge like LSU do until they get some defensive ends.”

Turner has a strong bond with Texas defensive line coach Oscar Giles. The two have been talking for a long time, and Turner is glad that Giles is still in Austin recruiting him.  “We’ve got a good relationship,” he said. “He’s been building a relationship with me for a long time.”

Next up for Turner is a big slate of spring visits. He plans to visit Tuscaloosa this weekend. “I’ll be at Alabama Saturday,” he said. “It will be a great time talking to coach (Nick) Saban and some of the other guys.” At 6-foot-3.5, 260 pounds, Turner is ranked as the No. 15 strong-side defensive end in the country and No. 35 overall prospect in Texas, according to 247Sports Composite.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, satyanash said:

This year they’re going to be a 4-3,” he said. “They are going to have someone coming off the edge like LSU do until they get some defensive ends.”

Definitely sounds like the plan is to use guys like Ossai and Dorbah as a stand up edge, until they can recruit to a true 4-3. I like the idea. Both those guys need to play edge, but will also probably benefit from not having to play hand in the dirt every snap. 

Also a decent sign that Ash is willing to adjust to the skills of his personnel, unlike his predecessor. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

Would you say Lake is feeling a bit drained today?

I'll see myself out

Drained out by a pipeline from Atascocita to Austin! 

Wonder how much Jay Boulware's evaluation contributed to this offer. I keep forgetting that he last formally coached TEs in 2012 when he was at Auburn, but having been at OU sucks, he should recognize what a good TE looks like.