Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

4 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

So I've seen this thing about Milroe not caring about being in a 2 QB class, but wasn't the reason that we got him because Alabama took another QB right before he was about to commit? 

In 2 QB classes, there is usually a QB1/QB2 dynamic. He's not interested in being a QB2 take, but is open to being a QB1 with a backup also in his class.

It's all semantics, but it's not really the same.

1 hour ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

IT Scoop - 21 relevant

Hide contents

JALEN MILROE

Last week Texas offered two new quarterbacks in the 2021 class - Sawyer Robertson and Garrett Nussmeier. Of course the natural inclination for this tired and beaten down fan base is to assume the worst with class leader Jalen Milroe. Factual, albeit half-reporting elsewhere doesn't help the situation and anything that isn't 100 percent rainbows has people biting their fingernails like corn on the cob.

Here's what you need to know in one succinct sentence: If Tom Herman and Mike Yurcich are honest with the Milroes on their intentions at the position, everything will be perfectly fine and he'll recruit his ass off.

It has always been the case that he's not afraid of being in a two quarterback class, just like Hudson Card wasn't afraid of being in a two quarterback class. As long as the staff is up front and open with him, he's good.

Nobody wanted a second quarterback in the class until Mike Yurcich was hired. There are plausible reasons for him wanting a second arm. If however, he's just not a fan of Milroe’s game or fit, the Milroes want to hear that. They like Texas the school and think the program is going to get back to contending in a big way, but they'll be alright if they need to look elsewhere. If Yuricich is looking for "his guy" they need to be told plainly because Milroe is QB1 worthy all day long and other schools are recruiting him as such.

As of now the family is operating on the assumption that Jalen is going to Texas. There is no shortage of interest in him, with OU, LSU, USC, Florida, and others trying to pry him loose. Despite the outward appearance to some that Texas taking two quarterbacks makes it easier to drive a wedge between he and Texas, he is going to stay committed as long as Texas keeps him in the loop about its intentions and truly covets him.

By the time Milroe arrives in Austin, the depth chart will look a whole lot different than it projects right now. Yurcich seems to understand that.

On Jordon Thomas... the 2022 PA Memorial four-star DE had a wonderful return to Austin, meeting the new defensive coaches. Coming off an injury-riddled junior season, Thomas is back to health and preparing for track and field. But first, about that weekend visit....

“Man, it was all family and love ,” said Thomas. "I got to meet the new DC, Coach Ash. He's a really cool guy and straightforward."

The overall vibe is what really stood out for the Golden Triangle manimal.

"The family stuff they do, the vibes and caring, and they always do the little things for you," Thomas explained about his experience on Saturday.

"They want me to be a hybrid (DE, OLB)," said Thomas. "That really got my attention and it’s going to be a lot of fun."

Texas A&M, LSU, and Auburn are pushing. But so is Texas. This one has a ways to go, but keeping Thomas a priority is the key to this recruitment.

I have a really hard time believing the QB2 offers are anything other than Yurcich looking at the QB room and knowing that our 2018 QB take is a transfer risk and/or just may not be that great, our 2019 QB take is probably a RB from here on out, and by the end of 2021, only one of our two QB takes will likely stay at QB, so he wants more depth. 

It wouldn’t make much sense for Yurcich to think Milroe’s not a good fit considering his leadership, pocket presence, skill as a runner, and ability to throw the drop ball. Yurcich has run a ton of ZR and loves hitting that outside WR on a deep post when running Mills, which are two things Milroe excels at. Plus, if he’s really thinks Milroe ain’t the guy, those first two offers would be pretty underwhelming. Both of our offers profile a lot more as QB2 takes than a replacement for QB1. 

I’ve noticed that Dorbah also made a comment about Ash saying might be some type of DE/LB hybrid. It’s always hard to tell if a recruit is communicating their scheme/position accurately to a reporter, but this two guys in a row mentioning that. I haven’t watched much Rutgers, but Ash usually used a straight up 4 man line as a DC. It would be an interesting wrinkle that we haven’t sent before form an Ash defense if he has one edge be more of a 3-4 OLB type. Both of our best potential edge rushers currently on campus (Ossai and Dorbah), profile more as an OLB than a DE, so it might be a good way to utilize them. I’m sure the board has PTSD reading that, but anyone with a modicum of intelligence (ie not Orlando) could use them as OLBs that are still primary edge rushers and operate as a 4 man front even if they don’t have their hand in the ground. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I have a really hard time believing the QB2 offers are anything other than Yurcich looking at the QB room and knowing that our 2018 QB take is a transfer risk and/or just may not be that great, our 2019 QB take is probably a RB from here on out, and by the end of 2021, only one of our two QB takes will likely stay at QB, so he wants more depth. 

It wouldn’t make much sense for Yurcich to think Milroe’s not a good fit considering his leadership, pocket presence, skill as a runner, and ability to throw the drop ball. Yurcich has run a ton of ZR and loves hitting that outside WR on a deep post when running Mills, which are two things Milroe excels at. Plus, if he’s really thinks Milroe ain’t the guy, those first two offers would be pretty underwhelming. Both of our offers profile a lot more as QB2 takes than a replacement for QB1. 

I’ve noticed that Dorbah also made a comment about Ash saying might be some type of DE/LB hybrid. It’s always hard to tell if a recruit is communicating their scheme/position accurately to a reporter, but this two guys in a row mentioning that. I haven’t watched much Rutgers, but Ash usually used a straight up 4 man line as a DC. It would be an interesting wrinkle that we haven’t sent before form an Ash defense if he has one edge be more of a 3-4 OLB type. Both of our best potential edge rushers currently on campus (Ossai and Dorbah), profile more as an OLB than a DE, so it might be a good way to utilize them. I’m sure the board has PTSD reading that, but anyone with a modicum of intelligence (ie not Orlando) could use them as OLBs that are still primary edge rushers and operate as a 4 man front even if they don’t have their hand in the ground. 

wait. are you suggesting a DC that might adjust his scheme to fit personnel and opponents?  

why, that's just ridiculous. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

5 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

It really is.

If what Dorbah and Thomas are saying is correct, it sounds like that might be what’s happening. 

Also, Collins said in an interview he was told that the defensive front will be multiple

31 minutes ago, Fud said:

Also, Collins said in an interview he was told that the defensive front will be multiple

24 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

So did Landon Jackson

Should be interesting. I’m not sure if Ash has done much with multiple fronts at any of his previous stops: Wisconsin, Arky, tOSU, or Rutgers, but I think being able to be more multiple, while still fundamentally sound, is important. Even the 3-8 cloud that ISU abs Baylor used, while pretty close to a one size fits all defense, can really struggle against certain offenses.

In today’s QB world, you need depth. The transfer portal is a bitch. Sam will be gone. Casey Thompson, RoJo, JQJ, or Card will replace him. I would think at least 2 of those 4 will transfer. Plus RoJo might stick at RB if he doesn’t win QB. So Milroe could come in freshman year and only have 2 QBs ahead of him. 

https://twitter.com/CoachPearson_/status/1221936139562471425

https://247sports.com/Player/Xamarion-Gordon-46095008/

Twitter won't load the Tweet on here for some reason, but there's the link

Ash was also at Bishop Alemany, which I noted in the '22 section, but they also have this '21: https://247sports.com/Player/Jaylin-Smith-46093610/

Edited by texifornia
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, rvm96 said:

Herb Hand is definitely not slacking on 2021 Oline recruiting. He has a recently followed on Twitter a new  6'8" 300lb IMG OT that transferred from Serbia. Also, he followed this kid from Florida that is unranked but has several P5 offers. 

https://247sports.com/Player/Michael-McLaughlin-46085449/

It’s called the “My Boss Can’t Land a 5 Star Legacy Because He’s a Massive Prick” maneuver. But unlike past staffs, I’m glad it doesn’t appear Hand will be caught flat footed. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, rvm96 said:

Herb Hand is definitely not slacking on 2021 Oline recruiting. He has a recently followed on Twitter a new  6'8" 300lb IMG OT that transferred from Serbia. Also, he followed this kid from Florida that is unranked but has several P5 offers. 

https://247sports.com/Player/Michael-McLaughlin-46085449/

new market inefficiency is Balkan OLs evidently... 

56 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

It’s called the “My Boss Can’t Land a 5 Star Legacy Because He’s a Massive Prick” maneuver. But unlike past staffs, I’m glad it doesn’t appear Hand will be caught flat footed. 

The last few years checking in on the coaches' follows, I noticed that Hand cycles through prospects on twitter way more than any of the rest of the coaches. Chang, Carrington, et al carry a lot of that load for others, but Hand definitely puts in the work on his own 

Hybrid is fine as long as there is a healthy use of a four man rush. In today’s game I wouldn’t want a constant four man rush with no mixing of looks. It would be too stale and easy to scheme against. I still can’t believe Orlando refused to just call more four man rush sets. It’s ridiculous. He could have saved his job by just doing that one adjustment. Or by putting the de’s on the outside shoulder of the OT’s and funneling the play inside more often.

On 1/26/2020 at 4:55 PM, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

"me never"  should be member i.e. family member.  Probably a voice recognition issue. I do stuff like this all the time.  

Late to the party but he was probably using Swype or an equivalent and not voice recognition. If you swipe too low onto the spacebar it starts a new word. So when he went to the second m in member he went over the spacebar. It interpreted "me" as the first word and his motion of roughly "mber" was interpreted as "never." 

The more you know. 

Signed, 

A Swype user

• Like 2

3 hours ago, NoName said:

new market inefficiency is Balkan OLs evidently... 

Big tall white dudes from Balkans make for good C and PFs in basketball, so not a bad idea to test out that athleticism on the gridiron. Hand starting a new pipeline to Belgrade? 

Edited by PHLaggie
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Mac8111 said:

What’s the Straight Line Recruiting hashtag mean? The couch at our high school uses that as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Recruiting through hs coaches instead of trainers. Thsca made it up

Edited by utfan87
  • Like 2