Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

9 hours ago, texifornia said:

Yeah that's strange. You'd assume it'd have to be cleared w Milroe too (given his round of "all is well" interviews after meeting Yurcich and going to Elite Day I'm not worried about that)

1. It speaks volumes about what they think Casey will do after the spring. 
  2. Ewers could (will probably) end up a national top 10 guy which would mean probably just 1 QB in '22
  3. Loser of Card/JQJ will change positions
  4. 2021 QB depth is Card/JQJ, Milroe, QB2 assuming Casey leaves

12 minutes ago, Bevo14 said:

I like taking 2 almost every year. Keep that position group loaded at all fuckin times.

Taking two ever year to keep the position loaded at all times means a lot of attrition and opportunity cost for other positions. Take two when it makes sense, like when you have a QB moving to running back, and one of your incoming QBs who's already raw in the passing game and wasn't enrolling early tears his ACL and is set back in his passing game development even further. If Texas feels confident about landing Ewers, taking a second QB doesn't make a ton of sense to me, unless Yurcich just doesn't like Milroe's passing ability. So maybe they don't feel overly confident about landing Ewers right now, maybe they aren't sold on Milroe's ability in the passing game, or maybe my assumptions are wrong.

Either way, taking two almost every year is inefficient roster management. 

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Fud said:

Taking two ever year to keep the position loaded at all times means a lot of attrition and opportunity cost for other positions. Take two when it makes sense, like when you have a QB moving to running back, and one of your incoming QBs who's already raw in the passing game and wasn't enrolling early tears his ACL and is set back in his passing game development even further. If Texas feels confident about landing Ewers, taking a second QB doesn't make a ton of sense to me, unless Yurcich just doesn't like Milroe's passing ability. So maybe they don't feel overly confident about landing Ewers right now, maybe they aren't sold on Milroe's ability in the passing game, or maybe my assumptions are wrong.

Either way, taking two almost every year is inefficient roster management. 

It's the one position where the opportunity cost is worth it. QBs transfer all the time even if they were the only take in their class. Most of the QBs Mensa likes have enough athletic ability to play another position anyway. That's why we had a QB that could move to RB and took a raw QB this cycle in the first place. Also, our offense is prime for injuring QBs so you can't afford to not recruit more of them.

Edited by Bevo14

2 minutes ago, Bevo14 said:

It's the one position where the opportunity cost is worth it. QBs transfer all the time even if they were the only take in their class. Most of the QBs Mensa likes have enough athletic ability to play another position anyway. That's why we had a QB that could move to RB and took a raw QB this cycle in the first place.

Yes, it's the most valuable position on the field, but there are diminishing returns and higher transfer rates when you're taking two almost every year instead of something more like a 1-2-1-2 pattern, which can be altered as more data comes in from the current roster. Taking two almost every year as a rule means potentially shorting the rest of the roster. If your QB room is bare for whatever reason, then sure, take two in the upcoming class. Do you have six QBs with two more on the way because you're taking two in every class? Then no, you shouldn't be looking at taking two, and your roster management isn't nearly optimal. 

2 minutes ago, Fud said:

Yes, it's the most valuable position on the field, but there are diminishing returns and higher transfer rates when you're taking two almost every year instead of something more like a 1-2-1-2 pattern, which can be altered as more data comes in from the current roster. Taking two almost every year as a rule means potentially shorting the rest of the roster. If your QB room is bare for whatever reason, then sure, take two in the upcoming class. Do you have six QBs with two more on the way because you're taking two in every class? Then no, you shouldn't be looking at taking two, and your roster management isn't nearly optimal. 

Well yeah, that's why I said "almost every year".  Obviously if a logjam happens you adjust. I think you always want to have 4-5 though. 6 isn't crazy if some of them can play other positions though.

Edited by Bevo14

1 minute ago, Bevo14 said:

Well yeah, that's why I said "almost every year".  Obviously if a logjam happens you adjust. I think you always want to have 4-5 though.

What's almost every year? Four out of five years? 

I think taking two in consecutive years should be done under special circumstances, and it might only make sense in our case here because there's a decent chance the 2018 QBs will both be gone in 2021 (if Card wins the job), with the 2019 QB now playing running back.

Although, ideally the staff feels good about Milroe as a prospect and the chances of landing Ewers

1 minute ago, TBD said:

Carrington in Rockwall...any ideas on who?

Isn't Hullaby's little brother supposed to be a stud?

Edit:  Nvm.  Just looked it up and realized he's from Mansfield.  For whatever reason, I thought he was at rockwall.

Edited by Katfid54

10 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Ok, that's a nice gesture (she's Juan Davis' academic advisor at Everman)

@closetojumping have you seen this?

One thing that's hilarious is that a common psychological study of handwriting suggests that individuals who write solely in capital letters are likely to be narcissists (or at least have narcissistic tendencies).

2 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:
16 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Ok, that's a nice gesture (she's Juan Davis' academic advisor at Everman)

Read more  

One thing that's hilarious is that a common psychological study of handwriting suggests that individuals who write solely in capital letters are likely to be narcissists (or at least have narcissistic tendencies).

There are further psychological analyses of that handwriting that can be performed--e.g., he leaves distinct spaces between the letters he writes, such that none of the letters touch.  That's an indicator of lack of ability to emotionally connect with other people and lack of sense of self or confidence in self.

Edited by Katfid54

13 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

10 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

There are further psychological analyses of that handwriting that can be performed--e.g., he leaves distinct spaces between the letters he writes, such that none of the letters touch.  That's an indicator of lack of ability to emotionally connect with other people and lack of sense of self or confidence in self.

I can’t tell if you’re fucking with me or not, but if what you’re saying is actually true, it’s pretty funny. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, texifornia said:

LSU mod pissing in Herb Hand's Cheerios (or Lucky Charms if he's a sociopath like ctj) this morning

Reveal hidden contents

EPDsdnKW4AEbpNs?format=png&name=360x360EPDseGdWAAAMXcb?format=jpg&name=360x360EPDseptXkAIzYgk?format=jpg&name=360x360EPDsfinWkAEoqda?format=jpg&name=360x360

Winning during a recruit’s senior year doesn’t usually have much impact on the recruitment, but with the volatility of Herman’s future, I think this class will be an exception. Winning at LSU and starting the season at least 4-0 so we’re in the top 10 is likely to be a big boost for the 2021 class. If we beat OU, then even better. Hopefully we can land the core of a solid class this offseason and keep our other priority targets from committing elsewhere until they see how we perform.

I don’t see much middle ground for our 2020 season. I think it’ll either be 10+ wins or things will unravel.