Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

@closetojumping brought up in the other thread landing, anything less than 10 of the top 20 for this class is unacceptable.  Let's take a look how things stand at the moment.  Feel free to chime in.

1)  T. Brockermeyer - still think we land him in the end, but this would be the biggest miss/screwup I think we'll ever witness if it doesn't happen.

2)  Wheaton - seems like this will be a tricky recruitment that could go a lot of different ways.  Are we going to play the game on this one?  Boulware seemed to be the lead recruiter on him for OU.

3)  Byrd - looking good here (supposedly).

4)  L. Jackson - has a Collins feel to it IMO.  Will visit a few more times, $9.95ers will get our hopes up, but the legacy wins out in the end.  Hope I'm wrong.

5)  Sanders - COMMITTED. Absolute stud, may end up 5* in the end.

6)  D. Jackson - was a Texas lean early in the season until we couldn't get out of our own way.  Don't see a flip here.

7)  Stone - nothing to say here.

8 )  Milroe - COMMITTED.  Leader of the class.  

9)  Banks - aggy commit.  Never really showed interest.

10)  Burris - doubtful, although probably in the best spot with him we've been.  Aggy likely.  Hope to be wrong on this.

11)  Foster - would already be a Texas commit if not for the aggy mom.  Aggy mom is the only thing that may keep him from us.  Kid loves Coach Hand and probably knows Henson is a scrub coach.

12)  McCutchin - Bama' commit and mad at Texas because we offered 24 hours late or something

13)  Davis - one time Texas commit and likely to rejoin.

14)  LJ Johnson - I think Texas is in a good spot here. 

15)  Bowman - COMMIT. Bad ass Billy is another big time stud.  Borderline 5* in the end imo.

16)  JoJo - at one point Texas was leader, but didn't have us in a recent top 5.  Need to get back in on this one.

17)  C. Jackson - OU commit.

18)  Fatheree - seems to be higher priorities on the board and seems like a candidate to drop throughout the year.

19)  Clayton Smith -  kid likes Texas, but doesn't appear to much communication with him from the new staff.  Is he a DE or an off the ball LB?

20)  Blackshire - doubt this one happens.

As always, a lot will change in the rankings and this will look a lot different down the line.  Thoughts?

Edited by Elmer_Fudd
  • Like 8

25 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

@closetojumping brought up in the other thread landing, anything less than 10 of the top 20 for this class is unacceptable.  Let's take a look how things stand at the moment.  Feel free to chime in.

1)  T. Brockermeyer - still think we land him in the end, but this would be the biggest miss/screwup I think we'll ever witness if it doesn't happen.

2)  Wheaton - seems like this will be a tricky recruitment that could go a lot of different ways.  Are we going to play the game on this one?  Boulware seemed to be the lead recruiter on him for OU.

3)  Byrd - looking good here (supposedly).

4)  L. Jackson - has a Collins feel to it IMO.  Will visit a few more times, $9.95ers will get our hopes up, but the legacy wins out in the end.  Hope I'm wrong.

5)  Sanders - COMMITTED. Absolute stud, may end up 5* in the end.

6)  D. Jackson - was a Texas lean early in the season until we couldn't get out of our own way.  Don't see a flip here.

7)  Stone - nothing to say here.

8 )  Milroe - COMMITTED.  Leader of the class.  

9)  Banks - aggy commit.  Never really showed interest.

10)  Burris - doubtful, although probably in the best spot with him we've been.  Aggy likely.  Hope to be wrong on this.

11)  Foster - would already be a Texas commit if not for the aggy mom.  Aggy mom is the only thing that may keep him from us.  Kid loves Coach Hand and probably knows Henson is a scrub coach.

12)  McCutchin - Bama' commit and mad at Texas because we offered 24 hours late or something

13)  Davis - one time Texas commit and likely to rejoin.

14)  LJ Johnson - I think Texas is in a good spot here. 

15)  Bowman - COMMIT. Bad ass Billy is another big time stud.  Borderline 5* in the end imo.

16)  JoJo - at one point Texas was leader, but didn't have us in a recent top 5.  Need to get back in on this one.

17)  C. Jackson - OU commit.

18)  Fatheree - seems to be higher priorities on the board and seems like a candidate to drop throughout the year.

19)  Clayton Smith -  kid likes Texas, but doesn't appear to much communication with him from the new staff.  Is he a DE or an off the ball LB?

20)  Blackshire - doubt this one happens.

As always, a lot will change in the rankings and this will look a lot different down the line.  Thoughts?

1)  T. Brockermeyer - Yes

2)  Wheaton - No

3)  Byrd - Yes

4)  L. Jackson - Yes

5)  Sanders - COMMITTED

6)  D. Jackson - No

7)  Stone - No

8 )  Milroe - COMMITTED

9)  Banks - No

10)  Burris - No

11)  Foster - Yes (T&F wins this for us)

12)  McCutchin - No

13)  Davis - Yes

14)  LJ Johnson -Yes

15)  Bowman - COMMITED

16)  JoJo - No

17)  C. Jackson - No

18)  Fatheree - No

19)  Clayton Smith -  No

20)  Blackshire - No

5 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

2)  Wheaton - No

3)  Byrd - Yes

4)  L. Jackson - Yes

5)  Sanders - COMMITTED

6)  D. Jackson - No

7)  Stone - No

8 )  Milroe - COMMITTED

9)  Banks - No

10)  Burris - No

12)  McCutchin - No

13)  Davis - Yes

14)  LJ Johnson -Yes

15)  Bowman - COMMITED

16)  JoJo - No

17)  C. Jackson - No

18)  Fatheree - No

19)  Clayton Smith -  No

20)  Blackshire - No

Would be interesting to see the spring top 20 for the 2020 class and compare it to the final rankings.

5 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

2)  Wheaton - No

3)  Byrd - Yes

4)  L. Jackson - Yes

5)  Sanders - COMMITTED

6)  D. Jackson - No

7)  Stone - No

8 )  Milroe - COMMITTED

9)  Banks - No

10)  Burris - No

12)  McCutchin - No

13)  Davis - Yes

14)  LJ Johnson -Yes

15)  Bowman - COMMITED

16)  JoJo - No

17)  C. Jackson - No

18)  Fatheree - No

19)  Clayton Smith -  No

20)  Blackshire - No

I'd tap the brakes on Brockermeyer too, bud. 

10 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

2)  Wheaton - No

3)  Byrd - Yes

4)  L. Jackson - Yes

5)  Sanders - COMMITTED

6)  D. Jackson - No

7)  Stone - No

8 )  Milroe - COMMITTED

9)  Banks - No

10)  Burris - No

12)  McCutchin - No

13)  Davis - Yes

14)  LJ Johnson -Yes

15)  Bowman - COMMITED

16)  JoJo - No

17)  C. Jackson - No

18)  Fatheree - No

19)  Clayton Smith -  No

20)  Blackshire - No

Purely in the interests of winning the top 20 battle, we'll need that bottom quarter to reshuffle more in line with our staff's rankings.

7 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Did a quick search to see if I could find it, but I wasn’t able to, and I also got distracted laughing at what was happening in the 2020 thread a year ago. 

Machinator was of course doing his programmed duties by filling the thread with quality content that we were all ignoring so we could argue about how Giles was going to manage missing on Collins, Broughton, and Princely. 
We were still hyped up about the Bru McCoy news and finishing with the #3 class for 2019. We thought we led for Ringo.  Johnny Wilson was going to be the next CJ. 

@Katfid54 made his infamous post saying some Oregon RB looked just like Tre Watson. It must’ve been in the transfer thread because I didn’t see it, but i know it happened around this time, because everyone was making fun of him for it. 

Texas was all in on Zach Evans and thought to be the leader. His bro, CJ, was flaming aggy all over twitter, while Zach had skipped visits to Clemson and aggy, which was interpreted by us Surly sleuths as a great sign for Texas. 

Meanwhile, @Txsbigeasy1 was raining down fire with his sick edits that were getting posted by all the croots, and we loved him for it, until he posted a certain Evans edit...

A1-C9-EB0-B-7-C1-D-434-B-A04-B-E2-FCCE27

Then we all started freaking out and shaming him into wiping every trace of the edit from the internet

Until this happened...

I love these look backs. It is almost as if nobody has any idea what we are doing. 

Edited by Vertigo

1 hour ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

2)  Wheaton - No

3)  Byrd - Yes

4)  L. Jackson - Yes

5)  Sanders - COMMITTED

6)  D. Jackson - No

7)  Stone - No

8 )  Milroe - COMMITTED

9)  Banks - No

10)  Burris - No

12)  McCutchin - No

13)  Davis - Yes

14)  LJ Johnson -Yes

15)  Bowman - COMMITED

16)  JoJo - No

17)  C. Jackson - No

18)  Fatheree - No

19)  Clayton Smith -  No

20)  Blackshire - No

This is best case with brockermeyer and Jackson and it’s still only 8 of the top 20. 

so no, at least 10 of them is not the lower limit of acceptable. 

3 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

This is best case with brockermeyer and Jackson and it’s still only 8 of the top 20. 

I have to think the bottom of that top 20 is going to get mixed up a bit as more football gets played (and Stone drops like a... )

Jackson and Byrd may not remain 5*'s. Farrell at Rivals was talking how they may have overrated both after seeing them at that future 50 camp when Jackson did that drill that went viral and Byrd struggling a bit at OT.  Of course, if Farrell had any sense he'd know that Byrd played exclusively DT this past season.

2 minutes ago, texifornia said:

I have to think the bottom of that top 20 is going to get mixed up a bit as more football gets played (and Stone drops like a... )

Stone, Fatheree, McCutchin, and Blackshire look like candidates to drop.

Also, see my above post on Jackson and Byrd.

Sanders and Bowman may very well be 5*'s in the end.

7 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Jackson and Byrd may not remain 5*'s. Farrell at Rivals was talking how they may have overrated both after seeing them at that future 50 camp when Jackson did that drill that went viral and Byrd struggling a bit at OT.  Of course, if Farrell had any sense he'd know that Byrd played exclusively DT this past season.

What was the drill that went viral?

11 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

oh no, baby, what is you doin

6 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

Also, I'm not saying that I'm obviously the best poster on this site.  But I'm also not saying that I'm not not the best poster on this site.

I extracted the twitter video and gifed it.

giphy.gif

1 minute ago, Katfid54 said:

giphy.gif

source.gif

27 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

Also, I'm not saying that I'm obviously the best poster on this site.  But I'm also not saying that I'm not not the best poster on this site.

I extracted the twitter video and gifed it.

giphy.gif

They dropped him based on that? He's clearly goofing around.

Just now, satyanash said:

He's clearly goofing around.

The "response" to that going viral was not that he was "goofing around" but that it was the first time he'd done the drill and that in other drills he looked fluid.  There were a bunch of posts by his HS coach, etc.

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

Did a quick search to see if I could find it, but I wasn’t able to, and I also got distracted laughing at what was happening in the 2020 thread a year ago. 

Machinator was of course doing his programmed duties by filling the thread with quality content that we were all ignoring so we could argue about how Giles was going to manage missing on Collins, Broughton, and Princely. 
We were still hyped up about the Bru McCoy news and finishing with the #3 class for 2019. We thought we led for Ringo.  Johnny Wilson was going to be the next CJ. 

@Katfid54 made his infamous post saying some Oregon RB looked just like Tre Watson. It must’ve been in the transfer thread because I didn’t see it, but i know it happened around this time, because everyone was making fun of him for it. 

Texas was all in on Zach Evans and thought to be the leader. His bro, CJ, was flaming aggy all over twitter, while Zach had skipped visits to Clemson and aggy, which was interpreted by us Surly sleuths as a great sign for Texas. 

Meanwhile, @Txsbigeasy1 was raining down fire with his sick edits that were getting posted by all the croots, and we loved him for it, until he posted a certain Evans edit...

A1-C9-EB0-B-7-C1-D-434-B-A04-B-E2-FCCE27

Then we all started freaking out and shaming him into wiping every trace of the edit from the internet

Until this happened...

I remember reading this at night and laughing uncontrollably, but being entirely incapable of explaining why it was funny to my wife.

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Your math is uh ... not good. Maybe try again, my man. Also, Burris being included in that group to Texas would be the best case scenario. Also also, the final top 20 will change quite a bit. Also also also, yes, anything below 10 out of the 20 will be disappointing, but ymmv. 

52 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Your math is uh ... not good. Maybe try again, my man. Also, Burris being included in that group to Texas would be the best case scenario. Also also, the final top 20 will change quite a bit. Also also also, yes, anything below 10 out of the 20 will be disappointing, but ymmv. 

Ok you are correct sir, there are 9 commits/yes on the list I quoted. But 10 of those 20 players isn’t happening, whatever their final rankings end up being.  Maybe if we are a playoff team AND we actually covet 10 or more of those guys. 
And I'm willing to wager any Greg Davis related avatar on it. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

10 out of the state's 20 seems wildly unrealistic. In 2018, Herman and his first-year bump got us 12/20. In 2019, we got 3/20 while landing a lot of OOS kids to make up for the explosion of in-state headcases. This year we ended up with 5/20, but had the opportunity to do significantly better before we underachieved on the field (Nahlin was boasting we'd get a top 5 class for sure this time last year, if you recall).

Unless we collapse on the field in 2020, we'll probably get five or so from the state's top 20 again. Give or take a couple.

5 minutes ago, satyanash said:

10 out of the state's 20 seems wildly unrealistic. In 2018, Herman and his first-year bump got us 12/20. In 2019, we got 3/20 while landing a lot of OOS kids to make up for the explosion of in-state headcases. This year we ended up with 5/20, but had the opportunity to do significantly better before we underachieved on the field (Nahlin was boasting we'd get a top 5 class for sure this time last year, if you recall).

Unless we collapse on the field in 2020, we'll probably get five or so from the state's top 20 again. Give or take a couple.

WelI fuck me sideways and call me echeese. If satya says we’re gonna get 5, then I’m feeling pretty damn good about us landing 10 when it’s all said and done. 

• Like 2

Big tall white dudes from Balkans make for good C and PFs in basketball, so not a bad idea to test out that athleticism on the gridiron. Hand starting a new pipeline to Belgrade? 
I know it's the wrong end of Europe. but this is the Mountain before he got on the roids and after.
gimme your skinny killers and let Yancy work that ass. 593097f21752dd492f77d81b035be11c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1