Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

Hank South: Bama offer 'felt like a dream' to Texas OL James Brockermeyer

Alabama hosted four-star center James Brockermeyer and his brother five-star offensive tackle Tommy Brockermeyer for the second time in their recruitments for Junior Day on Saturday. The trip culminated in an offer for James. “I was just … it kind of felt like a dream,” James told BamaOnLine. “It’s the greatest college football coach of all the time saying you have the opportunity to play for him, it’s pretty cool.”

The visit overall impressed. “It was awesome,” James said. “I got to see everything again, spend some good, quality time with Coach Saban and Coach (Kyle) Flood. It was really good.” Nick Saban liked what he saw from James since the last time he was on campus for camp last June. “Just kind of talking about how much bigger I’ve gotten since summer,” he said of the conversation with the UA head coach, adding he checked in at 6-foot-3, 273 pounds. “He really liked my film. He said I have an offer there. So it was really good.”

James also spent time with offensive line coach Kyle Flood. “Just kind of talked about the O-line tradition there, how he wants to coach us and everything,” he said of Flood’s message. “I’m really excited to continue our relationship with them.”

The Brockermeyer brothers will return to Tuscaloosa for spring official visits. Other schools in the mix include Texas, where their dad starred for the Longhorns, LSU, Auburn, and others. “I haven’t really narrowed it down yet,” James said of where things stand. “But obviously Alabama is going to be at the top or very near the top. They’re 100 percent up there. I’ll probably narrow things down soon.”

What has the Tide in the mix among top contenders? “Just the opportunity to truly compete for a national championship every year. Some schools talk about it, but Alabama is definitely one of those schools that does it every year.” James is rated the No. 3 center and the No. 330 overall player in the country, per the industry-generated 247Sports Composite Rankings.

spacer.png

1 minute ago, victory88 said:

They’re not coming here.  The meltdown is going to be epic on the UT boards when this happens. 

I feel like, the olds who I guess remember dad will fully break down.

The youngs will be regular annoyed.

Satya has already purchased a cat o' nine tails and is stripped and ready.

Something to remember with the Brockermeyrs; Texas will always have a last say. Could they fuck up that last say, or could circumstances be so poor that it won't matter? Absolutely. But Texas will have a shot here no matter what. Lets not freak out over every fucking off season update, please. 

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, Fud said:

Something to remember with the Brockermeyrs; Texas will always have a last say. Could they fuck up that last say, or could circumstances be so poor that it won't matter? Absolutely. But Texas will have a shot here no matter what. Lets not freak out over every fucking off season update, please. 

giphy.gif

Little Fud #hottake:

Foster's tape/hudl is very unimpressive to me relative to his ranking, especially if you watch Connor's to see how he's doing on non-highlight plays. He's a little stiff, doesn't play pissed off, and loses some reps. I've been thinking for awhile that I'm fine about him going elsewhere. Although apparently he measured in two weeks ago at 6'5 350, which if he's actually that size, I'm circling back around to thinking he's a must get. Which is great, because we're getting him, assuming Herman/Yurcich* don't fuck up the Milroe recruitment. Sorry agg lurkers. We're also getting LJ Johnson you pussies. 

* Just noting that if they really don't love Milroe, the bellcow of the class, then I'll defer, because I'm tired of bringing in early evals at QB that don't pan out, like Roschon. But I prefer that Milroe turns into Marcus Mariota. 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Fud said:

Little Fud #hottake:

Foster's tape/hudl is very unimpressive to me relative to his ranking, especially if you watch Connor's to see how he's doing on non-highlight plays. He's a little stiff, doesn't play pissed off, and loses some reps. I've been thinking for awhile that I'm fine about him going elsewhere. Although apparently he measured in two weeks ago at 6'5 350, which if he's actually that size, I'm circling back around to thinking he's a must get. Which is great, because we're getting him, assuming Herman/Yurcich* don't fuck up the Milroe recruitment. Sorry agg lurkers. We're also getting LJ Johnson you pussies. 

* Just noting that if they really don't love Milroe, the bellcow of the class, then I'll defer, because I'm tired of bringing in early evals at QB that don't pan out, like Roschon. But I prefer that Milroe turns into Marcus Mariota. 

Well Milroe has been tweeting at King and several of the other offers today.  I think Terrance Cooks may be close to "put him in the calculator" territory as well.

LJ Johnson would be a big get.  Need a 2nd back in the APB type mold for this class after Ty Jordan bolted.

Bowman is already on Nwokobia.

If we don't get the PG duo, then Turner and Thomas turn in to must gets.

Not sure what WR and CB is going to look like.

1 minute ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Well Milroe has been tweeting at King and several of the other offers today.  I think Terrance Cooks may be close to "put him in the calculator" territory as well.

LJ Johnson would be a big get.  Need a 2nd back in the APB type mold for this class after Ty Jordan bolted.

Bowman is already on Nwokobia.

If we don't get the PG duo, then Turner and Thomas turn in to must gets.

Not sure what WR and CB is going to look like.

Yeah I think Cooks is a pretty important and unique prospect in this class, and he has a very "Texas" vibe thus far

LJ Johnson seems like a kid who should like LSU (legacy) or A&M (Cy Fair), but the dude is just vibing Texas. He's been my one random A&M Super Bowl Weekened commitment concern. We'll see if that materializes. 

Having Sanders committed takes a lot of pressure off of DL, but this seems like a class where we really should load up.  I think the staff feels good enough about it to where we're really not seeing them browse the country for potential takes 

WR/CB are both new position coaching hires. That'll be interesting to follow. I'm a Coleman truther, so I hope he works out. Not sure what to think about Valai. 

11 hours ago, Fud said:

Why do you hate the race to 1000? 

They don’t want to go to a Texas right now. The dad hates Herman and isn’t going to make them go to a Texas right now. The mom hasn’t had her say. Could things change? Sure.  It’s still beyond fucked up that we are even in this position instead of having those guys in the class helping to build it, imo.

All our eggs seem to be in the “show it on the field this season” basket, which makes me fucking nervous and skeptical. On the flip side, Herman seems to do better under the pressure than he does when he’s front-running, so maybe we have a shot to reach the playoffs. And the playoffs are what it’s going to take to put the ghosts to rest, imo. 

Edited by SydneyCarton

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

Why do you hate the race to 1000? 

They don’t want to go to a Texas right now. The dad hates Herman and isn’t going to make them go to a Texas right now. The mom hasn’t had her say. Could things change? Sure.  It’s still beyond fucked up that we are even in this position instead of having those guys in the class helping to build it, imo.

All our eggs seem to be in the “show it on the field this season” basket, which makes me fucking nervous and skeptical. On the flip side, Herman seems to do better under the pressure than he does when he’s front-running, so maybe we have a shot to reach the playoffs. And the playoffs are what it’s going to take to put the ghosts to rest, imo. 

talk repeating GIF

Eric Nahlin: Quick Super Sunday Recruiting Notes

It'll be interesting to see if Saturday signaled a change in offer strategy for the program or if Tom Herman and Bryan Chang simply thought, with the looming dead period it would be good to extend offers that would normally occur in February.

In the 2020 cycle we saw the passive approach harm recruiting for an extended period of time. It sort of reminded of Tom Herman's ball control offense. Yesterday the staff went up-tempo and it was good to see. At 8-5 Texas isn't Texas, and it hasn't been in a while. Many kids will see a "late" offer from an 8-5 team and laugh even if the offer comes with an iconic logo. This is especially true with out-of-state offers. It's better to be early than late. If you have to take your foot off the gas of a recruitment, so be it, that's the nature of modern day recruiting.

Let's take stock of the offers that went out yesterday.

WR Destyn Pazon, Edna Karr (New Orleans, LA): Maybe the fastest recruit in the nation. Same school as Speedy Noil, but his nickname of "Fatt" doesn't seem as apropos. It should be FAT because he has legitimately elite speed.

TE Landen King, Atascocita (Humble, TX) - campus visit: Good flex weapon. Certainly looks the part. I saw him this season and at a camp and he impressed both times.

TE Elijah Arroyo, Independence (Frisco, TX) - campus visit: He looks like the best TE in the state and I'm not sure it's particularly close.

LB Morice Blackwell, Martin (Arlington, TX) - campus visit: Recently picked up Alabama. Plenty of athleticism to play in space.

LB Martrell Harris, The Woodlands (The Woodlands, TX) - 2022 - campus visit: Baton Rouge native. Was on JV last year due to transfer rules. It was smart to get ahead of him blowing up this season. Cousin of Theodore Knox.

DB Jaylon Guilbeau, Memorial (Port Arthur, TX) - 2022 - campus visit: That class is loaded at DB. How the staff ranks these guys will be interesting to watch. Maybe grow into a nickel or safety.

DB Calen Bullock, John Muir (Pasadena, CA): A&M offered last summer so you know he's a safety. Middle class Deionte Thompson.

DB Romario Noel, Cy Ranch (Cypress, TX) - campus visit: Committed to the old Baylor staff in September but UT offering is a sign Dave Aranda will want to keep him. He'll be a linebacker, imo. 43" triple jump at this size (6-2, 195) is real good.

DB Isaiah Nwokobia, Skyline (Dallas, TX) - campus visit: Reminds a bit of Atanza Vongor in 2018. Good twitch, closing speed, and coverage ability.

It's good to see the aggression on offers. I also like that the staff isn't star-gazing. The February dead period will serve as a crash course for the class of 2021. If you feel behind, don't worry, we'll get caught up together.

#####

Of note, today the Aggies will host Bryce Foster (OG Katy Taylor), Reuben Fatheree (OL Richmond Foster), LJ Johnson (RB Cy Fair), Marcus Burris (DL Pleasant Grove, maybe - been sick), Landon Jackson (DE Pleasant Grove), Shemar Turner (DL DeSoto), Jordon Thomas (DE Port Arthur Memorial), Terrence Cooks (LB Shadow Creek), Deuce Harmon (DB Denton Guyer), Ishmael Ibraheem (CB Dallas Kimball), Hunter Washington (CB Katy), Dametrious Crownover (ATH Grandview), Donovan Green (TE Dickinson 2022), Bobby Taylor (CB Katy 2022) Bear Alexander (DT Dallas Skyline 2022), Jaylon Guilbeau (DB Port Arthur Memorial 2022), and Armani Winfield (WR Lewisville 2022)

Edited by satyanash
  • Like 1

It'll be interesting to see if Saturday signaled a change in offer strategy for the program or if Tom Herman and Derek Chang simply thought with the looming dead period it would be good to extend offers that would normally occur in February.

In the 2020 cycle we saw the passive approach harm recruiting for an extended period of time. It sort of reminded of Tom Herman's ball control offense. Yesterday the staff went up-tempo and it was good to see. At 8-5 Texas isn't Texas, and it hasn't been in a while. Many kids will see a "late" offer from an 8-5 team and laugh even if the offer comes with an iconic logo. This is especially true with out-of-state offers. It's better to be early than late. If you have to take your foot off the gas of a recruitment, so be it, that's the nature of modern day recruiting.

Let's take stock of the offers that went out yesterday.

WR Destyn Pazon, Edna Karr (New Orleans, LA): May be the fastest recruit in the nation. Same school as Speedy Noil, but his nickname of "Fatt" doesn't seem as apropos. It should be FAT because he has legitimately elite speed.

TE Landen King, Atascocita (Humble, TX) - campus visit: Good flex weapon. Certainly looks the part. I saw him this season and at a camp and he impressed both times.

TE Elijah Arroyo, Independence (Frisco, TX) - campus visit: He looks like the best TE in the state and I'm not sure it's particularly close.

LB Morice Blackwell, Martin (Arlington, TX) - campus visit: Recently picked up Alabama. Plenty of athleticism to play in space.

LB Martrell Harris, The Woodlands (The Woodlands, TX) - 2022 - campus visit: Baton Rouge native. Was on JV last year due to transfer rules. It was smart to get ahead of him blowing up this season. Cousin of Theodore Knox.

DB Jaylon Guilbeau, Memorial (Port Arthur, TX) - 2022 - campus visit: That class is loaded at DB. How the staff ranks these guys will be interesting to watch. Maybe grow into a nickel or safety.

DB Calen Bullock, John Muir (Pasadena, CA): A&M offered last summer so you know he's a safety. Middle class Deionte Thompson.

DB Romario Noel, Cy Ranch (Cypress, TX) - campus visit: Committed to the old Baylor staff in September but UT offering is a sign Dave Aranda will want to keep him. He'll be a linebacker, imo. 43" triple jump at this size (6-2, 195) is real good.

DB Isaiah Nwokobia, Skyline (Dallas, TX) - campus visit: Reminds a bit of Atanza Vongor in 2018. Good twitch, closing speed, and coverage ability.

It's good to see the aggression on offers. I also like that the staff isn't star-gazing.

The February dead period will serve as a crash course for the class of 2021. If you feel behind, don't worry, we'll get caught up together.

#####

Of note, today the Aggies will host Bryce Foster (OG Katy Taylor), Reuben Fatheree (OL Richmond Foster), LJ Johnson (RB Cy Fair), Marcus Burris (DL Pleasant Grove, maybe - been sick), Landon Jackson (DE Pleasant Grove), Shemar Turner (DL DeSoto), Jordon Thomas (DE Port Arthur Memorial), Terrence Cooks (LB Shadow Creek), Deuce Harmon (DB Denton Guyer), Ishmael Ibraheem (CB Dallas Kimball), Hunter Washington (CB Katy), Dametrious Crownover (ATH Grandview), Donovan Green (TE Dickinson 2022), Bobby Taylor (CB Katy 2022) Bear Alexander (DT Dallas Skyline 2022), Jaylon Guilbeau (DB Port Arthur Memorial 2022), and Armani Winfield (WR Lewisville 2022)

So Nahlin said:

It'll be interesting to see if Saturday signaled a change in offer strategy for the program or if Tom Herman and Bryan Chang simply thought, with the looming dead period it would be good to extend offers that would normally occur in February.

Wasn't Saturday the first day of February?