Texas Recruiting Notes 2021

Reese Bennett

3 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Roach on Uke

Reveal hidden contents

Talked to a source before his announcement who said it’s pretty tight but he’s leaning Stanford. I have hardly any service here but will try to get stuff up on social.

1 minute ago, Machinator said:

CJ Vogel (TFB) on Uke

Reveal hidden contents

Confidence has faded enough to make me think he heads west. A little north at that.

Neg bombs armed.

• Hook 'Em 1

No clue if a follow means anything, but Diggs has a better tape and look than most. I am not sure what is going on with highlights, but there have been a lot of bad ones flying around lately. So it is nice to see a good one. The fact that is ranked where he is says a lot about services. They have been fawning over a lot of jags lately to help keep the 2nd signing day interesting.

Edited by Dr. Teeth
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Laxtonto said:

Can we schedule Stanford for a series or something? Or at least convince Shaw to take an NFL job

Everyone knows that Stanford is too smart for that shit.  Too many of their recruits would be struck by the brilliance of Texas cities when compared to the unlivable shitholes that are Palo Alto, San Francisco, and Napa Valley and shit.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Dr. Teeth said:

No clue if a follow means anything, but Diggs has a better tape and look than most. I am not sure what is going on with highlights, but there have been a lot of bad ones flying around lately. So it is nice to see a good one. The fact that is ranked where he is says a lot about services. They have been fawning over a lot of jags lately to help keep the 2nd signing day interesting.

Seriously, the kid has a well put together highlight clip. Does a bit of everything for his team. Runs with the same kind of energy that Rojo runs with. Ranking definitely doesn't match the film.

(Bobby Burton) Wednesday: Value

Every year, I always feel like there are a couple of recruits who may get overlooked or undervalued. There are usually two or three in the group. Here are mine in this Longhorn class:

Juan Davis - TE/ATH, 6-4, 217, Everman | Casey Cain - WR, 6-2, 175, New Orleans Easton | Isaac Pearson - P, 6-2, 215, Pro Kick Australia

All three are ranked three stars and in the bottom half of this recruiting class. Yet it’s my guess that all three more than make a dent at Texas during their careers.

Davis and Cain are somewhat similar to me. They’re sneaky good and smart athletes who aren’t quite on the national radar for one reason or another. The reasons? With Cain, it’s his lack of speed. But he is crafty. He knows how to use his body to create separation at the point of catch. He’s also extremely competitive and starts as a point guard for his basketball team. For Davis, he is a classic tweener. Is he a receiver or tight end, or is he a defensive end or linebacker?

I could see Davis playing on either side of the ball but what makes him more valuable than where he is rated is his physical know-how. He has an intelligence and speed that he plays with that isn’t going to show up on a combine checklist. There are others who I think are undervalued, including Jonathon Brooks and Jordan Alexis. Brooks is an elite athlete who could play multiple positions on the field, whether it’s running back or even at a linebacker or secondary spot. Alexis is undersized but has big-time speed.

So why is the Horns’ next punter from Australia on the list? Well, I was told he’s the best punting prospect that ProKick is sending to the US in this class. I’m literally taking one person’s word for it. Granted, I trust that person, a player personnel director at another Power 5 school who has also recruited ProKick punters through the years.

Enjoy today. IT will have wall-to-wall coverage of signing day for the class of 2021. But also keep an eye on the future. The commitment yesterday of Jaydon Blue, a class of 2022, running back may provide a much-needed kickstart to Steve Sarkisian’s first full class at Texas.