Leaked video of Bo Davis going Augie Garrido on the team after ISU loss

Bruh Man

• 10 months later...
51 minutes ago, SDG said:

Tomorrow morning it’s time to avenge the reason for this thread. 
(and give Bo a raise)

BO got a raise in May 2022...  🤘

Defensive line coach Bo Davis will receive a fourth year added to his original agreement, though Davis will also receive an annual increase to his previous contract. Davis was set to make $900,000 in Year 2 and $925,000 in Year 3, but the D-line coach will join the $1 million club and will receive an annual guaranteed salary of $1 million in each of the three years remaining on his contract.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

BO got a raise in May 2022...  🤘

Defensive line coach Bo Davis will receive a fourth year added to his original agreement, though Davis will also receive an annual increase to his previous contract. Davis was set to make $900,000 in Year 2 and $925,000 in Year 3, but the D-line coach will join the $1 million club and will receive an annual guaranteed salary of $1 million in each of the three years remaining on his contract.

Everyone knows that…  I was being enthusiastic about our team…

• 1 year later...
2 minutes ago, ApocalypseTexas said:

Three years ago Bo Davis set in motion a complete change at Texas with this rant.  His unit is now one of the most dominant and feared defensive lines in college football.  What he said needed to be said so I say again thank you to Bo Davis.

Agreed, but it was two years ago FTR.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, ApocalypseTexas said:

Two years ago Bo Davis set in motion a complete change at Texas with this rant.  His unit is now one of the most dominant and feared defensive lines in college football.  What he said needed to be said so I say again thank you to Bo Davis.

Yesterday, I pretty much had the same thoughts.  Too bad, Augie can't give these boys a half time speech today. 

16 minutes ago, Lhorn said:

Can anyone cut and paste that?  I’m get a paywall pop up. 

Spoiler

In the final minutes, Bo Davis relaxed on a folding chair near the bench, plenty comfortable in the cold. Texas’ offense was running out the clock on a 26-16 victory at Iowa State. His work here was done.

The Longhorns’ defensive line coach has plenty of reasons to be proud. In its final road game as a member of the Big 12, Texas flexed its toughness and proved its progress. This team is 10-1. Two wins away from a Big 12 title and perhaps the College Football Playoff. And two years removed from a rock-bottom reckoning that infamously began here.

A contingent of fans in burnt orange chanted Davis’ name inside Jack Trice Stadium as the victors ran to their locker room. None of them forget where this program was in 2021. The last time Texas came to town, Steve Sarkisian was in Year 1 and learning just how much rebuilding he needed to do.

Iowa State rolled to an easy 30-7 blowout on that Nov. 6 night. Brock Purdy, Breece Hall and the Cyclones delighted in defeating the Longhorns three years in a row. It was the ultimate validation of their mission: five-star culture beats five-star talent.

“It felt ugly in the moment,” Sarkisian said with a chuckle. “We didn’t play very good, kinda got our butts kicked.”

That Texas team had a 4-5 record when it boarded the bus to head home. The pent-up tension of a month-long stretch of losing in Sarkisian’s first season was disrupted by the unmistakable sound of laughter from the back of the bus. Davis heard it and snapped. We know this because someone on the bus hit record on their phone.

“THIS S—’S REAL. SOME OF YOU MOTHERF—ERS NEED TO GET IN THE TRANSFER PORTAL. YOU WANNA GO? GET IN THE MOTHERF—ER. THIS S— AIN’T A GAME TO ME. IF YOU THINK IT’S A GAME, GET THE F— OFF OF THIS BUS. I GOT MY ASS KICKED AND YOU MOTHERF—ERS WERE LAUGHING. THIS S—’S F—ING REAL. YOU THINK IT’S A GODDAMN JOKE? AND SOME OF YOU MOTHERF—ERS DO, TRANSFER OUT OF THIS MOTHERF—ER. BECAUSE I’M TIRED OF THIS S—. THIS S—’S GODDAMN REAL. AND WE WANNA LAUGH AND JOKE? F— THAT.”

The 46-second video of Davis’ profane rant is considered a canon event among diehard Texas fans. This was a necessary breaking point in the middle of a six-game losing streak. This was someone finally — and forcefully — saying what needed to be said. Someone who’d been at Texas before and came back from Alabama with Sarkisian. Someone who knows what championship football looks like and knows what embarrassing football looks like.

For Sarkisian, that memory was made fresh by his return to the same visitor’s locker room on Saturday. He thought back to those somber nights when his debut season was falling apart.

“This was a tough scene,” Sarkisian said. “I think that was a moment when the program started to change after that. That was a long week for us in that year. That was a tough night to endure. So to come back on our farewell tour and get some redemption here is a big one.”

On Saturday night, 15 of Texas’ starters were players who were freshmen and sophomores back in 2021, sitting on that bus, hurting from that loss. They agree that Davis’ tirade ultimately became a turning point. “It had to be said,” safety Jerrin Thompson said. “I feel like it woke a lot of things up.” The program wasn’t instantly fixed from that day forward. In fact, Texas hit a new low the following week with a home loss to Kansas.

But at the end of that brutal 5-7 campaign, the Longhorns cleaned house. They had 21 scholarship players — one-quarter of their roster — hit the (expletive) portal. The right ones stayed. But fixing this program didn’t just require stockpiling more top-five recruiting classes. It required continuity, consistency and an earnest attempt at a better culture. Ever since it put a stop to that six-game slide, Texas has the best record in the Big 12 at 19-6.

Sarkisian admits that, in a strange way, he’s actually glad the video leaked. He’ll never apologize for Davis’ passion. “The fact that people remember that, I think, is a good thing,” he said. He nodded to Texas athletic director Chris Del Conte in the postgame press conference and said he jokes with Davis that Del Conte may soon have a statue of the assistant installed at Darrell K Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium. It took a lot more tough love and hard coaching to get this program pointed in the right direction. And they now have definitive proof that, in Year 3, they’ve built up a veteran team that’s laudably tight-knit and legitimately tough.

Texas had lost three of its last four games in this stadium. Saturday was the 12-year anniversary of one of the greatest upsets in Big 12 history: Iowa State spoiling No. 2 Oklahoma State’s national championship hopes with a double-overtime stunner. The Longhorns weren’t going down like that.

This game provided a few plays that would’ve totally derailed past Texas teams. An 85-yard punt return touchdown by Xavier Worthy was called back by a penalty. So was a 23-yard touchdown pass to Adonai Mitchell. Worthy lost a fumble in the red zone to kill another drive. Texas only led 6-3 at halftime. There were injuries and officiating issues and all those little things that lesser Longhorn teams would’ve pointed to as reasons why they found a way to lose this game.

Instead, this was another culture win for a Texas team that isn’t afraid to win close games. And on this night, it was Davis’ crew that powered the fight. His line, led by defensive tackles T’Vondre Sweat and Byron Murphy II, controlled the Cyclones from start to finish. Nine rushing yards allowed. Three sacks. A blocked extra point taken all the way back for a 3-point swing. They were just flat-out bigger and better.

“When it comes to Coach Bo and the D-line, we’re stopping the run,” Murphy said. “We’re killing the run no matter what.”

They were already motivated for this one after the beatdown in 2021. Then Iowa State guard Jarrod Hufford fired them up on Tuesday by telling reporters that the Longhorns are “just humans that have a high ego that needs to be checked” with one final loss before their move to the SEC. “I don’t think they really know what’s going to be coming for them,” Hufford declared. Sark responded by making Murphy and Sweat captains for the game. Why? So he could send them to midfield before kickoff.

“I wanted them to look at No. 90 and No. 93,” he said.

If you want to keep calling Texas soft, you’re going to have a problem with them. Hufford saw them in the backfield plenty over the next three hours. Davis has trained them to be not just disruptive rushers and run stoppers up front but also tone setters in Texas’ locker room. They refused to let this team lose.

“Last time I was here, I got my butt kicked,” Murphy said. “I was just telling my teammates I didn’t come all the way back here to have that same feeling again. When we got here, we knew what we had to do.”

Earlier this month, Sweat appeared on a podcast with former Longhorn Alex Okafor and was asked about that moment on the bus. He grinned and couldn’t resist finally confessing the truth: Sweat was the one who was laughing in the back of the bus.

People cope with tough moments in different ways, he reasoned, and he was a sophomore backup who didn’t know better. A teammate said something funny. He laughed. “And I laughed hard, bro,” Sweat added. “I’m the one who got him fired up.”

And now he’s all grown up, a 6-foot-4, 362-pound force and a program leader playing at an All-American level. After all they’ve gone through together and all they’ve proven so far this season, Sweat and his squad have earned the right to laugh as loud as they want.

“Five-star culture vs. five-star players,” Sarkisian said. “Well, now we have both.”

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, The Ace of Aces said:
  Hide contents

In the final minutes, Bo Davis relaxed on a folding chair near the bench, plenty comfortable in the cold. Texas’ offense was running out the clock on a 26-16 victory at Iowa State. His work here was done.

The Longhorns’ defensive line coach has plenty of reasons to be proud. In its final road game as a member of the Big 12, Texas flexed its toughness and proved its progress. This team is 10-1. Two wins away from a Big 12 title and perhaps the College Football Playoff. And two years removed from a rock-bottom reckoning that infamously began here.

A contingent of fans in burnt orange chanted Davis’ name inside Jack Trice Stadium as the victors ran to their locker room. None of them forget where this program was in 2021. The last time Texas came to town, Steve Sarkisian was in Year 1 and learning just how much rebuilding he needed to do.

Iowa State rolled to an easy 30-7 blowout on that Nov. 6 night. Brock Purdy, Breece Hall and the Cyclones delighted in defeating the Longhorns three years in a row. It was the ultimate validation of their mission: five-star culture beats five-star talent.

“It felt ugly in the moment,” Sarkisian said with a chuckle. “We didn’t play very good, kinda got our butts kicked.”

That Texas team had a 4-5 record when it boarded the bus to head home. The pent-up tension of a month-long stretch of losing in Sarkisian’s first season was disrupted by the unmistakable sound of laughter from the back of the bus. Davis heard it and snapped. We know this because someone on the bus hit record on their phone.

“THIS S—’S REAL. SOME OF YOU MOTHERF—ERS NEED TO GET IN THE TRANSFER PORTAL. YOU WANNA GO? GET IN THE MOTHERF—ER. THIS S— AIN’T A GAME TO ME. IF YOU THINK IT’S A GAME, GET THE F— OFF OF THIS BUS. I GOT MY ASS KICKED AND YOU MOTHERF—ERS WERE LAUGHING. THIS S—’S F—ING REAL. YOU THINK IT’S A GODDAMN JOKE? AND SOME OF YOU MOTHERF—ERS DO, TRANSFER OUT OF THIS MOTHERF—ER. BECAUSE I’M TIRED OF THIS S—. THIS S—’S GODDAMN REAL. AND WE WANNA LAUGH AND JOKE? F— THAT.”

The 46-second video of Davis’ profane rant is considered a canon event among diehard Texas fans. This was a necessary breaking point in the middle of a six-game losing streak. This was someone finally — and forcefully — saying what needed to be said. Someone who’d been at Texas before and came back from Alabama with Sarkisian. Someone who knows what championship football looks like and knows what embarrassing football looks like.

For Sarkisian, that memory was made fresh by his return to the same visitor’s locker room on Saturday. He thought back to those somber nights when his debut season was falling apart.

“This was a tough scene,” Sarkisian said. “I think that was a moment when the program started to change after that. That was a long week for us in that year. That was a tough night to endure. So to come back on our farewell tour and get some redemption here is a big one.”

On Saturday night, 15 of Texas’ starters were players who were freshmen and sophomores back in 2021, sitting on that bus, hurting from that loss. They agree that Davis’ tirade ultimately became a turning point. “It had to be said,” safety Jerrin Thompson said. “I feel like it woke a lot of things up.” The program wasn’t instantly fixed from that day forward. In fact, Texas hit a new low the following week with a home loss to Kansas.

But at the end of that brutal 5-7 campaign, the Longhorns cleaned house. They had 21 scholarship players — one-quarter of their roster — hit the (expletive) portal. The right ones stayed. But fixing this program didn’t just require stockpiling more top-five recruiting classes. It required continuity, consistency and an earnest attempt at a better culture. Ever since it put a stop to that six-game slide, Texas has the best record in the Big 12 at 19-6.

Sarkisian admits that, in a strange way, he’s actually glad the video leaked. He’ll never apologize for Davis’ passion. “The fact that people remember that, I think, is a good thing,” he said. He nodded to Texas athletic director Chris Del Conte in the postgame press conference and said he jokes with Davis that Del Conte may soon have a statue of the assistant installed at Darrell K Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium. It took a lot more tough love and hard coaching to get this program pointed in the right direction. And they now have definitive proof that, in Year 3, they’ve built up a veteran team that’s laudably tight-knit and legitimately tough.

Texas had lost three of its last four games in this stadium. Saturday was the 12-year anniversary of one of the greatest upsets in Big 12 history: Iowa State spoiling No. 2 Oklahoma State’s national championship hopes with a double-overtime stunner. The Longhorns weren’t going down like that.

This game provided a few plays that would’ve totally derailed past Texas teams. An 85-yard punt return touchdown by Xavier Worthy was called back by a penalty. So was a 23-yard touchdown pass to Adonai Mitchell. Worthy lost a fumble in the red zone to kill another drive. Texas only led 6-3 at halftime. There were injuries and officiating issues and all those little things that lesser Longhorn teams would’ve pointed to as reasons why they found a way to lose this game.

Instead, this was another culture win for a Texas team that isn’t afraid to win close games. And on this night, it was Davis’ crew that powered the fight. His line, led by defensive tackles T’Vondre Sweat and Byron Murphy II, controlled the Cyclones from start to finish. Nine rushing yards allowed. Three sacks. A blocked extra point taken all the way back for a 3-point swing. They were just flat-out bigger and better.

“When it comes to Coach Bo and the D-line, we’re stopping the run,” Murphy said. “We’re killing the run no matter what.”

They were already motivated for this one after the beatdown in 2021. Then Iowa State guard Jarrod Hufford fired them up on Tuesday by telling reporters that the Longhorns are “just humans that have a high ego that needs to be checked” with one final loss before their move to the SEC. “I don’t think they really know what’s going to be coming for them,” Hufford declared. Sark responded by making Murphy and Sweat captains for the game. Why? So he could send them to midfield before kickoff.

“I wanted them to look at No. 90 and No. 93,” he said.

If you want to keep calling Texas soft, you’re going to have a problem with them. Hufford saw them in the backfield plenty over the next three hours. Davis has trained them to be not just disruptive rushers and run stoppers up front but also tone setters in Texas’ locker room. They refused to let this team lose.

“Last time I was here, I got my butt kicked,” Murphy said. “I was just telling my teammates I didn’t come all the way back here to have that same feeling again. When we got here, we knew what we had to do.”

Earlier this month, Sweat appeared on a podcast with former Longhorn Alex Okafor and was asked about that moment on the bus. He grinned and couldn’t resist finally confessing the truth: Sweat was the one who was laughing in the back of the bus.

People cope with tough moments in different ways, he reasoned, and he was a sophomore backup who didn’t know better. A teammate said something funny. He laughed. “And I laughed hard, bro,” Sweat added. “I’m the one who got him fired up.”

And now he’s all grown up, a 6-foot-4, 362-pound force and a program leader playing at an All-American level. After all they’ve gone through together and all they’ve proven so far this season, Sweat and his squad have earned the right to laugh as loud as they want.

“Five-star culture vs. five-star players,” Sarkisian said. “Well, now we have both.”

So my first question is how much blowback do you get as a player for spouting off like that and it becoming legitimate bulletin board material?

In the grand scheme of things, it is as much of a creation of media as it is a major motivator for the DL. That being said, with as much blowback by the players, team, and fansites after the game it’s pretty obvious that Huffard seriously pissed those guys off…

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Laxtonto said:

So my first question is how much blowback do you get as a player for spouting off like that and it becoming legitimate bulletin board material?

In the grand scheme of things, it is as much of a creation of media as it is a major motivator for the DL. That being said, with as much blowback by the players, team, and fansites after the game it’s pretty obvious that Huffard seriously pissed those guys off…

It’s pretty rare for an opposing player to mouth off before a game about work ethic. That’s against sports code imo. Texas was right to take offense. 

• 1 month later...