Apocalypse Now Redux (but I won’t throw a spear at you for talking original cut)

Patricio Swayze

I first saw Apocalypse Now when I was a junior in high school in 1994 and it has stayed one of my all time favorite movies ever since. When Redux came out in 2001 I was living in DC and caught it in the Avalon theater with my brother and a close friend from high school who also lived up there.

I loved the additional scenes. Even the French rubber plantation scene. It definitely changes the pacing of the movie and also adds a bit more mysticism (I guess that’s the word).

I watched it for what seems like the 50th time last week and still liked all the scenes that weren’t in the original theatrical release. However, the scenes that seemed maybe a little forced or didn’t fit in the overall mood for me were stealing Kilgore’s surfboard and his subsequent searching for it while blaring a recording from helicopters.

Then I got to thinking how Apocalypse Now seems like a perfect movie for Surly.

Willard is drinking Martell Cordon Bleu in his hotel room (and in at least one other scene). We definitely have some avid and informed drinkers on this site. I looked up what a bottle cost and it seems to go for $150-200. Seems like something guys around here would be into fighting about.

Then there is Willard’s pistol. I am not a gun guy, so I had to look it up. Supposedly a M1911A1 military issued pistol. Someone I am sure will correct me, but it seems to go for $1500-2000. Not cheap I would guess. I would rather spend my money on camera gear.

Then Willard is wearing a Seiko 6105 wristwatch. An original is certainly a collectors item and not cheap when compared to typical Seiko diver prices.

And of course, there is plenty of drugs. Weed, acid and opium. No one around here knows anything about that shit.

The horror…the horror.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

More than once, a group of Surly posters has rushed a stage with Playboy bunnies on it, and had to be dispersed with smoke grenades (or tear gas as I like to call it).

Atom obviously  nailed it.

Ive seen Redux once.  My impression is it makes Apocalypse a totally different movie. More linear and traditional, less fever dream.  Neither better nor worse, just totally different. I tend to prefer the original, with the bombing scene at the end. But thats just me.

I really would like to have seen George Lucas's version, where he was going to shoot it in South Vietnam in '72 or '73 in active war zones.

But it might have either wrecked him in some way (to where he couldn't get funding for Star Wars), or sent him on a different path away from Star Wars (he still would have made it, but it could have been years later).

45 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Also, not going to lie, while I love Martin Sheen in it, would have really liked to have seen what Steve McQueen could have done with it.

I think Sheen played a better "reasonable man in an unreasonable situation" compared to the "cool guy who sees some shit" that McQueen would have been. 

• Hook 'Em 3

19 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

I think Redux is on Netflix right now.

Correct.  I have it on DVD, but that seemed like a lot of work, so I streamed it.

I actually ordered this book yesterday of behind the scenes photos on the set by war photojournalist Chas Gaerretsen.  Still trying to find out which cameras and lenses he was shooting with.  Likely Nikon F.  The book is called Apocalypse Now: The Lost Photo Archive.  A few of the photos and interview:

https://www.insidehook.com/article/movies/photographer-chas-gerretsen-behind-scenes-apocalypse-now

I love the original movie. I didn't care for Redux, the French plantation scene in particular. I felt that Coppola takes some abstract, subtle ideas and just smacks you over the head with a 2x4 in that scene. I've only seen Redux once in the theater -- what else was added? Stealing the surfboard, finding the Bunnies after their helo crashed, the French plantation scene -- what else? Was the ending changed?

I agree with @Bateshorn's take above about the additions completely changing the movie's tone.

"Never get out of the boat. Absolutely, goddamn right. Unless you were going all the way. Kurtz got off of the boat. He split from the whole fucking program."

• Hook 'Em 1

On 11/22/2021 at 10:45 AM, C-Man said:

I love the original movie. I didn't care for Redux, the French plantation scene in particular. I felt that Coppola takes some abstract, subtle ideas and just smacks you over the head with a 2x4 in that scene. I've only seen Redux once in the theater -- what else was added? Stealing the surfboard, finding the Bunnies after their helo crashed, the French plantation scene -- what else? Was the ending changed?

I agree with @Bateshorn's take above about the additions completely changing the movie's tone.

"Never get out of the boat. Absolutely, goddamn right. Unless you were going all the way. Kurtz got off of the boat. He split from the whole fucking program."

It's been since the 90's that I sat down to watch the whole movie.  I saw redux last night....the scene at the bridge seemed drawn out from what I remember.  Perhaps they added some scenes their, like when they crawl through the trench and step on that guy before passing the 4 black guys squatting.

One of my top two favorites of all time. Great soundtrack as well. When they released the Director's Cut a couple of years ago, caught it three times in the theater. Incredible on the big screen. 

One thing I really like about it is that it actually feels like and resembles Vietnam and Cambodia. Have spent several years in both and the movie really catches that vibe (although it was shot in the Philippines and Dominican). 

Edited by Sweetnsourpoke
  • Fuck You 1

I rarely or never want a remake of a classic but it would be interesting to see a quality production of Apocalypse Now covered in 8-12 episodes. 
If it was announced, I would probably roll my eyes but also look forward to watching.

Ugh….I also would roll my eyes and talk all kinds of shit, but if it had the right cast and Denis Villeneuve directed it, I would give it a shot (begrudgingly).

22 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Ugh….I also would roll my eyes and talk all kinds of shit, but if it had the right cast and Denis Villeneuve directed it, I would give it a shot (begrudgingly).

But what if it was directed by Michael Bay and starred Will Smith and The Rock? 

Edit: And Ryan Reynolds as the photojournalist with Kurtz.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Rage+1 1

Little trivia - during filming Martin Sheen had a heart attack.  Since they were already behind schedule, they got his brother, Joe Estevez, to do some of the voice over narrations.  Coppola has said that he can no longer tell which parts are Martin and which parts are Joe.

Edited by UTCzech III

On 11/30/2021 at 9:28 AM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I rarely or never want a remake of a classic but it would be interesting to see a quality production of Apocalypse Now covered in 8-12 episodes. 

If it was announced, I would probably roll my eyes but also look forward to watching.

Not with the same main characters, but in the same universe. Get that guy who did season 1 of True Detective.

• 1 year later...

Itching to watch on of my favorites for the millionth time. I still haven’t seen the director’s cut and really should fix that. It seems only to be streaming on Alamo. Does one cast it to their tv or what?

also, one of y’all 1%ers should buy me a bottle of martell cordon bleu. Just sayin. 

The right version was released. I've seen Redux 2 or 3 times now and always feel like the extra length drags it down more than it adds to the story. His Final Cut version is not as long as Redux but adds some additional content you might like. Personally I think the best use of time is to watch the original release version and the fascinating documentary of the making of the film.

Edited by GhostOfTomJoad
  • Like 1

The right version was released. I've seen Redux 2 or 3 times now and always feel like the extra length drags it down more than it adds to the story. His Final Cut version is not as long as Redux but adds some additional content you might like. Personally I think the best use of time is to watch the original release version and the fascinating documentary of the making of the film.

I have seen the original cut countless times and of course it was the first one I saw back in high school. Got lucky and saw Redux in a nice old theater in DC in 2001. I actually love both versions but feel like I have to see the Final Cut as it’s been a favorite movie of mine for many years.

If you like photography I highly suggest this book. Some interesting stories told in it as well.

https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=31398355364&ref_=ps_ggl_17721428148&cm_mmc=ggl-_-US_Shopp_Trade_20to50-_-product_id=COM9783791388083USED-_-keyword=&gclid=Cj0KCQjwxYOiBhC9ARIsANiEIfaaf3UfC1ZKyLWzYMrPDv2hn61pKrpCgEHEteXR1dMrkbXUxPGBGi4aAslNEALw_wcB