Texas Recruiting Notes 2025: Now We Have a Machine Gun

texifornia

Crystal Ball forecasting five underclassmen to Texas

Hank South

Spoiler

Crystal Ball forecasting five underclassmen to Texas

Hank South

It’s a new-look recruiting timeline with juniors now able to hear from college coaches on Aug. 1 instead of the traditional Sept. 1 marker. We’ve seen countless 2025 prospects report contact with the Texas staff since midnight, and likely more to come. With the Longhorns coming off a big visitors event last week, one that featured a number of underclassmen, I take a stab at five new Crystal Ball projections for the cycle. 

Tyler Thomas, OT, Dickinson

Tyler Thomas had himself a big summer, one that featured stops at Texas (twice), Texas Tech, Oklahoma, Houston and Texas A&M. He told Horns247 after his visit to Austin last week he was “leaning” to the Longhorns, but didn’t consider himself committed. With that, I’m predicting Thomas to end up in this class. When that could come remains to be seen, but UT certainly has the edge.

Confidence level: 7

Jordon Davison, 4-star RB, Santa Ana (Calif.) Mater Dei

Davison's made the journey to Austin several times throughout his recruitment, including a stop last week with some Mater Dei teammates. We’ve seen the result of Texas running backs coach Tashard Choice locking in on his top targets — they end up in Burnt Orange. I don’t see any reason that Davison’s recruitment won’t currently finish with the same result.

“Just the development and the future I know they’re going to have, especially in the backfield,” Davison told Horns247 last week of the Longhorns. “I would love to play with a couple of those guys. Those guys are very good players. I always want to play with the best of the best. I feel like they’ll push me every day to get better.”

Confidence level: 7

Caleb Chester, CB, Fort Bend Marshall

You want a recruit that could see his stock skyrocket over the next two seasons? Look no further. Chester holds over two dozen offers, and has heavy interest from programs all over the country. Sources close feel when all is said and done this could end up a Texas-Texas A&M battle, and with the work the Longhorns staff has put in early with the in-state DB, I like UT’s chances at the moment.

Confidence level: 6

Landon Rink, 4-star DL, Cy-Fair

A Texas legacy, Rink says his family ties to the Longhorns have no impact on his decision. But even without the Burnt Orange in his blood, the Longhorns are a popular pick to land Rink.

“I would say that Texas is definitely one of my top schools right now, but it’s not just because my dad went there, it's because they’ve showed me how good of a program they are,” Rink told Horns247 last week.

Other schools in the mix include Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Oregon, and Texas A&M

Confidence level: 8

Bonus 2026-er

Javian Osborne, RB, Forney

He’s only going into his sophomore year, but you can bet Osborne will be among the top-rated running backs in the country when all is said and done. A growing offer list that features Texas, Oklahoma, TCU, Texas Tech, and others, Osborne was on campus last week for Texas’ pool party, and raved about the visit.

“Coach Sark, he’s an amazing coach, man. I feel like you can really build a relationship with him. Coach Choice is one outstanding person. I feel like I can really relate to him. He’s people person.”

Confidence level: 6

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Lol Gerry literally posted this today:

Dakorien Moore, WR, Duncanville (Texas) High – 2025
On3 Industry Ranking: No. 10 (5-star)
The why: Texas has a lot of factors in their corner, including strong family connections to Austin. LSU and USC are threats to pull the upset.

24 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Probably just ratcheting up our NIL offer. Isn’t he and his family super close to some other commits family? Maybe Rubell? 

2 minutes ago, BornAndRaised said:

I took it to mean he would flip Moore in a month or less, not that he was threatening to flip to LSU.

Right, I took Simmons' comment - and Sydney's - to apply to flipping Moore.  But perhaps Sydney was referring to Simmons. 

JJR and Simmons are close friends, I believe.  JJR and his mom also tweet Moore, but Mama JJR tweets most commits/targets, so may not mean much.

In his commitment comments, when a recruit says this - "Of course, I'm still going to be open because I've got two years left in my recruitment," Moore said. "Anything can happen, but right now I'm locked in on The Boot." - I suppose the recruitment is not exactly done.  So we'll see.

• Hook 'Em 1

Right, I took Simmons' comment - and Sydney's - to apply to flipping Moore.  But perhaps Sydney was referring to Simmons. 
JJR and Simmons are close friends, I believe.  JJR and his mom also tweet Moore, but Mama JJR tweets most commits/targets, so may not mean much.
In his commitment comments, when a recruit says this - "Of course, I'm still going to be open because I've got two years left in my recruitment," Moore said. "Anything can happen, but right now I'm locked in on The Boot." - I suppose the recruitment is not exactly done.  So we'll see.

I thought IT mentioned several times that JJR’s mom and Moore’s mom are lifelong best friends and Moore’s mom is from Austin.
  • Hook 'Em 2

• texifornia changed the title to Texas Recruiting Notes 2025: Now We Have a Machine Gun