Texas Recruiting Notes 2025: Now We Have a Machine Gun

texifornia

1 hour ago, Hornlover said:

According to Hank South, it's Voster Gilbert

Ya I bit the bullet as a relatively younger person to look up who he was. LinkedIn (there were no other google results) says he was there from 92-94 so I checked the roster those years and he was never on it so we're gonna need a little more info on what the deal is

6 minutes ago, Teryor said:

Ya I bit the bullet as a relatively younger person to look up who he was. LinkedIn (there were no other google results) says he was there from 92-94 so I checked the roster those years and he was never on it so we're gonna need a little more info on what the deal is

I'm guessing his dad went to UT, but was not involved with any of the major men's sports.

7 minutes ago, texifornia said:

What if, and this is a wild thought, his dad attended Texas to attend classes and get a degree, and ended up moving to Atlanta for work.

I've wanted to see one of these for awhile and the payoff made me laugh when I read Teryor's post. 98% of our alumni base were only playing school while on campus. 

"we're gonna need a little more info on what the deal is" - I picture Teryor googling for digital evidence from old DMN top 100s and Dave Campbell from 1990/1991 for further evidence of who this mystery scholarship man must have been. BO&W has likely already tweeted at the kid trying to demand more info on his dad's playing background.

4 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I've wanted to see one of these for awhile and the payoff made me laugh when I read Teryor's post. 98% of our alumni base were only playing school while on campus. 

"we're gonna need a little more info on what the deal is" - I picture Teryor googling for digital evidence from old DMN top 100s and Dave Campbell from 1990/1991 for further evidence of who this mystery scholarship man must have been. BO&W has likely already tweeted at the kid trying to demand more info on his dad's playing background.

I'll take the L and admit I interpreted the quote as him being part of the football team. It is weird to name the dad as if it was someone others would have known though but the total effort was about 2 minutes. 

Checked the visitor list for today just to see if Baylor had decided to make it a bigger visitor weekend just to try and save Aranda's job with a hail mary. Fasusi and Kelvion Riggins the only one of relevance to us in football. Tre Johnson will be there which won't have as much of an effect I'd imagine.

Edited by Teryor

2 minutes ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

It's hard hitting analysis like this that proves the value of keeping those NFL OL friendships alive.

Whatever, I was being nice - watch the highlights and then imagine him trying to block Simmons. Come back and tell me what YOU think.

Fasusi is the prize OL for this class, 5* OT out of Lewisville, and it looks like we are in a good spot for him. 

It'll be interesting to see how things shake up after that.  You have a couple other high rated OT's in-state in the Denton Ryan kid and Lamont Rogers.  Tyler Thomas already has a Texas crystal ball (unranked OT out of Dickinson) although he projects more to interior.  And this isn't even factoring in OOS guys.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Chili dog said:

I’m not sure I get your take. He didn’t look uncoordinated. His feet weren’t bad. He lacks some flexibility and knee-bend, but he kept his feet moving really well in those highlights and stayed on his blocks a long time. He’s actually a decent technician. Good hand fit inside the shoulders, got outside quickly to seal the edge, didn’t cross over dropping in pass pro, kept great separation from the defender in pass pro, pulled well, etc. He got on smaller defenders and stayed on them without holding, which is difficult for someone who isn’t coordinated.

You say he’d have trouble blocking Simmons. No shit? So you’re saying he doesn’t look like a Kelvin Banks-type generational talent. If that’s what we’re supposed to be waiting on, good luck filling a recruiting class. I think the guy looks like a take, especially if we’re looking to move him inside. He’s got a nasty streak, too. Not saying he’s a day-one starter, but I’m fine with the offer. 

I'm not saying he would have trouble blocking Simmons, I'm saying it would be funny to watch him try. It is pretty obvious that Flood likes big guys who can move followed by big guys who can't move. He is in the latter group. Maybe he will develop and maybe he won't.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Chili dog said:

He’s actually a decent technician. Good hand fit inside the shoulders, got outside quickly to seal the edge, didn’t cross over dropping in pass pro, kept great separation from the defender in pass pro, pulled well, etc.

Yeah that tackle pull ~2 minutes in was  good. The hand-chop to throwdown at 1:40 was awesome. Everything he is doing looks well-coached and well-executed. Obviously not going to win Dancing With the Stars, but a line built out of dudes like that will take you places. I'm down.

The Nickelson tape is pretty one-dimensional, a bunch of straight-ahead double-team bullying. Christian's tape is varied.

• Hook 'Em 1