The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

Called NFA department yesterday. My suppressor is still pending from 6/13 process date. Lady said average was 10 months now. Go on the NFA tracking websites and forums and guys who processed in May are receiving their stamp notifications over the last few weeks so I’m hopeful the NFA was just feeding me a line to get me to not call for a bit. That being said a guy found some stats on what was processed in the spring and it looked like they only processed 8 forms in all of March. EIGHT. That’s absolutely absurd regardless of pandemic. 

Can’t help be feel that and restriction is an infringement. Hopefully I track to get approval in December and the government lady is just being a lazy government lady. 

While it isn’t guaranteed, the times currently are at about 160days on form 4s, both trust and individual.

I’ve been following it like a hawk on Reddit and arfcom, my first from last year approved this spring the times were banging about 200 days and I was right on that at at 204 days. That’s minus those curve buster months where form 4s were being rushed through in like 45 days...

Im pending as of 5/27 on my current can, hoping if all goes well I’ll have mine at the end of October.

4 hours ago, Armybrat said:

E5FDAA04-F024-4856-8397-59A906040B98.jpeg

This is the best gun that has been posted on surly/shaggy.  Love seeing it when it makes an appearance.

4 hours ago, Speedtrucker said:

While it isn’t guaranteed, the times currently are at about 160days on form 4s, both trust and individual.

I’ve been following it like a hawk on Reddit and arfcom, my first from last year approved this spring the times were banging about 200 days and I was right on that at at 204 days. That’s minus those curve buster months where form 4s were being rushed through in like 45 days...

Im pending as of 5/27 on my current can, hoping if all goes well I’ll have mine at the end of October.

Awesome to see/hear this as it gives me hope.  I can't find anything to substantiate a 10 month lead time and i'm seeing much shorter as you describe.  10 months made me rage as I was sitting there realizing that my suppressor/gun configuration could be made illegal by 1/22 and i'm out $2k.  I'm hopeful to get this by december so I can have it in hand before any inauguration that might happen. 

Please post when you get your notice.  I'd love to track it like you.  Based on 160 days I should be 11/20 so hopefully I have a nice Xmas gift.  Jealous you might have yours before the chaos.

14 hours ago, Jkwellborn said:

Huh?

Not to get political but certain candidates for president have stated that assault style weapons would be banned in their first days in office.  I bought a 300 blk integrally suppressed upper.  We've had assault weapons bans before, I am worried that I don't get my approval in time and my purchase is banned before it ever touches my hands.  Meaning that I can't even claim it went into the lake because the ATFE never approves me.

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

Not to get political but certain candidates for president have stated that assault style weapons would be banned in their first days in office.  I bought a 300 blk integrally suppressed upper.  We've had assault weapons bans before, I am worried that I don't get my approval in time and my purchase is banned before it ever touches my hands.  Meaning that I can't even claim it went into the lake because the ATFE never approves me.

And how would they even do that? I don't want to cloak room this (and I know you don't want to either), but gun owners need to stop being so gullible. It creates shortages and drives up prices. It's good for manufactures and sellers but very bad for us. 
Yes, a new president and a new senate would probably move towards common sense reforms that most people support (including me) and wouldn't effect many on this board: red flag laws, better enforcement of existing laws, closing registration loopholes, etc. 
Yes, it's even theoretically possible that after a protracted fight at the cost of a metric shit-ton of effort they could pass some form of assault weapons ban, and the cost of capital for that effort would be all the things Democratic voters care more about than gun control - healthcare, small business rescue, climate change, etc. etc. The collateral damage from such an effort could possibly cost the Democrats the senate in 2022 adn they know it. There may be mouth noises but it would be extremely stupid to actually pursue early. 

And look, worst case: I remember the last "ban". You know what you could ALWAYS buy during that period? The banned weapons - AK-47s, AR-15s etc. They were never out of circulation. In the extraordinarily unlikely even that they move that fast  and this doesn't work out you'll still be able to cobble something together./

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Hook 'Em 1

No CR disclaimer etc, but it could happen overnight if they win everything.

And just to cleanse my palate of that, does anybody have a Salvo 12 for their shotgun?  With these shorter wait times, I'm tempted.

Edited by Lat22

18 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Slightly OT, but I thought kind of interesting.

I was reminded recently of the scene of Atticus Finch and the rabid dog.

Atticus.gif&f=1&nofb=1

I had never noticed that the rifle was a Krag carbine.  Supposedly, that side-box magazine makes for the smoothest bolt-action repeater known.

Best I've ever utilized was the Lee Enfield carbine in .303 with it's short throw SMLE bolt.  Butta'......

• Hook 'Em 1

49 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

And how would they even do that? I don't want to cloak room this (and I know you don't want to either), but gun owners need to stop being so gullible. It creates shortages and drives up prices. It's good for manufactures and sellers but very bad for us. 
Yes, a new president and a new senate would probably move towards common sense reforms that most people support (including me) and wouldn't effect many on this board: red flag laws, better enforcement of existing laws, closing registration loopholes, etc. 
Yes, it's even theoretically possible that after a protracted fight at the cost of a metric shit-ton of effort they could pass some form of assault weapons ban, and the cost of capital for that effort would be all the things Democratic voters care more about - healthcare, small business rescue, climate change, etc. etc. The collateral damage from such an effort could possibly cost the Democrats the senate in 2022 adn they know it. There may be mouth noises but it would be extremely stupid to actually pursue early. 

And look, worst case: I remember the last "ban". You know what you could ALWAYS buy during that period? The banned weapons - AK-47s, AR-15s etc. They were never out of circulation. In the extraordinarily unlikely even that they move that fast  and this doesn't work out you'll still be able to cobble something together./

Not to CR this up, but if you want to set up a firearm regulation discussion on these issues on the hobby board, I can shed some light on each.  

17 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Not to CR this up, but if you want to set up a firearm regulation discussion on these issues on the hobby board, I can shed some light on each.  

Eesh, I'm not sure I do. I'd prefer you do here, if only because this is the gun owner thread and not the rando-progressive-who-doesn't-know-anything-about-guns-and-sees-a-thread-title anger thread.  I'd like to see your perspective without somebody opining about about theres no reason a citizen should own a semi-automatic.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

Eesh, I'm not sure I do. I'd prefer you do here, if only because this is the gun owner thread and not the rando-progressive-who-doesn't-know-anything-about-guns-and-sees-a-thread-title anger thread.  I'd like to see your perspective without somebody opining about about theres no reason a citizen should own a semi-automatic.

Better enforcement - this is key and to me, illustrates you have had prior discussions in good faith.  This is the single biggest issue.  Layering on new laws when we don't have the resources to enforce the ones we have now.  Without granular specifics on how to address this, no other comments are even worth entertaining.  Thousands of federal laws, tens of thousands of regional.  It's a mess.  If some of these laws are no longer effective, then let's address this before ANY other legislation talks need to happen.  

Red Flag Laws - I understand the intent, but I have issues of due process with these.  Akin to flagging speech that so many have issues with.  It's a constitutional concern and the degree that they can easily weaponized and utilized by bad faith actors.  I do not have issues with friends/family being able to petition the courts.  I have issues with how due process is/would be handled at the time the accusations are levied, and not months later after the red tape has taken it's course.  Much like the cashless bail proposals that force people to languish in "the system" while the wheels turn painfully slow.

Registration loopholes - there is no loop-hole.  All FFL dealers are required by law to follow all the federal and state regulations.  What there is, is the ability to facilitate a face-to-face transaction between citizens.  Per the ATF guidelines:

shall not include a person who makes occasional sales, exchanges, or purchases of firearms for the enhancement of a personal collection or for a hobby, or who sells all or part of his personal collection of firearms (18 U.S.C. § 921(a)(21)(C));

High volume private dealers, by law, cannot exist.  The only way to formally regulate transactions such as what @Armybrat does with his children and grandchildren or myself with my kids is a national gun registry.  What does exist, however, is a federal exemption for sales between two private, non-FFL residents of the same state, regardless of whether that transaction happens at a gun show or not. The identity of the parties involved in the transaction, not the venue of the sale, is what matters under federal law. This federal exemption makes perfect sense: there’s no federal nexus for a purely private transaction between two private individuals who reside in the same state. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

But it is already against the law to knowingly transfer a firearm to a prohibited person.

Look at what happened in Chicago several years ago when a legal person did straw purchases for 60 or more criminals and was caught. He plea bargained it down to a misdemeanor.

Not to mention it is a crime to lie on the 4473 form, but the feds almost never prosecute the tens of thousands caught doing so because their courts are too busy.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

But it is already against the law to knowingly transfer a firearm to a prohibited person.

Look at what happened in Chicago several years ago when a legal person did straw purchases for 60 or more criminals and was caught. He plea bargained it down to a misdemeanor.

Not to mention it is a crime to lie on the 4473 form, but the feds almost never prosecute the tens of thousands caught doing so because their courts are too busy.

Yep, all of which fall under the first and most important point - addressing gaps in the current process before layering on even more.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/1/2020 at 9:57 AM, Bozo_Casanova said:

Yes, it's even theoretically possible that after a protracted fight at the cost of a metric shit-ton of effort they could pass some form of assault weapons ban, and the cost of capital for that effort would be all the things Democratic voters care more about than gun control - healthcare, small business rescue, climate change, etc. etc. The collateral damage from such an effort could possibly cost the Democrats the senate in 2022 adn they know it. There may be mouth noises but it would be extremely stupid to actually pursue early. 

The difference with this deal is that the ATFE has my purchase in jail.  It would be nothing for any president to just halt administrative efforts at clearing gun owners for suppressors.  I don't want to dick with that regardless of who is or isn't in office (that's why I didn't want to cloak this thread).  I want my property out of the government's hands as soon as possible.  Political and regulatory risk on that might change in the next several months.  I'd rather not have to worry about the risk that I just threw away $2100 on a gun that I might never get to touch.

It really isn't about politics or being able to find loopholes.  It's about not having to dick with that stuff.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Jhawk said:

The difference with this deal is that the ATFE has my purchase in jail.  It would be nothing for any president to just halt administrative efforts at clearing gun owners for suppressors.  I don't want to dick with that regardless of who is or isn't in office (that's why I didn't want to cloak this thread).  I want my property out of the government's hands as soon as possible.  Political and regulatory risk on that might change in the next several months.  I'd rather not have to worry about the risk that I just threw away $2100 on a gun that I might never get to touch.

It really isn't about politics or being able to find loopholes.  It's about not having to dick with that stuff.

I understand. I just think you are likely to be OK. Sorry if my answer came off as harsh, I had just gotten back from lookingt at empty shelves at Academy. 

• Hook 'Em 1

What gun are you talking about? Did you get one with an integral suppressor?

Revolver has been purchased. The versatility of the S&W Governor won me over. shoots .410, .45LC and .45ACP (using moonclips), and unlike the Taurus Judge it has a six round cylinder.

despite the size, it was comfortable to handle and surprisingly light at 34oz. 

Now I need to go shoot some clays. 

53 minutes ago, TexasGary said:

Weekly Friday Academy update:

I arrived at the North Frisco Academy at 7:55am this morning.  There were already 25 people in line.  They did get some 9mm ammo in but it was gone by the time it was my turn.  I stood in line for over an hour and got nothing.

At the academy in North Austin I got the last box each of #6 .410 and .45LC this afternoon. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jkwellborn said:

What gun are you talking about? Did you get one with an integral suppressor?

Yeah. Liberty suppressors leonidas 300 blk integrally suppressed upper. Looks and feels amazing the 5 minutes I got to hold it before it went into my ffl’s safe. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Lat22 said:

Why don’t you guys buy ammo online? I’m really curious. Why rush down to Academy at the crack of dawn when the brown truck will drop it at your door? www.ammoseek.com

The prices per round online just haven't been worth it lately and ammoseek's alert system is pretty whacky. That said, I am not interested in standing in line. I just need to be more diligent about checking the site. 

Why don’t you guys buy ammo online? I’m really curious. Why rush down to Academy at the crack of dawn when the brown truck will drop it at your door? www.ammoseek.com

Lol. Is this real?

Academy - not jacking up prices.
Online - jacking up prices 700%

I bought some 300BO at Academy that was $19.99. Regular price. Online I saw one place had it for $59.99.

Convenience isn’t the issue. Pricing is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sorry. I have a life. Those prices are high, but I have found cheap ammo on ammoseek. If you NEED ammo, you can get it. If you want to go down to Red’s and poke holes in paper, then wait in line at Academy. I’d rather have .75 a pew ammo and not need it than not have .22 a round ammo and need it. 

Did some shooting on a new setup this afternoon; 520 and 620 yards with some stainless steel gongs I salvaged off a project.

Was able to shoot some video with a phone skope through binos as well.

a019dbbf28c0dcd0e82e9009b01348a1.jpg

158e15ecf74967bcdf6494e29e78b2b4.jpg

It was fun to check the zero on my 300wby/swaro z6 at 100, then check the app and turn up the BT 21 clicks and hit the 520 yard steel.

The 300 win mag and 300 wby went thru the 1/2” stainless like butter at 520 yards. It held up to the 270win.

4fbb146f16e056a9cf5a654d66b53b1e.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

On 10/3/2020 at 6:42 PM, Armybrat said:

Cool .22 magnum offering by North American - the Anti-venom:

D2DB92CE-24C0-4688-9790-77218E1ADB53.jpeg

Those are fun.  Buddy has one.  Spit out one hell of a flame from the barrel for such a small revolver.  Reloading sucks, as you have to take the entire cylinder out, but whatever. 

Steve Earl gets it:  "shoot as fast as lightning, but it loads a might slow......it'll get you into trouble, but it can't get you out"

9 hours ago, 686 said:

Did some shooting on a new setup this afternoon; 520 and 620 yards with some stainless steel gongs I salvaged off a project.

Was able to shoot some video with a phone skope through binos as well.

a019dbbf28c0dcd0e82e9009b01348a1.jpg

158e15ecf74967bcdf6494e29e78b2b4.jpg

It was fun to check the zero on my 300wby/swaro z6 at 100, then check the app and turn up the BT 21 clicks and hit the 520 yard steel.

The 300 win mag and 300 wby went thru the 1/2” stainless like butter at 520 yards. It held up to the 270win.

4fbb146f16e056a9cf5a654d66b53b1e.jpg

I know it's the camera angle, but man, looks like the barrel of that rifle in the lead-sled is 28-30 inches long!  

And isn't long range shooting fun.  600+ is about where I tap out due to the limitations of the rifle/round I'm using, but man it's a blast.  

Edited by BabaYaga

13 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Those are fun.  Buddy has one.  Spit out one hell of a flame from the barrel for such a small revolver.  Reloading sucks, as you have to take the entire cylinder out, but whatever. 

Steve Earl gets it:  "shoot as fast as lightning, but it loads a might slow......it'll get you into trouble, but it can't get you out"

Yeah, they are neat little blasters, but not really suitable for SD..... only as a last resort backup getoffme option. But better than the proverbial sharp stick.
Bought mine 35 years ago.

2CCBF3A4-BD1D-4B5F-8DC9-4AADB433CCC2.jpeg

61EB9D6C-166B-4321-BA35-2C57EF2B9BA8.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Yeah, they are neat little blasters, but not really suitable for SD..... only as a last resort backup getoffme option. But better than the proverbial sharp stick.
Bought mine 35 years ago.

2CCBF3A4-BD1D-4B5F-8DC9-4AADB433CCC2.jpeg

61EB9D6C-166B-4321-BA35-2C57EF2B9BA8.jpeg

Yeah, horrible SD option, but better than nothing.  I will say, having seen what my Kel Tec PMR30 in .22mag does to critters - I want NO part of that nasty little round.  

I know it's the camera angle, but man, looks like the barrel of that rifle in the lead-sled is 28-30 inches long!  
And isn't long range shooting fun.  600+ is about where I tap out due to the limitations of the rifle/round I'm using, but man it's a blast.  

Yeah, camera distortion, but it is a 26” barrel with a brake, so about 27.5”.

I need to upgrade the glass on a few of my rifles - shooting with the Z6 was all fun/no work; definitely more work with the cheaper scopes doing holdover and less eye relief/clarity/focus issues with my eyes.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Well, I screwed up and bought a Sako 16 chambered in 7.82 Patriot by Lazzeroni.  It was NIB and I got it for less than what it retailed for back in 2011 before Sako discontinued their rifles chambered for Lazzeroni.

Now I'm stuck.  Do I finally take the plunge and start to reload (at the most costly time in history)?  Gotta put nice glass on this since it is a long range laser and I have nothing sitting around unused.  That's not cheap.

I do this shit over and over.....get a "bargain" that ends up costing me a small fortune.

All my good deals seem to be like one night stands that turn into a costly marriage.

10 minutes ago, Reagan1k said:

Well, I screwed up and bought a Sako 16 chambered in 7.82 Patriot by Lazzeroni.  It was NIB and I got it for less than what it retailed for back in 2011 before Sako discontinued their rifles chambered for Lazzeroni.

Now I'm stuck.  Do I finally take the plunge and start to reload (at the most costly time in history)?  Gotta put nice glass on this since it is a long range laser and I have nothing sitting around unused.  That's not cheap.

I do this shit over and over.....get a "bargain" that ends up costing me a small fortune.

All my good deals seem to be like one night stands that turn into a costly marriage.

Congrats.  Man, I remember those.  Barrel burner, that much is true.  It's a smoke show.  I do think there is ammo available to get used to the gun.  From what I hear, it's a .300 WSM on steroids.  Put some glass on her, take her on a test drive, see what you think.  I know a lot of people that just love to reload for the sake of reloading.  They get to disconnect and just nerd out on all the varying load types, etc., so you might love it. 

• Like 1