The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

2 hours ago, TexasEd said:

For most people controlling their breathing is enough to improve accuracy but the farther the shot the more every little thing matters 

Well, I can’t see diddly shit anyway, in spite of cataract surgery.
Have the far sighted lens implanted, so using readers to look through the sights doesn’t work very well.

Any shooting I do is just at handgun range - 25 yards max.

I always wanted a .260 rem platform.  I never really got into the high-end, long distance rigs, but I did some training with a good friend in AL that is the sniper for the SWAT team.  In no time he had me knocking the caps off water bottles at 360yds.  We had a 700 and a Tikka (that he much preferred).  Both in .308.  Those guys that compete have such control.  They just lock in, everything slows down, heart rate/breathing, everything. 

260 rem is a great round.
  • Hook 'Em 2

12 hours ago, Armybrat said:

Yoga?

I know it sounds far fetched. But I started doing yoga and practicing meditation because other guys who shot better scores were doing it. I have no data to support the impact of incorporating the practice into my shooting, but I believe it made a difference. Especially on really hot humid days where my concentration waned when I would get uncomfortable.

That said, if a guy was consistently beating me, and he chewed tobacco while wearing an eyepatch, I would probably have done that too.

• Hook 'Em 2

13 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

I always wanted a .260 rem platform.  I never really got into the high-end, long distance rigs, but I did some training with a good friend in AL that is the sniper for the SWAT team.  In no time he had me knocking the caps off water bottles at 360yds.  We had a 700 and a Tikka (that he much preferred).  Both in .308.  Those guys that compete have such control.  They just lock in, everything slows down, heart rate/breathing, everything. 

Tikka is an under appreciated platform. One could argue it’s basically a Sako.

Though like a HOWA the barrels are reverse threaded, which requires a smith who has the correct setup to re-barrel one.

• Hook 'Em 2

9 hours ago, 59 Burst said:

Tikka is an under appreciated platform. One could argue it’s basically a Sako.

Though like a HOWA the barrels are reverse threaded, which requires a smith who has the correct setup to re-barrel one.

To be fair, SWAT guys train at shorter distances as most shots are in an urban setting, they still have to be capable of making longer shots.  His frustration with the Rem 700 is it's lack of consistency.  There's always (his words) a "flyer".  You'll have a cloverleaf cluster, then there's that one MFing hanger outside the group.  The Tikka isn't quite as surgical, but the groups are consistent day in and day out.  

*HOWA is such an underappreciated line.  Big fan.  

• Hook 'Em 1

A newer hi power, made in Belgium, but assembled in Portugal. But, I’m a big fan of the platform. I absolutely love how it sets up in your hand. 
IMG_4630.thumb.jpeg.ef7fe665cd375640d9f8c854e89e7240.jpeg

My next purchase will be the Springfield SA-35.

I regret selling my surplus hi power every time I look at the safe.
  • Hook 'Em 3

On 9/25/2023 at 3:53 PM, CHIEF said:

Yep, Mrs. CHIEF carries that five shot .38 S&W Airweight. She can hit a pie plate all five times at 5-10 feet, that is really all women need to be proficient. Bad guys are trying to rape, assault, rob women, not immediately kill them.  Mrs. CHIEF is in a pretty rough part of Houston for work, occasionally. She keeps the pistol in her purse and her finger close to the trigger while walking into the hotel. She has enough nerve to let someone get within a couple of feet, and calm enough to make sure she is going to hit her target and shoot through the front of her purse. 

A close family friend that teaches CCL classes said the statistics bear this scenario out an overwhelming amount of the times of crimes against women.   He recommended a revolver, as it is easier to operate, load, and unload more safely without causing an unintentional discharge.

CHIEF

so, if I understand you correctly; she keeps her hand on the jammie keeps her finger near the trigger?

23 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

To be fair, SWAT guys train at shorter distances as most shots are in an urban setting, they still have to be capable of making longer shots.  His frustration with the Rem 700 is it's lack of consistency.  There's always (his words) a "flyer".  You'll have a cloverleaf cluster, then there's that one MFing hanger outside the group.  The Tikka isn't quite as surgical, but the groups are consistent day in and day out.  

*HOWA is such an underappreciated line.  Big fan.  

Back some years ago Dicks sporting goods was selling Howa barreled actions for around $450. I bought a .223, .22-250 and a .204. I Bought three Houge stocks off of eBay for next to nothing. Ended up with three great rifles at a great price. I love the brand. The fact they were also making barreled actions for Weatherby and Smith and Wesson rifle's just confirmed to me they were legit. Affordability, accurate and great fit and finish. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, 59 Burst said:

Back some years ago Dicks sporting goods was selling Howa barreled actions for around $450. I bought a .223, .22-250 and a .204. I Bought three Houge stocks off of eBay for next to nothing. Ended up with three great rifles at a great price. I love the brand. The fact they were also making barreled actions for Weatherby and Smith and Wesson rifle's just confirmed to me they were legit. Affordability, accurate and great fit and finish. 

What twist rate are they?  

4 minutes ago, Handcruser said:

SA-35 has had major issues. Most have been fixed but if I was buying a hi-power it wouldn’t be that one. That’s why I did thumbs down - not because of the platform.

Ahhh...I misunderstood.  I thought I recalled that you had said upthread that you disliked these guns...speaking of the BHP.

Ahhh...I misunderstood.  I thought I recalled that you had said upthread that you disliked these guns...speaking of the BHP.

You read that correctly. I don’t like them but others do and that’s totally fine. It’s a great gun - just doesn’t work for me.

I’m not a “I don’t like it so you shouldn’t either” guy.

6 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

What twist rate are they?  

The .223 is 1:8, but it has been re-barreled. The .22.250 and the .204 are both 1:12. 
I was looking on gunbroker and I noticed much has changed from Howa. Their line is far more extensive than I remember. But these three are blue 1500’s, all with heavy barrels. I love em, and because of the price point I don’t mind taking them in the field.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, 59 Burst said:

I've done the same.  HOWA action and Houge overmolded stock and created lights out accurate hunting rifles for next to nothing.

Their Mini-Action in 6.5 Grendel is a fantastic TX ranch rifle or truck gun.

I got a 22-250 HOWA Axiom years back and it'll shoot the eyelashes off a coyote if you wanted to.

• Hook 'Em 3

29 minutes ago, Reagan1k said:

I've done the same.  HOWA action and Houge overmolded stock and created lights out accurate hunting rifles for next to nothing.

Their Mini-Action in 6.5 Grendel is a fantastic TX ranch rifle or truck gun.

I got a 22-250 HOWA Axiom years back and it'll shoot the eyelashes off a coyote if you wanted to.

I love them. Here is one I bought as a complete rifle new (this one is in .308) that I have never fired. Still has the Howa sticker on the stock. This was probably 10 years ago? When the stainless thing was big.

IMG_4648.jpeg

1 hour ago, 59 Burst said:

The .223 is 1:8, but it has been re-barreled. The .22.250 and the .204 are both 1:12. 
I was looking on gunbroker and I noticed much has changed from Howa. Their line is far more extensive than I remember. But these three are blue 1500’s, all with heavy barrels. I love em, and because of the price point I don’t mind taking them in the field.

My 22-250 is 1:12 also.   Wish it was tighter so it could stabilize heavier grain pills.   I top out at 55gr.  I’d like a .223 with the 1:8 to push out 72gr black hills.   Those are great for Texas deer.   With mine I’ve killed dozens over the years with neck shots.  Never had one clear the feeder pin.   

• Hook 'Em 2

On 10/3/2023 at 5:33 PM, Armybrat said:

Well, I can’t see diddly shit anyway, in spite of cataract surgery.
Have the far sighted lens implanted, so using readers to look through the sights doesn’t work very well.

Any shooting I do is just at handgun range - 25 yards max.

Hell Brat, I don’t believe I even stand 25 yards when shooting a pistol? I have a couple of scoped pistols like a T/C Super 14 I may shoot at 50 yards. But, that’s on a bench using bags. Iron sights? Hell no. 

The Queen of my safe - a ~1993 Colt Python Elite .357 Magnum, 6” barrel, satin blue.  The Python Elites were built in the Colt Custom Shop and include target sights and a beaver tail hammer.  I decided I had to get one someday after seeing Al Lettieri, “Rudy”, use one in Sam Peckinpah’s “The Getaway”.

image.thumb.jpeg.5fcd0ebd91e7f268c264d46b26a09dc6.jpeg

Edited by Heisenberg
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Drool 4

I’m not offended. You have a point.

By the time my gun funds grow enough to buy, my interest may shift.

Till then, it’s on my list.

Sweet. FN’s version ain’t bad - but I am not the biggest fan of their stuff. I really like their 502 - that’s a great 22.

509 triggers are trash.

2 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

Don't forget Rick Grimes

65aa835e4bfea301b752eac88b39a308.gif

One of the auction houses did a study on Python pricing and they could demonstrate on the graph when that show came out.  The bump in interest and therefore value of vintage pythons spiked above the historic trend line and has remained there.

Similar movements have happened in the mil-surp market when certain vintage weapons were featured in the shooter games.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, Heisenberg said:

The Queen of my safe - a ~1993 Colt Python Elite .357 Magnum, 6” barrel, satin blue.  The Python Elites were built in the Colt Custom Shop and include target sights and a beaver tail hammer.  I decided I had to get one someday after seeing Al Lettieri, “Rudy”, use one in Sam Peckinpah’s “The Getaway”.

image.thumb.jpeg.5fcd0ebd91e7f268c264d46b26a09dc6.jpeg

Did you have any interest in getting the letter from Colt? Admittedly it can get a little expensive the older/higher value firearm you submit. But, it is a neat document to have around when sharing good bourbon with friends. 

13 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

are lever 357's widely available?  Who's making them because that sounds fucking awesome.

There are a crap-ton of modern and older models out there.  There are older Winnie's such as the 1873 and 1892 or newer options such as the Taylor's Alaska Take-down or Marlin 1894 CSBL.  I have a Henry .22lr Golden Boy.  They also have a .357 option

Thing about a .357 out of a longer barrel, you get a significant amount of performance upgrade.  With handloads, you can get "close" to a 30-30 in terms or velocity and terminal, kinetic energy.  It's easily a great Texas deer/hog gun under 100yds

Alaskan Take down

1.-Taylors-Company-1892-Alaskan-Takedown

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2