The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

42 minutes ago, Handcruser said:

P-10 would be my last choice and I’m a big CZ fan.

Scratch the 17 and go 47.

PDP’s are great - accurate and reliable.

VP9 is one of my favorites so I’d look at that.

Hk P30 might garner a look - great ergonomics. SA/da so something a little different.

P320 X series (maybe vtac) should get a look

I prefer 4” barrels but that’s just me. I like the way they point. Typically they are considered compacts but ignore that - that is old terminology.

I'll take a look at the 47.   I like the look over the 17.   The 47 is out and on shelves around me.  I've seen it for as little as $629 at Academy.

My only real concern on the Glock is the slide release.   Now, I don't see myself dumping my gun in the mud but the release isn't the best design.  

The VP9 and P30 were originally on my list but their price points are more than I want to spend. 

Brat, I think the CZ 75 is a great gun but it is a monster (weight wise) compared to others.   It's also on my list of things I am looking at but the weight is an issue as I want others in my household to be more comfortable with it.   The other issue for the CZ (as well as the Berretta 92FS that I'd love to have) is single/double action versus striker.   I'm very old school and still think guns like the M9 and 1911 are badass and I'd like to get one of each but no one else in my family would probably shoot them.  

1 hour ago, Armybrat said:

^^^^ Interesting ….. plus it looks like compatibility with a bunch of Glock mags.

Here’s a CZ for a decent price….

https://grabagun.com/firearms/handguns/semi-automatic-handguns/cz-75b-d-9mm-4-7-black-dl-2-16rd.html

But it is a lot heavier than the Glock and the proprietary mags are pricey.

Wish I could find one in a .40. I've got a 9mm but always wanted a .40 too

I'll take a look at the 47.   I like the look over the 17.   The 47 is out and on shelves around me.  I've seen it for as little as $629 at Academy.
My only real concern on the Glock is the slide release.   Now, I don't see myself dumping my gun in the mud but the release isn't the best design.  
The VP9 and P30 were originally on my list but their price points are more than I want to spend. 

So for clarity - are you talking about the slide lock? If you are talking about the lever that locks the slide back and enables you to release if after you e inserted another mag - then tell me what your concern is and (I’m pretty sure what it is) I’ll solve the problem for you.

Wow. Wonder if it is a single back door code for all their safes or if it is tied to the specific serial number. 

It has to be tied to the serial number - anything else would be more ludicrous than it already is.

Can you imagine disgruntled ex-employees knowing password123 opens all sold safes.

Fucking lolz - they’re done.

2 hours ago, Macanudo said:

Just replace it with the extended version. Everyone should do that and the extended mag release. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Handcruser said:

It has to be tied to the serial number - anything else would be more ludicrous than it already is.

Can you imagine disgruntled ex-employees knowing password123 opens all sold safes.

Fucking lolz - they’re done.

My safe has an SG manual combination dial lock.

After 20+ years of frequent use, the original combination changed to one digit off for all three numbers. 
So the Feebs might have some trouble snooping in my safe.

Of course they could always open it like they did the Branch Davidian “compound”. 😄

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Of course they could always open it like they did the Branch Davidian “compound”. 😄

That was my thoughts.  I’m sure if the FBI wants in, they are in.  But yeah, as far is theft is concerned someone knows how to break those serials down and it won’t take long to get out.  Whoopsies. 

2 hours ago, Handcruser said:

So for clarity - are you talking about the slide lock? If you are talking about the lever that locks the slide back and enables you to release if after you e inserted another mag - then tell me what your concern is and (I’m pretty sure what it is) I’ll solve the problem for you.

It's a none issue.   I looked at the 34 earlier and the stock release switch is better than the 17's.   But, I also looked at the Walther, Springfield and several others.   I liked something about everyone of them but the Walther and Echelon were my favorites.   The shop closest to home has a used Sig 226 for $500.   HPD officer turned it in and they think it might have 200-300 rounds through it.   I was not going to spend what a 226 should cost new but that used one is making me really think about it.  

It's a none issue.   I looked at the 34 earlier and the stock release switch is better than the 17's.   But, I also looked at the Walther, Springfield and several others.   I liked something about everyone of them but the Walther and Echelon were my favorites.   The shop closest to home has a used Sig 226 for $500.   HPD officer turned it in and they think it might have 200-300 rounds through it.   I was not going to spend what a 226 should cost new but that used one is making me really think about it.  

The 34 and 19m have the best one, and they’re available to purchase and easy to install.

Pdp’s are great. The aggressive front slide serrations tear my thumb up though when shooting.

Echelon is trying to copy sig I believe with a FCU across platforms. Time will tell if there are any issues with first gen design. Might be, might not but I’m not ready to trust my life with it.

200-300 rounds on a LE trade in is straight up lying unless it wasn’t a duty gun (which it prob wasn’t). If it isn’t a special variant I would think it would have way more rounds through it. If it had that low of a round count, $500 doesn’t make sense.

Sig 226 for $500 Is a great deal.

PDs will issue sides and there are officers that only qualify when they have to. Sidearms will go months without firing according to my retired APD cousin. Believe it or not, some cops are not gun nuts or care very little about range time. He never carried what he was issued. Instead he opted to carry a Glock G21 .45.

That being said, every used pistol I got off TGT “only had 250 rounds through it”. Right.

Also could have been an end of contract situation. A cop may have gotten a Sig P320 as part of a new contract so he sold his old carry.

The departments will also sell whole batches of unissued firearms if they change primary contracts. The first few Glock G22s I bought at GT distributors were department inventory that still had the manufacturer bronze paste or whatever that stuff was. Never fired, never cleaned.

Again, It’s a good buy. I have a 226 and it’s a great gun.

If I didn’t have a CZ I would shoot it a lot more than I do.

18 hours ago, Handcruser said:

200-300 rounds on a LE trade in is straight up lying unless it wasn’t a duty gun (which it prob wasn’t). If it isn’t a special variant I would think it would have way more rounds through it. If it had that low of a round count, $500 doesn’t make sense.

Snip

Edited by Da Fino
Never mind. Guy above me covered it.

Used vp9’s are $550-$600.

Can someone explain to me what the point of the Glock 47 really is with it's interchangeability?   I get that it allows one to swap out the 19 upper or 45 lower or whatever with the parts of the 47.   But why would someone do that?  It seems like a novelty to me.   

I am not a Glock fanboi or hater but it just seems like Glock made this gun to appeal to fanbois who want to talk more about how awesome their Glock's are.

So- here is what I would do.

I’d get the can in order. Look at silencershop and just stick with them. They’re great. They have specials all the time on cans that include a free tax stamp so that helps. Look at the rugged Alaskan 360ti. A little pricy but covers everything.

Thermals you can take home today. ATN is fine - they’re on the lower end usually but they work fine.

I really like Burris thermals.

Holosun has something coming out soon that looks super cool - I’ll bite on one for sure.

What is your budget?

Great advice from all here… depending on where this check comes in, I may go up to 4k for something like Burris, but I’ll absolutely get the can in now.

Heard good things before about SS on this thread. Would you recommend the retail location on research or just hitting a kiosk?

Great advice from all here… depending on where this check comes in, I may go up to 4k for something like Burris, but I’ll absolutely get the can in now.

Heard good things before about SS on this thread. Would you recommend the retail location on research or just hitting a kiosk?

Go to the store. Kiosks are just for fingerprinting really. At the store you can see all of the models and hold them.

30 cal
45 cal
22 cal

Those are the 3 silencers you should focus on unless you get the Alaskan 360 then that works for your 30 cal.

Holosun is releasing in q1 2024 their new thermal. Check that out.
  • Like 1

Can someone explain to me what the point of the Glock 47 really is with it's interchangeability?   I get that it allows one to swap out the 19 upper or 45 lower or whatever with the parts of the 47.   But why would someone do that?  It seems like a novelty to me.   
I am not a Glock fanboi or hater but it just seems like Glock made this gun to appeal to fanbois who want to talk more about how awesome their Glock's are.

It was done for border patrol I believe. But it makes total sense and will filter it’s way to other models.

There isn’t a reason really to get a 17 over a 47.

I kind of want a 45 but if I get the 47 I’ll have both because I already have a 19.

I dont shoot glocks as well as I shoot other things. I just don’t. But if I was being airdropped into Ukraine tonight I’d take a gen 3 19. And anyone who says otherwise is a fool.

Not having a 19 in your arsenal is almost criminal.
  • Hook 'Em 2

Also if your going to eventually buy multiple cans just get the big trust.
  • Like 2

I was recently in the market for a full size 9mm to begin experiementing with pistol suppressors and red dot sights.  Depending on the results, the pistol might eventually be used for HD.  I looked at the threaded and optic ready versions of the Sig P320, FN 509, Walther PDP, VP9, Springfield XDM, M&P 2.0, and so on.  Then I stumbled across the Beretta APX A1 Tactical at a gun show.  The ergonomics/feel blew me away as did the value.  A little research turned up glowing reviews of the APX A1 platform with one word appearing over and over - “reliable.”  I found it for $499 at GrabAGun.  On top of that, Beretta has a $100 rebate on all APX A1 pistols.  That brings the price to $399, or 1/2 to 1/3 the price of others on my list of potentials.

I picked it up from GrabAGun today.  Optics ready, 4.8” threaded barrel, suppressor sights, three 21 round mags, three interchangeable back straps.  It’s pretty damn sweet.  

E934DA1F-66CC-42E3-96ED-532C50D2E61F.thumb.jpeg.817bdeebe0fab37956fb8bdd5b79a427.jpeg

GrabAGun has the APX A1 full-size at $299 after rebate - that’s just crazy good value from my POV.

@Macanudo the APX A1 might be worth a look.  @Handcruser what are your thoughts on the APX A1 family?

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/5/2023 at 10:12 PM, Party_Taco said:

It’s time to gift myself something nice, so I’m thinking either a can or a thermal scope for the SCAR-17, both of which could be useful for hogs this fall.

Thoughts on the best place to purchase either in Austin? Never gone the NFA route, but willing to do so with the right dealer.

Nice humble brag there.  :)

I was recently in the market for a full size 9mm to begin experiementing with pistol suppressors and red dot sights.  Depending on the results, the pistol might eventually be used for HD.  I looked at the threaded and optic ready versions of the Sig P320, FN 509, Walther PDP, VP9, Springfield XDM, M&P 2.0, and so on.  Then I stumbled across the Beretta APX A1 Tactical at a gun show.  The ergonomics/feel blew me away as did the value.  A little research turned up glowing reviews of the APX A1 platform with one word appearing over and over - “reliable.”  I found it for $499 at GrabAGun.  On top of that, Beretta has a $100 rebate on all APX A1 pistols.  That brings the price to $399, or 1/2 to 1/3 the price of others on my list of potentials.
I picked it up from GrabAGun today.  Optics ready, 4.8” threaded barrel, suppressor sights, three 21 round mags, three interchangeable back straps.  It’s pretty damn sweet.  

E934DA1F-66CC-42E3-96ED-532C50D2E61F.thumb.jpeg.817bdeebe0fab37956fb8bdd5b79a427.jpeg

GrabAGun has the APX A1 full-size at $299 after rebate - that’s just crazy good value from my POV.
[mention=1243]Macanudo[/mention] the APX A1 might be worth a look.  [mention=214]Handcruser[/mention] what are your thoughts on the APX A1 family?

I think they’re great guns from everything I’ve read. I have not sold any that I can recall but don’t really do that anymore. I do not like the way they feel in my hands but that’s a personal thing. Beretta makes great shit- usually.

It’s a good purchase especially at that price point.

I signed up for class at a gun range near me.  The instructor is retired Homeland Security.  He's knowledge and personable.  They have some guns I wanted to try out and they ended up having  SA Echelon that isn't on their online list.   We went over 4 others and checked out the triggers, looked at the guts on all of them and then put 50 rounds through the Echelon. 

He put the shot through the eyeball and I missed high left on two but overall considering I haven't shot a pistol in a really long time, I am pretty happy with the spread.  The first 20 or so rounds, I was pulling down and left (3 yards), over-corrected the downward angle on the next 15 (7 yards using the sights) or so and then went more centerline on the last 15 (5 yards.)  I'm definitely going to need some prescription eye wear.  At 5 yards I was using my sights and they were blurry to me with regular glasses.

Definitely going back to fire a few others.  My only complaint was the dumbass in the lane next me who was chewing through ammo.  We guessed that he put 150-200 rounds through his gun in about 30 minutes.  To each their own but it's an indoor range and it got loud.

20230908_133847.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, Handcruser said:

Also if your going to eventually buy multiple cans just get the big trust.

Now explain this one to me - I get the benefit of corporate ownership, but if I don't want to personally share or leave NFA items to anyone, is there any benefit of a trust over individual ownership? 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova

You can order online and then use the kiosk for the rest. Do that. Kiosks are super easy.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Okay....recommendations for a good, real-deal gunsmith in Centex (happy to go outside of Austin).  I have an old Underwood M-1 Carbine.  She (was) a beautiful gun.  Then, a LONG DAMNED time ago, the receiver blew out.  I mean, full on failure while shooting.  Blew out the top, and blew out the bottom of the magazine.  Yes, it was scary as shit, and yes, it was the loudest damn thing I ever heard.

But the stock, barrel, and I'm sure some other parts are still in mighty fine shape (I've kept her in the safe).  I want to finally break down and get it fixed up - will need a new receiver at least, maybe a new bolt, maybe other parts.  I'm aware that I'm going to have to pay a chunk of change for those (and hell, I think I'd be willing to hunt around and wait for some Underwood parts, I know there are some that float around out there).  But I need a pro to do this, adjust the headspace, etc., to make it a legit (and safe) shooter again.  So, I'm thinking that I need someone who I can leave it with, we can shop for parts together over time, and I pay him a chunk of change for the work.

Any recommendations?  

I'll dig it out and take some pics at some point, for the crowd.

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Okay....recommendations for a good, real-deal gunsmith in Centex (happy to go outside of Austin).  I have an old Underwood M-1 Carbine.  She (was) a beautiful gun.  Then, a LONG DAMNED time ago, the receiver blew out.  I mean, full on failure while shooting.  Blew out the top, and blew out the bottom of the magazine.  Yes, it was scary as shit, and yes, it was the loudest damn thing I ever heard.

But the stock, barrel, and I'm sure some other parts are still in mighty fine shape (I've kept her in the safe).  I want to finally break down and get it fixed up - will need a new receiver at least, maybe a new bolt, maybe other parts.  I'm aware that I'm going to have to pay a chunk of change for those (and hell, I think I'd be willing to hunt around and wait for some Underwood parts, I know there are some that float around out there).  But I need a pro to do this, adjust the headspace, etc., to make it a legit (and safe) shooter again.  So, I'm thinking that I need someone who I can leave it with, we can shop for parts together over time, and I pay him a chunk of change for the work.

Any recommendations?  

There was an M1 receiver on the auction sites like 2 weeks ago.  I specifically remember thinking, what in the hell is someone going to do with just the receiver. Can’t remember which but most likely gun broker. $300 or so iirc. 

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Any recommendations?  

Highly recommend this gunsmith in northwest Austin (Pond Springs Road):

https://www.blackjackguns.com

IIRC, he is originally from South America. He’s done some work for me several years before the pandemic.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Any recommendations?  

Armybrat is tracking - blackjack is great. It would be my first stop. Ask for AJ.

If he doesn’t have bandwidth get with Troy at Guns Warehouse and he’ll run point for Robert.
  • Hook 'Em 1

I received my Form 1 approval for my amnesty brace today, so time to start looking at stock options. Anybody run one of those short PDW buffer tube/stock systems? This is on a 10.5" 300 BLK (now)SMR. I'm looking for something compact, but reliable enough for shooting deer and pigs. I already have another 300 BLK that is my primary scary hunting gun. Also, it's a crappy Radical Firearms gun with a super low serial number (like under 30) and shoots to the left, so I don't want to spend a ton of money on a super fancy set-up, especially until I can spend the time to figure out what the deal with the shooting off is.

For anybody wondering about wait times, I submitted my eFile Form 1 on May 31 and then sent in paper fingerprint cards the next week because there wasn't a place nearby I could find to do the electronic ones in time. so three and a half months.  Also, I only sent in one set of fingerprint cards instead of the two I think you are supposed to send in, and it still got approved. I guess they figured they are going to digitize them anyways and rejecting it for that is just more paperwork for them to do later when I resubmit a paper Form 1 and they get to type everything in.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 9/8/2023 at 2:43 PM, Macanudo said:

He put the shot through the eyeball and I missed high left on two but overall considering I haven't shot a pistol in a really long time, I am pretty happy with the spread.  The first 20 or so rounds, I was pulling down and left (3 yards), over-corrected the downward angle on the next 15 (7 yards using the sights) or so and then went more centerline on the last 15 (5 yards.)  I'm definitely going to need some prescription eye wear.  At 5 yards I was using my sights and they were blurry to me with regular glasses.

It's such a perishable skill akin to golf.  Dry firing exercises really do help and there are tons of instructional videos out there.  Can you mount a red dot on it?  They take a slight second longer to acquire the dot & target, but they are so great with our old-man eyes and especially in low-light scenarios (which is almost always is the time bad things happen)

I received my Form 1 approval for my amnesty brace today, so time to start looking at stock options. Anybody run one of those short PDW buffer tube/stock systems? This is on a 10.5" 300 BLK (now)SMR. I'm looking for something compact, but reliable enough for shooting deer and pigs. I already have another 300 BLK that is my primary scary hunting gun. Also, it's a crappy Radical Firearms gun with a super low serial number (like under 30) and shoots to the left, so I don't want to spend a ton of money on a super fancy set-up, especially until I can spend the time to figure out what the deal with the shooting off is.
For anybody wondering about wait times, I submitted my eFile Form 1 on May 31 and then sent in paper fingerprint cards the next week because there wasn't a place nearby I could find to do the electronic ones in time. so three and a half months.  Also, I only sent in one set of fingerprint cards instead of the two I think you are supposed to send in, and it still got approved. I guess they figured they are going to digitize them anyways and rejecting it for that is just more paperwork for them to do later when I resubmit a paper Form 1 and they get to type everything in.

I mailed my paper form 1s on May 30.

Still waiting.

Guard filed on like week 2 of it opening, paper form 1s with a trust. He got his rejection notice 3 weeks ago along with refile instructions, he got his approval notice last week.

43 minutes ago, Speedtrucker said:

I mailed my paper form 1s on May 30.

Still waiting.

Guard filed on like week 2 of it opening, paper form 1s with a trust. He got his rejection notice 3 weeks ago along with refile instructions, he got his approval notice last week.

The SBR thing must have pushed out processing times for Form 1. When I was thinking about making a can last year, they were averaging about 6 weeks. 

BTW - I just got approval on my tax stamp from March 20th on monday. So, right at 6 months for a Form 4.