The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

Just want to clean up and store. I’m told they’ll eventually be mine, so besides some quality time with my FiL, I’ll get a little protection on inheritance.

Totally comfortable with what you laid out, and I think evaluating every piece individually before determining cleaning need is the way to go.

“Corrosion X” for exterior rust and “Corrosion X for Guns” for interior/action rust and rust prevention have been the best performing long-term rust preventative I’ve used/seen. It’s a little expensive, but worth it IMO. Available on Amazon.
  • Hook 'Em 2

Just ordered an inexpensive complete MOE 16”upper from PSA for my AR pistol lower to switch from the 10.5” railed upper. 
That’ll make it a rifle. 
My son will have the option for a rifle or pistol whenever the courts toss the ATF brace rule overreach.

CD60C93D-2FE9-4FD5-9435-724631CBD9F2.jpeg

Edited by Armybrat
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Just ordered an inexpensive complete MOE 16”upper from PSA for my AR pistol lower to switch from the 10.5” railed upper. 
That’ll make it a rifle. 
My son will have the option for a rifle or pistol whenever the courts toss the ATF brace rule overreach.

CD60C93D-2FE9-4FD5-9435-724631CBD9F2.thumb.jpeg.a5ba6292129c88923aeaa81c406dc8e7.jpeg

Just join the fpc.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Hi. I’m your local austin area arms dealer.

Why don’t you PM me some pics of what you have. Once I can see them I’ll tell you what direction I would go and give you several options in each.

My gun shop may or may not be interested - and if restoration is needed I know of a few reputable places. Happy to help.

He’s gonna include a dick pic.

44 minutes ago, Handcruser said:

Just join the fpc.

Yeah, read that on a couple of gun forums. 
Am not much of a joiner, and my donations go to the TSRA. 
Besides, the ability to switch between a carbine and a pistol is intriguing to me.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

Army Brat’s family photo album consists of pics of each family member’s favorite firearm. Sometimes, it includes a photograph of the person. 

Well, Mrs. Brat hates guns and has never fired one in her life. 
So there’s that.

I never win raffles. But a family friend that is on our HOA wildlife committee (we have so many deer that they trap about 1500 a year)badgered me into buying six tickets for $100. I told her I didn't really need anymore guns. Well, I won. So I'm getting an AR chambered in .300 blk. So now I have to get a new can chambered for .30. So out another $1200ish.

CHIEF

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

On 6/10/2023 at 8:44 PM, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

300 blk is about a perfect brush country gun. Put a red dot on it and you can get on target super fast and put anything within 100 yards down so easily. It's basically like the modern version of a .30-30 lever gun.

Yep. My favorite AR round, and even have a bolt in it for my oldest kiddo.  

11 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

Blasphemy.....;)

Only child, CHIEF Jr. is an only as well. I have shit from my maternal grandfather, my late father, my late FIL, the shit I've bought, and the shit CHIEF Jr. has bought. Gun safe is full, and there are probably a half dozen guns under each bed. Told CHIEF Jr. he has to build a gun "vault" when he builds his house, a gun safe will not cut it. Feels like this:

CHIEF

Edited by CHIEF
FIL
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, CHIEF said:

Only child, CHIEF Jr. is an only as well. I have shit from my maternal grandfather, my late father, my late FIL, the shit I've bought, and the shit CHIEF Jr. has bought. Gun safe is full, and there are probably a half dozen guns under each bed. Told CHIEF Jr. he has to build a gun "vault" when he builds his house, a gun safe will not cut it. Feels like this:

CHIEF

I get it.  Good friend, his pops retired near Jackson Hole decades ago - has something like 5-6 refrigerator sized gun safes.  

I asked if he wanted to adopt another kid......

• Hook 'Em 2

36 minutes ago, CHIEF said:

The Faxon barrel is supposed to be the most accurate barrel made in .300 BLK. It has five groves instead of six in the rifling, and they are "dovetailed" in design, grip the bullet better, and have a better gas seal.

This is probably all true, but with the BO, it's kind of all moot.  My kiddo's bolt 300BO has nice and tight groups, but your so range limited it just kinda takes away from it all.   Still love the round, but it's another animal if you are used to precision shooting. 

AR300BLK.jpg
I went and picked up the AR I won, thinking it would probably be just a $400 Palmetto State or something similar. Boy was I wrong. The gunsmith is an old retired Nuclear Engineer, and building out custom rifles is his hobby/obsession.
So, what he donated was an AR with an Aero lower, custom Garrison trigger, and a Faxon custom barrel. He told me to insure it for $2300, as that is what it would cost to replace it. He said that since he built it, it has a lifetime warranty for as long he is able to keep gunsmithing. Also, it came with the case, and five boxes of .300 BLK ammo.
https://pikeprecisionarms.com
His specialty is 1911s, and AR platform. The Faxon barrel is supposed to be the most accurate barrel made in .300 BLK. It has five groves instead of six in the rifling, and they are "dovetailed" in design, grip the bullet better, and have a better gas seal.
CHIEF

What optic is that

1 hour ago, Handcruser said:

What optic is that

Just a cheap Truglo. Still a $300-400 scope. I actually like it. He said he put a cheaper scope on it, since it is probably going to be removed for a thermal. He was right.

CHIEF

• Hook 'Em 2

This is probably all true, but with the BO, it's kind of all moot.  My kiddo's bolt 300BO has nice and tight groups, but your so range limited it just kinda takes away from it all.   Still love the round, but it's another animal if you are used to precision shooting. 

But it suppresses sooooo good.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

I recommend going to the Colt Forum.  There are a lot of experts on that site that will give you a good idea.  Inspection stamps are a big deal.  I have a 4 digit, built in 1873 SAA that they provided a tremendous amount of information for.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

47 minutes ago, Gladeite said:

I recommend going to the Colt Forum.  There are a lot of experts on that site that will give you a good idea.  Inspection stamps are a big deal.  I have a 4 digit, built in 1873 SAA that they provided a tremendous amount of information for.  

This is the correct advice. 

The best one online.

Link to the Single Action Army forum at the Colt board:

https://www.coltforum.com/forums/single-action-army.56/

Looks like yours was made in 1911 - but I could be off a little. Very nice condition for a pre-WW1 SAA.

But the real experts there will give an accurate assessment, especially if you provide a few more detailed pics - such as any markings on the cylinder. 
They might be able to tell you if the major parts are correct or have been replaced. 
I do not have the knowledge to do any of that kind of analysis.

If it is all legit, I’d guess ballpark a minimum of $2,500 and up.

You definitely need to spring for the $100 to get a letter from Colt about its original description, date shipped, and to whom it was shipped.

Edited by Armybrat

It is ridiculous the amount of information you will get.  I joined the Colt Forum, sent pics and got instant responses.  Built in 1873, lot 6 to the US gov.  Inspected by all the right people.  Barrel cut and repurposed for the Spanish American War.  Mismatch of other 4 digit parts which was common for the day.  Inspected again by all the right SAW personnel.  

• Hook 'Em 3

10 hours ago, Armybrat said:

The best one online.

Link to the Single Action Army forum at the Colt board:

https://www.coltforum.com/forums/single-action-army.56/

Looks like yours was made in 1911 - but I could be off a little. Very nice condition for a pre-WW1 SAA.

But the real experts there will give an accurate assessment, especially if you provide a few more detailed pics - such as any markings on the cylinder. 
They might be able to tell you if the major parts are correct or have been replaced. 
I do not have the knowledge to do any of that kind of analysis.

If it is all legit, I’d guess ballpark a minimum of $2,500 and up.

You definitely need to spring for the $100 to get a letter from Colt about its original description, date shipped, and to whom it was shipped.

Thanks.  But, unfortunately, it's not mine.  It's my late Father-in-law's.  And, there will be family drama over who ends up with it.  
I'm just trying to get the lay of the land to see if the GF should fight for it.

And yeah, GF/FIL, whatever.  We've been together longer than most married couples.

• Hook 'Em 1

Any of you shotgunners have any thoughts on the Turkish Yildiz OUs they sell at Academy? It seems like a decent option at that price.

Evidently Capital City won't let me bring my police trade-in Mossberg 590A1 with the 20" parkerized barrel and tacticool forend light onto their sporting clays range. I guess they don't like badasses, go figure. 

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Rage+1 1

Don’t have a clue about Turkish shotguns, but Tisas 1911 owners all claim their pistols are very good quality and are bargains for the prices.

Guess Capital City wouldn’t like my “vintage” Winchester Defender & old H&R Topper.

3C108FE8-AA2D-40B0-8F3F-954EA14C44A6.jpeg

Edited by Armybrat
  • Hook 'Em 1

Any of you shotgunners have any thoughts on the Turkish Yildiz OUs they sell at Academy? It seems like a decent option at that price.

Evidently Capital City won't let me bring my police trade-in Mossberg 590A1 with the 20" parkerized barrel and tacticool forend light onto their sporting clays range. I guess they don't like badasses, go figure. 
I bought my 14 yr old a youth model. Its a solid gun. I have a Weatherby O/U that is also Turkish
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

My BIL has one, and he loves it. However, the tolerances weren't very close between the barrels and carrier, it now has blow by. It has lasted a good 20 years though. The newer ones may have fixed the problem.

CHIEF

• Hook 'Em 1

They’re fine. But hold on……

Cz drake. 28”.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 6/17/2023 at 7:12 AM, Gil Bang said:

any idea what this is worth (ballpark)?

(pics to follow)

1340f824809f8749e48362750dfba3d0.jpg
c0996d56e746f6208c0e65fb0508b1b7.jpg
fe47b162f86ad75e9d3ff63e1058a5b6.jpg
a812f21cc029c072fcf3ba6ff658e51e.jpg

Looks vaguely familiar :)  Mine is 45 and doesn't have the text on barrel. The serial number on mine is about 1915

004.jpg

014.jpg

Edited by AUinHsv
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1