The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

On 8/28/2023 at 1:02 PM, Bozo_Casanova said:

I picked up a Glock 44 over the weekend and I'm sorry to say that the feeding issues are even worse than I expected.  Terrible awful no good magazines. 

OK fuck this thing, seriously the worst gun I've ever bought.
I want something with a threaded barrel anyway because my can will get out of ATF jail. Options are Ruger MarkIV or Blazer. 10/22 takedown. 
Also does anyone want a barely used G44? It's AWESOME. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

OK fuck this thing, seriously the worst gun I've ever bought.
I want something with a threaded barrel anyway because my can will get out of ATF jail. Options are Ruger MarkIV or Blazer. 10/22 takedown. 
Also does anyone want a barely used G44? It's AWESOME. 

We’ll what do you want to do with it besides shoot it with the can?

If that’s all you want to do with a little target thrown in id get the Ruger mkiv lite.

If you want to train - 322, tx22, for fn502.

The best deal is the Taurus. Hands down.

I like the trigger best on 502.

Go see Ross at guns warehouse. Tell him I sent you.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

@Handcruser in all seriousness I had hoped this would be the training counterpart to my G19, but based on the first hundred rounds it’s not reliable enough.

I read on some of the forums that it’s less of a problem with the promags and don’t use cheap bulk ammo, but what’s the point of a .22lr that can’t eat the cheap stuff?

Glock Perfection, my ass

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

@Handcruser in all seriousness I had hoped this would be the training counterpart to my G19, but based on the first hundred rounds it’s not reliable enough.

I read on some of the forums that it’s less of a problem with the promags and don’t use cheap bulk ammo, but what’s the point of a .22lr that can’t eat the cheap stuff?

Glock Perfection, my ass

Dump it and get a Ruger Mark III or IV

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Dump it and get a Ruger Mark III or IV

I saw a very nice stainless Mark II at McBride’s the other day.
3 fellas were standing around talking to each other, another was yacking with an old man about the 70’s Cowboys under Landry, and the other guy was giving a lecture on why Sam Houston didn’t make it to the Alamo, culminating in a Masonic handshake. 

Basically they were too slammed to sell me a gun that day. 

14 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

3 fellas were standing around talking to each other, another was yacking with an old man about the 70’s Cowboys under Landry, and the other guy was giving a lecture on why Sam Houston didn’t make it to the Alamo, culminating in a Masonic handshake. 

Was it threaded?

I have a 44 and it is horrible.  Figured out how to do the mags.  Once the magazine has 10 rounds in it, fully depress the button on the side.  The rounds will drop a little and realign. Release and should be good to go.  You have to use high velocity rounds.  Standard velocity does not work in mine.   As far as accuracy, it sucks.  I average 6-8" groups at 10 yards.  Looks like a shotgun pattern.   This is a common theme with this model and I understand that you can send it back to Glock.  They will replace the barrel and maybe do some other work.  They will send a test target back showing its new performance.  

I haven’t been to mcbride’s in 15 years but it sounds like nothing has changed.

7 minutes ago, Gladeite said:

I have a 44 and it is horrible.  Figured out how to do the mags.  Once the magazine has 10 rounds in it, fully depress the button on the side.  The rounds will drop a little and realign. Release and should be good to go.  You have to use high velocity rounds.  Standard velocity does not work in mine.   As far as accuracy, it sucks.  I average 6-8" groups at 10 yards.  Looks like a shotgun pattern.   This is a common theme with this model and I understand that you can send it back to Glock.  They will replace the barrel and maybe do some other work.  They will send a test target back showing its new performance.  

Can they just keep it if I ask nicely?

7 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

I get this sentiment, but really, feeding better ammo into a .22 makes a noticeable difference.  Bricks for sending the kids off to explore, but I've been running match grade stuff thru all mine for a decade or better now.  That said, all the .22's at the front of the safe are benchrest and a target model Ruger Mark.   

• Hook 'Em 1

[mention=214]Handcruser[/mention] in all seriousness I had hoped this would be the training counterpart to my G19, but based on the first hundred rounds it’s not reliable enough.
Glock Perfection, my ass

Yes -most people think this.

Honestly - for what your talking about is look at the Taurus hard. And I mean hard. It’s $299.
  • Hook 'Em 1

If anyone wants to buy a gun from McBrides you might want to step on it.
  • Haha 1

I know they shut down their fishing "division" about a year or two ago.  Then the plan was to shrink the square footage over to one side (the northern section) and deal mainly in hunting/firearms/etc.  But given the spike in rates in that small radius, that may not have made much sense.  Not sure if they owned that in fee simple or ground leased or what, but they've certainly taken a turn for the worse.  I liked the fishing department over the years, but that's obviously not a sustainable model given the margins per square foot.  I need to roll by there this week anyway. 

6 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

I get this sentiment, but really, feeding better ammo into a .22 makes a noticeable difference.  Bricks for sending the kids off to explore, but I've been running match grade stuff thru all mine for a decade or better now.  That said, all the .22's at the front of the safe are benchrest and a target model Ruger Mark.   

Sure, I’m a grown man who makes folding money. It’s the principle involved, mainly the principle of cheap plinking. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, deft said:

I don’t want to fire up ammoseek. What are ya paying per round for match grade .22 these days?

I couldn’t tell you.  6$ for 100 or so? I know it feeds considerably smoother, and is much more accurate.   If my .22’s are out, it’s because the kids are taking up practice.  And I’d rather them stack them in the ring and learn accuracy than save a few bucks. 

Bought a 1953 M70 Fwt. in .308 at auction up in Vermont.  I bid online/absentee and got it for the low estimate which was my ceiling.

Was pretty pleased with it at that price as it also still has the factory sights, plus has a vintage M8-4X Leupold and G&H quick-disconnect mounts.  Even with buyers premium and shipping it was a good deal. 

Have never had this happen on the probably dozens of guns I've bought via live auction, but the house called me prior to shipping and said they had a couple of good customers who missed the auction and have asked to contact me to offer to buy it before it even shipped.  

Everything is always for sale, so I told him to send them my way, but I am going to take possession first.  Winchester dropped the .308 on the market in '52, so this was one of the early rifles in this chambering to come off the line.  Can't wait to see it.

Edited by Reagan1k
  • Like 2

On 8/31/2023 at 7:46 AM, Bozo_Casanova said:

s-l1600.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

About 5 or 6 weeks ago my son gave me this dehumidifier sack of pellets to put in my safe. 
When the pellets were all gone and the sack drained, there were two cups of this water that it had soaked up. 
I never had heard of those before. HD sells them, as does Lowe’s.

17DE7519-E05F-48A1-BEE7-39A453FD7D1C.thumb.jpeg.5b7fb39e7bbbe603065c7d476d34171b.jpeg

I’m not sure I’d want to put damp rid in my safe. I’m sure the chemical is some kind of salts and that while it sucks out moisture the vapor off of that can’t be good for gun metal. Hard to beat and old standard goldenrod.

And this comes from the guy that puts two big buckets of damp rod in his rv when he puts it up in storage.

Also, have seen a bunch of folks with damaged rv floors when those hanging bags get a puncture or spring a leak. Hate to have that happen in a safe
  • Hook 'Em 1

It’s time to gift myself something nice, so I’m thinking either a can or a thermal scope for the SCAR-17, both of which could be useful for hogs this fall.

Thoughts on the best place to purchase either in Austin? Never gone the NFA route, but willing to do so with the right dealer.
Go by the ATN store at Barton Creek mall and you can demo some of their thermal and digital night vision optics. A suppressor won't do you any good for this fall; I'm on month 9 waiting for approval on my eform 4 for mine

Anybody handled or shot a Springfield Echelon yet?   They've only been out for what looks like 1-2 months but they are on shelves now.   I like the look (without having seen it in person.)
I think I'm finally going to get around buying a 9mm and this is in the running.

It’s fine. It’s nothing special - just fine.

What are you looking to do with the gun?

It’s time to gift myself something nice, so I’m thinking either a can or a thermal scope for the SCAR-17, both of which could be useful for hogs this fall.

Thoughts on the best place to purchase either in Austin? Never gone the NFA route, but willing to do so with the right dealer.

So- here is what I would do.

I’d get the can in order. Look at silencershop and just stick with them. They’re great. They have specials all the time on cans that include a free tax stamp so that helps. Look at the rugged Alaskan 360ti. A little pricy but covers everything.

Thermals you can take home today. ATN is fine - they’re on the lower end usually but they work fine.

I really like Burris thermals.

Holosun has something coming out soon that looks super cool - I’ll bite on one for sure.

What is your budget?
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Handcruser said:

It’s fine. It’s nothing special - just fine.

What are you looking to do with the gun?

Shoot it.  You know....  at stuff.

In all seriousness, something for the home.  I'm not going to carry so a compact isn't needed.   I'm comparing it to several things, among them the Walther PDP 5", Glock 17 and maybe the CZ P-10.  

Shoot it.  You know....  at stuff.

In all seriousness, something for the home.  I'm not going to carry so a compact isn't needed.   I'm comparing it to several things, among them the Walther PDP 5", Glock 17 and maybe the CZ P-10.  

P-10 would be my last choice and I’m a big CZ fan.

Scratch the 17 and go 47.

PDP’s are great - accurate and reliable.

VP9 is one of my favorites so I’d look at that.

Hk P30 might garner a look - great ergonomics. SA/da so something a little different.

P320 X series (maybe vtac) should get a look

I prefer 4” barrels but that’s just me. I like the way they point. Typically they are considered compacts but ignore that - that is old terminology.
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Party_Taco said:

On the thermal, it boils down to how much you want to spend.  This Pulsar is on special now.  640 resolution is very nice.  This is a good dealer, but you could probably find it at an out of state dealer an avoid sales tax.

https://outdoorlegacygear.com/products/pulsar-talion-xg35-2-16x-thermal-rifle-scope?variant=40278771499082

• Like 1

I didn’t know that had been released to the public, but why would you go this way? Greater modularity or?

It’s the future.

Glock 19 and Glock 17 get you a Glock 19 and Glock 17

A Glock 19 and a Glock 47 get you a 19, 17, 47, 45, and 19L

Also 17’s will not be MOS anymore - future production of that variant is ending and 47’s will be MOS.

There is no reason really to buy a 17 over a 47.

And yes, modularity.

I prefer 4” barrels usually and I’ll be buying a 47 at some point after my staccato purchases

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

^^^^ Interesting ….. plus it looks like compatibility with a bunch of Glock mags.

Here’s a CZ for a decent price….

https://grabagun.com/firearms/handguns/semi-automatic-handguns/cz-75b-d-9mm-4-7-black-dl-2-16rd.html

But it is a lot heavier than the Glock and the proprietary mags are pricey.

Edited by Armybrat