The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

8 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

As stated, it's an unloaded MP40.  In case anyone missed it, there's a Thompson behind it.  Notice the bolt on the top and the cooling fins on the barrel.  That's some history right there between the two.  Sign me up!

I saw that.

Wondered if it is an original or an Auto Ordnance.

• Hook 'Em 1

Any idea what a Model 1894 Winchester .32-40 with a serial number somewhere around 16000 (built in 1895) would be worth?  My grandfather won it in a raffle in the '40s.  It's in pretty good shape.  It's missing the butt plate and a few screws but I think it would fire.

Edited by Ten Bears
  • Hook 'Em 1

Clear Pictures would be a big help. 
Is it a carbine or rifle length?

My 1914 production .30-30 carbine with no finish & sanded wood is probably worth in the &500-$700 range depending on how desperate the buyer is.

Edited by Armybrat

• 2 weeks later...

Wife’s Judge Poly had developed some small rust spots (pitting?) on the cylinder, some slightly larger than these. I’m guessing they came from being banged around in her purse. Any ideas about cleaning them up? If possible I’d like to avoid sanding or blasting to keep the original finish. I’d consider Cerakoting the cylinder after I get it cleaned up, but I’m worried about clearances. 7242b502e3f0ab82bda2076a0dd54938.jpg

On 8/5/2023 at 4:57 PM, GoPokes83 said:

Wife’s Judge Poly had developed some small rust spots (pitting?) on the cylinder, some slightly larger than these. I’m guessing they came from being banged around in her purse. Any ideas about cleaning them up? If possible I’d like to avoid sanding or blasting to keep the original finish. I’d consider Cerakoting the cylinder after I get it cleaned up, but I’m worried about clearances. 7242b502e3f0ab82bda2076a0dd54938.jpg

I'd start with a good oiling.  Then try a soft buffing rag before you get too crazy.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

I ordered a new ACOG from PSA to put on a new rig I built. Package arrives and they sent me an empty trijicon case.  Package doesn't look tampered with and was grabbed directly from the ups guy. WTF.

Did they really send me an empty case? So annoying.

Sooo I need a new range finder… and I also kinda want to replace my strike eagle 1-8 on my deer gun.

Sig has the combo BDX system and the buck master combo system for bullet drop.

Has anyone used them in tandem and does it work efficiently/effectively?

Like this:

https://www.eurooptic.com/Sig-Sauer-BDX-Combo-Kit-Kilo1600BDX-LRF-and-Sierra3BDX-Rifle-Scope-35-10x42mm-SO.aspx

Or

https://palmettostatearmory.com/sig-buckmasters-combo-1500lrf-3-12x44-sok15bm03.html
But this Buckmaster series looks way too entry level

17 hours ago, Speedtrucker said:

Sooo I need a new range finder… and I also kinda want to replace my strike eagle 1-8 on my deer gun.

Like this:

https://www.eurooptic.com/Sig-Sauer-BDX-Combo-Kit-Kilo1600BDX-LRF-and-Sierra3BDX-Rifle-Scope-35-10x42mm-SO.aspx

Or

https://palmettostatearmory.com/sig-buckmasters-combo-1500lrf-3-12x44-sok15bm03.html

What ranges/distances are you shooting at?

20 minutes ago, Speedtrucker said:

Not too far for deer but hogs out to about 4-500yards.

My land is big but not long. That’s what she said

If you are reaching out that far, then get the best glass you can.  I've used range finders quite a bit and find them useful at times, but if you are dialed in on pigs, figure out your dope ahead of times and you are good.  A scope with mil dots helps or a Horus grid works quite well.  .  

• Like 1

Like this:

Or

I’ve sold a bunch of rangefinders and I really like the sigs for what they are.

That scope is not great but not awful.

I would buy that combo deal and put the scope in my parts bin for a future build (wife kids etc)

Go to academy and look for the vortex eagle 4-16. The eagle is not in vortex catalog but is $299 and fantastic for that price. Vortex upper mid stuff and lower hi level is all phillipino made - and the eagle is too. It shouldn’t be at that price but it is.

2 hours ago, Dignan said:

I saw a Henry lever-action 30-30 for sale at Walmart in Tyler. $785. I have NEVER seen a Henry in a Walmart and almost pulled the trigger. Literally. Didn't, but I was tempted. I need a lever-action.

I see them all the time at Walmart in East Texas. But, yeah, get a Winchester 94. Or if you want a .45 or .357 lever gun, get a Winchester 73. You won't find a smoother lever gun than a 73, but the action isn't really strong enough for much more than a .45 Colt.

I see them all the time at Walmart in East Texas. But, yeah, get a Winchester 94. Or if you want a .45 or .357 lever gun, get a Winchester 73. You won't find a smoother lever gun than a 73, but the action isn't really strong enough for much more than a .45 Colt.

Hell the Walmart in Mount Pleasant used to carry them all the time.

spacer.png

Just received this guy today. ive got a barrel to mate it to that needs a little reshaping and a slab of walnut in the barn that i think should work to build a nifty little northwest trade gun. This lock is so much bigger than the one on my Pedersoli.

spacer.png

But first I need to finish refinishing the stock on my Pedersoli before deer season gets here.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

Took my son to the range yesterday and let him try mine and a few other rented 9mm's.  Guy rented the .50 Desert Eagle and I had to get a video of it.  $3-$4 a round!  It was like a clap of thunder going off.  Each time he fired people would stop shooting and look around to see what the hell just happened.

image.png.1eccc85909b18b5f2c8a50765db72ea1.png

Edited by BabaYaga
  • Haha 2
  • Rage+1 1

On 8/22/2023 at 10:04 PM, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

spacer.png

Just received this guy today. ive got a barrel to mate it to that needs a little reshaping and a slab of walnut in the barn that i think should work to build a nifty little northwest trade gun. This lock is so much bigger than the one on my Pedersoli.

spacer.png

But first I need to finish refinishing the stock on my Pedersoli before deer season gets here.

Needs an aimpoint....;)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BabaYaga said:

Took my son to the range yesterday and let him try mine and a few other rented 9mm's.  Guy rented the .50 Desert Eagle and I had to get a video of it.  $3-$4 a round!  It was like a clap of thunder going off.  Each time he fired people would stop shooting and look around to see what the hell just happened.

image.png.1eccc85909b18b5f2c8a50765db72ea1.png

Built by some bad ass Hebrews. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Like this:

Or

Did you end up going one way or the other on this? I have used the Sig BDX rangefinding binoculars and Sierra 3 and Sierra 6 scopes for the last two years. I like the system. It takes some attention to detail to setup, but is pretty nice once you do have it set. Very fast to operate, and you can have a spotter run the rangefinder for the trigger man if you really want to be quick. The illuminated dot is really helpful to me.

1 hour ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

I picked up a Glock 44 over the weekend and I'm sorry to say that the feeding issues are even worse than I expected.  Terrible awful no good magazines. 

Guy at the range had a volquartsen (kid at my son's school was in the same bay as us so I met the dad).  Holy hell it was as smooth as kitten shit on linoleum.  The red dot made it so easy to hold over target at even extended ranges of 20+ yds.  

• Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

Guy at the range had a volquartsen (kid at my son's school was in the same bay as us so I met the dad).  Holy hell it was as smooth as kitten shit on linoleum.  The red dot made it so easy to hold over target at even extended ranges of 20+ yds.  

Yes, they are very nice.  They make nice pieces for 10/22s as well.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Did you end up going one way or the other on this? I have used the Sig BDX rangefinding binoculars and Sierra 3 and Sierra 6 scopes for the last two years. I like the system. It takes some attention to detail to setup, but is pretty nice once you do have it set. Very fast to operate, and you can have a spotter run the rangefinder for the trigger man if you really want to be quick. The illuminated dot is really helpful to me.

Ahp forgot to reply to this.

I’m on the fence still… someone above listed a vortex Filipino glass option that I have pinned.

Whatever I do it’ll be before 11/6 so I can zero and doe my dope notes…

1 hour ago, Armybrat said:

Damn, that's basically identical to my P01. I don't remember what I paid for that thing, but it wasn't that. 

• Hook 'Em 1