The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

16 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

No 94 is going to be smoother than a 73. The brass carrier  block and toggle line action made it feel like it wants you to work the action. 

This.  I have a friend that has one with a shorter barrel in .44mag.  Butta'......

I told him when he dies, fuck them kids, put me in the will for that rifle.  

My local gun shop is Eyeguy from Txags (decent enough guy otherwise).  He’s been sounding the alarm for a few weeks now on what he can and has not been able to order. Apparently SG ammo shut down orders the other day, and was backed up >10k orders.   I’ve been buying a box or two every time I browse academy but still not ready for another run. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, huge said:

Someone mentioned Tikka upthread.

9e93b55f8a0ba1dc8ccdc39871a58112.jpg
New .270
Vortex venom 3x15x42

Need to hit the range stat!

I think that was me.  My LEO buddy who is also on the SWAT team (sniper) prefers his Tikka over the issued Rem 700.  His feedback was the consistency of the Tikka is what he loves about them.  They're smooth, reliable, and it always performs (both in .308)

*his main gripe about the custom 700's is every now and then he always gets a "flyer".  They'll cloverleaf 2-3 shots, then there's that one fucker an inch of so outside the group.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/17/2023 at 8:40 PM, fattyflattie said:

My local gun shop is Eyeguy from Txags (decent enough guy otherwise).  He’s been sounding the alarm for a few weeks now on what he can and has not been able to order. Apparently SG ammo shut down orders the other day, and was backed up >10k orders.   I’ve been buying a box or two every time I browse academy but still not ready for another run. 

Yep.  SG is only taking new orders on certain stuff.  They were posting the 10k orders in backlog, but they changed that now.  Guess they are making progress.

Here’s the most recent statement.

Due to extremely high order volume over the past 11 days, we are only accepting new orders for a very small selection of products, and all other products have been temporarily removed from the website. We currently have an extremely heavy backlog of orders, and all orders will be filled, but expect shipping delays. We will be offering limited selections for the next few days, and a more complete inventory after that. Orders placed at this time may take 5 to 10 days to be shipped out.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

4 hours ago, CleverNickname said:

Found on school campus today. Real or airsoft?

IMG_20231019_101955.thumb.jpg.b02bb4cd00db75868829ef21d16fdf2c.jpg

Fake.  Probably a lighter or something similar.  See the screws under what would normally be the slide and one near the bottom of the grip that has no opening to accept a magazine.  

Still get you shot if you pull it on someone armed in a dark alley.  Stupid to have.

Edited by BabaYaga
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Fake.  Probably a lighter or something similar.  See the screws under what would normally be the slide and one near the bottom of the grip that has no opening to accept a magazine.  

Still get you shot if you pull it on someone armed in a dark alley.  Stupid to have.

You were correct (a lighter). Goes well with the bag of meth. 

• Haha 2

This is NOT an advertisement.  I post because several on here (including myself) use SG Ammo and I consider it a decent barometer for ammo pricing and demand.  Thus far, they've been honest and transparent with regard to prices.  I don't view them as engaging in fear-mongering or being exploitative.

Here's the newest email hot off the press.

Thank you for subscribing to the SGAmmo.com newsletter. If you have trouble viewing this email you can see the newsletter at this link: Bulk Ammo In Stock - 5.56 - 9mm - 45 Auto - 7.62mm and More

We have seen surging demand over the past 13 days at levels not seen since the outbreak of Covid19 in March of 2020. Due to extremely heightened demand we have temporarily reduced availability to full cases of ammo only. Once order volume stabilizes, we will resume selling by the individual box and sending this email newsletter more often. In the course of working in this business for almost 23 years, I have seen the market cycle in this stage a number of times, and it is pretty predictable at this point, and I feel that it is safe to say there will broad sweeping price increases from most of the ammo factories to come in the weeks and months ahead as they try to push for a profitable 2024, and rebound after starving for profits this past quarter when sales got extremely slow and business was not profitable. As of right now, almost all 'special deals' that were going from the factories have been revoked, most effected are Lake City made 223 Rem and 5.56, where the revoking of all special pricing effectively pushes cost up 25% to 30%. Also, almost all the ammo factories sold out of most 5.56 and 223 inventory early in the rush, leaving only the most expensive options available to replace with now, which has to be taken into account. I also expect to see my costs on FMJ range pistol ammo to push up 15% to 20% related to then ending of special deals on most of those products. It is hard to say with certainty, but I would expect the current rush to jump-start the market into 2024 which was already expected to be a year of higher demand.

Below is a list of popular bulk ammo options that are in stock now. Due to the current unstable market conditions, we guarantee our newsletter pricing for 48 hours from the time it was sent or while supplies last. We have free shipping on any order with over $200 worth of product, making for a more straight forward transaction without expensive surprises in checkout. You can mix and match different products to get to the $200 threshold for free shipping, so feel free to take your time and shop the website for anything you might need.  We thank you for your support of our family owned and operated business, please stay subscribed for future SGAmmo newsletters. If you have some spare time please take a few minutes and look over the online catalog at www.SGAmmo.com

Thank you, Sam Gabbert, SGAmmo Owner

Due to extremely high order volume orders placed at this time may take 5 to 10 days to be shipped out.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

16 hours ago, Mighty fine said:

Ended up getting a Henry 357 instead of the python. Took the difference and also got a P365 Macrobed8e198073fb08748eff508eb56037c.jpg

365 is my EDC.  I'm a big fan.  In hindsight, I wish I'd gone with the Macro or XL, but I'm decent with the smaller base model.  I have a .22lr Henry Golden boy and it's a great, great rifle.  Built like a tank.  My son likes to set up spent .223 cases on the fence and pick them off with it.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

My wife wants to get a handgun.  I of course will get her proper instruction. I think she should try a bunch of different pistols and find something she likes.  I think a hammerless revolver might be best. If she ever needed to use it, not sure expecting her to rack an auto would be smart.

Go to a guy range that rents revolvers and let her try a few.

Most gun forum replies would recommend something like these S&W J-Frame five shot .38 Specials: 

https://grabagun.com/firearms/handguns/revolvers.html?caliber=.38+SPL&manufacturer=Smith+and+Wesson

• Hook 'Em 3

35 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

My wife wants to get a handgun.  I of course will get her proper instruction. I think she should try a bunch of different pistols and find something she likes.  I think a hammerless revolver might be best. If she ever needed to use it, not sure expecting her to rack an auto would be smart.

These are so easy to shoot.  Has a manual and grip safety.  Springs are VERY forgiving on the slide and the recoil is minimal.  

20108540?$pdp-gallery-ng$

• Hook 'Em 3

40 minutes ago, Frank Drebin said:

I hear you on operating the slide of an auto, but my wife handles the slide on her S&W 9mm Shield.  Nice pistol to carry, but a small revolver would clearly be easier for her to handle.