The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

Ok, I just went to my FFL and got my eForm4 Submitted on a suppressor. What’s the wait time after that? Purchased last week of December.

Trust or personal?

Some have been approved instantly- like within 1 second. I’d be surprised if it’s over 30 days if personal.

Trusts are closer to 6 months still I believe. A few outliers, but most are taking some time.

Trust or personal?

Some have been approved instantly- like within 1 second. I’d be surprised if it’s over 30 days if personal.

Trusts are closer to 6 months still I believe. A few outliers, but most are taking some time.

Mine is adding onto a trust I’ve had for a long time, ugghhhhh. This is a lightweight suppressor I’m thinking about elk hunting with this year, along with a new rifle to go with it, but I need some time to get comfortable with the arrangement. :(

On 4/7/2024 at 8:57 AM, Handcruser said:

If you’ll text me what kind of barrel it is I’ll text him today. Or PM me.

I want to replace the barrel on a Remington 40x in .22 rimfire. Preferably in the heaviest contour I can find. Something like .9 or 1” at the muzzle. 

I can’t find anyone who can locate a barrel, much less have the knowledge to cut the shoulder, thread and chamber it. Which is fucked up because it used to be pretty easy to find a smith who could manage it.

I want to replace the barrel on a Remington 40x in .22 rimfire. Preferably in the heaviest contour I can find. Something like .9 or 1” at the muzzle. 
I can’t find anyone who can locate a barrel, much less have the knowledge to cut the shoulder, thread and chamber it. Which is fucked up because it used to be pretty easy to find a smith who could manage it.

Pm me your number and I’ll text you today. Troy can handle I’m pretty sure.

He should be able to source and handle.

Troy at guns warehouse in cedar park. 512-986-7330.
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Lat22 said:

The nutria rats don't appreciate it none too much.

Shoot on sight - stock tank destroying little shits.  Spend a day digging some GD cow out of the mud-flat that they make and you'll murder every one of those little bastards you see from then on out.

• Like 1

I don't feel like looking back through the thread to see if this was answered so someone explain the individual vs. trust thing with suppressors.

Short version:

Individual is assigned to me. I have to be in constructive possession of it.

Trust is assigned to everyone in said trust. Anyone on the trust can be in possession of nfa item.

There are more legalese than that but that’s the short

Ok...   That kind of answers my general question.    But I have follow up questions...   

Let's say I have a suppressor but one day I kick the bucket.  Could a beneficiary take possession of the suppressor?   How is that handled?  Does the trust ownership just circumvent all of that down the road?

Ok...   That kind of answers my general question.    But I have follow up questions...   
Let's say I have a suppressor but one day I kick the bucket.  Could a beneficiary take possession of the suppressor?   How is that handled?  Does the trust ownership just circumvent all of that down the road?

Individual checks are faster because they are known

Trust are more complicated because there is the entity and then trustees. So they take longer.
When you die your beneficiary contacts atf and applies to take ownership of can.

Trust ownership circumvents a lot of this yea. So if your son is on the trust he can be in sole possession of the can (assuming he is of age). If you and 3 hunting buddies are on a trust y’all can all use the can. If you die the can just stays in the trust if there is another trustee.

Trust is the way to go.
  • Hook 'Em 2

Finally got around to buying the the pistol that I asked about months ago.   I went with the Walther 5" FS PDP.   I tried out almost 2 dozen guns overall and liked the Walther the best.   There were still others in the running and I might end up buying one of those down the road. 

Found out that I qualified for the LE/MIL discount with Primary Arms.  Didn't even know about them until over the weekend when I watched a video from Forgotten Firearms and Ian had a guy on from Gideon Optics who used to work for Pimary.  They were also having a site wide sale on everything else so I picked up 200 rounds of ammo too.   Normal MSRP on the PDP is $649 and I walked out of the store with the pistol and ammo + tax for a few dollars under that.  

Side note:  I'm not sure what the general feeling on the board is about Ian McCollum from Forgotten Weapons but I think he's one of the best guntubers out there.  Obviously, his channel is not about the newest whizbang things usually but overall his gun knowledge and presentations are very good.  

• Hook 'Em 2

Finally got around to buying the the pistol that I asked about months ago.   I went with the Walther 5" FS PDP.   I tried out almost 2 dozen guns overall and liked the Walther the best.   There were still others in the running and I might end up buying one of those down the road. 
Found out that I qualified for the LE/MIL discount with Primary Arms.  Didn't even know about them until over the weekend when I watched a video from Forgotten Firearms and Ian had a guy on from Gideon Optics who used to work for Pimary.  They were also having a site wide sale on everything else so I picked up 200 rounds of ammo too.   Normal MSRP on the PDP is $649 and I walked out of the store with the pistol and ammo + tax for a few dollars under that.  
Side note:  I'm not sure what the general feeling on the board is about Ian McCollum from Forgotten Weapons but I think he's one of the best guntubers out there.  Obviously, his channel is not about the newest whizbang things usually but overall his gun knowledge and presentations are very good.  

Nice man! Great guns.

Primary Arms is a legit vendor - based in Houston.

Shoot it!

6 hours ago, Macanudo said:

Always found them interesting.  They are supposed to have polygonal rifling to improve accuracy/performance.  Look forward to feedback

image.png.adf63f0ad89b4c2fb07f13fe56929295.png

The guy who posted those pics followed up with this….

This literally happened to me yesterday! I was shooting some reloaded rounds. I loaded 1 357
round and 4 38 special rounds. I pulled the trigger and boom! The cylinder split in half, hitting the safety wall and bouncing into my arm. Hurt like hell. I was stunned. Almost pooped my pants…these were handloads from a man I would buy from during Covid. Never had a problem but he was old and declining in health. Needless to say I gathered all my handloads and put em aside. I knew gun was totaled but got to thinking, if I got a new frame and cylinder…

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1

Looking to buy my 1st 270....I like the Browning xbolt and the Tikka 3x.  Anyone have any experience on these or perhaps another direction I should look into?  I want a nice firearm that will last me forever and that I can pass down.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

The guy who posted those pics followed up with this….

This literally happened to me yesterday! I was shooting some reloaded rounds. I loaded 1 357
round and 4 38 special rounds. I pulled the trigger and boom! The cylinder split in half, hitting the safety wall and bouncing into my arm. Hurt like hell. I was stunned. Almost pooped my pants…these were handloads from a man I would buy from during Covid. Never had a problem but he was old and declining in health. Needless to say I gathered all my handloads and put em aside. I knew gun was totaled but got to thinking, if I got a new frame and cylinder…

I knew it was reloads. Knew it.
Looking to buy my 1st 270....I like the Browning xbolt and the Tikka 3x.  Anyone have any experience on these or perhaps another direction I should look into?  I want a nice firearm that will last me forever and that I can pass down.

Both nice guns. What is your gun budget sans glass? Why 270 (just curious)?
  • Hook 'Em 2

Tikka has a little better trigger IMO and more aftermarket stock and barrel options. Tikka actions are teflon coated and about as smooth as an action could get. I am getting a rifle chambered in 7 PRC this year, and would be buying a Tikka, but they haven’t started chambering for that round yet.

On 4/7/2024 at 10:54 PM, 686 said:

Mine is adding onto a trust I’ve had for a long time, ugghhhhh. This is a lightweight suppressor I’m thinking about elk hunting with this year, along with a new rifle to go with it, but I need some time to get comfortable with the arrangement. :(

Mine was a trust and took me from submitting around 9/22 and waited till 7/23 to receive my suppressor.

On 4/22/2024 at 12:35 PM, Armybrat said:

Never have seen a Ruger SP101 Kaboom before. 
The guy who posted it hasn’t given any details yet…

IMG_2814.jpeg

IMG_2815.jpeg

When handloads go awry.

Somebody didn't measure twice and cut once.  He's damn lucky he still has all his fingers.   Especially if you choke up on a revolver the way you can with a semi, get your fingers further up and too close to the cylinder.  

20 hours ago, Handcruser said:

I knew it was reloads. Knew it.
Both nice guns. What is your gun budget sans glass? Why 270 (just curious)?

Doesn't it say somewhere in the Old Testament (Leviticus 6.8) that every man shall own at least one .270?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Yes but I believe you must own at least one model 70 .270.   Everything after that is just lagniappe. 

I didn't want to start evangelizing, but we share that common passion I believe. 

• Like 1

On 4/22/2024 at 6:15 PM, Nonbryan said:

No experience with Tikka, but I love my X-bolt.  It was the only .270 I could find with a left-handed bolt.  It drives tacks.  Good feel, relatively light weight.  It's my default weapon when hunting in Texas.  

I added a Mark III in 300 WinMag (also LH) two years ago when I went elk hunting.  If you can spend a little more, I'd look at the Mark III as well.  I was in the same boat as you.  Wanted to get something I could hand down to my son eventually.  The stock is gorgeous.  A bit heavier than the X-bolt, but worth it.

I've put 300+ rounds through the new Walther so far.  I'm glad I went with the 5" instead of the 4.5" because I can really tell the difference in the recoil.  That really stood out this weekend when shooting with a friend who has a Sig 365 X Macro.  That thing is dinky.  

I shoot way better with my Walther.

So here's some pics. 

20240424_142701.jpg

20240424_142648.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Spaulding Smails said:

No experience with Tikka, but I love my X-bolt.  It was the only .270 I could find with a left-handed bolt.  It drives tacks.  Good feel, relatively light weight.  It's my default weapon when hunting in Texas.  

I added a Mark III in 300 WinMag (also LH) two years ago when I went elk hunting.  If you can spend a little more, I'd look at the Mark III as well.  I was in the same boat as you.  Wanted to get something I could hand down to my son eventually.  The stock is gorgeous.  A bit heavier than the X-bolt, but worth it.

No experience with the rifles mentioned, I shoot a 30 plus year old Remington Model 700 BDL with a Leupold Vari-X II 3x9 scope .270 Win for moose. 

I've killed 10 moose in my time up here, all with a .270 Win.  All neck shots, all within 300 yards, and all one shot kills...DRT.

It's my favorite rifle cartridge and can kill any antlered species on the North American continent if you can place your shot.  The .270 makes that possible because it's so easy to shoot.  

• Hook 'Em 2

9 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

There are some outfits that offer it as their only business that I would trust. But just some guy? Nah not for me. 

Well, one may consider something like Buffalo Bore a "hand load" or custom load. While it's not factory ammo, that's an ammo I trust so I guess in that case I make exceptions to my rule if you will.

On 4/22/2024 at 6:15 PM, Nonbryan said:

If you are talking X-Bolt and Tikka 3X (and others in that class), I went through that whole process earlier this year looking at 300WM.  My initial post is here.  If you need something threaded for brakes or suppressors, that will limit your options.

I got the hookup from @Handcruser and input from a lot of other users, and I was hugely fortunate to land this and have been working it out.  I'll post when I have the final set-up for safari (or maybe sooner).

One thing to think about is the X-Bolt 2.  I haven't had a chance to even hold one, but they look very promising compared to the original IMO.

ETA: If in DFW, head over to Scheels and shoulder them / handle them all.  If not a Scheels, any place you can.  For me, confidence in the rifle comes from both accuracy/precision and how it fits me / I like handling it.

Edited by solamente73
  • Hook 'Em 1