The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

18 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

Get an AR.  Stock is adjustable and almost no recoil.  I have a 308 AR my kids shoot and barely flinch.  My daughter is 9.  I would do an AR in the 308 or 6.5 Grendel.

I have a 5.56 and will get him used to shooting with that but I want a traditional bolt action for hunting. Thank you. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Johnny Sack said:

Get an AR.  Stock is adjustable and almost no recoil.  I have a 308 AR my kids shoot and barely flinch.  My daughter is 9.  I would do an AR in the 308 or 6.5 Grendel.

Friend of mine uses a .300blk with a can for his kids.  Minimal recoil and quiet enough that he can talk his kids through each shot in the blind.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Reagan1k said:

CZ 527    Helluva little left handed rifle.  I've killed lots of deer with good .223 loads.  He could practice his ass off without getting beat up.  Many might say .223 is a marginal whitetail round, but having "guided" a lot of inexperienced hunters, I'd much rather them shoot a marginal round well, than a larger round poorly.

cz-usa-527-lux-left-hand.png

I took 8-10 does, a small buck and a javelina between the ages of 5 and 10 with a shortened Remington in .223  The stock and barrel were both shortened so I had a good length of pull as a kid.  Was outshooting my dad on paper targets by 8.

22 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

I make 22” and 24” barrels work without an issue.  It should be fine unless all you have is 4x4 blinds. 

Yeah _ can't honestly think of any time when I really had to make a snap shot out of a box blind when I was unable to carefully and quietly manage a longer barrel.  I think in theory, yeah they are cumbersome, but in reality its not that big of a deal.

Edited by Reagan1k

Long rumored, the CZ acquisition of Colt is done.  Probably no better fit for Colt, as CZ is intent on manufacturing quality guns, and will take that same focus to Colt.

Hopefully, they'll restore some of the shine that Colt products had lost.  Along with the Dan Wesson brand and their own handguns, CZ now has an interesting and historical portfolio for sure. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Reagan1k said:

Long rumored, the CZ acquisition of Colt is done.  Probably no better fit for Colt, as CZ is intent on manufacturing quality guns, and will take that same focus to Colt.

Hopefully, they'll restore some of the shine that Colt products had lost.  Along with the Dan Wesson brand and their own handguns, CZ now has an interesting and historical portfolio for sure. 

Good call out.  I really love everything CZ makes.  It's one of maybe two manufacturers (Ruger) that I could ONLY buy their items for pistols, rifles, carbines, shotguns, and long guns and be completely happy.  

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Reagan1k said:

Colt is an albatross. I wish them luck. 

10 minutes ago, BHMCruiser said:

Colt is an albatross. I wish them luck. 

It'll be a tough road to bring them back, but I think CZ has a good chance to do it.  They're a gun company, and not a hedge fund or similar holding company.  We've all seen how well those operations pan out.

17 minutes ago, Reagan1k said:

It'll be a tough road to bring them back, but I think CZ has a good chance to do it.  They're a gun company, and not a hedge fund or similar holding company.  We've all seen how well those operations pan out.

the problem is that it is virtually impossible to modernize Colt. They have 150 year old machines in 150 year old buildings. Same thing that happened with Remington. It's one thing to buy the name and make everything on CNC machines in Texas. It's another to deal with the unions, the old equipment, the cramped facilities, the hostility of the Connecticut government, etc. 

36 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

So is Remington.  Long in the tooth

That's not the problem. Some of the Remington designs are timeless. The 870 is arguably America's greatest shotgun, and the popularity of the 700 speaks for itself. The problem is that when your goal is to cut costs and squeeze profit out of the company and move on, and not to make the best guns you can in a certain price range, you end up making terrible products. Just pick up a modern 870 and compare it to the entry level Express from 15 years ago. Night and day difference. The new ones have problems. 

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, BHMCruiser said:

the problem is that it is virtually impossible to modernize Colt. They have 150 year old machines in 150 year old buildings. Same thing that happened with Remington. It's one thing to buy the name and make everything on CNC machines in Texas. It's another to deal with the unions, the old equipment, the cramped facilities, the hostility of the Connecticut government, etc. 

Point well taken.

17 minutes ago, BHMCruiser said:

That's not the problem. Some of the Remington designs are timeless. The 870 is arguably America's greatest shotgun, and the popularity of the 700 speaks for itself. The problem is that when your goal is to cut costs and squeeze profit out of the company and move on, and not to make the best guns you can in a certain price range, you end up making terrible products. Just pick up a modern 870 and compare it to the entry level Express from 15 years ago. Night and day difference. The new ones have problems. 

Rem completely missed the boat on two key models:  the 1911 and AR. They've long had consistency issues with their 700 lines and have no real footprint in the polymer pistol game.  Especially compacts and subs.  Then you have general mismanagement and hundreds of millions in carried debt, from the Cerebus acquisition.  

43 minutes ago, BHMCruiser said:

That 150 year old machinery pumped out perfectly fine stuff for the longest time. I suspect that they tried to cut too many costs and ended up putting out crappy stuff. There's no reason they can't modernize and continue to use some of the old stuff for legacy designs like the 1873.

Going to take my LTC class tomorrow.  I let my old one lapse.  I don't conceal carry much these days, but a friend wants to do it and asked if I would take the class with him.

It has changed since the last time I took the class (2005). You can use a revolver or semi to qualify so long as it is a 22 or bigger. Given I have so much 22 ammo compared to my semi auto pistols, I think I am going to take my old S&W 22 of my dad's to qualify. Why not?

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

That 150 year old machinery pumped out perfectly fine stuff for the longest time. I suspect that they tried to cut too many costs and ended up putting out crappy stuff. There's no reason they can't modernize and continue to use some of the old stuff for legacy designs like the 1873.

There's lots of reasons, or they would have done that.

If I have read the right stuff, there’s a big difference between the situations surrounding Remington and Colt over the past 12 months.

When Remington went bankrupt in 2014 or whenever and sold to the PE group that just bankrupted them for the second go around, they were losing money on each round they made. Think about that. Crazy inefficiency.

In their latest bankruptcy, it is my understanding that the PE group essentially sucked all the cash out of the business and made enough money in that way to declare the bankruptcy and sell at a practical loss, and still come out financially ahead.

It is very possible that Colt has been operating under Remington’s original problematic circumstance. If you lose money on every item you sell, and the market picks up and you start selling a lot, it actually accelerates your loss in a market where you should be making a ton of money.

No idea if that is the case but it does bottle the mind a little bit to think that they went broke in this market.

4 hours ago, BHMCruiser said:

colt moved out of their original Hartford factory decades ago. 

Going to take my LTC class tomorrow.  I let my old one lapse.  I don't conceal carry much these days, but a friend wants to do it and asked if I would take the class with him.
It has changed since the last time I took the class (2005). You can use a revolver or semi to qualify so long as it is a 22 or bigger. Given I have so much 22 ammo compared to my semi auto pistols, I think I am going to take my old S&W 22 of my dad's to qualify. Why not?

You should be proficient in what you carry, not what you can qualify in. IMO
  • Hook 'Em 1

I am. Have taken a bunch of shooting courses and practice plenty. I just don't feel like burning a box of ammo for my 5-7 right now, it's hard to find.  I have 5k rounds of 22 long.

I have about 1500 .22 long rounds. But I went through all my .380 and 9mm at the range two weeks before the run on everything. I feels ya.

Just got to the ltc class. I’m at Top Gun in the Galleria area.  A lot different demographics than last time I took it here.  Majority are black.  Several Hispanic. I’m sitting next to a woman from Uganda who is a psychiatrist that immigrated as a child.  

Encouraging to see more types of people doing this.  I’ve heard there were tons of new gun owners that are people of color.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Drool 1

23 hours ago, Gatorubet said:

You should be proficient in what you carry, not what you can qualify in. IMO

+1

Back in the day I used a borrowed S&W 4006 to qualify because all I had were 6-shooter wheel guns. Easy peasy, but wouldn’t tote a cannon like that, so spent considerable time later on with my mouseguns & 9mm as I acquired them.  

Looking for a little help with determining firearm pricing and the best place to list/sell. 

Long story short: was super into collecting for a while, have been totally out of the game for a while other than range time to keep up my personal proficiency. I have several items I just need to clear out and put the funds to better use. It's all modern no vintage stuff. Gunbroker? I am open to suggestions that don't involve me getting murdered in a parking lot. 

19 minutes ago, topochico said:

Looking for a little help with determining firearm pricing and the best place to list/sell. 

Long story short: was super into collecting for a while, have been totally out of the game for a while other than range time to keep up my personal proficiency. I have several items I just need to clear out and put the funds to better use. It's all modern no vintage stuff. Gunbroker? I am open to suggestions that don't involve me getting murdered in a parking lot. 

GunsAmerica?

• Hook 'Em 1

51 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

I bought two boxes of .40 cal FMJ at Top Gun in Houston today.  $40 a box.  Limit two boxes.  They had 9 mm FMJ as well.  I think it was $35.  They were low so would only sell one box.

3 hours ago, topochico said:

Gunbroker, texasguntrader, gunsamerica.  Or post on here and just specify FFL transfers only to avoid being held up in a Denny’s parking lot. 

• Hook 'Em 2

8 hours ago, Reagan1k said:

Gunbroker, texasguntrader, gunsamerica.  Or post on here and just specify FFL transfers only to avoid being held up in a Denny’s parking lot. 

Oh- and if you register for an account the GB, it gives you the ability to search past / closed auctions so you can see what stuff actually sold for.  Much better pricing guide than just seeing what a current listing is.  A lot of those current listings can be “make me sell it” prices that just automatically re-list until some gets desperate or dumb.  Doesn’t mean it’s a real market price one could expect.  
Look at recently sold models with multiple bids for a better gauge. 

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Reagan1k said:

Oh- and if you register for an account the GB, it gives you the ability to search past / closed auctions so you can see what stuff actually sold for.  Much better pricing guide than just seeing what a current listing is.  A lot of those current listings can be “make me sell it” prices that just automatically re-list until some gets desperate or dumb.  Doesn’t mean it’s a real market price one could expect.  
Look at recently sold models with multiple bids for a better gauge. 

Thank Reagan1K. I registered and started looking at GB sold prices, fees etc.  It is going to take awhile to pick through, but the completed item search engine really helps. 

It looks like my 10mm/.45 ammo may be worth more that the Glocks/Sigs/H&K's that goes with it.... breaking up ammo and magazines may be better than the package deal I was thinking with everything initially. Things have certainly changed while I have been out of the loop when you used to just throw in a box or 2 of ammo with the sale. 

Not to turn this into a sale post, but if any Surly DFW regulars are looking for a murder/felony free FTF, PM me. Would want to sell the guns with or before clearing out the ammo.  I can list out what I have, but don't want to hijack this thread. 

1 hour ago, Jkwellborn said:

Take offense with it all you want. Doesn’t change it.

All it takes to be a legal firearm owner in most places is pretty much to not be a felon. So you're basically saying most minorities are felons. I'll give you a chance to rephrase and explain exactly what you mean by that.

15 hours ago, topochico said:

post here.  There are a few specific models I am always looking for and like to buy second hand.  In particular looking for a good .45 like a Ruger SR1911 or another 9mm like Beretta 92 or another PX-4.

All it takes to be a legal firearm owner in most places is pretty much to not be a felon. So you're basically saying most minorities are felons. I'll give you a chance to rephrase and explain exactly what you mean by that.

No, most minorities in the past haven’t been big firearm owners. That’s a fact. Women and other minorities are the biggest reason for the surge in firearm purchases right now. Most that have actually had them have been criminals or in gangs.

Most that have had them have not been in gangs, but you are correct that they haven't historically been big gun owners. I think you underestimate the number of rural minorities who own guns versus the criminal element. But regardless, you are correct that the gun ownership among minorities isn't near what it is among white folks, mostly due to racist gun control policies aimed at disarming them.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, TexasEd said:

post here.  There are a few specific models I am always looking for and like to buy second hand.  In particular looking for a good .45 like a Ruger SR1911 or another 9mm like Beretta 92 or another PX-4.

More than I care to list, but everything from Benelli M2 to S&W 686+ and all points in between. Again, didn't intend to hijack the thread. PM me.