The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

11 hours ago, 686 said:

I shot two whitetail with the factory 375 H&H Superformance GMX 250gr this fall; knocked’em flat, zero tracking job.

6f51588f24fd9ed094fb519f7587976c.jpg

Self-filmed hunting is hard, but I do take my SLR to the stand and take photos

4610eb512c50b20cf34e5c3fc7d883f9.jpg

28693b703bb0400fdbe5139e53e7c8f1.jpg

b5996d7400023dcfce5aa55c0590d13e.jpg

9e8b113c1093b233908e92caa875b87b.jpg

Those are really great pictures.  So where is your place?  Our family land is near Talpa, TX.  Between Coleman and Ballinger.  Quite a different landscape.  Those are big bodied deer.  If I had to guess, those look like S.Texas bloodlines.  

9 hours ago, 686 said:

That’s on a friend’s well managed south Texas place, I shot the wide 8 point there as a “cull”. 

HAHA, ok, just saw this right after I posted my question - yeah, you can really tell S.Texas deer relative to the rest of the state.  Great pictures!

9 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

HAHA, ok, just saw this right after I posted my question - yeah, you can really tell S.Texas deer relative to the rest of the state.  Great pictures!

Thanks, the wide 8 point I shot was 180lbs, my Dad shot a mature 6 point that was 185lbs. This ranch has nice, big bodied deer, but the herd does have a bit of an unfortunate genetic strain of fork-y six points (like that one that is jumping in my last photo).  My friend is trying to preferentially harvest those and low-scoring mature 8 pointers like the one I shot, to the degree possible.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, 686 said:

Thanks, the wide 8 point I shot was 180lbs, my Dad shot a mature 6 point that was 185lbs. This ranch has nice, big bodied deer, but the herd does have a bit of an unfortunate genetic strain of fork-y six points (like that one that is jumping in my last photo).  My friend is trying to preferentially harvest those and low-scoring mature 8 pointers like the one I shot, to the degree possible.

Does he have a biologist that spends a little time out there from time to time?  I worked at managed game ranches when I was in college, and those guys are invaluable.  As is surveying the population (they use drones now).  But man, those big bodies.  I'll take genetic abnormalities any day to get girth like that.  Those necks....

*and speaking of friends with big ass ranches, friend from Odessa sold his oilfield X-ray company pre-fracking crash for some ungodly amount ($50+M) and bought 2k+ acres near us outside of Millersview.  Ran whitetail and exotics.  I say 'ran' because after a few years later he recently he sold it, but i did get to take a giant 8pt, cull similar to the one pictured there with you.  It was a tank.  Genetics from Kansas, I think?  

2 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

Does he have a biologist ...  But man, those big bodies.  Those necks....

Genetics from Kansas, I think?  

Yes, they have a biologist and are MLD. They maintain good pasture conditions, herd numbers/ratios, and have a good feeding program. My friend has only had the place a couple years, he's just been managing the existing genetics, but we have seen a couple of ear tagged does, so the previous owner may have brought a few deer in from elsewhere at some point. The photos were taken at the peak of the rut, so the bucks were about as pumped up as they get. 

1 hour ago, 686 said:

Yes, they have a biologist and are MLD. They maintain good pasture conditions, herd numbers/ratios, and have a good feeding program. My friend has only had the place a couple years, he's just been managing the existing genetics, but we have seen a couple of ear tagged does, so the previous owner may have brought a few deer in from elsewhere at some point. The photos were taken at the peak of the rut, so the bucks were about as pumped up as they get. 

Yeah, we're MLD as well.  It's the pasture work that I need to get on.  Anyone with a bulldozer want to come and play for a few days?  Drinks are on me.....

So, they are ranching and harvesting. When they take a deer they are not hunting. I know guys that actually name their deer.

Sorry, this is a minor thing that makes me surely.

30 minutes ago, HouTex said:

So, they are ranching and harvesting. When they take a deer they are not hunting. I know guys that actually name their deer.

Sorry, this is a minor thing that makes me surely.

I'm not a huge fan of high fences either, but you are overestimating the amount of effort on the owners' part on this place. Its a 5000 acre  investment property with energy-based revenue streams; the deer hunting is just a fringe benefit. They don't sell any hunts or breeder deer, they just pay a guy to occasionally shred the roads and fill the feeders, and invite friends to come help them shoot numbers per the biologist's quota. They don't even run trail cams. These guys (brothers) are really wealthy and travel the world, etc; sifting through trail cam pics and differentiating/tracking/managing individual bucks (like I do on my family's 200 acre low fence central Texas place) is just not something they are interested in. They are actually planning to sell it in the next few years.

Also, just of note, this place is a lot harder to hunt/harvest/whatever than my central Texas place, the brush is very thick and the bucks don't come out much except for the rut. We were shooting does down there in late November/Early Dec. and I didn't see a single 2+ year old buck in three days, then when we came back to hunt bucks on Dec.15th, all the big bucks came out to run does.

Edited by 686
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, 686 said:

I'm not a huge fan of high fences either, but you are overestimating the amount of effort on the owners' part on this place. Its a 5000 acre  investment property with energy-based revenue streams; the deer hunting is just a fringe benefit. They don't sell any hunts or breeder deer, they just pay a guy to occasionally shred the roads and fill the feeders, and invite friends to come help them shoot numbers per the biologist's quota. They don't even run trail cams. These guys (brothers) are really wealthy and travel the world, etc; sifting through trail cam pics and differentiating/tracking/managing individual bucks (like I do on my family's 200 acre low fence central Texas place) is just not something they are interested in. They are actually planning to sell it in the next few years.

Also, just of note, this place is a lot harder to hunt/harvest/whatever than my central Texas place, the brush is very thick and the bucks don't come out much except for the rut. We were shooting does down there in late November/Early Dec. and I didn't see a single 2+ year old buck in three days, then when we came back to hunt bucks on Dec.15th, all the big bucks came out to run does.

There's the dichotomy.  Usually those wealthy enough to purchase such places rarely have the time or inclination to maintain them.  It's damn hard.  And 5000 acres.  Those deer are wild.  And worse, have next to no human interaction (as you see with smaller, adjacent low-fence properties where the deer have more contact).  Having hunted them.  It can be a royal PITA, especially with thick cover.  On average, deer roam about a mile or so.  That's it.  Some more.  Some much more.  Some much less.  So they may not even know there are barriers.  Place like that requires a crap-load of prep and scouting.  Or they pay someone to do it for them.  That's why my friend sold his managed place.  They are money-sucks.  Especially with exotics.  And a biologist them becomes critical as CWD has made it's way to Texas (and should scare the crap out of all of us).  

There's the dichotomy.  Usually those wealthy enough to purchase such places rarely have the time or inclination to maintain them.  

The dynamic I've seen a fair amount on hunting/ranch trips is that the wealthy businessman is somewhat envious of the ranch hand's life out in nature, and the ranch hand is envious of the wealthy businessman's sophisticated life of means.  I really enjoy watching folks from those two spheres share stories/knowledge around the campfire and live vicariously through each other's experiences. A lot of times, it seems that both come away with a renewed appreciation of their own sphere (frequently because the other guy's challenges seem insurmountable from a novice, outside perspective), while also developing a more nuanced/detailed view of the world by better understanding the other guy's sphere.

I used to think that the growing high fence/expensive/guided/etc. hunting market was a negative development (and some of it is), but at the same time, putting big city businessmen and country-raised ranch hands in a blind or around a campfire together is a great thing.

Also, a humble, optimistic prediction: in 20-30 years, it will be en vogue to replace high fences with low fences (on sizeable places).

Edited by 686
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, 686 said:

The dynamic I've seen a fair amount on hunting/ranch trips is that the wealthy businessman is somewhat envious of the ranch hand's life out in nature, and the ranch hand is envious of the wealthy businessman's sophisticated life of means.  I really enjoy watching folks from those two spheres share stories/knowledge around the campfire and live vicariously through each other's experiences. A lot of times, it seems that both come away with a renewed appreciation of their own sphere (frequently because the other guy's challenges seem insurmountable from a novice, outside perspective), while also developing a more nuanced/detailed view of the world by better understanding the other guy's sphere.

I used to think that the growing high fence/expensive/guided/etc. hunting market was a negative development (and some of it is), but at the same time, putting big city businessmen and country-raised ranch hands in a blind or around a campfire together is a great thing.

Also, a humble, optimistic prediction: in 20-30 years, it will be en vogue to replace high fences with low fences (on sizeable places).

I agree.  And also understand that these ranches cost a ton of money, so importing genetics from the upper peninsula of MI, only to see your neighbor cletus on his 20 acres and a single wide hunting your fence line and killing your 180+ typical buck might not make you a happy camper.  I worry about these enclosures facilitating the spread of CWD.  It gets in the soil like parvo.  Deer congregating at the same place YOY can lead to outbreaks.  If the state overreacts, I fear they outlaw hunting over bait (feeders) like so many other states in the south have done.  Think about the hill country.  That rocky, crap soil - trying to engender food plots, stuff like that.  Good luck.  Without equipment that's a huge barrier for many smaller land owners (tractors, quads, etc.)

18 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

I agree.  And also understand that these ranches cost a ton of money, so importing genetics from the upper peninsula of MI, only to see your neighbor cletus on his 20 acres and a single wide hunting your fence line and killing your 180+ typical buck might not make you a happy camper.  I worry about these enclosures facilitating the spread of CWD...

I agree we are taking too much risk regarding CWD, I personally would be in favor of laws banning the import of deer genetics across state lines. It's not worth it. I would also be in favor of a minimum size pasture for a high fence deer operation (say 640 acres or so), but I don't think that is practical. My hope/optimism that high fences will be passe at some point comes from the following:

1.  People understand now that high fence, imported genetics is something different than low fence native genetics. It's even advertised ("Holden Pasture Low Fence Monster Bucks!")
  2. A lot of the "elitist"/hardcore hunters are expressing stronger views against high fences on social media and elsewhere.
  3. Generation Y and Millenials would rather not hunt high fences from what I've seen, both because of a nagging ethics dilemma, and:
  4. If you post a picture of a big buck you shot on social media, people are going ask if it was high fence or low fence, and if the answer is high fence, they are going to ridicule/dismiss it.
  5. I think poaching of trophy deer will decline over the next 20 years, because the younger generations just aren't that into having a big rack of questionable provenance on the wall, and if it's poached, you can't post it on social media or you're going to get caught, because there are cameras everywhere.  (See 271" buck story, etc.)
  6. There is a nexus between the foodie/organic/sustainable eating/living movement and free range hunting that is growing, Steve Rinella is the most visible "leader" of that movement, but there are a lot of other folks like him putting stuff on youtube, etc. that are way more focused on the meat than the antlers.

2 minutes ago, 686 said:

I agree we are taking too much risk regarding CWD, I personally would be in favor of laws banning the import of deer genetics across state lines. It's not worth it. I would also be in favor of a minimum size pasture for a high fence deer operation (say 640 acres or so), but I don't think that is practical. My hope/optimism that high fences will be passe at some point comes from the following:

1.  People understand now that high fence, imported genetics is something different than low fence native genetics. It's even advertised ("Holden Pasture Low Fence Monster Bucks!")
  2. A lot of the "elitist"/hardcore hunters are expressing stronger views against high fences on social media and elsewhere.
  3. Generation Y and Millenials would rather not hunt high fences from what I've seen, both because of a nagging ethics dilemma, and:
  4. If you post a picture of a big buck you shot on social media, people are going ask if it was high fence or low fence, and if the answer is high fence, they are going to ridicule/dismiss it.
  5. I think poaching of trophy deer will decline over the next 20 years, because the younger generations just aren't that into having a big rack of questionable provenance on the wall, and if it's poached, you can't post it on social media or you're going to get caught, because there are cameras everywhere.  (See 271" buck story, etc.)
  6. There is a nexus between the foodie/organic/sustainable eating/living movement and free range hunting that is growing, Steve Rinella is the most visible "leader" of that movement, but there are a lot of other folks like him putting stuff on youtube, etc. that are way more focused on the meat than the antlers.

Agree on all counts.  And I love listening to guys like Rinella.  Meateaters has a permanent spot in my podcast rotation.  His 2-part account of the bear hunt on Afognak island.  Bears are monsters.  Giant.  Vicious.  Historic.  Monsters.  And his account of the speed and stealth.  The dumb-luck in escaping.  The guy that flipped up on top, and rode the grizzly.  Man...

And for me, it's a huge part of hunting.  Ethically harvesting meat.  I have a few trophies on the wall - trophy size for me.  Not most.  But each have a story that goes with them.  That, to me makes all the difference.

I think we may see a requirement for high fence ranches doing a double fence deal where there is a neutral buffer zone in the future to combat CWD. Also complete restrictions on importing deer from other states or areas in Texas with confirmed CWD. Unfortunately there is no way to test a live deer, so every dead deer will have to be tested in the future from these places. Importing genetics in the form of sperm will probably be OK. I'm not a big fan of the deer breeding industry in a personal level, but if others are ok with it and hunting those places I don't have a problem with it. I worked for a couple places, including one where CWD was found, and I do worry that some of those folks will do whatever shady stuff they can to get around regulations. A lot of the owners of deer breeding operations are rich dicks who think they are above the rules.

2 hours ago, cabowabo said:

Picked up my first can yesterday....a Silencerco Omega 9k.
d7f9616618e9b7f3fc1185ca88f34ddd.jpga2cf633d1fe3130e6449dffe6c8d4a5b.jpgdd13744f0391bdb574b23eab43b6fe4b.jpg

Awesome!  CZ makes a fantastic product.  Don't see many Scorpions around these days.  Scorpion with a can, shooting sub-sonics with a IR on top, maybe one of the best HD platforms out there.  

FYI-  the summer slowdown and overall political climate have really whacked gun sales and ammo too.

Big ammo shops are dumping inventory. 

Just got an email from SG Ammo and they’re cutting prices and even refunding recent purchases for price protection to keep repeat buyers happy. 

Lot of deals out there on qty buys or bulk purchase if you need to stock up.  SGammo.com among others. 

Took this dirty bastard out last night with my aforementioned 300 blackout pistol hosting a Silencerco Omega 9k. Used some Hornady 190gr Sub-X ammo, and it did the job. Hit another but did not find him. The sound of the bullets whacking these beasts was badass.4c7bdf6179e6a3d0fda8848f073149fa.jpg

• Like 6

On 6/16/2018 at 1:28 PM, cabowabo said:

Took this dirty bastard out last night with my aforementioned 300 blackout pistol hosting a Silencerco Omega 9k. Used some Hornady 190gr Sub-X ammo, and it did the job. Hit another but did not find him. The sound of the bullets whacking these beasts was badass.4c7bdf6179e6a3d0fda8848f073149fa.jpg

What optic is that?

1 hour ago, HOOKEM4 said:

I need something for night hunting. These pig fuckers only come around at 3am. I have a bunch to kill.

If you're not wanting to invest in low light optics or IR, look at those motion activated green lights that attach to the bottom of feeders.  They give off enough to sight on, don't cost much, and work reasonably well.  

If you're not wanting to invest in low light optics or IR, look at those motion activated green lights that attach to the bottom of feeders.  They give off enough to sight on, don't cost much, and work reasonably well.  

They work fine for me. 8c06c132616f02a7a8e786e9e4dc4f0f.jpg

9 hours ago, cabowabo said:

This would make a real fun plinking gun.

10mm!  Nice.  Guy I know has one (.45acp).  He's an attorney , wife's an OB, buys ammo online in four digits only.  We've taken it out to my place along with an assortment of other toys.  They.  Are.  Nice.  Heavy, stable, solid.  Zero felt recoil.  He's taken a few advanced carbine classes with it and he loves it!  And it can fold up into any small bag.

12 hours ago, Lat22 said:

They work fine for me. 8c06c132616f02a7a8e786e9e4dc4f0f.jpg

Roger that!  So we've had some success setting up separate areas for the pigs with these lights.  Anchored, upright railroad ties covered in creosote.  Attach a large diameter, capped piece of PVC pipe with dime sized holes cut in it with a swivel and a cable on top.  Like a tether ball.  Corn soaked in big red, or kool aid or whatever.  Drives them wild.  Then set up the light on a pole or something.  Keeps them off the main feeders somewhat.