The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

2 minutes ago, Beveaux said:

The barrel in the picture is 410/45 acp.  I have another 6" barrel that is 357/38 sp.

Sits on my desk.

Fired one once chambered in 45LC.  Once...It's a tie for sorest wrist between that and a .357 Mag from a ultra-light S&W titanium framed revolver with a 2in. barrel with no gloves.  Wrist felt like I'd gabbed an electric fence.  

1 hour ago, BabaYaga said:

Roger that!  So we've had some success setting up separate areas for the pigs with these lights.  Anchored, upright railroad ties covered in creosote.  Attach a large diameter, capped piece of PVC pipe with dime sized holes cut in it with a swivel and a cable on top.  Like a tether ball.  Corn soaked in big red, or kool aid or whatever.  Drives them wild.  Then set up the light on a pole or something.  Keeps them off the main feeders somewhat.  

I think we're gonna need an MS Paint diagram here.

8 minutes ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

I think we're gonna need an MS Paint diagram here.

Hog pipe

Reason to use the cross tie covered in creosote is that fuggers love to rub all over it.  Giant scratching post.  So make sure it's anchored deep.  I've seen them pay as much attention to the post as the corn.  Swivel is the key.  They'll bat that thing around like a tether ball.  Small holes allow for small amounts of fermented corn to be released.  So it can get wrapped around and break if not.  You set back away from your other feeders if you like.  Near water, etc.  On one, we also dug a deep hole and filled it with fermented corn soaked in big red.  Then buried it.  That drove them crazy.  They'd hit that spot for weeks.  Deer want nothing to do with it. 

Get Jeff Bezos to donate $$ to your favorite charity...

What is AmazonSmile? AmazonSmile is a simple and automatic way for you to support your favorite charitable organization every time you shop, at no cost to you. When you shop at smile.amazon.com, you’ll find the exact same low prices, vast selection and convenient shopping experience as Amazon.com, with the added bonus that Amazon will donate a portion of the purchase price to your favorite charitable organization. You can choose from over one million organizations to support.

I chose for my charitable group :

https://www.tsrafoundation.com/page/show/2263803-who-is-the-tsra-foundation-inc

Oh gee - the search for that charity on Bezos' website yielded no results. 9_9 

Edited by Armybrat

12 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

Hog pipe

Reason to use the cross tie covered in creosote is that fuggers love to rub all over it.  Giant scratching post.  So make sure it's anchored deep.  I've seen them pay as much attention to the post as the corn.  Swivel is the key.  They'll bat that thing around like a tether ball.  Small holes allow for small amounts of fermented corn to be released.  So it can get wrapped around and break if not.  You set back away from your other feeders if you like.  Near water, etc.  On one, we also dug a deep hole and filled it with fermented corn soaked in big red.  Then buried it.  That drove them crazy.  They'd hit that spot for weeks.  Deer want nothing to do with it. 

This man knows a little something about shanking the swine. 

Better get your bids in.....

https://www.proxibid.com/aspr/C-Extraordinarily-Rare-Original-Crate-of-10-Unissued-Winchester-Model-1895-Carbines/42377831/LotDetail.asp?lid=42377831&rts=/asp/searchadvanced_i.asp%23searchid%3D0%26type%3Dlot%26search%3D1895%2Bwinchester%26sort%3Drelevance%26view%3Dgallery%26length%3D25%26start%3D1%26refine%3D#topoflot

Firearms & Military Artifacts > Firearms Day 1

(C) Extraordinarily Rare Original Crate of 10 Unissued Winchester Model 1895 Carbines.

View Item in Catalog
(C) Extraordinarily Rare Original Crate of 10 Unissued Winchester Model 1895 Carbines.

Lot #87  (Sale Order: 86 of 546)  
PASSED

This lot was not sold.

Reserve Not Met

"Tax, Shipping & Handling and Internet Premium not
included. See Auction Information for full details."

Payment Type:

Payment Type: Please Add / Select Card

closeicon.png
Bid Range Increment
$0.00 - $499.99 $25.00
$500.00 - $999.99 $50.00
$1,000.00 - $1,999.99 $100.00
$2,000.00 - $4,999.99 $250.00
$5,000.00+ $500.00
(C) Extraordinarily Rare Original Crate of 10 Unissued Winchester Model 1895 Carbines. Image 1

Description Terms of sale Vehicle History
Item Description: Translate description
Low Estimate: 75,000High Estimate: 90,000
This original crate of ten 1895 Winchester Saddle Ring Carbines chambered for .30-40 Krag are in a unbelievable state of preservation. Believed to one of two remaining crates in existence. These Winchesters where discovered by the late Herb Glass Sr. in Texas in the 1950's. All ten carbines have 22" round barrels with saddle ring and walnut stocks. These still have the Winchester factory shop assembly and inspection tags as well as the Winchester instruction envelope that contains instructions for proper use. These 1895 carbines where produced in 1917. The condition of the guns are in as new condition with very slight traces of the levers having been operated to verify that they where not loaded. No indication of actual use exist. Packaged in the original wooden Winchester shipping crate with all partitions. The ends of the crate are marked "10 CARBINES MODEL 1895" This is ink stamper in black over the block "W" inked in red. These Winchesters where discovered in Texas in a warehouse that belonged to a railroad. Mr. Glass purchased several cases of 1895's and 1894's and kept two complete cases of each and sold the others individually. These rifles where believed to have been intended for the British Home Guard during World War I. When the invasion of England never came about these rifles where sold in the United States and apparently where purchased by the railroad for security and guard use. The pristine carbines with the slight cycling marks with their original crate that has a custom made Plexiglas top so you can view the guns while still protected is a remarkable opportunity. The case has several areas of minor distress and the Plexiglas has several minor scuffs. The crate comes with a stand that was built to elevate it approximately 10" so it could be used as a table and be more easily viewed. From the Ray Bentley Collection.Accessories: Barrel Length: 22"Caliber/Bore: .30-40 KragFFL Status: Curio & RelicManufacturer: WinchesterModel: 1895Serial Number: 401404, 401407, 401411, 401434, 7, 4401441, 4014501471, 401508, 401562, 401605
Edited by Armybrat
  • Like 2

I love the historical stuff, especially rifles. 

Got my license to kill (technically they call it an LTC) in the mail. I'll carry once just to say I've done it and then as needed. I have a CZ83 but it's double stacked, thick.  Really like the Taurus Millenium G2, saw them at the gun show for $209.  Hell of a tiny carry piece.

Edited by Thetexashammer

Never have seen either one, but I were to go cheap, I'd carry a Kel Tec P11 (10+1) over the 12+1 Taurus. Considerably smaller and only 2/3 the weight for about $20 more.

https://www.keltecweapons.com/pistols/p-11

If  Ruger decided to lop 1" off their 15+1 Security 9 barrel,  I would definitely buy one and carry it over both the Taurus & Kel Tec:

https://ruger.com/products/security9/specSheets/3810.html

Edited by Armybrat

On 6/22/2018 at 2:28 PM, Armybrat said:

Better get your bids in.....

https://www.proxibid.com/aspr/C-Extraordinarily-Rare-Original-Crate-of-10-Unissued-Winchester-Model-1895-Carbines/42377831/LotDetail.asp?lid=42377831&rts=/asp/searchadvanced_i.asp%23searchid%3D0%26type%3Dlot%26search%3D1895%2Bwinchester%26sort%3Drelevance%26view%3Dgallery%26length%3D25%26start%3D1%26refine%3D#topoflot

Firearms & Military Artifacts > Firearms Day 1

View Item in Catalog

Lot #87  (Sale Order: 86 of 546)  
PASSED

This lot was not sold.

Reserve Not Met

"Tax, Shipping & Handling and Internet Premium not
included. See Auction Information for full details."

Payment Type:

Payment Type: Please Add / Select Card

closeicon.png
Bid Range Increment
$0.00 - $499.99 $25.00
$500.00 - $999.99 $50.00
$1,000.00 - $1,999.99 $100.00
$2,000.00 - $4,999.99 $250.00
$5,000.00+ $500.00
(C) Extraordinarily Rare Original Crate of 10 Unissued Winchester Model 1895 Carbines. Image 1

Description Terms of sale Vehicle History
Item Description: Translate description
Low Estimate: 75,000High Estimate: 90,000
This original crate of ten 1895 Winchester Saddle Ring Carbines chambered for .30-40 Krag are in a unbelievable state of preservation. Believed to one of two remaining crates in existence. These Winchesters where discovered by the late Herb Glass Sr. in Texas in the 1950's. All ten carbines have 22" round barrels with saddle ring and walnut stocks. These still have the Winchester factory shop assembly and inspection tags as well as the Winchester instruction envelope that contains instructions for proper use. These 1895 carbines where produced in 1917. The condition of the guns are in as new condition with very slight traces of the levers having been operated to verify that they where not loaded. No indication of actual use exist. Packaged in the original wooden Winchester shipping crate with all partitions. The ends of the crate are marked "10 CARBINES MODEL 1895" This is ink stamper in black over the block "W" inked in red. These Winchesters where discovered in Texas in a warehouse that belonged to a railroad. Mr. Glass purchased several cases of 1895's and 1894's and kept two complete cases of each and sold the others individually. These rifles where believed to have been intended for the British Home Guard during World War I. When the invasion of England never came about these rifles where sold in the United States and apparently where purchased by the railroad for security and guard use. The pristine carbines with the slight cycling marks with their original crate that has a custom made Plexiglas top so you can view the guns while still protected is a remarkable opportunity. The case has several areas of minor distress and the Plexiglas has several minor scuffs. The crate comes with a stand that was built to elevate it approximately 10" so it could be used as a table and be more easily viewed. From the Ray Bentley Collection.Accessories: Barrel Length: 22"Caliber/Bore: .30-40 KragFFL Status: Curio & RelicManufacturer: WinchesterModel: 1895Serial Number: 401404, 401407, 401411, 401434, 7, 4401441, 4014501471, 401508, 401562, 401605

Holy hell. That is fantastic!

2 hours ago, williemackgarza said:

Anyone have a sig 365?
Intriguing but the rumblings on the striker pin drag msrks on primers has me concerned.
Any real life reports?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd go up slightly on price and look at the P938.  They are really nice.  

If any of you guys in the Austin/SA area are interested in:

CZ-P10C 9mm black, like new condition, one owner, box, mags, receipt for purchase, maybe 100 rounds thru it (~$450)

SA XD-9mm black 4",  like new condition, one owner, box, mags, XD accessories, maybe 200 rounds thru it (~$400)

Taurus Millenium PT140 40 cal, good condition (~$325)

or all 3 for $1,100

PM me

58 minutes ago, RowdyVic said:

CA Canik. Been interested in this model for a little while. Anyone have experience with these?

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/century-arms-canik-tp9sf-semi-automatic-9mm-45-barrel-desert-tan-181-rounds?a=2143225

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

Walther P99 copy/remake/clone (whatever, the P99 is a fantastic pistol).  I have limited experience with CA.  And yes, you do get what you pay for.  Probably not cerakote coated as advertised, but just paint.  Etc.

What I will say is the trigger on the Walther is LIGHT for a striker-fired pistol.  5.5lbs.  Same as the CA.  And I can tell you (read online about it) a big issues shooters have with the Walther is double-tapping the first shot.  It's a light trigger re-set.  Can be dangerous is you are not ready.  At the range, you may put the first shot on paper, and the next in the floor/table in front of you if you drop your sights to check your target.  You can train to this.  Not a huge deal.  Almost every aftermarket "trigger job" is to lighten the pull.  Just be careful.

I'm looking at the TP9SFX since I wound up with an RMR sight. Everyone seems to rave about the triggers, though lately there's been talk of them increasing the trigger pull weight. There's stuff on forums about which springs to put in it to return it to a very light pull.

Anyone buying up their gun want list before sales tax kicks in everywhere?

On 6/26/2018 at 7:03 AM, williemackgarza said:

Anyone have a sig 365?
Intriguing but the rumblings on the striker pin drag msrks on primers has me concerned.
Any real life reports?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought one for concealed carry a couple of months ago.  I've probably got 600 rounds through it and no failures, so far.  It has been a great gun.  I bought it to replace my Sig P938 which has been a very nice carry gun.  Just interested in the additional capacity of the 365.  They are practically the same size.

Lot of complaints about the 4k. The picture quality through the viewfinder is not too good. Very washed out. Quality of recorded video is good. Hopefully they get the bugs worked out via firmware updates. I just got mine Friday, so not sure if I'm keeping it. First mission tonight.

13 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Anybody else looked at the new .45-70 auto made by Phoenix Weaponry? It's a .45-70 with the rim turned down to make it a rimless cartridge that will fit in an AR10 platform. Looks like a lot of fun, but expensive.

There are already a ton of aftermarket uppers for the .50 Beowulf.  Not "quite" on the level of the vulnerable 45-70, but it's close.  .458 SOCOM is another.  I have a friend with a Chiappa 45-70 stainless.  Fun gun.  He reloads, so the cost per round stays lower.  I'd like to get a longer gun and stretch either the legs of a 45-70 (trapdoor like a Springfield) or rolling block (Quigley down under style) in 45-90.

On 7/7/2018 at 10:35 AM, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

Anyone have experience with helmet mounted NV binoculars and laser pointers?

I’m making my 300 BO into my pig rig and weighing my options on a thermal mounted scope vs the above option. Lean toward the binoculars so that I can view areas more easily than having to look through the scope to see anything.

I have both (actually employ a thermal scope scope for locating and the NV/IR for shooting). I use a DBAL mil-spec laser and helmet mounted mil-spec PVS14 NV monocular. With a properly sighted laser and sufficient practice, it can be quite efficient. Still not something I’d recommend for longer distance targeting. Even the entry level thermal scopes are not ideal beyond say 50 yards. Successful night hunting is about stalking (pigs) or setting up downwind with a predator call and baiting them in close. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, thestud said:

That's what we did and we had great success. Pull up to a field and use the thermal to scan for activity, then move in and use the IR to knock them down. We were using the Sightmark Photon 5.5-50 and I really liked it. When we used the ATN a week later I didn't like it near as much; that combined with the equipment malfunctions of the ATN set up were enough to pretty much ruin the night. We have an XQ38 from Pulsar on the way to us that should be here this coming week. Hopefully will have some video to upload here by the end of the week.

What do you use for NV?

19 minutes ago, thestud said:

Forgive my ignorance, but without googling it what exactly is the difference in IR and NV? I may be totally screwing this all up, but the green vision is the NV right? That was the ATN we used last week and it didn't fare so well. The one that has grey/white was the aforementioned Sightmark and we really liked it. Long battery life, really easy to see critters and only took two shots to zero out.  I'm new to this whole night hunting game so forgive me if I just bastardized the fuck out of everything.

Perfectly sound question. Traditional NV uses photocathodes and phosphor to amplify very very low ambient light to make it visible. The phosphors give it the iconic “green image” you see through the scope (like every military movie). It can be “amplified” with an infrared illuminator (invisible flashlight). You pair this with an infrared laser which is obviously only visible to the wearer of NV.  All infrared is is low low invisible levels of light  but not invisible to a highly sensitive NV setup.

ATN uses thermal a lot I know. Very different. No idea what tech they use for their night vision lineup. Probably something like above but digital in nature (like a modern camera)?

Edited by Bert Orange

I’ve used the quads, PSQ-36’s, and PVS-31’s in White Phosphor.  I’ve you afford, the fusion systems are the best (PSQ-20, PSQ-36).  Can pinpoint people or pigs using thermal and still have ability to overlay your laser using the nv.  I think ultimate night vision makes a cheaper version using a thermal and and 14 bridged together.  The quads give much more FOV, but are heavy as shit.

4 hours ago, deft said:

I can’t even tell what this thread is about anymore.

Here you go... a little something that may be familiar:

(my 1975 production Ruger Service Six .357 - gifted to my middle son 25 years ago)

Guns082.jpg

Edited by Armybrat
  • Like 1

Finished a new holster. It's a three way holster I designed myself, because who doesn't like a three way?

39T3NycL_o.jpg

This is what the back looks like. You can see the belt slots that go between the two pieces of leather on the back here.

dss2vumm_o.jpg

In addition to wearing it like a traditional western holster with the belt going in between the body of the holster and the skirt, these slots allow it to be worn like this for a high strong side carry:

q3gl3orN_o.jpg

Or like this for small or back carry:

XgpSs81a_o.jpg

• Like 6

Ammo question...

when do you guys buy? How much do you buy? 

Saw .223 for 28 cents a round yesterday and bought 1000 rounds. I already have a good stock 700-800 rounds but bought more because it was cheaper than 30 cents a round. Did the same with 22lr and ended up with like 3000 rounds. 

No idea what is standard stocking levels and what puts me into the “crazy” range.