The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

Have about 2K of green-tip .223 and a few assorted boxes of match BTHP and SP.  

Maybe 10K of .22lr.  Will double that soon.  This is my shtf supply.

1K of 45acp and the same with 9mm - so I'm getting low on these

I have a pre-64 Model 70 Featherweight that only eats Winchester Super-X 130gr.  So I have maybe 10 boxes left.  

Started downsizing several years ago - gave both my ARs away along with about 2k rounds of ammo to my sons.

Keep roughly 300-500 rounds per handgun still in the safe.  Maybe 3 or 4 boxes of .30-30 for the old M 1894 Winchester. Have 7 bricks of .22 LR left for 2 handguns & a couple of rifles. Couple of boxes of 00 for the Winchester Defender.

One round of .44 Rimfire for the Henry rifle. :P

Most of that is getting moved to the sons this weekend.

Edited by Armybrat

5 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Started downsizing several years ago - gave both my ARs away along with about 2k rounds of ammo to my sons.

Keep roughly 300-500 rounds per handgun still in the safe.  Maybe 3 or 4 boxes of .30-30 for the old M 1894 Winchester. Have 7 bricks of .22 LR left for 2 handguns & a couple of rifles. Couple of boxes of 00 for the Winchester Defender.

One round of .44 Rimfire for the Henry rifle. :P

Most of that is getting moved to the sons this weekend.

Daddy....is that you?

22lr - 11,000

17hmr -1500

5.56 - 7,000

.243 - 500

.270 - 460

6.5Gren - 400

300Blk - 900

7.65x54R - 250

30 carbine - 1000

.308 - 1000

00 buck - 500

9mm -1200

32H&R - 200 / .327Fed - 200

.45 - 870

.40 - 900

10mm - 1500

I batch my buys to get freight paid and shop around a lot.  Seldom ever buy a box here or there.....mostly scan the bulk guys and take advantage when they offer free freight on larger dollar figures.

Edited by Reagan1k
  • Like 1

Keep 1000 rounds of 9mm and 500 rounds of .45 acp in my truck at all times.  Shoot at least 100 rounds per week doing various training exercises.  

1000 rounds of .223, mostly Hornady 55 grain soft point.

600 rounds of my own reloads 30-06 in various Africa culling weights.  One for deer sized game, one for wilde/zebra, one for eland/hippo/giraffe size.  

100 rounds of my own reloads .416 Rigby for ele/buff.

20 boxes of .410 2 1/2 inch, 1/2 ounce for dove/quail 

1000 rounds or so of miscellaneous .308, .243, .22 Mag, .38 Special, .357 Mag, .41 Mag, .44 Mag, .45 LC, etc...

2 hours ago, bigshark88 said:

Any Sig 320 owners here?  Thoughts on the Apex flat trigger?  

How do you know if your gun needs to get fixed for the recall?  Does the Apex flat trigger solve the recall issue?   

Yes and recall depends on serial number (don’t know how long you’ve owned it). I put the Sig SRT on mine. No idea how the trigger swap would affect the spring that causes the drop fire. 

22lr - 11,000
17hmr -1500
5.56 - 7,000
.243 - 500
.270 - 460
6.5Gren - 400
300Blk - 900
7.65x54R - 250
30 carbine - 1000
.308 - 1000
00 buck - 500
9mm -1200
32H&R - 200 / .327Fed - 200
.45 - 870
.40 - 900
10mm - 1500
I batch my buys to get freight paid and shop around a lot.  Seldom ever buy a box here or there.....mostly scan the bulk guys and take advantage when they offer free freight on larger dollar figures.

What is the usual case for free shipping?

People frequently ask what handgun they should get for a female, whether for concealed carry, range shooting, home defense, or any combination of those.  I've seem opinions ranging from small-frame revolver (dainty and simple to use?) to "go to a range, let her shoot a bunch of different ones, and let her pick which one she likes" and everything in between.  I don't recall seeing it referenced on TOS or here, so I thought I'd post about American Rifleman's two-part non-scientific study called the Ladies Pistol Project that tried to help answer these kinds of questions:

The first American Rifleman Ladies Pistol Project, conducted in summer of 2016, grew out of basic curiosity: Were certain guns that were regularly purported to be “good for women” just that—and if so, why? To test the assertions that these guns, and several others, were indeed the trending favorites by many women, 35 women participated in an exhaustive range session, firing 18 handguns of various sizes, action types, weights and calibers, then offered feedback on each gun through individual surveys.

In the summer of 2017 Ladies Pistol Project II commenced, which focused primarily on .380 ACP and 9 mm semi-automatic pistols that might be used for concealed carry. The number of pistols was increased to 24, and the number of female participants rose to 55. 

The links at the end of this post lead to the complete articles and results (which primarily key on small-medium-large hand size).  The cumulative (across all hand sizes) results were as follows:

Ladies Pistol Project I (all purposes) Cumulative Results:

1. SIG Sauer P238
  2. Walther CCP
  3. SIG Sauer P320
  4. H&K VP9
  5. Springfield EMP4

Ladies Pistol Project II (concealed carry) Cumulative Results*:

1. Glock 19
  2. SIG Sauer P238
  3. H&K VP9SK
  4. Walther PPS M2
  5. Glock 43

*Note: the participants didn't actually conceal carry the pistols and only shot them at the range.

Analysis post-Pistol Project II

The Glock 19 had the highest averages of the 24 pistols. Overall, the women showed an equal preference for the placement of features on the SIG Sauer P238, the Glock 19 and the SIG Sauer 938. For ease of use, the Glock 19 fared the highest. In terms of comfort and feel, the women chose the Smith & Wesson M&P Shield (Performance Center model), as well as the Walther PK380. The pistol that more women said they would purchase and carry is the Glock 19.

Additionally:

• Women prefer 9 mm to .380 cal.
  • Women prefer 3.25” or greater length barrel
  • Women prefer a gun with a weight of 20 oz. or more
  • Women are divided on SAO, but prefer striker-fired pistols
  • Women prefer greater than 6 lb but less than 7 lb. trigger pull
  • Women preferred the pistols that cost more than $500 (the women were not advised of price in advance)

An important correlation that can be drawn from Ladies Pistol Project II is that the results validated the results from LPP I. While various sizes of handguns were included in the first study, the sample guns in LPP II were decidedly smaller in order to focus semi-automatic pistols that might be used for concealed carry. In both studies the data shows that women prefer a larger handgun in terms of weight and barrel length.

Thus, when fitting a handgun to a particular woman, consideration must be given to the specifications of a pistol as opposed to which specific pistol the women preferred.

[insert size, length, and expensive tastes jokes here]

Anyway, I found the "studies" to be interesting.  Links are below.  Enjoy.

Ladies Pistol Project I

Ladies Pistol Project II

Edited by solamente73
Only 1 revolver made a top 5 finish. In the LPP1, the Smith & Wesson 67-5 finished 3rd for women with large hands
  • Like 1

Alright guys... Need some thoughts.  I've been given the following inventory list and don't know were to go to price them or to know what is a good gun, bad gun, collector gun, etc..  Some is pretty evident but I'm not a historian on others.  All of these are for sale from a good family friend.  Myself and my father are the only two that have seen the list thus far.

- Two SKB 12 guages.  Double Barrel.  One is 2 3/4" model number 600 and one is 3" model number 605.

- 1 Bursa series 95 in .380

- 1 Remington 30-06 woodmaster 742

- 2 spanish falcon side by side 20 guages

- 3 winchester 1400 MKII 20 guages

- 4 winchester model 50 20 guages

- Hopkins & Allen single shot 12 gauge - pre-1915 unit #537

- Remington 20 gauge 1100

- Remington 12 gauge model number 11

- Matador 410 side by side

not knowing shit I think the obvious ones to look at are the 410, the SKB 12 guages, and the H&A pre-1915.  I'm sure Brat will have some advice.  Knowing the man who owned them, I would guess that each gun is in B+ or better condition.  He was a dentist that carved wood ducks from single wood pieces for fun.  Everything in his house today was immaculate.  Every tool in his shop was in A+ condition and none were younger than 10 years old. 

20 hours ago, Jhawk said:

Alright guys... Need some thoughts.  I've been given the following inventory list and don't know were to go to price them or to know what is a good gun, bad gun, collector gun, etc..  Some is pretty evident but I'm not a historian on others.  All of these are for sale from a good family friend.  Myself and my father are the only two that have seen the list thus far.

- Two SKB 12 guages.  Double Barrel.  One is 2 3/4" model number 600 and one is 3" model number 605.

- 1 Bursa series 95 in .380

- 1 Remington 30-06 woodmaster 742

- 2 spanish falcon side by side 20 guages

- 3 winchester 1400 MKII 20 guages

- 4 winchester model 50 20 guages

- Hopkins & Allen single shot 12 gauge - pre-1915 unit #537

- Remington 20 gauge 1100

- Remington 12 gauge model number 11

- Matador 410 side by side

not knowing shit I think the obvious ones to look at are the 410, the SKB 12 guages, and the H&A pre-1915.  I'm sure Brat will have some advice.  Knowing the man who owned them, I would guess that each gun is in B+ or better condition.  He was a dentist that carved wood ducks from single wood pieces for fun.  Everything in his house today was immaculate.  Every tool in his shop was in A+ condition and none were younger than 10 years old. 

Some shops may have value/pricing options.  We took an old Pre-64 Winchester .257 Roberts to McBrides in Austin to have it priced out.  Then there are pawn shops if you want the lowest possible price.  

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

Some shops may have value/pricing options.  We took an old Pre-64 Winchester .257 Roberts to McBrides in Austin to have it priced out.  Then there are pawn shops if you want the lowest possible price.  

^^  This if you want to mess with it.

Gunbroker Buy-it-Now or minimum bid pricing on comparable if you don't want to go out in this heat.

34 minutes ago, thestud said:

I have the Ruger American Predator in 6.5 with a Vortex Crossfire II 6-24x50 that I’ll put up against anybody anywhere.

Good gun.  Good glass.  About as good as it gets for the money there.  In terms of accuracy, that platform with that caliber - just how accurate is it?  1 MOA?  .5?

Edited by BabaYaga

Any feedback on rifle training courses?

I didn’t grow up hunting so I have a lot to learn and wanted to learn from guys that really know what they are doing. I’m mostly a 1-200 yard blind hunter but I’d like to learn longer shooting skills as well as windage adjustments, etc.
I was looking at VX Marksmanship out of Decatur for either their 3 or 5 day carbine courses as reference.

11 hours ago, thestud said:

sub 1. I punched the bull out of the paper at 100 and then 200 yards to zero it out. She'll reach out and touch a motherfucker at 500 with ease. Haven't taken a shot longer than that....yet

I've seen videos of guys taking that same setup, essentially stock (added check rest and bipods.  No trigger work or stock adjustments) and rang steel @ 1,000yds.  So yeah, that's my next rifle.  I've got a Ruger M77 Target in 22-250 that will bring the pain to prairie dogs, varmints, and hogs @ 500+yds...so I'm somewhat of a fanboy of the brand.  

11 hours ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

Any feedback on rifle training courses?

I didn’t grow up hunting so I have a lot to learn and wanted to learn from guys that really know what they are doing. I’m mostly a 1-200 yard blind hunter but I’d like to learn longer shooting skills as well as windage adjustments, etc.
I was looking at VX Marksmanship out of Decatur for either their 3 or 5 day carbine courses as reference.

Do it.  Go down that rabbit hole and never come out.  Had the pleasure to live with a few long-range shooters when i was younger (retired military) as well as a good friend that's a SWAT sniper.  It's not hard.  And when you hear that "ping"....and the dust jumps around the target.  You think hitting a perfect tee shot grabs you....that's nothing.  

• Like 1

On 7/30/2018 at 7:53 PM, Jkwellborn said:

I feel like any decent gun should be capable of 1 moa these days.

Yeah, at least if it's a platform that lends itself to accuracy. Obviously not all lever guns and such will be that good. But you would probably have to build up a load to get there with some guns versus using factory ammo.

If you aren’t on your way to purchase one right now I question what exactly you are doing with your life. This gun is awesome.

Any other platforms other than the Ruger that come highly recommended? My budget is around $3k for rifle & scope.

I’ve handled the Ruger and am not a huge fan of the stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ruger makes their Precision model in 6.5 and it’s pretty sharp. I have it in .308 and am contemplating selling it to go with the 6.5 and consolidate ammo as well.

I like that platform, I think it might be a bit heavy for crawling around NM.

I just bought the Savage MSR 10 in 6.5 Creedmoor.  It's only 8 lbs.  It's also on sale at Academy.

On an unrelated note,  I'm 39 days beyond my Form 4 approval date and still don't have my stamp.  We've faxed the ATF a request for a certified copy.  I thought the 7 month wait was bad.  This last month has been torture.

5 hours ago, tequila said:

I like that platform, I think it might be a bit heavy for crawling around NM.

Elk/Mulies?  You want to drop that coin on a production, hunting set-up?  I'd be looking in no particular order:

• Browning X-Bolt Hells Canyon Long Range
  • Sako A7
  • Tikka T3
  • Kimber Mountain Ascent (most expensive, but lightest)

Then I'd drop no less than a grand on top quality glass like the Vortex Razor HD.  Assuming you also have some quality bino's?  Very few modern production rifles can't make a 500yd shot if you do your part.  But in high country, you have to have great optics.  Including a spotting scope if you are really glassing long distances.  Something to think about.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, tequila said:

Antelope.  Any thoughts on Weatherby's?  Specifically the Mark V Arroyo series.  Still well made?  

Great gun (just make sure your glass is of equal quality).  Just maybe not $3K worth of great gun?  I love the Mark V lines.  They are essentially pseudo-custom platforms.  But I'm not convinced they are going to consistently out shoot this wave of new production rifles; specifically Tikka and Sako.  I'm also not 100% sold on their propriety calibers.  They are all screamers, for sure.  But are slight velocity advantages worth spending the extra premium?  Up to you.  But you're not going to find extra boxes at the local Wal-mart if you run out. 

Take the 25-06 vs 257W debate (box ammo, not hand-loading, where the 25-06 can be dialed in to be virtually identical in performance). 

The 257 is Flatter.  Faster.  More kinetic energy.  It also burns more powder, costs a lot more, and will foul your barrel much faster.  For the vast majority of hunting scenarios this is unnecessary (500yds and in).  And if you thinking about extreme ranges (recreation, not hunting), the 6.5C with it's superior ballistic coefficient smokes them both.  

9 hours ago, thestud said:

I’m northwest of weatherford in palo pinto county

Our place is between Coleman and Ballinger.  Not a damn pig in site.  Yet in the northern part of the county where all the oaks are, they are a thick as older Ag's on a sale for cargo shorts and crocs.  I use Hall's processing in Coleman sometimes and they are always processing hogs.  Big ones.  I come in from Frisco, so we cross through Weatherford on every trip.  Nice country out there.  

You guys get any rain recently?  See on the forecast next week a round may be moving in, so we'll see

Edited by BabaYaga

13 minutes ago, thestud said:

It’s been rough. The Surprise Complex Fire in June was about 7 miles south of us. About 10 years ago the entire ranch we hunt and several more were burnt crispy and it’s just now starting to recover.

That's scary.  No doubt.  The O&G guys have to really be careful.  Had a fire last year from an idling diesel truck's catalytic converter.  All this g-damned broomweed.  Doesn't take much.  I will say after a burn, assuming there were no structural damages - man the places really shines.  Get's all the clumped undergrrowth away.  Entertained a few ideas about controlled burns, but just can't risk it.