The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

29 minutes ago, bigshark88 said:

How hard is it to buy that? For a guy with no Class III items?

Does it run? Or does it choke a lot because AO makes it?

1 - probably about as hard as buying a can (suppressor) - the same tax stamp process with the ATF.

2 - I have no idea - never have seen one much less handled or fired one. Here's a forum where owners discuss them and their problems:

http://www.kahrtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?16-Thompson

Edited by Armybrat

My wife has always wanted one.  I know one can purchase it at gunbroker, but I was interested in a local store.  So to answer your question, I guess she's Cagney.

Hold up just a damn minute. Your wife wants a Tommy Gun? I also don’t recall you posting in the “wives and the stupid shit they do” thread. I’d like to call your attention to this graph sir. It sounds like you may be in the “Danger Zone” or the “Sub-Unicorn Zone”.

ef98968711127eb363a3820464f068b9.jpeg
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, 686 said:

Hold up just a damn minute. Your wife wants a Tommy Gun? I also don’t recall you posting in the “wives and the stupid shit they do” thread. I’d like to call your attention to this graph sir. It sounds like you may be in the “Danger Zone” or the “Sub-Unicorn Zone”.

ef98968711127eb363a3820464f068b9.jpeg

Yep, I thought about that quite a bit after I read what I typed.  Forget I ask the question.

Yep, I thought about that quite a bit after I read what I typed.  Forget I ask the question.

I think we’re gonna need more info here amigo. Where did she see a Thompson and say “hey that’s cool, I want to get one someday”? Did she grow up around guns or just get into shooting as an adult?
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, 686 said:

I think we’re gonna need more info here amigo. Where did she see a Thompson and say “hey that’s cool, I want to get one someday”? Did she grow up around guns or just get into shooting as an adult?

She is a casual shooter.  She watches all the gangster movies, and shit on TV.  Just loves the weapon, that's all I can guess.  Unless she wants to make swiss cheese out of me.

Edited by jettrink

On ‎5‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 8:29 PM, bigshark88 said:
On ‎5‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 6:47 PM, jettrink said:
Nice site.  But they don't include the 1927 A1 in the purchase options.  Thanks for posting that Brat.

Their own forum made it seem like a lemon. Pass

Good move. Not a practical firearm either.

I’m in a 10mm revolver worm hole.  Got a new Blackhawk and refitted with rosewood grips-  pics when I can figure it out - thank imgur.  

Just found a nib 610sw no dash from ‘99 on gunbroker and have been looking at GP100’s and the REDHAWK. 

Tryingnot to buy the 610 - 2 days left in the auction.   Not sure how this obsession started but the struggle is real. 

On 5/27/2018 at 11:37 AM, Reagan1k said:

I’m in a 10mm revolver worm hole.  Got a new Blackhawk and refitted with rosewood grips-  pics when I can figure it out - thank imgur.  

Just found a nib 610sw no dash from ‘99 on gunbroker and have been looking at GP100’s and the REDHAWK. 

Tryingnot to buy the 610 - 2 days left in the auction.   Not sure how this obsession started but the struggle is real. 

Unless you handload ammunition manufacturers woefully under load the 10mm.  It’s a damn shame as it’s an amazing round.  Ballistic comparability to the .41 Mag.  

On 5/23/2018 at 7:16 PM, Armybrat said:

1 - probably about as hard as buying a can (suppressor) - the same tax stamp process with the ATF.

2 - I have no idea - never have seen one much less handled or fired one. Here's a forum where owners discuss them and their problems:

http://www.kahrtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?16-Thompson

Tommy-guns are surprisingly easy to shoot on full auto and way more accurate than I had thought in semi or full auto.  

3 hours ago, Nivek said:

Tommy-guns are surprisingly easy to shoot on full auto and way more accurate than I had thought in semi or full auto.  

Since a gangster in the 30's could write his name with it, I'm not surprised.  There is a full auto for sale for 22,400, but I can have a lot of fun in Vegas for that amount!  Ha Ha

Please tell us more about your free Glock.

Last year I bought 4 handguns on sale and they also all had cash rebates. The rebate cash total was enough to cover the cost of my new Kahr CW9 (which also had a free extra magazine promo going):

3_FEF0_DF6_BF15_4_A89_A95_D_963236_CEA54

Edited by Armybrat

My wife has finally seen the light and is fully onboard with getting her LTC.  I had previously gotten her the 9mm shield in hopes she would eventually want to carry but she has trouble with the slide.  We looked at several other options and decided on the Shield 380 EZ.  What are some good holster options for women?  She's looked at the few that I have and doesn't like them.  I've got the Alien Gear that I use daily and a couple of other kydex ones.  She thinks those are too bulky.   Help!!

After a few years of thinking about it, I have decided to get my CCL. I hadn't handled a pistol in years, so I went to my local gun store and took a beginner/refresher class and it went well. I used a Glock 19 on the range and while I think it's great, I just don't want to pay $600+.  But I also need something big enough, as I have pretty large hands. 

So I need a 9mm that's small enough to conceal but big enough for my hand at a reasonable price. Thoughts?

After a few years of thinking about it, I have decided to get my CCL. I hadn't handled a pistol in years, so I went to my local gun store and took a beginner/refresher class and it went well. I used a Glock 19 on the range and while I think it's great, I just don't want to pay $600+.  But I also need something big enough, as I have pretty large hands. 

So I need a 9mm that's small enough to conceal but big enough for my hand at a reasonable price. Thoughts?

Striker, SA or SA/DA?

You looking for max rounds or max concealment or somewhere in the middle?

The favs are:

Glock g19, g26, g43

Springfield XD/m, XDs or XDe

S&W MP and/or shield

Sig p225 carry, p320 carry, p365

HK p2000 / p2000sk, VP, P30 / p30sk

1911s in compact or carry

I roll a HK p2000 in an appendix kydex holster and at 6’1” 200lb, I don’t print unless I’m wearing a snug shirt and even then it’s not glaring unless you are specifically looking for it.

I also have a 1911 Kimber pro carry HD that I carried at 4 o’clock iwb and it didn’t print either. I’ve retired her from carry.

As long as you don’t have Andre the giant hands, most any “carry” model won’t be too small, when you drop to compact you might need to invest in a magazine pinky extension to help grip, and ultra compacts probably will be too small.

Cabelas is great for holding a ton of different models. You can find better prices elsewhere though.

12 minutes ago, Speedtrucker said:

Striker, SA or SA/DA?
You looking for max rounds or max concealment or somewhere in the middle?

The favs are:
Glock any of them
Springfield xD, XDs or XDe
S&W MP and/or shield
Sig p225, p320, p365
HK p2000, VP, P30
1911s in compact or carry

I roll a HK p2000 in an appendix kydex holster and at 6’1” 200lb, I don’t print unless I’m wearing a snug shirt and even then it’s not glaring unless you are specifically looking for it.

I also have a 1911 Kimber pro carry HD that I carried at 4 o’clock iwb and it didn’t print either. I’ve retired her from carry.

As long as you don’t have Andre the giant hands, most any “carry” model won’t be too small, when you drop to compact you might need to invest in a magazine pinky extension to help grip, and ultra compacts probably will be too small.

Cabelas is great for holding a ton of different models. You can find better prices elsewhere though.

I don't think my hands are abnormally large but I'm not a small guy (6'6", 285). The Glock 19 fit me pretty well but I'd need to add the thicker backstrap. I really like the Glocks but I just don't want to spend that much. 

Ok yeah stay away from anything under a “carry” model. Carry or full size.

I’d also recommend you stick with double stack pistols because a lot of the smaller pistols have gone single stack to be slimmer.

If you want to stay under $500 you can look at
Springfield
FN
CZ
S&W

Sig & HK are gonna be more around Glock prices $500-600 usually.

All can be had on sales though.

I use gun.deals and their app for sales.

• Like 1

The Ruger Security 9 is a slim doublestack 15+1 hammer-fired 9mm that is a bit smaller than a full size and runs about $300 to $320. They are getting good reviews by owners:

https://ruger.com/products/security9/specSheets/3810.html

Then there is the striker-fired very slim single stack EC9s for under $250:

https://ruger.com/products/ec9s/specSheets/3283.html

But as Speedtrucker said - go to a Cabella's (or an Academy) to physically handle their many offering to see what you initially are comfortable with. Then go to a gun range that rents the type you like to see how they actually shoot for you or your spouse.

Edited by Armybrat
  • Like 2

Are you in Austin and not a felon? I have one that I'd sell.

1 hour ago, Tap said:
7 hours ago, Sandman said:

Are you in Austin and not a felon? I have one that I'd sell.

I appreciate that but I'm in the OKC area.

3 minutes ago, Sandman said:

Check out Sooner State Pawn they have a good selection of used guns and online inventory. 

OKshooters.com has an active classifieds section, Glocks get posted regularly. 

1 minute ago, Tap said:
10 minutes ago, Sandman said:

Ah, if you are in Oklahoma you should probably get a 45 anyhow. I hear methheads are harder to take down.

He’d be good with a. .25, methheads are skinny he wouldn’t need all that penetration. 

Police trade ins can be had closer to $400.

Also, veterans can get a blue label (L/E) price this summer.

M&P9 or 9c 2.0 are similar but less expensive. CZ P10c is glock like and comes with a great trigger. Ruger SR9c is similar size and probably the least expensive of the bunch.

If you want closer to $300, Bersa makes a couple models that are underrated quality shooter (BP9cc and one other model I’ve shot but can’t remember the name)