The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

Be a heck of a sidearm out West or in the mountains.  Bears, etc.  Ballistics are similar to a .41Mag.  Superior in every way to a lumbering .45ACP (even with +p) in terms of penetration in a lightweight platform.  I've carried a 1911 in semi-high country (New Mexico) and it sucked ass.  It's heavy (the issue with 44/454/460/50 pistols). No bueno in the mountains.  It's also a nice gun.  Not something I want to subject to the elements if I don't have to.   

Love the 10mm.  Recently grabbed the G40 and a stainless Blackhawk 10mm/.40 convertible among others.  G40 is a great hunting handgun using the MOS sight.  

Hopefully adding a Tangfolio 10mm  soon and another Delta Elite.

Really  Shopping for the right deal on a S&W 610 now too.  

I’ve loved  the 10mm since Col. Cooper championed it in the 80’s.  

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, cabowabo said:

Humblebrag alert.

Haha, learned on my g-mothers single-shot .410.  Got pretty good with it.  It was her barn-cat & snake gun.  Lord, I wish we still had it.  Knocked more than a few doves out of the sky with it before graduating to a H&R single-shot 20g.  

19 minutes ago, Reagan1k said:

The CZ 455 American Combo is a helluva deal and a nice gun.

Interchangeable between .22lr and .17hmr.  

Getting two quality rifles for under $600 is a deal, and the .17 is a blast to shoot.

Agreed.  .17 is a righteous little round.  Small game, it's ruthless.  And pigs, put one right in their ear.  

Well, I got it!  

S&W 610 (no-dash) 10mm 6.5” NIB from ‘91...so pristine there are no turn marks on the cylinder.... still in the plastic with box, papers, etc. 

Pics to follow as soon as I figure out how to do that in Surly. 

I’m a tad pumped about it.  

• Like 3

Agree with above.  You should buy the AR if you want one but it's not going to change your hog numbers.

Pour a line of corn out going away from where you are sitting and shoot them with the .300 and you'll double/triple up some since they'll line up for you.

In reality, your shooting them won't affect the population much, but they're smart and they will go nocturnal if under some pressure so at least they won't screw up deer hunts.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mapplewhite132 said:

Just got a new deer lease with a bit of a hog problem. Any recs for something semi auto to kill pigs in volume? I am a hunter more than a gun guy and my only rifle as of now is a model 70 300 win mag. 

Sounds like a good time to enter into the glorius world of NFA weaponry.  

Get an affordable 5.56.  Throw some glass on it.  Get used to it.  Don't invest in "hunting" ammo or any crap like that.  Just basic ball or green tip works just fine. 

Here's the problem with intermittent shooting.  They throw litters x2 a year and have very few natural predators in the wild.  Popping the older, larger ones just removes a barrier to entry for the smaller ones.  Only way to really impact their numbers is with traps....and that's a full time job (have fun removing a dozen dead hogs from a trap a week after they died....).

Best thing I've found is set up areas for them apart from your feeders.  Don't shoot them there.  Leave them alone but put pressure on them everywhere else.  Needs to be near water if possible.  As far away from your deer feeders are you can set them. 

"Hog pipes" (your mom joke here...) work great.  If you can, attach to the oldest, nastiest, creosote soaked railroad tie anchored in the ground upright.  Perfect hog scratching post.  Then attach the pipe on top with a chain (think tetherball).  Use soaked corn.  Put in bucket with water and add koolaid and let sit in the sun for a week.  Drives them crazy.  Deer won't touch it.  You can also bury this soaked corn in a few feet down.  They'll go crazy digging it up. 

"Hog pipe"

• Like 1

You can also bolster your feeders.  16ft cattle panels, anchored with t-posts and reinforced with t-posts (they have to be close together) in a circle (not a square or rectangle) as there are no angles they can use to get their noses under.  

See the link.  This is for a simple trap.  If you get out there a lot, that's fine.  But if you cant' get out there all the time, you'll have a bunch of bloated, dead hogs that smell great.  But see how tight the posts and panels are.  You can model this for an area around your feeders also.  

Round enclosure

4 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

in a circle (not a square or rectangle) as there are no angles they can use to get their noses under.  

^^^^ That's the truth.  Years ago before hogs were even a consideration, we had a square pen around a big gravity feeder.  Pen was built with cows in mind - not hogs.

Fast forward to hog issues and we had a break-in one year.  While I was trying to repair it, I noticed a pool of dried blood and what looked like pieces of snout at the corner where there was some overlap of the panel across the T-post.

Those panels are sharp on the ends where the horizontal wire sticks out past the vertical corner and that hog had torn his own ass up getting in there.  I guess it was worth it to him because he finally worked the corner open and let the rest of his tribe in to the buffet.

Don't give them any point to exert leverage and pry.

38 minutes ago, Reagan1k said:

Those panels are sharp on the ends where the horizontal wire sticks out past the vertical corner and that hog had torn his own ass up getting in there.  I guess it was worth it to him because he finally worked the corner open and let the rest of his tribe in to the buffet.

Don't give them any point to exert leverage and pry.

Known a few guys that would bury the panels a foot or so down into the ground for this very problem.  Seems like a massive PITA unless you have a trencher.  

21 hours ago, Jkwellborn said:

Build a good feed pen and cut down on your problems.

Feed pen and 50 pounds of tannerite.  Take out 15 at a time.  Build a new feed pen on the other side of the property when they all scramble over there.  Blast them again.  Lay down a few claymores and you'll have the lease cleared in an evening.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, BabaYaga said:

YouTube + Hogs + Tannerite will take you down a long, and glorious rabbit hole of one awesome video after another.  Same with Hogs & helicopter hunts.  

A tannerite/hog video was posted on the shit snow cone site and people posted in the thread bitching about it.      

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, davidg said:

A tannerite/hog video was posted on the shit snow cone site and people posted in the thread bitching about it.      

JFC....Those people need to get over themselves.  They'll bitch about pigs, then say jack squat about factory farming or industrial farms grinding up thousands of small animals as crows and vultures swirl overhead as they bake in the sun.