The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

20 hours ago, BurntEyes said:

Okay, this thread has gone into the 1911 rabbit hole.

I'll first state there are entire formums dedicated to just 1911 discussion. I'll provide a link later.

On 1911 it's SO subjective.

Dan Wesson Valor is, imo, the best non-semi custom 1911.

In the lower market I much prefer the Ruger product over all the others, however I own a Springfield Armory and the qty is on par or better than Ruger. Springfield has higher variences than Ruger.

I'm a Colt guy, but good greif quality control has suffered.

In the semi-custom world, I've owned Baer, Wilson and Brown.

Baers are far too tight for practical use, Wilson's are over priced, Ed Browns are perfect. Now I repeat, it's highly subjective. I own 5 Browns and I wouldn't trade them for any 1911. This is a game of spending thousands to determine your preference.

Or.. you could get a Dan Wesson, Ruger or Springfield and call it a day.

I own two Springfield 1911's, one in .45acp, one in .400 CorBon, would not trade them for ANYTHING else.

59 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

I can't own a 1911 in 9mm for no logical reasonable reason. Purely pyscological reasons. However, I much prefer 9mm in plastic guns.

Yep.  I can say I've spent some time around IDPA & 3-gun match competitors and had a little trigger time with some custom 9mm 1911's.  Man.  Like butter.  Smooth.  Virtually no recoil.  High(er) capacity.  You get that amazing 1911 trigger and weight.  That being said.  I have a 45acp 1911 and to me that's the standard.  But would be nice a nice compliment.  Especially in a compact model (or bobtail), but that's a very low priority with all the other gun options I have queued up right now.....;) 

But in a polymer frame.  9mm all the way.  Higher capacity.  Easier to control than the snappy .40 S&W.  Cheap to practice will (ball ammo).  Modern ammunition quality has given the 9mm new legs.  In ballistic gel penetration (in the end, arguably the most important factor) & cavitation tests it performs quite well.  Vacillate between Gold Dot 147 & 115gr.  

Seen what both can do to a hog.  Dug out expanded rounds fairly deep in soft tissue and bone.  Through the gristle patch in the neck.  Etc.  

On 1/14/2019 at 7:43 AM, BurntEyes said:

Okay, this thread has gone into the 1911 rabbit hole.

I'll first state there are entire formums dedicated to just 1911 discussion. I'll provide a link later.

On 1911 it's SO subjective.

Dan Wesson Valor is, imo, the best non-semi custom 1911.

In the lower market I much prefer the Ruger product over all the others, however I own a Springfield Armory and the qty is on par or better than Ruger. Springfield has higher variences than Ruger.

I'm a Colt guy, but good greif quality control has suffered.

In the semi-custom world, I've owned Baer, Wilson and Brown.

Baers are far too tight for practical use, Wilson's are over priced, Ed Browns are perfect. Now I repeat, it's highly subjective. I own 5 Browns and I wouldn't trade them for any 1911. This is a game of spending thousands to determine your preference.

Or.. you could get a Dan Wesson, Ruger or Springfield and call it a day.

I actually settled on the Sig 1911.  I wanted something with a light rail, something with reasonable tolerances and at a reasonable price (<$1,000).  Should have waited and purchased the Scorpion....

Something I would "use" (I'd be scared to scuff a Wilson or Nighthawk).  It's more accurate than I am and I have never had any FTF's or FTE's.  And it's a little scuffed up.  Worn.  And At the ranch.  Secured with a decent nylon holster, the weight isn't an issue.  Sits in a nightstand safe with night sights and a flashlight attachment.  The weight and stability of the 1911 frame make for such a steady platform to use.  

Speaking of 1911's - The CMP is having trouble with their software and it may be March before those who sent in an intent-to-buy packet will know where they are in line.

1911 UPDATE- JANUARY 8, 2019

We are working on assigning the random numbers to the 19,000 packets we have received and notifying every one of their number.  Due to software issues and technical difficulties this is taking longer than anticipated.  We are also having problems with the NIC’s system, we are working closely with the FBI NICs team & ATF to rectify this problem.

– PLEASE BE PATIENT! It may be March before everyone is notified of their random number.

Please DO NOT CONTACT US ASKING WHAT YOUR NUMBER IS.

You might consider adding a beavertail.

I like the old school Government look - bought a Series 70 stainless Colt several years ago which now belongs to my DIL. My first 1911 however was a SA GI in stainless, purchased new about 12 years ago and gifted it to my son in 2015. Went cheap for the last one - this Remington R1 - it was only $399 after the cash rebate. The fit & finish are very good, and it shoots better than I do - the 3 dot sights are nice for my old eyes. No hiccups at all, so I think it's quite a bargain for the "basic" platform.

26-B17233-B785-4010-A50-E-14632-E06-F5-E

Edited by Armybrat
old
  • Like 1

First of all, thanks for all the info on this thread.  As one who grew up with very anti-gun parents, I'm way behind when it comes to information and terminology.

Does anyone know what the law is re: reciprocity and moving to another state?  I got my carry license in TN.  It's good through 2022.  I now live in DFW.  Would I need to update or get a new license here in TX or does the reciprocity stand w/ a TN license even though I live here now?

Thanks.  I get reciprocity as it pertains to travel.  Are the rules the same when someone gets a license in TN but moves to TX?  I.E. do I just run with my TN license until it expires in 2022 and get a TX version or would I be doing something illegal by assuming my currently valid TN concealed license is ok now that I live in TX?

No it is not a drivers license. I know numerous people that are licensed through other states but have never lived anywhere but Texas. Multiple states only require online application and the submission of fingerprints, no classes and all the other jazz.

His out of state chl will have his out of state address. When you move in Texas, you have 30 days to update your Texas LTC. Unless they’ve changed it since I renewed. I’m wondering if it would apply to an out of state license. The people you know with an out of state license have the same address on it.

Yes, it might not be a big deal but my guess is that it's technically a violation in some way and they could hassle you for it if they wanted to. 

I got my Texas LTC in the fall and it was EXTREMELY easy compared to how other people have described it in the past. In fact, I kind of thought it was a little too easy and not taken seriously enough by the instructor and the students. The instructor was more interested in selling prepaid legal services. 

Pretty sure you could still carry on your TN license while you went through the Texas process, too. That's not in the FAQ on the website but I think a quick call to DPS could clear that up.

• Like 1

FWIW, the TN carry class was 8 hours long with a written and shooting test.  Believe it or not, I was shooting a hand gun for the 2nd time in my life when I took the test.  I was actually worried I wouldn't pass - as crazy as that sounds now.  I had purchased the gun and shot it at the range (about 50 rounds) one week and took the class the next.  Luckily, one of the guys that ran the place had a practice laser pistol and was giving me pointers during the break.

I did have a bb gun on my grandfather's farm as a kid and shot a .22 once.  :)

What are you missing here? It’s not a problem that he has an out of state chl. He’s gonna have to change the address on the damn thing. We get that you know people with an out of state license. Have they moved while licensed? Did they have to change the address on the license to match the one on their DL? Because in Texas, with a Texas LTC, you’ve got 30 days to make them match.

1 hour ago, BurntEyes said:

Note:

There should be nation wide reciprocity.

However, to do so it would need to be a federal law as the variance between the state laws on carry. (Vermont is constitutional no license no class. California and NY  is basically rich people and security guards only)

That however, probably also means a national concealed carry permit. Which means federal registration, which they will likely be forced to publish.

Also, NY, IL and CA are going to fight that to the extreme, because they don't believe in the second amendment save for rich people, politicians and security for those people.

This has gone full cloak. Sigh.

I don't think there would need to be a federal license, just federal minimal standards for state licenses. Something like how drivers licenses are managed. Would also need to be maximum standards to keep states like California from making it too burdensome to get.

Yes, it might not be a big deal but my guess is that it's technically a violation in some way and they could hassle you for it if they wanted to. 
I got my Texas LTC in the fall and it was EXTREMELY easy compared to how other people have described it in the past. In fact, I kind of thought it was a little too easy and not taken seriously enough by the instructor and the students. The instructor was more interested in selling prepaid legal services. 
Pretty sure you could still carry on your TN license while you went through the Texas process, too. That's not in the FAQ on the website but I think a quick call to DPS could clear that up.

On CC certs, they are a little like driving schools way back in the day or training classes at gun shops.
They vary, some doing the minimum required to get you passed. Some take it seriously and want you to be safe. Some going a little on tilt with safety and rules to extreme ends.
In between serious and extreme is the right fit for me.. but i have/had licenses in 5 states and one in the 3rd most difficult to obtain state, IL. CA and NY being #1 and #2.
Vermont, got a gun, carry it if you want. Which is frankly, how it really should be with classes being a strongly recommend option. But.. that's cloak shit I'm not going any further into.

The classes changed a decent amount once it went to LTC with open carry.

My previous experience was a lot more law about concealed carry, printing, etc...

Once open carry got rid of a lot of the worry about what is concealed and what isnt, they basically had to teach a lot less.

Once I came back to Texas I took a LTC class and it was completely different. The hour was like 30 minutes of law, the mental responsibility should you have to draw, a 15 min PowerPoint and then the test.

More people had problems with the range portion before the class portion and even then it wasn’t bad. We had a couple take the test with handguns they had never fired, the guy got a nasty snake bite from holding the pistol really poorly... the girl failed the first time but it was because she was double tapping and triple tapping like it was a speed competition. Her 2nd test was a breeze, basically the whole shoot 5 rounds with 2 second intervals was throwing her off.

So yeah once Texas went open carry a lot of the class stuff got easier

23 hours ago, Knoxtnhorn said:

FWIW, the TN carry class was 8 hours long with a written and shooting test.  Believe it or not, I was shooting a hand gun for the 2nd time in my life when I took the test.  I was actually worried I wouldn't pass - as crazy as that sounds now.  I had purchased the gun and shot it at the range (about 50 rounds) one week and took the class the next.  Luckily, one of the guys that ran the place had a practice laser pistol and was giving me pointers during the break.

I did have a bb gun on my grandfather's farm as a kid and shot a .22 once.  :)

You're a real J.B. Books now....

• Like 2

20 hours ago, BurntEyes said:

Well, technically you can get a valid Florida permit and carry legally in Texas as they issue permits to non-residents. Just like Utah and Virginia. So you won't find that anywhere.

The issue with Knox is, and I would need to verify, that like Texas CHL or Drivers license after x amount of time or upon establishing resident in another state your TX CHL is no longer valid. Or in his case his TN license is no longer valid. Like driving on an invalid license there are penalties if you are caught. So if Texas had allowed me, as an out of state resident to maintain my license, I would not have needed a TN one. They don't so I did. There are exemptions but I don't qualify.

Lots of info at site

https://www.texaschlforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=77967

Moving to TX - Non Resident Permit During Transition

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

13 posts • Page 1 of 1

Topic author
Mark Theriot Junior Member Posts in topic: 4 Posts: 4 Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:34 am Location: Westlake, TX Contact:

Post by Mark Theriot » Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:42 am

New guy alert! :patriot:

God has blessed my family, we get to return to TX after 30 years in the "North"! I currently have a Utah CCL that covers me in TX but once I formally become a TX resident, I'd prefer not to be unarmed while waiting for my TX CCL. As soon as I start working back in TX (at least 30-45 days before we move officially) I'd like to get a non-resident CCL.

My question is: if you have a non-resident CCL and you become a resident, is there a process to just transition you license - or do you have to start over with a resident application and wait time?

Thanks in advance!

Mark

WildBill Senior Member Posts in topic: 1 Posts: 16639 Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:53 pm Location: Houston

Post by WildBill » Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:56 am

Mark Theriot wrote:New guy alert! :patriot:

God has blessed my family, we get to return to TX after 30 years in the "North"! I currently have a Utah CCL that covers me in TX but once I formally become a TX resident, I'd prefer not to be unarmed while waiting for my TX CCL. As soon as I start working back in TX (at least 30-45 days before we move officially) I'd like to get a non-resident CCL.

My question is: if you have a non-resident CCL and you become a resident, is there a process to just transition you license - or do you have to start over with a resident application and wait time?

Thanks in advance!

Mark
Mark - Welcome to Texas and the CHL Forum. :txflag:

There is no transition process. You will have to start from scratch with the application. The wait time is much shorter than when I got my CHL. [That is one reason the got my Utah CCL after I got my Texas license.] I don't understand your concern. Once you move to Texas your Utah CCL will cover you until you get the Texas CHL. There is no longer a minimum time requirement for residency before getting a Texas CHL. Just don't wait until your Utah CCL gets too close to expiring.
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Jkwellborn said:

I took my class with a woman that I’m pretty sure had never fired a gun before, and one with a brand new gun. It was probably her second time to shoot.

2nd wife wanted a gun for protection. Bought her a little Taurus .380 I thought she could handle. When I tried to train her on it, I fired a few rounds to demonstrate then handed the weapon over to her. She held it like a hand grenade about to explode and naturally lost control as soon as she pulled the trigger and dropped it. That was it, she was done with training, it was all bullshit, but still wanted to carry the gun. I sold it an hour later. Got rid of her not long after that.

• Like 2

See the aforementioned comment re: my pacifist, anti-gun upbringing.  The closest thing to a Western that ever made it through our front door was Dances With Wolves.

Go home tonight and rent The Shootist. John Wayne, Lauren Bacall, Scatman Crothers, Ron Howard, Harry Morgan, Richard Boone and Jimmy Stewart.
  • Like 2