The Gun Owner’s thread

BigDHornfan

1 hour ago, BurntEyes said:

EDC - Depends on specifics. 

bigger shirt/jacket and pants: 

Ed Brown Cobra Carry LW or Ed Brown Special Forces or Ed Brown Cobra Carry or Ed Brown... (you get the point)

In a Milt Sparks VM2 (6 month wait but best leather holsters in the industry. Which is why there is a 6 month wait)

TShirt and lighter gear

G43 in Comp-Tac Infidel

Tighter clothing or when I really want to avoid printing:

G42 in Comp-Tac Infidel

Shorts and athletic gear - JFrame in Milt Spark pocket holster or Colt Mustang in Milt Sparks pocket holser, or Springfield 911 in pocket holster

On my land:

Ruger 1782 or S&W L-Comp in Milt Sparks HSR

I have no opinion on the 43X other than I wear the 43 because of its size. I also shoot in IDPA bug (or did) I don't want a double stack, because I wear it due to its size. 

Seems we're not too far off:

Colder weather:  Sig 1911 or P220

At the ranch:  Kel Tec PMR 30 

Bare minimum (light shorts, heading to grocery store, etc):  NAA .22mag in pocket (w/ cheap leather pocket holster)

It's the lighter/warmer weather I'm exploring - hence the 43 "X".  The original 43, even with extended mag doesn't give me the 10 round capacity I want and the 26 is too stubby and harder for me to hold.  

I wouldn't fault anyone for choosing the x and the variance is small. Shot placement is king. Do what works for you. I won''t spend the money to get 4 extra rounds, but might go x were I buying today. 

If I am going some place I know is sketchy, which is very very rare.... I carry the Ed Brown right and the G42 left. 

Agree - I'd never go from 43 to 43X, but as I currently own neither, I'll go with the higher capacity.  I fire Glocks well (19's & 17's) as it is as long as I can get my big meat-hooks around the grip and anchor well.  Having my little finger under the mag doesn't do it for me (as a matter of preference).  

I see a federal appeals court judge has declared the California ban on standard capacity magazines is unconstitutional. Now a bunch of suppliers are sending 20 & 30 round mags out there by the truckload.

Good for the law-abiding California citizens. 👍

• Like 7

Do you have a 2nd and 3rd climate controlled safe for all the Grade AAA, VI wood you’ve been getting?
Obvious answer is your mom.
I see a federal appeals court judge has declared the California ban on standard capacity magazines is unconstitutional. Now a bunch of suppliers are sending 20 & 30 round mags out there by the truckload.
Good for the law-abiding California citizens. 

This is great news. Maybe a few more dumb ass fee good laws will disappear. (Looking at you NFA)

12 hours ago, Llano Estacado said:

Do you have a 2nd and 3rd climate controlled safe for all the Grade AAA, VI wood you’ve been getting?

That will be a bit harder to sneak inside past the wife.  But yes, I've got a little collection going.  For the grandkids.  Need to find a smith to start massaging the actual steel and start getting them together.  22-250, likely 270, and either 308/7-08 at the moment.

16 hours ago, Armybrat said:

Gorgeous wood.

Thank you.

15 hours ago, BabaYaga said:

Beautiful!

Thank you.

8 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

I would hope that we could just jack off to each other''s guns here and not get political.  I'm a Californian, and I've got STRONG feelings about this, but this ain't the place for this discussion.  

Anyway, carry on. 

Fuck California. 

• Like 6

357 is still unpleasant in the gun, but notably improved.  With the additional weight, a touch longer barrel, the extended grip, the great trigger, very good sights and amazing finish... I really, really want to keep it. Were it for anyone besides the most amazing and important person I've ever known, I just might. 

Good on you!  So I can attest to a very sore wrist from those untralight wheel guns.  My hand felt like I grabbed a live electric fence when I was younger - .357mag from one of those little airlight/scandium framed little monsters.  

So California being able to buy standard capacity mags did not last long.  Ends today at 5p.  The stay was issued by the same court and judge who ruled in favor of the plaintiffs last Friday?  What a clown show.

I wonder how many mags were ordered to California in a week?

Sheet metal, few spot welds, & springs (and any 'follower' from a very safe and benign "low-capacity" mag).  We used to make "high capacity" mags in shop class.  Think I may even still have a few.  Not hard to make (although hard to make good ones).  Such a stupid law.  

10 hours ago, Hozz said:

So California being able to buy standard capacity mags did not last long.  Ends today at 5p.  The stay was issued by the same court and judge who ruled in favor of the plaintiffs last Friday?  What a clown show.

I wonder how many mags were ordered to California in a week?

A metric fuck ton lol.  I went to grabagun to pick up my Emperor Scorpion 1911 yesterday and the guy told me they cannot keep up with demand right now.  Saw they have the Nickel 1911 listed at under $900.  First time I’ve seen that.  Usually can’t find it for less than $1100.

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Lat22 said:

A .380 revolver?

Yeah, the cops told me it was a .380 revolver. I'm not a gun guy so I couldn't tell if it was a real gun or a pellet gun just from looking at it in the holster and of course I didn't touch it. The cops had their backs towards me while they picked it up with gloves and tried to check if it was loaded so I couldn't get a very good look at it once they started handling it. They said they were gonna take it and run the serial number to see if it had been reported stolen and were gonna check it for prints.

I was just glad my daughter and her friend had the sense to not touch it and to tell an adult about it. 

Yes, they did the smart thing.

Several  years ago my grandson walked out the back sliding door of their house and saw a handgun that had been dropped right there below the door. Told his dad who then called the cops.

Turns out the gun belonged to a former neighbor lady who had been trespassing around several homes in the area over a few months period. A couple of weeks later the mentally disturbed woman came to Son’s door asking if she could have her gun back. He told her to go to the police station and to stay the fuck away from his house.

He checked back with the officer a few days later to learn that they returned the gun to her. WTF?

Edited by Armybrat

How many of you Surly bastards carry an extra magazine, for your pip Squeak pistolas?

If I’m carrying a 9mm or smaller, you can damn bet I’ve got an extra mag.

I’m 50/50 if I’ve got an extra mag on me. That ratio goes up in favor of an extra in the cooler/colder months and down in the hotter months. If I’m carrying my backpack and not headed into a courthouse for the day I’ve got more than 1 extra.

5 hours ago, Armybrat said:

No extra mag. My carry piece is just to cover my retreat from the scene.

Am not going to get in an extended John Wick shootout with hordes of ISIS & ninja assholes.

So, this buddy of mine lives in a dicey neighborhood, with his garage off the alley.  We were out there fucking around with an old car one afternoon.  My buddy goes into his house as it's getting dark and comes back with a glock with 2 extra mags, saying "there are some sketchy mofos in this alley at night". 

I'm like really? The neighborhood is so bad that you might need to fire 45 rounds?   It's time to move, asshole. 

23 hours ago, msucolt45 said:

How many of you Surly bastards carry an extra magazine, for your pip Squeak pistolas?

If I’m carrying a 9mm or smaller, you can damn bet I’ve got an extra mag.

I do not.  Statistically, most self-defense situation last just a few seconds.  If I DID need to reload, there wouldn't be time.

Just one extra mag? I am, of course, usually carrying a pair of ceramic plates in my briefcase so that I can shield my head. My SO (we work as a team when necessary) has a similar accessory containing a breakdown NEF single-shot 300 WinMag with an 18" bbl. The plan is that I shield us with my body and “catch the rounds” while she assembles the NEF. I lay down covering fire with my 23 (Bar-Sto .357 Sig barrel) and she makes the long shots. I will then throw smoke grenades to obscure the area while continuing to lay covering fire. The problem, of course, is when I have to turn my back to run, and then the problem crops up.

• Like 1

For everyday carry, no I do not carry an extra mag.  I carry a 30S or G19 every day, so 10 or 15 rounds is plenty for the statistically unlikely event that I will be involved in a gunfight.  

If I am doing some sort of security related work, then an extra magazine is in the Tier 1 appendix holster, either 9mm or .45

When traveling, I do carry an extra mag in the car or my backpack.  After throwing a couple of forgotten mags away at the airport, they tend to be in my car.